ImageImageImageImageImage

Stipulated, Wiseman is not ready.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

He should play a D league stretch this year and trades should be on the table.

a) So stipulated. Wiseman is not ready (and may never be.) He should play an extended D league stretch this year and trades should be on the table.
73%
b) I have my head up my bunghole
27%

Total votes: 33

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,904

Re: Stipulated, Wiseman is not ready. 

Post#21 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:33 pm

Chupchup wrote:Wiseman is going to make 12 mil next year so that means we likely have to trade someone next year if Draymond opts in. Now if Lacob says he'll pay for everything then cool, we can keep whoever.

We can't play him 10-12 mins a game because we are losing. I don't necessarily know if it's because of Wiseman but the bench squad needed improvement. If we are winning then sure play him 10-12 mins but not sure if that makes a difference. Playing him 30+ mins in G league I think could have the same impact if he dominates.

Given that JW and JMG (the other culprit often identified as the source of the 2nd unit's woes) both didn't play last game and the 2nd unit still looked bad, it would seem to indicate that the problem(s) are deeper than just those two. I think we all expected the 2nd unit to play better without both of them; if we benched one and looked as bad as we did, we could always blame the other guy. Since the clear leader of the 2nd unit is JP, seems that is where we can get the most improvement if he can play more effectively. Seems that JP needs to be a reliable threat on offense and at least neutral on defense. And no, I don't think that just the return of DDV will suddenly cure all our 2nd unit problems.

I think G-league time can help a player if we believe he can significantly improve with significantly more playing time. I don't think it is necessarily beneficial if we are just trying to trade that player. GM's won't want to give up value for a good G-league player; they can sign their own G-league players without trading key assets for one.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#22 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:38 pm

Samurai wrote:. Since the clear leader of the 2nd unit is JP, seems that is where we can get the most improvement if he can play more effectively. Seems that JP needs to be a reliable threat on offense and at least neutral on defense. And no, I don't think that just the return of DDV will suddenly cure all our 2nd unit problems.

Going through a shooting slump is one of those times when a young player might appreciate knowing that their vets have their back rather than giving them side eye and punching them in the face. Just sayin.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#23 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:00 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Samurai wrote:. Since the clear leader of the 2nd unit is JP, seems that is where we can get the most improvement if he can play more effectively. Seems that JP needs to be a reliable threat on offense and at least neutral on defense. And no, I don't think that just the return of DDV will suddenly cure all our 2nd unit problems.

Going through a shooting slump is one of those times when a young player might appreciate knowing that their vets have their back rather than giving them side eye and punching them in the face. Just sayin.

Punching in the face is only done for small guys (guards); if he were a big (say like Steven Adams), they get a foot to level the field. A true big wouldn't feel the fist. Just sayin... :wink:
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 862

Post#24 » by DevinVassell » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:06 pm

Wiseman sucks... and the highest payroll team has no depth and needs more help...

Warriors marching to titles has made the fans soft.

It's Wiseman or bust people. Breath in and accept it, suck it up and enjoy some adversity.... for once.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#25 » by and1GS » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:28 pm

Samurai wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

Punching in the face is only done for small guys (guards); if he were a big (say like Steven Adams), they get a foot to level the field. A true big wouldn't feel the fist. Just sayin... :wink:

nuts or nothin baby!

"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#26 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:01 am

Samurai wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

I wasn’t gonna be the first one to point this out but yeah, we never saw Draymond squaring up and throwing the first punch at ANYONE his size. He tickled Lebron’s balls from below. F :censored: in punk.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,425

Post#27 » by Onus » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:51 am

The good thing is if wiseman continues to play like this we can extend him cheaply and hopefully he’ll be able to produce in his second contract.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,403

Post#28 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:57 am

Onus wrote:The good thing is if wiseman continues to play like this we can extend him cheaply and hopefully he’ll be able to produce in his second contract.

The Looney plan.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#29 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:51 am

Time for G-league for Wiseman is over.
Baldwin should be playing in G-league.

Wiseman should just be our back up center and get his experience.
Does 3rd sting center JaMychal Green need some reps at center?

The bench needs Looney. Wiseman can't learn propper positioning if his bench teamates don't know where to be. Maybe Wisman should get some time with the starters.

I predict that Wiseman will be a lot better at the end of this season than he is now.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 796

Post#30 » by Old_Blue » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:59 am

Onus wrote:The good thing is if wiseman continues to play like this we can extend him cheaply and hopefully he’ll be able to produce in his second contract.

Yeah. That's not gonna happen. Certainly not with the Warriors.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,324

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:09 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

I wasn’t gonna be the first one to point this out but yeah, we never saw Draymond squaring up and throwing the first punch at ANYONE his size. He tickled Lebron’s balls from below. F :censored: in punk.

then went into business with him :lol:
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#32 » by thunderdunk » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:55 am

You don't send JW to the G league to improve his trade value. Right now he has little to no value except as a piece of a larger deal. And his trade value won't improve by his looking clueless in 10 minutes a game.

You send him there to learn everything it takes to be ready to play in the NBA (for him, includes: setting picks, blocking out, grabbing rebounds, defending without fouling, etc.), and to learn how to play within the Dubs system. Then bring him up when he's ready. That's what the G league is for -- so teams don't have to lose games while they try to develop young guys without the body/knowledge to play at the highest level. That's it.

If he's ready to bring back in March, that's fine. If it's next year, that's OK too. Hopefully by next year he's learned a lot and has a lot more value on the court. But right now, he (and most of the rest of the bench) just suck out there. It's like a cancer. Needs to get fixed. Bob (and Steve) have their work cut out, cuz right now the pieces beyond the starting 5 aren't working, at all.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#33 » by Samurai » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:34 am

thunderdunk wrote:You don't send JW to the G league to improve his trade value. Right now he has little to no value except as a piece of a larger deal. And his trade value won't improve by his looking clueless in 10 minutes a game.

You send him there to learn everything it takes to be ready to play in the NBA (for him, includes: setting picks, blocking out, grabbing rebounds, defending without fouling, etc.), and to learn how to play within the Dubs system. Then bring him up when he's ready. That's what the G league is for -- so teams don't have to lose games while they try to develop young guys without the body/knowledge to play at the highest level. That's it.

If he's ready to bring back in March, that's fine. If it's next year, that's OK too. Hopefully by next year he's learned a lot and has a lot more value on the court. But right now, he (and most of the rest of the bench) just suck out there. It's like a cancer. Needs to get fixed. Bob (and Steve) have their work cut out, cuz right now the pieces beyond the starting 5 aren't working, at all.

If the goal is just to develop Wiseman, what you are saying makes sense. If the goal is to produce more wins as a team, then the reality is that most all of the 2nd unit also needs to develop and learn how to play the Dubs style in the G-league as well since the 2nd unit is terrible and that extends beyond just Wiseman. And sending the entire unit to the G-league isn't possible/practical/feasible. So we have to be clear on what the goal is or we just send Wiseman down and keep griping on why the team still doesn't play defense and loses too many games.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:35 am

Wiseman and Rollins for Olynyk. Both sides get what they need. Utah needs to tank. Warriors get a legit stretch 5 off the bench that can facilitate for the others. Wiseman is years away from his ceiling and his ceiling is basically JaVale. That’s just not worth fighting for guys. Olynyk would unlock so much for us.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Mambomuziki
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#35 » by Mambomuziki » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:53 am

Can we play JW with Looney?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by thunderdunk » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:59 am

EvanZ wrote:Wiseman and Rollins for Olynyk. Both sides get what they need. Utah needs to tank. Warriors get a legit stretch 5 off the bench that can facilitate for the others. Wiseman is years away from his ceiling and his ceiling is basically JaVale. That’s just not worth fighting for guys. Olynyk would unlock so much for us.

I watched Utah the other night, and they looked really good. Amazing what they're doing with what they have. They don't look to me like they're in tank mode at all. Playing really good team basketball and shooting really well.

Also, I'm not sure that JW's ceiling is JaVale. From Day 1, JW looked like a young, tall kid who could dribble, shoot, and run the floor. Lots of exciting, raw tools. I was really interested in seeing how Steve added him to the mix, given that he wasn't a natural fit. Could he someday be like a KD? He was also supposed to be really smart -- speaks Mandarin, etc. Now we're in Year 3, and it's still a mystery. JW has a bigger upper body, but still no lower body strength. And for someone who's been here 2+ years, he still looks clueless out there. And looks softer than butter. So I agree, in a way. Unless he shows that he can develop the necessary big man skills, and more of a physical game to match his growing body, he's not worth much at the moment. And I agree that he's at least a couple years away from all appearances.

Are you saying that Ainge would trade for him and put him in the G league for now? Or put him on a team that works really well at the moment and intentionally eff that up, in hopes of winning the lottery? And give up Olynyk for that?
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by thunderdunk » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:11 am

Samurai wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:You don't send JW to the G league to improve his trade value. Right now he has little to no value except as a piece of a larger deal. And his trade value won't improve by his looking clueless in 10 minutes a game.

If the goal is just to develop Wiseman, what you are saying makes sense. If the goal is to produce more wins as a team, then the reality is that most all of the 2nd unit also needs to develop and learn how to play the Dubs style in the G-league as well since the 2nd unit is terrible and that extends beyond just Wiseman. And sending the entire unit to the G-league isn't possible/practical/feasible. So we have to be clear on what the goal is or we just send Wiseman down and keep griping on why the team still doesn't play defense and loses too many games.

Ah - that's the issue. The whole 2nd team looks like garbage, and they ALL look like they need to be in the G league. I'm not sure how the Dubs fix that, to be honest. This thread is about JW. To fix JW, I think he needs reps in the G league, along with a LOT of coaching. That the Dubs lost most of their bench players from last year, and the replacement guys are looking terrible. That's a different question. Hard to win a chip without the horses. Right now, Bob (and Steve) need to pull off a miracle, it seems. The Dubs currently have NO strength in numbers.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#38 » by tarantism » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:36 am

EvanZ wrote:Wiseman and Rollins for Olynyk. Both sides get what they need. Utah needs to tank. Warriors get a legit stretch 5 off the bench that can facilitate for the others. Wiseman is years away from his ceiling and his ceiling is basically JaVale. That’s just not worth fighting for guys. Olynyk would unlock so much for us.
Kelly Olynyk is definitely not what this team needs. Again I say wtf.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 480

Post#39 » by Swift21 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:35 am

tarantism wrote:

Olynyk would be a great fit under Kerr.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:22 pm

tarantism wrote:

He’s exactly what they need.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors