2024 Draft

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 34,808

Re: 2024 Draft 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Sat May 18, 2024 5:13 pm

Sure there's not a consensus #1 pick, although Sarr seems to have the inside track.

And not every draft will have a generational level talent, at least not a clear one who stands out above the rest.

So while having to pay a not clear #1 is what it is, it is useful not to measure every draft by the same standard.

So just because there's no clear generational level talent, there is talent here. There is a chance for teams to fill rosters with players who make their teams better, be it with size, defense, ability to run a team, or floor spacing shooting.

This is also where scouting departments and FO team building earn their cheques.
ImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

#XX
BeiBeau
Veteran
And1: 1,510

Post#22 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Good draft to be a win now team with a 2nd round pick trying to fill out a rotation. Lots of 21-24 year olds who can play ball and contribute to winning.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 31,039

Post#23 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 18, 2024 5:20 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:True, which is why I want my Sixers to draft cause he has the untapped ability to be the next Mikal Bridges. Certainly the best Carter has taken in the draft since Vince with that exciting windmill slama jams. And I love his 2 way game!

https://youtube.com/shorts/S_7oInzkp88?si=SterDWUbGn3QYnYn

https://youtu.be/wEWoaN3uZ0Q?si=IsK6EZzFPtCeh09c

Not sure about that guy, but what a way to open a highlight video, with one of the most blatant missed travels you will ever see, withing first 4 second of a video He looks short and a bit awkward/slow, IDK, I have only watched 20 seconds, that travel already got me angry

Shaquielle McKissic 2.0 ? Thats my impression.

McKissic? Lol not even close but that travel was funny. If you can find a better prospect, let me know. Still, I believe he is a diamond in the rough guy that is better in a pro environment unlike Hood-Schifino who is better at college ball. In 3 to 5 years, he should be the best player in this draft class.

https://youtu.be/kCMujbJX6bc?si=8MoEOXuMjZU35OdD

No hype, just game!

Looks decent, but need way more lift on his shot, and his release point seems very low. That is my impression, that is one weak point I see after a two minute video where he does look generally good.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 18, 2024 5:21 pm

G R E Y wrote:Sure there's not a consensus #1 pick, although Sarr seems to have the inside track.

And not every draft will have a generational level talent, at least not a clear one who stands out above the rest.

So while having to pay a not clear #1 is what it is, it is useful not to measure every draft by the same standard.

So just because there's no clear generational level talent, there is talent here. There is a chance for teams to fill rosters with players who make their teams better, be it with size, defense, ability to run a team, or floor spacing shooting.

This is also where scouting departments and FO team building earn their cheques.

Are there players you would like Spurs to draft with their two lotto picks?
WentzerWuver
Sixth Man
And1: 563

Post#25 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 18, 2024 5:28 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Not sure about that guy, but what a way to open a highlight video, with one of the most blatant missed travels you will ever see, withing first 4 second of a video He looks short and a bit awkward/slow, IDK, I have only watched 20 seconds, that travel already got me angry

Shaquielle McKissic 2.0 ? Thats my impression.

McKissic? Lol not even close but that travel was funny. If you can find a better prospect, let me know. Still, I believe he is a diamond in the rough guy that is better in a pro environment unlike Hood-Schifino who is better at college ball. In 3 to 5 years, he should be the best player in this draft class.

No hype, just game!

Looks decent, but need way more lift on his shot, and his release point seems very low. That is my impression, that is one weak point I see after a two minute video where he does look generally good.
Some of the best players have low release points but his knack on the defensive end is very Mikal like and the best ballers has a 2 way game. He will be taken ahead of his projected slot by a team who did their homework unlike the Lakers with the Hood-Schifino pick Lol

https://youtu.be/WvU9hSZG6LQ?si=Xw-dizMDZIFJMvo5
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 3,213

Post#26 » by JJ_PR » Sat May 18, 2024 5:34 pm

There is always talent to be found, even in weak draft classes. A good example of that is 2013, that class was awful, but it still featured stars like Giannis, Gobert and good role players like C.J. McCollum and Victor Oladipo.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#27 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 18, 2024 5:38 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

No hype, just game!

Some of the best players have low release points but his knack on the defensive end is very Mikal like and the best ballers has a 2 way game. He will be taken ahead of his projected slot by a team who did their homework unlike the Lakers with the Hood-Schifino pick Lol

I just realized this is Anthony Carters son, he does look nothing like his father, I am speaking about appearance. I know Verno and O'Connor love this kid.
WentzerWuver
Sixth Man
And1: 563

Post#28 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 18, 2024 5:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I just realized this is Anthony Carters son, he does look nothing like his father, I am speaking about appearance. I know Verno and O'Connor love this kid.

Yup, which is why I am worried the Heat will nab him. Devin and Jaime will have a bright future as swashbucketeers in Miami. The Spurs should use one of their 2 lotto picks on him since they did reach for Primo, but I think they are interested in the Frenchmens to appease Wemby.

https://youtu.be/m9sQpXpSXVc?si=SfVFEvkerfJ1mjUO
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 34,808

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Sat May 18, 2024 5:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Sure there's not a consensus #1 pick, although Sarr seems to have the inside track.

Are there players you would like Spurs to draft with their two lotto picks?

Hmm well we have lots of spots to fill but most glaring needs at starting 1 and especially 3, with back up big looming (I suspect Zach will be dealt to a contender at the deadline).

I like Castle and Topic, Djurisic and Sallis, Knecht and maybe Sheppard but for the latter something is off in his interviews, just a gut feeling, too polished, if that can be a thing.

I'd be surprised if Risacher fell to 4, though there's hardly consensus on him. I've read everything from future star to Keita Bates-Diop 2.0. I like him feel he can plug and play right away but want to like him more. Like not sure of his ceiling. We've scouted him plenty so I trust our choice.

Salaun is a talent but very raw, so higher potential for both higher ceiling and bust.

And another French player to keep an eye on is Pacome Diadet...

Maybe we look at taking Ajinca in the second round...

Of course not all of them will be for 4 or 8 (ie/ Sallis we could hopefully get with a 2nd rounder).

If Dilly is available at 8 it is good value but I'd balk at 4. Too small, no D are hard to fix and cover for.

I don't see us starting rookies at 1 AND 3. That rebuild phase is over. I do see us packaging pick(s) and contracts and a young player or two to address either 1 or more likely 3.

I also don't see us drafting a big at 4 or 8 as there are plenty of choices later in the draft.

This is the loose circle of players I have my eyes on now.
ImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

#XX
VFX
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Post#30 » by VFX » Sat May 18, 2024 5:54 pm

No consensus top 5 guys. More dispersed talent overall.

Not a bad draft, but not one you necessarily want to tank a season for a top 3 pick.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,723

Post#31 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:Last time I heard that was 2020 draft with Edwards.

That is the first time I heard of this. Edwards and Ball, particularly, were loved by many. The 2000 draft has always been said to be the worst draft consistently.

2020 draft was projected to be a weak one. Some liked Ball, but I think it is save to say majority thought he would be bust, he wasn't even great in Australia. Most Australians I know hated him actually. It was 3 player draft, but it was COVID year and none of the top 3 were widely beloved, WIseman was probably the safest pick... ANT had more red flags than any projected number one draft pick in a very long time, when you read his scouting report, you would have thought you reading a projected 20th. pick, not first. Ball was polarizing, but more of a joke character and taken based on potential and fact there really were nothing else worth wile to take. Wiseman intriguing, but due to COVID, we barely knew him, he rode his highschool and size hype till the draft, and that was it, 2020 supposed to be a terrible draft at the top.

2020 had a guy who suppose to go first - ANT. As this draft, has a guy who suppose to go first - Sarr. Neither was looked as a good haul for a number 1 pick, and neither was total concensous pick. I would say most had ANT first, just like most have Sarr now. But if Wiseman went first, I don't think we would have been shocked.

But at least 2020 had a solid top 3, this one I'm hearing there's like 7 or 8? Which projects weakness. Also to the other poster, 2000 was an abortion it would be hard to be worse than that draft.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#32 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 18, 2024 6:47 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
That is the first time I heard of this. Edwards and Ball, particularly, were loved by many. The 2000 draft has always been said to be the worst draft consistently.

2020 draft was projected to be a weak one. Some liked Ball, but I think it is save to say majority thought he would be bust, he wasn't even great in Australia. Most Australians I know hated him actually. It was 3 player draft, but it was COVID year and none of the top 3 were widely beloved, WIseman was probably the safest pick... ANT had more red flags than any projected number one draft pick in a very long time, when you read his scouting report, you would have thought you reading a projected 20th. pick, not first. Ball was polarizing, but more of a joke character and taken based on potential and fact there really were nothing else worth wile to take. Wiseman intriguing, but due to COVID, we barely knew him, he rode his highschool and size hype till the draft, and that was it, 2020 supposed to be a terrible draft at the top.

2020 had a guy who suppose to go first - ANT. As this draft, has a guy who suppose to go first - Sarr. Neither was looked as a good haul for a number 1 pick, and neither was total concensous pick. I would say most had ANT first, just like most have Sarr now. But if Wiseman went first, I don't think we would have been shocked.

But at least 2020 had a solid top 3, this one I'm hearing there's like 7 or 8? Which projects weakness. Also to the other poster, 2000 was an abortion it would be hard to be worse than that draft.

It depends what you consider solid. Due to COVID and all, there was hope that maybe these guys were better than it is, but I wouldn't say most were sold on 2020 top 3. But you are correct, that they were probably more intriguing than anyone from this draft. This draft has that 2000, or 2013 feel, where they picking Alex Len in top 5, because there really were nothing there. That draft ended up with Giannis, I have no doubt this draft will also probably have at least one super talent, but the problem is that we have no clue who that is... This is the lottery that no one wanted to win that badly.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,723

Post#33 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:05 am

UcanUwill wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

It depends what you consider solid. Due to COVID and all, there was hope that maybe these guys were better than it is, but I wouldn't say most were sold on 2020 top 3. But you are correct, that they were probably more intriguing than anyone from this draft. This draft has that 2000, or 2013 feel, where they picking Alex Len in top 5, because there really were nothing there. That draft ended up with Giannis, I have no doubt this draft will also probably have at least one super talent, but the problem is that we have no clue who that is... This is the lottery that no one wanted to win that badly.

I don't wanna be too technical but the best this draft may have is a Gobert-level guy. Giannis is better than the best guy from the average draft.

Return to The General Board