Pelicans still own the next 2 Laker 1sts unprotected

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,934

Re: Pelicans still own the next 2 Laker 1sts unprotected 

Post#221 » by kuclas » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:43 am

formula 400 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Benedict_Boozer wrote:The bigger prob is the lakers have a good team now that is young, even without lebron this is not a lottery level roster

Trade couldn’t have panned out worse really

AD was gonna to leave anyways with a player opt out after the 2020 season.

What choice did the pelicans have?

Nba stars have so much pull they can request trades. Even ones under long term contract like KD can push a trade. With AD in last upcoming year of his player option contract year. Pelicans took best offer to his preferred destinations.

And AD hasn’t exactly been the healthiest player either. Besides lebron and Ad getting lucky with 4 month nba Covid layoff to get fully healed. AD simply hasn’t been healthy the last 3 seasons with the lakers.

lakers won that trade and it's still paying off for them. the pelicans are stuck with fatboy. he looks like he gained all the weight back.

the pels should already be contending at this stage with three years of growth post AD trade. but where are they now? they have a **** record than the lakers... new orleans must be feeling sick to their core as LAL going to make another run while the pels just can't figure it out.

I’m neither fan of pelicans or lakers. My unbiased opinion still stands.

Zion when he’s playing is generational player. Pelicans were in 1/2nd place before he went down out west along with no Brandon Ingram. And Zion was New Orleans pick. Deandre hunter was the 4th overall pick the pelicans traded of the lakers that season.

I wouldn’t say lakers won the trade. They won the bubble championship and that’s worth it for lakers. But to say lakers are in better shape now than pelicans is incorrect. AD is walking injury risk. The lakers are treadmill team hovering in the 6-10 slot the last 3 seasons. We all know what happens to lebrons teams when he leaves (or retires).
MoneyMo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#222 » by MoneyMo » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:46 am

nikster wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
Edrees wrote:It's still not going to be a huge difference in one or two spots max. If you look at this thread, people were saying Lakers would end up 10 to 20 games or more below the Pelicans, going as far as to say Lakers would gift the Pelicans Wembanyama. regardless of what happens moving forward, these predictions were off.

I know. Its really hard for them to be objective about the lakers. Not sure if its a golden state loving thing or a lebron hating thing. Maybe both.

It took Zion going down (and a bunch of other injuries) for Pels to collapse and Lakers needed a massive roster overhaul to turnaround their season. Those predictions really weren't that crazy before these events

Well, Zion going down should always be expected.
jerneo23
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#223 » by jerneo23 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:54 am

kuclas wrote:
formula 400 wrote:
kuclas wrote:AD was gonna to leave anyways with a player opt out after the 2020 season.

Nba stars have so much pull they can request trades. Even ones under long term contract like KD can push a trade. With AD in last upcoming year of his player option contract year. Pelicans took best offer to his preferred destinations.

And AD hasn’t exactly been the healthiest player either. Besides lebron and Ad getting lucky with 4 month nba Covid layoff to get fully healed. AD simply hasn’t been healthy the last 3 seasons with the lakers.

lakers won that trade and it's still paying off for them. the pelicans are stuck with fatboy. he looks like he gained all the weight back.

the pels should already be contending at this stage with three years of growth post AD trade. but where are they now? they have a **** record than the lakers... new orleans must be feeling sick to their core as LAL going to make another run while the pels just can't figure it out.

Zion when he’s playing is generational player. Pelicans were in 1/2nd place before he went down out west along with no Brandon Ingram. And Zion was New Orleans pick. Deandre hunter was the 4th overall pick the pelicans traded of the lakers that season.

I wouldn’t say lakers won the trade. They won the bubble championship and that’s worth it for lakers. But to say lakers are in better shape now than pelicans is incorrect. AD is walking injury risk. The lakers are treadmill team hovering in the 6-10 slot the last 3 seasons. We all know what happens to lebrons teams when he leaves (or retires).

You're forgetting that the Pelicans front office has been wasting all of their assets. They traded Josh Hart, 1 first, and 2 seconds for McCollum. I personally would take Hart over McCollum alone. They also traded Steven Adams + a first round pick for Valanciunas. Furthermore, they used their 13th overall pick on Kira Lewis who averaged 9 minutes in his 3rd season, and their 8th overall pick on Dyson Daniels who looks like the next Kira Lewis.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,073

Post#224 » by vxmike » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:08 am

kuclas wrote:
formula 400 wrote:
kuclas wrote:AD was gonna to leave anyways with a player opt out after the 2020 season.

Both Zion and Ingram are part time players who are constantly injured. NOP has a nice group of youngsters but their pick assets took a big hit with the Lakers getting good. Their top two players are completely unreliable.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#225 » by Spens1 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:30 am

vxmike wrote:
kuclas wrote:
formula 400 wrote:

Both Zion and Ingram are part time players who are constantly injured. NOP has a nice group of youngsters but their pick assets took a big hit with the Lakers getting good. Their top two players are completely unreliable.
I would happily take back Ingram honestly, especially now that he actually has a 3pt shot.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,799

Post#226 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:31 am

what about now ?
formula 400
Pro Prospect
And1: 621

Post#227 » by formula 400 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:18 am

kuclas wrote:
formula 400 wrote:

ad zion and bi have all gone down, including lebron. yes, the laks won the 2020 "bubble championship". they got it and we didnt. fast forward 3 years later and the lakers still have the better record. by the time zion hits the floor, he will be close to a contract season. and guess who will be knocking on his door. pelicans, like orlando, are farm teams for the lakers
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,313

Post#228 » by Edrees » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:14 am

nikster wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
Edrees wrote:It's still not going to be a huge difference in one or two spots max. If you look at this thread, people were saying Lakers would end up 10 to 20 games or more below the Pelicans, going as far as to say Lakers would gift the Pelicans Wembanyama. regardless of what happens moving forward, these predictions were off.

I know. Its really hard for them to be objective about the lakers. Not sure if its a golden state loving thing or a lebron hating thing. Maybe both.

It took Zion going down (and a bunch of other injuries) for Pels to collapse and Lakers needed a massive roster overhaul to turnaround their season. Those predictions really weren't that crazy before these events

Zion getting injured isn't a surprise but all the predictions were based on him playing 82 games.

Also Lakers trading Westbrook should have been a consideration as well, considering he was an expiring contract. Heck, Lakers could have traded him even earlier in the season , and it would costed them another pick in addition to the one but they'd have an even better record now than they do if they went more of the season without Westbrook. All of those things aren't crazy at all but people assumed best case for Pelicans and worst case for Lakers.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,639

Post#229 » by Mrakar » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:53 am

dautjazz wrote:Zion situation just sucks if you're the Pelicans. I'd be shopping him to the highest bidder.

That is why you are not even selling beer at Arena, let alone GM.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,084

Post#230 » by Knightfall » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:38 am

nikster wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:

To be fair, it took Davis and Lebron missing chunks of the season due to injury, and roster overhaul which means lack of chemistry for the Lakers to be 1 game ahead of the Pelicans.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,387

Post#231 » by xinxin » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:07 am

BI & Zion are still young.

Lots of years ahead to deliver for the Pels.

Assuming they stay with the franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,402

Post#232 » by Ckay » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:22 am

Lakers keep their pick right?
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,670

Post#233 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:24 am

Ckay wrote:Lakers keep their pick right?

yes mathematically it can't be lower than the Pels now
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 979

Post#234 » by BuddyBuckets » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:28 am

Didn't want their stupid pick anyway... Lol
Kobeskillz
Sixth Man
And1: 405

Post#235 » by Kobeskillz » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:29 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:The Lakers have a ring.

No one can take the bubble ring away from them from 3 years ago

But they mortgaged the foreseeable future for 1 little bit of success

This makes no sense. Lol. Seriously. Isn’t the point of the nba is to win a championship?!?! Lol. Seriously. Congrats on pelicans playin and future playin games. Way better than a championship. Lol
Shane Battier on Kobe: "I always seem to end up on Kobe Island at some point or another, all expense paid."
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,620

Post#236 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:31 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:2023 swap, 2024 pick defferable to 2025

Appreciate you Rob

Update
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,799

Post#237 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:32 am

BuddyBuckets wrote:Didn't want their stupid pick anyway... Lol

8-)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,177

Post#238 » by dockingsched » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:35 am

What’s the score on the assets that have switched hands via this trade so far? Brandon Ingram + trash? Ball left and I can’t recall anyone of note they’ve drafted
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,341

Post#239 » by Darthlukey » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:36 am

Salty1 wrote:I bet the Lakers would have given up more knowing they were going to win a chip and be in contention for more.

The ring is the ring, but since then I wouldn't describe it as contention. Mind you, this playoffs has only just begun so 22/23 is to be determined
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,341

Post#240 » by Darthlukey » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:38 am

Ckay wrote:Lakers keep their pick right?

The pels can swap with them, but there is no reason to now

Return to The General Board