Total votes: 57

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,807

Re: How make AW more efficient scorer? 

Post#41 » by minimus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:So we need to get a SF who can score efficiently and do everything Wiggins can't WHILE not making max money. Hard to get, but if we get one, wiggins should be traded the next day.

I'm a big Roco supporter, and while his impact is undeniable he can't run the pick and roll or play ISO and is basically finisher on offense, not a secondary initiator, which overloads the need of a playmakers along him. His offensive skill set is not about punish miss matches.

I hope Culver can be that guy, but if he pans out Wiggins should be playing with the bench.

Lets compare our backcourt/wings with UTA, POR, DEN

MIN:
Teague 6'2" 195, Napier 6'1" 180, Nowell 6'4" 200
AW 6'8" 194, Okogie 6'4" 212, Culver 6'6" 195
RoCo 6'9" 225, KBD 6'9" 229, Layman 6'9" 215

UTA:
Conley 6'1" 175
Mitchel 6'3" 215
Ingles 6'8" 226

POR:
Dame 6'3" 195
CJ 6'3" 190
Hood 6'8" 206

DEN:
Murray 6'4" 207
Harris 6'4" 210
Craig 6'7" 217

Wiggins gives up 10-20lbs as against all SF, and against some SG as well. Keeping him as SG makes sense when at SF RoCo can freelance in defense becoming complete headache problem for opponent SF/SG, while being still able to hit that open 3s at decent rate.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,714

Post#42 » by Klomp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Again, the question asked was how to make Wiggins a more efficient scorer. There've also been questions asked about why he doesn't get to the rim.

I'm not using Portland as an example because it's the only team it works against, but because they are probably the best example of a team that has both undersized SGs and bigger wings to defend Wiggins. When he has a bigger wing on him, he tends to settle for fadeaways and long 2s, but has more success getting right to the rim when someone smaller is on him or when he gets some space.

So logically, if you want him to take fewer long 2s and fadeaways, wouldn't it make sense to put him into a situation where there might not be a bigger wing defending him?

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#43 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Nobody on Wolves (AW included) should be holding the ball (or dribbling in place) for more than 1-2 seconds. If not an immediate advantage, pass the ball and move without it. If AW gets more catches where he is already open, or has half a step on his defender, he will become much more efficient.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#44 » by Killboard » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:42 pm

minimus wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:Image

I'm a big Roco supporter, and while his impact is undeniable he can't run the pick and roll or play ISO and is basically finisher on offense, not a secondary initiator, which overloads the need of a playmakers along him. His offensive skill set is not about punish miss matches.

I hope Culver can be that guy, but if he pans out Wiggins should be playing with the bench.

Lets compare our backcourt/wings with UTA, POR, DEN

MIN:
Teague 6'2" 195, Napier 6'1" 180, Nowell 6'4" 200
AW 6'8" 194, Okogie 6'4" 212, Culver 6'6" 195
RoCo 6'9" 225, KBD 6'9" 229, Layman 6'9" 215

UTA:
Conley 6'1" 175
Mitchel 6'3" 215
Ingles 6'8" 226

POR:
Dame 6'3" 195
CJ 6'3" 190
Hood 6'8" 206

DEN:
Murray 6'4" 207
Harris 6'4" 210
Craig 6'7" 217

Wiggins gives up 10-20lbs as against all SF, and against some SG as well. Keeping him as SG makes sense when at SF RoCo can freelance in defense becoming complete headache problem for opponent SF/SG, while being still able to hit that open 3s at decent rate.

Match ups on defense is something the wolves can dictate, at least before picks comes in. The wolves have lacked physical guards to prevent baskets/Orebs to the roll man, and Wiggins has been part of that.

But in offense Roco doesn't benefit much of being guarded by someone like McCollum or Harris. I suppose Roco lenght can help to shoot above them but not being a pull up guy the benefit is decreased and like I mentioned earlier he won't drive or post up, handle the P&R or play ISO, for which his defensive match up is likely to be the smaller wing without opposing teams paying much for it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#45 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm

How? Lobotomy with Kobe?

How in the world is he not able to gain weight? He will never be efficient as long as he still has that high school body. And that does not make him an "oversized" SG. And lets stop all this talk about him handling the ball more. He was awful in traffic, and ended up get stripped when he goes to his spin move.

Rosas and Ryan have a huge job on their hands.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,127

Post#46 » by thinktank » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:22 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:How? Lobotomy with Kobe?

How in the world is he not able to gain weight? He will never be efficient as long as he still has that high school body. And that does not make him an "oversized" SG. And lets stop all this talk about him handling the ball more. He was awful in traffic, and ended up get stripped when he goes to his spin move.

I wouldn’t choose Kobe’s brain if I was going for efficiency.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:44 pm

thinktank wrote:

My first thought too.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
thinktank wrote:

My first thought too.

Good point.
But maybe that killer mentality will allow him to attach the basket and no jumpers.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,403

Post#49 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Dane moore mentioned this after talking to someone on the wolves staff.

Apparently wiggs does add weight, but the problem is they he can't keep it. The pounds really shed off him quickly.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:37 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Apparently wiggs does add weight, but the problem is they he can't keep it. The pounds really shed off him quickly.

If I remember right, Dieng has had that problem and I believe Bazz did too.

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Apparently wiggs does add weight, but the problem is they he can't keep it. The pounds really shed off him quickly.

Yeah, but Bazz already had a NBA body coming in. 6'6 and 220 is plenty of size for a SG. Wiggins doesn't get to the FT line as much because he can't absorb the contact. He needs to get up to 210 at least. Eat peanut butter or something. :roll:

With Dieng I think it's just hereditary. He's from Senegal, they don't gain for some reason. (As a whole I mean)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 am

Q In some of the photos from summer workouts, you’ve actually put shot values on the court [how much certain shots are worth in terms of points per possession]. How have the players taken to that? Has it been eye-opening for them?

A I do think it has been. In games we understand there will be some regression, some getting to know the system, too, but this isn’t a ‘Let’s take care of it for October’ kind of thing, this is what we believe is going to help propel us to a contending team down the line by installing these type of things early on and committing to these things we’re stressing.

With that, having shot values on the court … it’s a very simple visual for players. We’ve done a lot of educating with them … and we have guys from our analytics department present to the players what these mean. They come on the court and we can give a better understanding. We see where the game has gone and we don’t want to be left behind when it comes to three-point attempts and things like that.

It’s going to take time to break some of those habits, and when guys do play open gym, it’s their time. We’ve noticed a number of guys have a midrange shot, but they understand that’s not the shot we’re striving to get. They’ll continue on and try to attack the rim or they’ll go into a drive-and-kick situation, which is something we want to see.

Q Along those lines, Andrew [Wiggins] takes a high volume of midrange shots. How has he been receptive to seeing what these values are and adjusting his game or tweaking his game to improve the value of his shots?

A He’s been receptive, and that’s something that I do want to make clear is that we all understand and we’ve had conversations with Andrew. Andrew is a self-aware person. He knows he needs to have a big year not just for himself but for our team. With that, it’d be very easy to — if Andrew was somebody who was a jerk, who didn’t care, didn’t treat people right, then it’d be very easy to criticize.

Now, I know there’s other things that can go into criticism, but the fact that he is a good person and has positive intentions, it makes you want to continue to keep trying to push through and he’s been receptive. That’s the thing. He’s somebody who wants to do right by people, so we do look forward to him having a year where he buys into the system and with anybody, if guys don’t do that, you have different conversations.

http://www.startribune.com/q-amp-a-with-wolves-coach-ryan-saunders-ready-for-a-drama-free-beginning/561646552/

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 am

The offense being implemented by Saunders and Pablo Prigioni will include more opportunities for Wiggins to get the ball in transition and will also try to get him moving more in the halfcourt to reduce the mind-numbing pull-up midrange jumpers and get him dunking again.

Last season Wiggins dunked the ball just 39 times, according to basketball-reference.com. It was by far the fewest of his career, down from 58 in 2017-18. He dunked the ball 84 times in his second season.

After a game in February last season, I asked Wiggins why he wasn’t dunking anymore. He smiled and, paraphrasing, said that he lost his aggressiveness over the previous 18 months, implying that the offense centering around Butler and pushing him to the side was responsible.

Those excuses are gone now. Wiggins needs to step up.

https://theathletic.com/1241473/2019/09/27/timberwolves-roster-training-camp-one-burning-question-karl-anthony-towns/

Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 6,022

Post#54 » by Zeitgeister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 am

1. Corner 3s
2. Get him to the rim more often by attacking close outs, cutting off the ball, transition
3. give up 3-4 post ups a game.

If he starts shooting long range 2s, bench him.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#55 » by Zeitgeister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:39 am

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:So we need to get a SF who can score efficiently and do everything Wiggins can't WHILE not making max money. Hard to get, but if we get one, wiggins should be traded the next day.

Yeah, this is precisely why it's so difficult to pair anything with Wiggins, he's just bad at most things. It's really quite important to have 1-2 decent ballhandlers/creators in the back court unless you have a prime Chris Paul or Steve Nash who can just direct everything. Covington is very good at his role, he's solid-ish 3pt shooter and a great defender. The problem is Wiggins can't really defend well, certainly not 3s, and he can't shoot very well, oh and he can't create for others well on offense either. No matter how you slice it, Wiggins weaknesses along with his contract mean that you really need to overload what others can do in the backcourt to make up for it.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#56 » by Zeitgeister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 am

thinktank wrote:

Kobe was efficient for his era, which happened to be one of the most punishing offensive eras in history. Kobe had his weaknesses but he's one of the greatest offensive players of all-time.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 2, 2019 1:10 am

Klomp wrote:

Sounds like a trainer problem. All the players in the league are running up and down the same courts and shedding calories daily. But apparently some aren't weight training for any additional mass building. Some aren't increasing their calorie intake enough. Their riding bicycles instead of dragging buses with a rope.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. They are more concerned with how they look in skinny jeans. They don't have to train to be offensive lineman in football. But some of them should be trying to build a little over the stick figures they are.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,595

Post#58 » by WolfAddict » Wed Oct 2, 2019 1:16 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Sounds like a trainer problem. All the players in the league are running up and down the same courts and shedding calories daily. But apparently some aren't weight training for any additional mass building. Some aren't increasing their calorie intake enough. Their riding bicycles instead of dragging buses with a rope.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. They are more concerned with how they look in skinny jeans.

Whilst you probably have a point reference the fact that all players run up and down the same courts, every one is different and will have different metabolism speeds and what not. This would cause some kind of discrepancies in players weight gains/losses across the NBA.

I will however, 100% agree that trainers/coaching staff would be responsible for training regimes that would facilitate the required gains/losses for their rosters.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#59 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Oct 2, 2019 1:22 am

WolfAddict wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:If I remember right, Dieng has had that problem and I believe Bazz did too.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. They are more concerned with how they look in skinny jeans.

Whilst you probably have a point reference the fact that all players run up and down the same courts, every one is different and will have different metabolism speeds and what not. This would cause some kind of discrepancies in players weight gains/losses across the NBA.

I will however, 100% agree that trainers/coaching staff would be responsible for training regimes that would facilitate the required gains/losses for their rosters.

Wiggs can look to get stronger, but i don't think hes weak. Hes kind of a wirey strong because he has shown that he is capable of getting down and backing guys in the post. I think alot has to do eith his lack of aggresion and confidence. When he wants to get those rebounds or attack the rim, he can.

When he wants to defend bigger guys in the post, he is capable.

But he plays too reactive and passive.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#60 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:46 am

Read on Twitter

First time hes ever thrown shade at Thibs?

Wiggs interview at the 1:08:00 minute mark.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves