ImageImageImage

Welcome Jayson Tatum

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Re: Welcome Jayson Tatum 

Post#401 » by Leprechaun18 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:15 am

I heard that he is a worker. He also reportedly quickened up his shot and worked on his 3 pt shooting before the draft. Danny said he shot the ball real well. He does need to work on his body and put on some good weight. He is only 19. We got him. We cannot get Markelle now anyways.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#402 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Sure, he didn't face NBA D in the NCAA. Nobody does, but it looks like he has to tools to be a P&R Ballhandler.

Not yet he doesn't. The NCAA has plenty of PNR possessions that don't look like Keystone Cops footage. I'm just pointing out that those clips don't show much of importance.

Tatum was in the 31st percentile in efficiency as a PNR ballhandler. That and he rarely did it - only 6% of his possessions (basically the same rate as Markannen). He's not currently a good shooter off the dribble, and his handle is pretty high and weak under pressure (this is why he's much better in the mid-post where his jab-step creates space, in the post with his spins and fades, isoing slower big men or taking off in transition).

Using him as the screener for IT might be a good early way to play to his strengths. He's a solid catch and shoot guy so he can pop if they trap IT and then attack closeouts pretty well. If they switch, he'll amazing taking guards down into the mid-post and he's got enough vision I think to develop into a good passer out of post doubles.

On day 1, no, he won't be a P&R ballhandler, but when I say "tools" I'm talking about the potential. 31st percentile isn't too bad for a freshman forward. I believe that's where Fultz ranked as an isolation scorer, and that's a skill that favors his position.

Even in the NBA a 4-5 pick and roll will generate some silly defensive sequences, and while the UNLV defense was atrocious he made a good read passing up a wide open mid-range J for a layup. In time he'll be a nice playmaking 4. For now I'll settle for him punishing switches.

Something was off with Brown's measured standing reach at the Combine. At his height and wingspan, it's almost impossible for his reach to be what they measured. Maybe it's not 8-11 like Tatum but I am betting it's closer to the 8-8 / 8-9 he measured at in previous listings.
Green_teamer
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,040

Post#403 » by Green_teamer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:08 am

tlee324 wrote:He's being underestimated based on not being an upper echelon run/jump athlete... A lot of his positives are being ignored... Maybe based on falling for Markelle or Jackson, is my guess...

I think he'll silence the critics over time.

Hes being underestimated because until a few days before the draft everyone had talked themselves into loving fultz and Noone gave a rats ass about Tatum. Imagine if we hadn't traded the pick and Danny took Tatum over Fultz anyway? This board would of had a melt down
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,700

Post#404 » by Homerclease » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Not yet he doesn't. The NCAA has plenty of PNR possessions that don't look like Keystone Cops footage. I'm just pointing out that those clips don't show much of importance.

Tatum was in the 31st percentile in efficiency as a PNR ballhandler. That and he rarely did it - only 6% of his possessions (basically the same rate as Markannen). He's not currently a good shooter off the dribble, and his handle is pretty high and weak under pressure (this is why he's much better in the mid-post where his jab-step creates space, in the post with his spins and fades, isoing slower big men or taking off in transition).

Using him as the screener for IT might be a good early way to play to his strengths. He's a solid catch and shoot guy so he can pop if they trap IT and then attack closeouts pretty well. If they switch, he'll amazing taking guards down into the mid-post and he's got enough vision I think to develop into a good passer out of post doubles.

On day 1, no, he won't be a P&R ballhandler, but when I say "tools" I'm talking about the potential. 31st percentile isn't too bad for a freshman forward. I believe that's where Fultz ranked as an isolation scorer, and that's a skill that favors his position.

Even in the NBA a 4-5 pick and roll will generate some silly defensive sequences, and while the UNLV defense was atrocious he made a good read passing up a wide open mid-range J for a layup. In time he'll be a nice playmaking 4. For now I'll settle for him punishing switches.

Something was off with Brown's measured standing reach at the Combine. At his height and wingspan, it's almost impossible for his reach to be what they measured. Maybe it's not 8-11 like Tatum but I am betting it's closer to the 8-8 / 8-9 he measured at in previous listings.

Prospects sandbag their standing reach sometimes to make their vertical leap look better
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#405 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:

Prospects sandbag their standing reach sometimes to make their vertical leap look better

I'm confident NBA teams update the records at least at the start of every training camp on a players wingspan, standing reach, vertical. I would like to see the updated figures.

Of course NBA players might not want that like KG or Durant so maybe it would never be released to the public. There's no way Durant isn't at least 7'2. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 7'3" the way he towers over other people, I mean LeBron is a legit 6'8" and about 100x stronger, but see LeBron trying to guard a Durant drive in the Finals and you can see he's just no where close to where Durant puts the ball (I know Durant has an ungodly standing reach on top of his height so maybe he is just a freak at 7 feet... but it seems impossible) to the point where it completely negates LeBron's enormous strength advantage.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#406 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Lebron is likely 6-10. He was measured at the draft in HS at 6-8 but it's been widely reported he grew an inch or two after that. My guess is he's 6-10 with something like a 7-2 wingspan.

KD measured at 6-9 with a 7-4 wingspan. Same as Lebron, would not shock me if he grew to like 6-10/6-11 with a 7-5+ wingspan.
Jingles
Sixth Man
And1: 2,190

Post#407 » by Jingles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:56 pm

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Sure, he didn't face NBA D in the NCAA. Nobody does, but it looks like he has to tools to be a P&R Ballhandler.

Makes me smile to think about Tatum's outside shot and recall how many wide open looks the likes of Horford, Amir, KO, and Jerebko got in this offense, and he's easily a better pure scorer than all of them (I know, not the highest bar).
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#408 » by jmr07019 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Something was off with Brown's measured standing reach at the Combine. At his height and wingspan, it's almost impossible for his reach to be what they measured. Maybe it's not 8-11 like Tatum but I am betting it's closer to the 8-8 / 8-9 he measured at in previous listings.

I'm confident NBA teams update the records at least at the start of every training camp on a players wingspan, standing reach, vertical. I would like to see the updated figures.

Of course NBA players might not want that like KG or Durant so maybe it would never be released to the public. There's no way Durant isn't at least 7'2. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 7'3" the way he towers over other people, I mean LeBron is a legit 6'8" and about 100x stronger, but see LeBron trying to guard a Durant drive in the Finals and you can see he's just no where close to where Durant puts the ball (I know Durant has an ungodly standing reach on top of his height so maybe he is just a freak at 7 feet... but it seems impossible) to the point where it completely negates LeBron's enormous strength advantage.

LeBron has owned Durant for their entire career's until Durant went to the goat regular season team so he wouldn't have to work hard for a title.
Show Love Spread Love
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,255

Post#409 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,438

Post#410 » by tlee324 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Jingles wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Makes me smile to think about Tatum's outside shot and recall how many wide open looks the likes of Horford, Amir, KO, and Jerebko got in this offense, and he's easily a better pure scorer than all of them (I know, not the highest bar).

I felt Fultz was THE perfect prototype player for Brad Stevens to work with, and still do, but certainly Tatum has the ability to thrive in the way Stevens runs things too.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#411 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm

tlee324 wrote:
Jingles wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:

I felt Fultz was THE perfect prototype player for Brad Stevens to work with, and still do, but certainly Tatum has the ability to thrive in the way Stevens runs things too.

I think Fultz is a perfect prototype player period - 89th percentile in PNR playmaking with huge PNR usage as an 18 year old playing with garbage big men, meh perimeter help and crappy spacing. One of the best PNR prospects ever hitting a PNR-crazed league. Some flaws in the rest of his game sure, but I really feel like his strength is as can't-miss as they come.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#412 » by Wes-J » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Like it or not we're stuck with IT.
BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#413 » by BobThornton » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Lebron is likely 6-10. He was measured at the draft in HS at 6-8 but it's been widely reported he grew an inch or two after that. My guess is he's 6-10 with something like a 7-2 wingspan.

How tall is Ben Simmons then?
Green_teamer
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,040

Post#414 » by Green_teamer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 am

BobThornton wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Lebron is likely 6-10. He was measured at the draft in HS at 6-8 but it's been widely reported he grew an inch or two after that. My guess is he's 6-10 with something like a 7-2 wingspan.

How tall is Ben Simmons then?

Simmons Is listed at 6 10
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,255

Post#415 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Edit:
1. I don't like starting threads.
2. Sorry for the bump.
3. Maybe fix the search function.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#416 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Hi, I'm Slartibartfast.

I will be your resident Jayson Tatum skeptic.

You and me both

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#417 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Hi, I'm Slartibartfast.

I will be your resident Jayson Tatum skeptic.

You and me both

My hot takes in this thread are best served cold.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#418 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:Ok this is my last troll post. But iso scorers are the highest chance of being a bust. To be an iso player you have to be the most elite. How do you feel about Rudy Gay, Michael Beasley, Nick Young, Zach Lavine, all serviceable and can get you buckets but nobody here really would want any of them on the team. **** most people would not want DeMar DeRozan/Carmelo if available. Ok I need to get off the forum .

Good luck to the guy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#419 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:My beefs with Tatum:

1. He has very little power/weight in his base. This is why the Pierce comp doesn't work for me. Pierce wasn't very tall, but he was thick. That allowed him to thrive in the paint, take bumps on both ends and play a very physical brand of ball.

Tatum has long skinnier legs. That gives him very long strides to gallop to the rim with a clear path, but it also makes him easier to move around and less of a force in the paint. He is very light for a combo forward, much lighter than guys like Pierce, Melo or Leonard were at the same age.

2. He has a great jab step and step back, but he's not all that agile at full speed. I think he's gonna have a hard time maneuvering around NBA help defenders with how upright he is and will end up settling for a lot of step-backs and runners.

3. He's got a very good in/out dribble and a decent crossover, but like Lonzo Ball, not enough to shake NBA grade perimeter defenders. Nor is he explosive or slithery enough to be a big time PNR handler.

4. He makes a lot of stupid passes in the half-court. A below-average passer on the wing. A good passer for a PF but not a point forward.

5. He doesn't have great hands. Taps rebounds. Doesn't get a lot of 50-50 balls. His floor game just isn't that impressive.

Why I might be wrong on him:

1. He's so young. Maybe his passing will improve dramatically.

2. He is fluid moving laterally defensively and has excellent length and reach so he may be pretty solid defensively on the wing and a plus team defender in time.

3. His jumper may be good enough to open up the rest of his game on the NBA level, a la Danny Granger.

Overall, I'm pessimistic. If he establishes excellent NBA range and improves his vision, he could be a full-time big wing like prime Joe Johnson but I think it's more likely he ends up like Harrison Barnes or Rudy Gay. A 20ppg volume scorer on a bad team or a 13 ppg utility guy on a good team.

My take wasn't actually as harsh as I thought.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#420 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:I'm gunna bump the **** outta so many threads next year. This will be one. I'm so happy with this pick.

I’m not done yet, FYI

Return to Boston Celtics