ImageImageImage

Craft your 2022-23 Celtics Roster – (20-Man Off-Season)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Craft your 2022-23 Roster = Assume keeping Smart, Brown & Tatum

Horford
16%
Rob Williams
16%
Pritchard
14%
White
14%
Nesmith
9%
Grant Williams
16%
Theis
8%
Non-Guaranteed = Morgan - Stauskas - Hauser - Fitts
2%
Unsigned = Kornet - Thomas - Ryan
0%
Rookie/Other
5%

Total votes: 429

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 15,112

Re: Begin to Craft your 2022-23 Celtics Roster 

Post#401 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Brogdon would be a bad acquisition by himself but adding him and Huerter would mitigate Brogdon's injury risks. We could get royally screwed if Brogdon misses his usual 30 games in the playoffs instead of during the regular season though.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,181

Post#402 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:06 pm

31to6 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Some bench vets I'd look at in the offseason:

Dragic
LMA
Blake Griffin
Javale
Rondo?

Anyone I'm missing

you're missing Rudy Gay if you're only going for this vintage of player.
Think we need half a generation younger, but admittedly I don't know who that is. Zoya???

If they stand pat, gotta do Bruce Brown for MLE, and Richaun Holmes into the TPE. Right ages, tough guys. Might not be the best team in the world but they'd be a tough, tough out.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#403 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:08 pm

Bradley Beal is looking at signing a 245million/5 year contract

He will never be a Celtic
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,392

Post#404 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:12 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Dragic
LMA
Blake Griffin
Javale
Rondo?

Anyone I'm missing

Think we need half a generation younger, but admittedly I don't know who that is. Zoya???

If they stand pat, gotta do Bruce Brown for MLE, and Richaun Holmes into the TPE. Right ages, tough guys. Might not be the best team in the world but they'd be a tough, tough out.

Richaun Holmes has a domestic case pending. He would not be a good fit.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#405 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:20 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Richaun Holmes has a domestic case pending. He would not be a good fit.

From what I read, his case has been resolved in his favor.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,734

Post#406 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:29 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Dragic
LMA
Blake Griffin
Javale
Rondo?

Anyone I'm missing

BOWS those are good names! Thanks. Get Brad on the phone please.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,674

Post#407 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:31 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Spoiler:
hugepatsfan wrote:I hate to be reactionary and "oMg TrAdE eVeRyOnE" but here's a Marcus Smart deal I do think is worth exploring...

ATL gives: G Kevin Huerter, #16
ATL gets: G Marcus Smart, #31, 2023 BOS 1st (can debate protections in the thread)

Why? Hawks reportedly discussed Huerter + Reddish for Smart at the deadline, with BOS wanting more. Reddish was later dealt for a pick and BOS obviously held onto Smart. I think Smart played better in the second half of the year and ATL still needs a defensive guard after a rough showing there. Their GM seems more open to moves now than at the deadline. I think #16 for #31 and next year's BOS 1st is a fair approximation of Reddish's value when this was discussed earlier in the year, and I have Smart more valuable now than at the deadline based on his play and ATL more open to a deal now.

IND gives: G Malcolm Brogdon, #31
IND gets: #16, C Daniel Theis, G/F Aaron Nesmith

Why? Move Brogdon for a mid 1st. Some reports that some teams have him valued negatively for the injury history, but ultimately I believe that talent will win out and they can get this mid 1st. Nesmith is taking a flier on a former lottery pick who fits a positional needs... I won't sell him as anything more than a lottery ticket. I also won't sell Theis as positive salary. He's got two years (third year is team option) and about $18M left guaranteed. I think he can play with Turner and the salary is palatable to be used in a deal down the line, particularly next offseason with Buddy Hield when it's all expiring money. The general feedback I've seen from IND fans is that they're willing to use #31 if needed to get a higher pick for Brogdon and they're ok taking on salary if needed. Unless WAS (#10) or NY (#11) are willing to give up a pick I don't think they should for Brogdon, I have #16 as the high end of his market. I don't think Theis' salary is prohibitive and Nesmith can have his option declined if you don't believe in him at all.

BOS gives: G Marcus Smart, C Daniel Theis, G/F Aaron Nesmith, 2023 1st round pick (can debate protections in the thread)
BOS gets: G Malcolm Brogdon, G Kevin Huerter (into Fourner TPE)

Why? They get shooting with size in the backcourt. Huerter definitely needs to be covered for on defense some, but he's not a total liability the way Pritchard is back there just on account of being tall enough to contest (Pritchard actually plays decent defense positioning wise but no length to contest). Brogdon isn't Smart defensively, but he can still switch as a PG and he gives you more shooting and a legit third scorer. Injury is the big risk but you just hope you can manage his minutes well enough. They take on a little extra salary the next two years but not a ton since they're sending out Theis and Nesmith as well as Smart.

*Bonus, my hope would be that BOS can pry Otto Porter away from GS with a full MLE offer and a starting spot. Move Horford to the bench to better manage his minutes and the Center rotation overall*

Brogdon / White
Brown / Huerter
Tatum
Porter Jr. / G Williams
R Williams / Horford

Looks pretty solid. I think white played pretty well overall, though inconsistently, but I do think Smart and White have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. High IQ, good defenders, streaky/bad shooters, etc. Seems like Brogdon, if healthy, would give a bit of a different look. Still have Pritchard and potential to add Begarin and Madar, which is decent depth to cover for brogdons injuries in regular season, move white up fill in backup minutes behind him.

I still like Theis as a regular season minutes eater / spot starter to cover for injuries, but I think with his contract/role he's overpaid and someone decently likely to get traded.

Yeah, I like both Smart and White. I think it’s a little duplicative though. I especially hate lineups with them together. Even removing the Brogdon piece of this, that’s why unlike Huerter so much as a TPE target. I think he’s a guy who can better balance the different lineups. He takes Pritchard’s minutes and then also some from other guys, particularly Smart and White. It will just better balance the “who can play with who” in how we line rotations up. So as a stand-alone target, that’s my rationale on Huerter. Great fit to round out the rotation.

But to replace one of Smart or White with Brogdon is just a chance I’m willing to take. I think he fits this team like a glove. We need a PG with enough size to switch everything… check. We need a PG who can be the third scorer when you need another guy to get you 20… check. We need someone who can space the floor… check. On the court he’s literally perfect for this team. Injury is the concern.

I will say this about Brogdon… he’s never been out for a playoff run. This is the first year he’s ever been out for the playoff stretch, and he could have returned but they say him to tank. He’s missed a lot of games, but never an outright season ender. He’s always been there for the playoffs or play in. So I’m optimistic that it’s more of a load management situation that you can work through vs a guy who’s just fragile.

Lastly, I agree with you on Theis. My reason for including him was just to balance out the salaries. Smart for Brogdon is taking on some extra salary (about $3M). And then Theis/Nesmith for Huerter is more additional salary (another $2M). I felt including Theis got it to a point where we could make these moves and still use the tax payers MLE.

And on that tax payers MLE, really like OPJ as a target and to put him in as a starter. 2 bigs is a nice lineup option to have but I think we’d benefit from the spacing. And moving Horford to the bench allows you to better manage the center rotation around rest for him and Rob. We’d need to land a good vet min 3rd center though for extra depth.

But I really, really love a playoff rotation of:

Brogdon / White
Brown / Huerter
Tatum
OPJ / G Williams
R Williams / Horford

And I think it’s very attainable.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 5,204

Post#408 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:49 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Spoiler:
hugepatsfan wrote:I hate to be reactionary and "oMg TrAdE eVeRyOnE" but here's a Marcus Smart deal I do think is worth exploring...

ATL gives: G Kevin Huerter, #16
ATL gets: G Marcus Smart, #31, 2023 BOS 1st (can debate protections in the thread)

Why? Hawks reportedly discussed Huerter + Reddish for Smart at the deadline, with BOS wanting more. Reddish was later dealt for a pick and BOS obviously held onto Smart. I think Smart played better in the second half of the year and ATL still needs a defensive guard after a rough showing there. Their GM seems more open to moves now than at the deadline. I think #16 for #31 and next year's BOS 1st is a fair approximation of Reddish's value when this was discussed earlier in the year, and I have Smart more valuable now than at the deadline based on his play and ATL more open to a deal now.

IND gives: G Malcolm Brogdon, #31
IND gets: #16, C Daniel Theis, G/F Aaron Nesmith

Why? Move Brogdon for a mid 1st. Some reports that some teams have him valued negatively for the injury history, but ultimately I believe that talent will win out and they can get this mid 1st. Nesmith is taking a flier on a former lottery pick who fits a positional needs... I won't sell him as anything more than a lottery ticket. I also won't sell Theis as positive salary. He's got two years (third year is team option) and about $18M left guaranteed. I think he can play with Turner and the salary is palatable to be used in a deal down the line, particularly next offseason with Buddy Hield when it's all expiring money. The general feedback I've seen from IND fans is that they're willing to use #31 if needed to get a higher pick for Brogdon and they're ok taking on salary if needed. Unless WAS (#10) or NY (#11) are willing to give up a pick I don't think they should for Brogdon, I have #16 as the high end of his market. I don't think Theis' salary is prohibitive and Nesmith can have his option declined if you don't believe in him at all.

BOS gives: G Marcus Smart, C Daniel Theis, G/F Aaron Nesmith, 2023 1st round pick (can debate protections in the thread)
BOS gets: G Malcolm Brogdon, G Kevin Huerter (into Fourner TPE)

Why? They get shooting with size in the backcourt. Huerter definitely needs to be covered for on defense some, but he's not a total liability the way Pritchard is back there just on account of being tall enough to contest (Pritchard actually plays decent defense positioning wise but no length to contest). Brogdon isn't Smart defensively, but he can still switch as a PG and he gives you more shooting and a legit third scorer. Injury is the big risk but you just hope you can manage his minutes well enough. They take on a little extra salary the next two years but not a ton since they're sending out Theis and Nesmith as well as Smart.

*Bonus, my hope would be that BOS can pry Otto Porter away from GS with a full MLE offer and a starting spot. Move Horford to the bench to better manage his minutes and the Center rotation overall*

Brogdon / White
Brown / Huerter
Tatum
Porter Jr. / G Williams
R Williams / Horford

Looks pretty solid. I think white played pretty well overall, though inconsistently, but I do think Smart and White have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. High IQ, good defenders, streaky/bad shooters, etc. Seems like Brogdon, if healthy, would give a bit of a different look. Still have Pritchard and potential to add Begarin and Madar, which is decent depth to cover for brogdons injuries in regular season, move white up fill in backup minutes behind him.

I still like Theis as a regular season minutes eater / spot starter to cover for injuries, but I think with his contract/role he's overpaid and someone decently likely to get traded.

Yeah, I like both Smart and White. I think it’s a little duplicative though. I especially hate lineups with them together. Even removing the Brogdon piece of this, that’s why unlike Huerter so much as a TPE target. I think he’s a guy who can better balance the different lineups. He takes Pritchard’s minutes and then also some from other guys, particularly Smart and White. It will just better balance the “who can play with who” in how we line rotations up. So as a stand-alone target, that’s my rationale on Huerter. Great fit to round out the rotation.

But to replace one of Smart or White with Brogdon is just a chance I’m willing to take. I think he fits this team like a glove. We need a PG with enough size to switch everything… check. We need a PG who can be the third scorer when you need another guy to get you 20… check. We need someone who can space the floor… check. On the court he’s literally perfect for this team. Injury is the concern.

I will say this about Brogdon… he’s never been out for a playoff run. This is the first year he’s ever been out for the playoff stretch, and he could have returned but they say him to tank. He’s missed a lot of games, but never an outright season ender. He’s always been there for the playoffs or play in. So I’m optimistic that it’s more of a load management situation that you can work through vs a guy who’s just fragile.

Lastly, I agree with you on Theis. My reason for including him was just to balance out the salaries. Smart for Brogdon is taking on some extra salary (about $3M). And then Theis/Nesmith for Huerter is more additional salary (another $2M). I felt including Theis got it to a point where we could make these moves and still use the tax payers MLE.

And on that tax payers MLE, really like OPJ as a target and to put him in as a starter. 2 bigs is a nice lineup option to have but I think we’d benefit from the spacing. And moving Horford to the bench allows you to better manage the center rotation around rest for him and Rob. We’d need to land a good vet min 3rd center though for extra depth.

But I really, really love a playoff rotation of:

Brogdon / White
Brown / Huerter
Tatum
OPJ / G Williams
R Williams / Horford

And I think it’s very attainable.

trading the DPOY after his first and only season as a starting PG for a player who plays less than him and is more expensive???

That makes zero sense.

Smart is NOT what is holding the team back from being a dynasty.

And to add, he only acts as the 3rd option because we have no 3rd option.

Brogdon in a buble is + to smart. Less on defense a little more on offense
OPJ is less than AL.

So that team is worse.

If you want a smaller lineup then you put Tatum at PF and look at add to the starting lineup elsewhere. Perhaps Adding Brogdon to the starting lineup.

Smart
Brogdon
Brown
Tatum
Williams

that is a better lineup and much more switchable and durable (excluding Timelord)

If teams all agreed then use the TPE for salary (Richardson)
then after 30 days trade richardson and Theis for Brogdon
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 4,104

Post#409 » by pac213up » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:51 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Bradley Beal is looking at signing a 245million/5 year contract

He will never be a Celtic

Correct. 0.0% chance.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 4,104

Post#410 » by pac213up » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:55 pm

The starting group is legit and should be run back. Steven's needs to find a legit playmaking backup PG to take pressure off of Tatum and Brown. Another veteran wing scorer, and someone better than Theis. Grant and PP can not be the 7 and 8, at least in the Finals. They are more than serviceable for the regular season.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 65,153

Post#411 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:00 pm

pac213up wrote:The starting group is legit and should be run back. Steven's needs to find a legit playmaking backup PG to take pressure off of Tatum and Brown. Another veteran wing scorer, and someone better than Theis. Grant and PP can not be the 7 and 8, at least in the Finals. They are more than serviceable for the regular season.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if one of Smart/White is moved with Theis and draft picks for something. D White though not as good as Smart, allows the Celtics to move Smart if the return is good and have a capable replacement on the team.

Nothing or a lot can happen this off-season. Will be interesting to see what the Celtics do this off-season.
CelticFaninLBC
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#412 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:42 am

It will be tough to find a better facilitator than Smart. The 16 guys noted below with higher assists per game than Smart either aren't available, require trading Jaylen Brown, are too old, or having other liabilities, which makes Smart the better player.

Chris Paul 10.8 Unavailable
James Harden 10.3 Need to trade JB, no thanks.
Trae Young 9.7 Unavailable
Dejounte Murray 9.2 Need to trade JB, no thanks.
Luka Dončić 8.7 Unavailable
Darius Garland 8.6 Need to trade JB, no thanks.
Tyrese Haliburton 8.2 Need to trade JB, no thanks.
Nikola Jokić 7.9 Unavailable
LaMelo Ball 7.6 Unavailable
Kyle Lowry 7.5 Too old and floppy
D'Angelo Russell 7.1 Has other liabilities
Russell Westbrook 7.1 Trainwreck
Jrue Holiday 6.8 Unavailable
Fred VanVleet 6.7 Need to trade JB, no thanks.
Stephen Curry 6.3 Unavailable
Kevin Porter Jr. 6.2 Has other liabilities
Marcus Smart 5.9
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 65,153

Post#413 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:06 am

Would love to get Jalen Smith with the MLE but he is probably going to make more than $6.3 million. Gary Harris would be another good target. Both are probably not realistic targets but you never know. Celtics were in the NBA Finals.

Some good player will sign with the Celtics for a chance to win.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,478

Post#414 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 pm

This Thread really took off, huh?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Cricket23
Senior
And1: 541

Post#415 » by Cricket23 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 pm

I understand a S & T hardcaps a team, but could Boston do a S & T for Tyus Jones (about 13mil per) into their TPE if they saved money with other trades like White for Huerter and Theis/Nesmith for Holmes?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#416 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Four issues the Celtics need to address
If they want to take the last step to a championship next season
By Sam Quinn | June 17, 2022

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-finals-stephen-currys-fourth-nba-title-puts-him-in-even-rarer-historical-air-and-hes-far-from-done/
1. Turnovers
You're going to hear a lot of people argue that Boston's reaction to this series should be to trade for a high-level point guard to fix their offense. Here's the problem with that logic: they've already had a high-level point guard. Several, in fact. Kyrie Irving didn't get them to the Finals. Kemba Walker didn't get them to the Finals. Isaiah Thomas didn't get them to the Finals. Marcus Smart was the point guard that got them to the Finals....

2. Interior Scoring
Boston was actually a fairly good interior scoring team in the regular season. The Celtics ranked third in the NBA in restricted area field goal percentage (69.6) and while their volume wasn't especially prolific, 24.1 rim attempts per game is fine when supported by great shooting. Well, in the playoffs, Boston took just 19.5 shots per game in the restricted area, and they made only 63.9 percent of them....

3. Depth
Boston trusted seven players through most of the postseason: their five starters, Derrick White and Grant Williams. As the Finals progressed, White and Williams even struggled to earn their typical minutes. In Game 6 of the Finals, White, Williams and Payton Pritchard combined for just 40 minutes. The rest of the meaningful playing time went to the starters....

4. Rebounding
The Celtics are great at every aspect of defense except for actually finishing the stop with a rebound. This makes sense intuitively. Teams that switch well defensively tend to be slightly worse rebounders because their big men are so often on the perimeter when shots go up and because they often sacrifice size for speed. Golden State is an anomaly in this respect. When Kevon Looney was dragged out onto the perimeter frequently in the Finals, Andrew Wiggins was athletic enough to pick up his rebounding slack....
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,858

Post#417 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:11 pm

It’s laughable that people think Tyus Jones is an upgrade over Pritchard. I’m talking, not knowing a single thing about basketball laughable. Holy smokes. I want him traded so bad. Get him away from this fan base and Ime
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,593

Post#418 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:06 am

Parliament10 wrote:This Thread really took off, huh?

haha seriously. this place didn't waste any time going head first into trade/free agency talk, literally mins after we lost in game 5 all of these offseason threads been blowing up haha

Last season the transaction threads were active but i feel like this year they're even more active because a) more interest in the team after making it to the finals and b) fans can tell how close we are to a ring now so more interest compared to last year when we were just some team that was a 7 seed that got bounced in the 1st round
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#419 » by BK_2020 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:19 am

Trade Theis, Nesmith, Pritchard Juwan Morgan, Stauskas plus a FRP for either Eric Gordon or Joe Harris.
Eric Gordon is more of a complete package but Joe Harris is elite from the three.
Nets have some excess wings so they might want to shed salary and get quantity depth in exchange for quality depth.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#420 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:37 am

BK_2020 wrote:Trade Theis, Nesmith, Pritchard Juwan Morgan, Stauskas plus a FRP for either Eric Gordon or Joe Harris.
Eric Gordon is more of a complete package but Joe Harris is elite from the three.

Nets have some excess wings so they might want to shed salary and get quantity depth in exchange for quality depth.

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics