Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Re: Wiggins, Parker and Embiid measurements 

Post#61 » by Big Jaffa » Mon May 26, 2014 11:45 am

KingDavid wrote:
BosBorgon wrote:
KingDavid wrote:I don't know how you play ball but they're meant for quick guards. I'm quick and I have a quick crossover. They're insanely light. If you play like a big man, stick with hyperdunks. Rose's shoes don't provide good ankle support. You will roll your ankles to hell if you aren't on your toes.

Hyperdunks made my Achilles sore as hell

What year? Sound like 2010s.

Can confirm I had this issue with the 2010s. The day after a game I could feel the pain in my tendons with each step. Not good.
Rip City
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran
And1: 2,309

Post#62 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Mon May 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:
fpliii wrote: :clap: This x1000.

Though if they're actually measured heights, as opposed to "listed heights", I don't have as much of a problem with in-shoes measurements. Still, separate with and without shoes measurements would be ideal.

what about up to shoulder heights also, for Zach Randolph cases

Lol i had to think about that but yeah, Zach would be about 6'10 had it not been that he was born shaped like a TMNT. No neck and a half shell for shoulders

"He's clever, and he's got a game which he's adapted to," said admiring Lakers coach Phil Jackson. "He's actually 6-11, but because God chose not to give him a neck, he measures only about 6-9, 6-81/2 . But with those long arms getting a lot of offensive rebounds, he's very successful."
#FreeGuwop
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 40,007

Post#63 » by KingDavid » Mon May 26, 2014 2:07 pm

pavementplmokn wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
kingjames623 wrote:Awful lot of posters 6'6" + (99th+ percentile) in this thread.

average height on the internet, you don't even want to know our penis size

I don't think any of the posters mentioned are lying. It is a basketball forum after all. Likely to be some tall people.. I'm somewhere around 6'5'' myself.

I have nothing to gain to lie about my height.

I can post a pic if need be.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#64 » by Mr Loggins » Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm

KingDavid wrote:
pavementplmokn wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
average height on the internet, you don't even want to know our penis size

I don't think any of the posters mentioned are lying. It is a basketball forum after all. Likely to be some tall people.. I'm somewhere around 6'5'' myself.

Not of your piece, I hope
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#65 » by KingDavid » Mon May 26, 2014 2:17 pm

BosBorgon wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
BosBorgon wrote:

Hyperdunks made my Achilles sore as hell

What year? Sound like 2010s.

They were the 2013. Most high tops would give me that problem. The lebron's and KD's are low enough in the back that they work a bit better.

I've always had Achilles problems though. I tore my right back in grad school when I was 25 , and my left is prone to tendinosis. I still play in rec leagues, but think about "retiring" - if I tore my left my wife would be pretty salty about having to do all the work, two kids and all. Not to mention the damper that would put on my life in general.

I know it sucks but yeah you gotta hang em up.

2010s were notorious for that problem but it was fixed in 2013. Look into Kobe's new line though. Those things look like tanks and they hug your ankle and achilles pretty snug.
#HEATLifer

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#66 » by KingDavid » Mon May 26, 2014 2:18 pm

BosBorgon wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
pavementplmokn wrote:

Not of your piece, I hope

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#HEATLifer

princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#67 » by princeofpalace » Mon May 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Don't really care about these measurements. For all we know they were each wearing platform heels much like Kevin Love who went from 6'7.5 barefoot to 6'9.5 in shoes.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,828

Post#68 » by leolozon » Mon May 26, 2014 2:19 pm

KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:
Nyphantom wrote:Never understood why they measure in shoes...

I heard they also play in shoes but it could be a rumor, I never seen an actual NBA game.

And I thought most people worked in shoes and still said their height without shoes... my mistake.

Honestly, is someone looking at their shoes to see if they are not padding? What's stopping them to buy the shoes with the thickest sole and then stuffing their shoe to be 1 inch taller? 1 inch is considered important at that level.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#69 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:34 pm

leolozon wrote:
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:

I heard they also play in shoes but it could be a rumor, I never seen an actual NBA game.

And I thought most people worked in shoes and still said their height without shoes... my mistake.

Honestly, is someone looking at their shoes to see if they are not padding? What's stopping them to buy the shoes with the thickest sole and then stuffing their shoe to be 1 inch taller? 1 inch is considered important at that level.

They should have shoe lifts specifically marketed to NBA prospects.. get Tom Cruise to sponsor them
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#70 » by ropjhk » Mon May 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Measurements without shoes would be more precise and consistent. That way you don't have to worry about the variance between shoes. The "because they play in shoes" argument never seemed compelling to me because you could always just add 1.5 inches to a height measurement to determine how tall they are with their shoes on.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#71 » by SaintofKillers » Mon May 26, 2014 3:17 pm

ropjhk wrote:The "because they play in shoes" argument never seemed compelling to me because you could always just add 1.5 inches to a height measurement to determine how tall they are with their shoes on.

At the end of the day, unless you're ridiculously short and have nothing to compensate for it, height matters little IMO. I put much more stock on wingspan and standing reach among those three.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#72 » by BruceO » Mon May 26, 2014 3:22 pm

SOUL wrote:@ Wiggins: There are no players in the DraftExpress database with a 7' wingspan who are under 6'9" with shoes.

nick young?
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by BruceO » Mon May 26, 2014 3:22 pm

SOUL wrote:@ Wiggins: There are no players in the DraftExpress database with a 7' wingspan who are under 6'9" with shoes.

nick young?
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by BruceO » Mon May 26, 2014 3:29 pm

FTCDave wrote:
BosBorgon wrote:

+1. When someone asks me how tall I am, I never go "well in shoes I'm....."

I think it makes sense to measure in shoes. I mean, it's not like they're playing on the court barefoot. I'm fine with them giving both barefoot & sneaker measurements tbh...

I pay more attention to height without shoes. when I do medicals the doctors always measure without shoes and that's the height I use and also the one for bmi calculations. The height with shoes even if that's the one during basketball offers too many variations depending on shoe size and there won't be consistency. I use it to compare players who are already on the court without known measurements to the ones with known but with the combine databases getting deeper and deeper there's less need other than an athletes growing.
Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Post#75 » by Sonny Carson » Mon May 26, 2014 3:31 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
Sonny Carson wrote:
Prince187 wrote:There's no way that Wiggins is 6'8.75 shoes. Here he is standing next to Scott Van Pelt who is 6'6

Scott Van Pelt says he is 6'6" without shoes...

In that case wiggins got measured in platforms at the time?

And to all the smart ass responses about how they play in shoes, well no **** and NFL players play in cleats and NHL players wear skates should they get measured wearing those?

There needs to be some uniform standard due to the fact you have some players showing up to these measurements in 2-3" platforms sometimes, i.e. shoes they'd probably trip out of if they tried wearing them on court.

Dude..

If SVP is 6'6" WITHOUT shoes.

And Wiggins stands an inch and a half taller (he looks 6'7ish in that pic)

Its not impossible that a 6'7ish dude is 6'8.75 in shoes.
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by BruceO » Mon May 26, 2014 3:34 pm

KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:what about up to shoulder heights also, for Zach Randolph cases

Lol i had to think about that but yeah, Zach would be about 6'10 had it not been that he was born shaped like a TMNT. No neck and a half shell for shoulders

"He's clever, and he's got a game which he's adapted to," said admiring Lakers coach Phil Jackson. "He's actually 6-11, but because God chose not to give him a neck, he measures only about 6-9, 6-81/2 . But with those long arms getting a lot of offensive rebounds, he's very successful."

when it comes to Randolph cases I pay attention to standing reach and wingspan. that's a better indication to what sphere of space a player is within reach of without moving. its the reason why a dwade even if is 6 4 has a crazy reach on both horizontal and lateral spheres. so he has a bigger persons reach while retaining a smaller persons quickness
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by BruceO » Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Monky15 wrote:
Cloak wrote:woah not the measurements i was looking for

Either way an inch here or there makes a lot of difference.

that's what she said
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#78 » by SaintofKillers » Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Did he really say that? Because off the top of my head, Josh Howard comes to mind -- 6'5.5" without shoes and has a 7'3" wingspan. I believe Melo also has a 7-foot wingspan but J-ho's is really, really insane.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,577

Post#79 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Mon May 26, 2014 3:53 pm

SaintofKillers wrote:
ropjhk wrote:The "because they play in shoes" argument never seemed compelling to me because you could always just add 1.5 inches to a height measurement to determine how tall they are with their shoes on.

At the end of the day, unless you're ridiculously short and have nothing to compensate for it, height matters little IMO. I put much more stock on wingspan and standing reach among those three.

Don't know about you but my standing reach increases if I wear thicker soled shoes.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#80 » by ManualRam » Mon May 26, 2014 3:53 pm

SaintofKillers wrote:

Did he really say that? Because off the top of my head, Josh Howard comes to mind -- 6'5.5" without shoes and has a 7'3" wingspan. I believe Melo also has a 7-foot wingspan but J-ho's is really, really insane.

umm there are a few in this very draft with jerami grant, laquinton ross and deandre daniels
there's also:

rudy gay
marvin williams
t-mac
trevor ariza
otto porter
wes johnson
nic batum
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft