Kyrie wants to change the NBA logo

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,289

Re: Kyrie wants to change the NBA logo 

Post#61 » by Kilroy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 am

I'm as big a traditionalist as anyone on here, but I still am shocked they didn't changed it to MJ after he retired for good... I was also shocked they didn't change it to Magic before MJ hit his stride...
So I'm all for a change... I don't think any of the players would mind much if they went with Kobe given everything and how his death impacted all of them... But it should probably be MJ if for no other reason than the NBA essentially was MJ for the better part of a decade.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,416

Post#62 » by _Game7_ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:I think the current logo is fine? Is it disrespectful to have Jerry West as the logo because he's not black or something?

Nothing to do with race at all, but if we where to change the logo Kobe would be a top candidate just from a global brand stand point. Not to mention just to honor his tragic passing. But I do agree I like the logo as it is.

Well I mean clearly what Kyrie is talking about is race.

And ya Kobe would be near the top but he wouldn’t be the top. MJ is still on a tier all by himself when it comes to National and global recognition.

How is he “clearly” talking about race by posting Kobe as the NBA logo? Unless I missed something because I can only see the picture on my phone. That sounds like insecurity on your part.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,639

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 am

not sure why people are bothered by this, a guy like Kobe Bryant represents the modern NBA way more than West, it's not a dig on West at all but today wayyy more people know who Kobe is than West.
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#64 » by Los Manos » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 am

Why do I get the sense that Kyrie was searching google for 'Kyrie Irving NBA logo' and the first link he clicked was this behance project called 'Logoman Series' where he took the Kobe logo without crediting the source:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/72162251/The-Next-NBA-logo-NBA-Logoman-Series

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,639

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 am

_Game7_ wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:Nothing to do with race at all, but if we where to change the logo Kobe would be a top candidate just from a global brand stand point. Not to mention just to honor his tragic passing. But I do agree I like the logo as it is.

And ya Kobe would be near the top but he wouldn’t be the top. MJ is still on a tier all by himself when it comes to National and global recognition.

How is he “clearly” talking about race by posting Kobe as the NBA logo? Unless I missed something because I can only see the picture on my phone. That sounds like insecurity on your part.

i agree with Ky on this, but his caption reads 'Gotta happen, idc what anyone says black kings built this league', so he did kinda bring race into this

but again, I agree that this should happen (not for race reasons tho).
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,416

Post#66 » by _Game7_ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:07 am

clyde21 wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Well I mean clearly what Kyrie is talking about is race.

i agree with Ky on this, but his caption reads 'Gotta happen, idc what anyone says black kings built this league', so he did kinda bring race into this

but again, I agree that this should happen (not for race reasons tho).

Okay I apologize I didn’t see that part. Yea Kyrie always was a weird one lmao, but either way I think it would be pretty cool to honor Kobe. But Jerry West logo is awesome as well.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 15,009

Post#67 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:10 am

The NBA logo is great as it is. I'm not sure why this topic always seems to get discussed yearly.

If the logo was going to be changed it would've been done already with MJ.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,420

Post#68 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:13 am

Kilroy wrote:I'm as big a traditionalist as anyone on here, but I still am shocked they didn't changed it to MJ after he retired for good... I was also shocked they didn't change it to Magic before MJ hit his stride...
So I'm all for a change... I don't think any of the players would mind much if they went with Kobe given everything and how his death impacted all of them... But it should probably be MJ if for no other reason than the NBA essentially was MJ for the better part of a decade.
I'm not a big disrespect guy, but if you're going to change it, it's disrespectful not to go with MJ, and it's low key shade by Kyrie to suggest Kobe before LBJ retires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,556

Post#69 » by Pablo Escobar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 am

Jordan jumpman would be an epic logo for the league. But having Kobe as the logo would be great as well.
Plata o Plomo?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,450

Post#70 » by Catchall » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:15 am

I don't mind the idea of changing the logo. It's starting to look a bit dated, and logo refreshes are pretty normal.

You could take the Kareem sky hook silhouette, or the Shaq dunk silhouette, a Kobe or Magic silhouette. The Michael Jordan silhouette is obviously already taken.

A side profile of Steph shooting a jumper would work.

I'm guessing if the league used a Steve Nash or Larry Bird silhouette, some people would be pissed off.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#71 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:16 am

skones wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:I think it would be cool to change up the logo every once in a while. Kind of like for one season type of thing where all merchandise, jerseys, etc gets branded the same, to commemorate different iconic players..This would make that certain year merch seen as more collectible and scarce. Could be a viable marketing strategy.

Changing up the VERY recognizable logo for a multi-billion dollar company who isn't struggling is NOT a viable marketing strategy. It's a dumb thing to do. Companies strive for brand recognition. You don't just throw it away when you have it.

I meant temporarily, perhaps for one season, keeping the same template and color scheme but maybe changing the silhouette. It would keep the spirit of the original logo, and would not be a complete redesign or butcher job.

It would still be recognizable and would create a feeling of scarcity and collectibility. It would be more like variability versus and all out logo change. NBA teams change logos all the time, and it doesnt affect their values negatively. Now everybody's going to want to buy the Kobe logo merchandise since it will only be available for one season. Seems viable to me...

The next season, logo returns to normal, no harm, no foul..If the logo change did increase merchandise sales, then it has proven to work. If there is no discernable increase, then it goes back to normal and they don't have to try it again.
WalkOnAir
Sophomore
And1: 340

Post#72 » by WalkOnAir » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 am

I'm going with this.....

kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#73 » by kio80 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:19 am

I love Kobe, but I am over having everything Kobe, sad sad event, but let's move on
Catchall
RealGM

Post#74 » by Catchall » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I'm as big a traditionalist as anyone on here, but I still am shocked they didn't changed it to MJ after he retired for good... I was also shocked they didn't change it to Magic before MJ hit his stride...
I'm not a big disrespect guy, but if you're going to change it, it's disrespectful not to go with MJ, and it's low key shade by Kyrie to suggest Kobe before LBJ retires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

This works...

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,795

Post#75 » by kingr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:21 am

Meh, Kobe wouldn't be my first choice.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#76 » by Catchall » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:21 am

This works...

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,392

Post#77 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 am

_Game7_ wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:Nothing to do with race at all, but if we where to change the logo Kobe would be a top candidate just from a global brand stand point. Not to mention just to honor his tragic passing. But I do agree I like the logo as it is.

I’m not even against changing the logo. But Kyrie’s captain is “Black Kings built this league”. Kyrie clearly brought race into it.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,809

Post#78 » by itrsteve » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 am

RB34 wrote:
1993Playoffs wrote:
Los Manos wrote:Why?

Not sure why it didn’t show the caption. But it says “Blacks built this league. Make it happen !”

“Black Kings built the League”

LOL, what a worldly view.

It’s a good thing he’s good at basketball
[quote=“dkb964”]156-1 Celtics are frauds when pressure is put on them. They would have been toast if Luka was not stupid enough to foul himself out. Enjoy this ONE finals win. There will never be another with the Js and the Celtics cant afford stacked team.[/quote]
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#79 » by skones » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
skones wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:I think it would be cool to change up the logo every once in a while. Kind of like for one season type of thing where all merchandise, jerseys, etc gets branded the same, to commemorate different iconic players..This would make that certain year merch seen as more collectible and scarce. Could be a viable marketing strategy.

Changing up the VERY recognizable logo for a multi-billion dollar company who isn't struggling is NOT a viable marketing strategy. It's a dumb thing to do. Companies strive for brand recognition. You don't just throw it away when you have it.

I meant temporarily, perhaps for one season, keeping the same template and color scheme but maybe changing the silhouette. It would keep the spirit of the original logo, and would not be a complete redesign or butcher job.

It would still be recognizable and would create a feeling of scarcity and collectibility. It would be more like variability versus and all out logo change. NBA teams change logos all the time, and it doesnt affect their values negatively. Now everybody's going to want to buy the Kobe logo merchandise since it will only be available for one season. Seems viable to me...

Stating the obvious but successful NBA brands DON'T change their logos all of the time because they've established brand identity. The Lakers, the Celtics, the Bulls, the Knicks. They aren't up and changing their logos because they're iconic.

Changing up logos once in a while serves nothing but to cheapen your overall brand identity.
D.Brasco
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#80 » by D.Brasco » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:23 am

Return to The General Board