Jokic's teammates failed him...AGAIN.

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

AleksandarN
General Manager
And1: 9,913

Re: Jokic's teammates failed him...AGAIN. 

Post#61 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 20, 2024 2:56 am

tsherkin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:No Jokic being the best player in the world means he is held to a higher standard. He failed so he needs to take the responsibility of that defeat. Great game by the Twolves let’s not take anything from them. They played great.

They played well. Jokic's team did not, Murray excepted (and he stank ass in the third). Jokic played very well. He did not come through with a legendary game. That's about all you can say about him. It's not the most remarkable part of that game at all.

Jokic played ok but he didn’t play up to his lofty standards. So accountability has to be his to bare. I still think Jokic is obviously the best player on the planet. But he didn’t get it done.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,298

Post#62 » by Nuntius » Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 am

Jokic and Murray scored 69 of Denver's 90 points. They shot a combined 26/54 which is a tad below 50%. That's pretty good.

The rest of the Nuggets scored 21 points on 8/28 shooting. So, yeah. That's pretty bad.

Minny won because everyone contributed. Their whole starting 5 was in double figures and so was Reid off the bench. Denver only got 5 points from their bench.

Basketball is a team game. Minny was the better team tonight and they rightfully won.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,605

Post#63 » by Pelly24 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:58 am

AleksandarN wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:No Jokic being the best player in the world means he is held to a higher standard. He failed so he needs to take the responsibility of that defeat. Great game by the Twolves let’s not take anything from them. They played great.

They played well. Jokic's team did not, Murray excepted (and he stank ass in the third). Jokic played very well. He did not come through with a legendary game. That's about all you can say about him. It's not the most remarkable part of that game at all.

Jokic played ok but he didn’t play up his lofty standards. So accountability has to be his to bare. I still think Jokic is obviously the best player on the planet. But he didn’t get it done.

TBH there's no lesson here with Jokic though. When you get 30/20/5 in a game while being doubled and your team outside of one player is playing *terribly* on offense, there's not much you can do. Your team has to make shots. That Ant could win this game while playing pretty damn poorly is a big testament to the difference in their teams.
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,210

Post#64 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon May 20, 2024 2:59 am

cpower wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:
cpower wrote:you forgot we got 2 without KD :lol:

I will never forget those 2 hospital rings, they're right up there with the in season tournament or 6th man rings in terms of value.

Btw, Curry won 1 ring due to unprecedented amount of injuries before begging KD to join, wanna remind me how many has Jokic won so far?

0 according to your rule, have they beaten a 50 wins team even? :lol:

Where did I mention anything about beating 50 win teams? I just mentioned an unprecedented amount of injuries Curry benefited from on his way finally bringing a championship to the Bay while playing the Robin role to Igoudala's Batman.

As I said in the previous post I just edited, al least Jokic won the Finals MVP and didn't have the luxury to be on a team that wins around 70% of their playoff games without him.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 28,004

Post#65 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 20, 2024 3:00 am

DeMar DeRozan would be a good fit on this Denver squad
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,381

Post#66 » by cpower » Mon May 20, 2024 3:02 am

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
cpower wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:
I will never forget those 2 hospital rings, they're right up there with the in season tournament or 6th man rings in terms of value.

Btw, Curry won 1 ring due to unprecedented amount of injuries before begging KD to join, wanna remind me how many has Jokic won so far?

0 according to your rule, have they beaten a 50 wins team even? :lol:

Where did I mention anything about beating 50 win teams? I just mentioned an unprecedented amount of injuries Curry benefited from on his way to helping Igoudala finally bringing a championship to the Bay.

As I said in the previous post I just edited, al least Jokic won the Finals MVP and didn't have the luxury to be on a team that wins around 70% of their playoff games without him.

still zero rings, Joker got carried by Murray who outplayed Lebron/AD last year. :lol: People forgot how good Murray was
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 23,205

Post#67 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 20, 2024 3:02 am

Lesson: try to incorporate your bench during the season even if it costs you a few wins.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
SweaterBae
Starter
And1: 3,387

Post#68 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 20, 2024 3:03 am

KCP shot worse from the floor in the playoffs than he did from 3 in the regular season.
AleksandarN
General Manager
And1: 9,913

Post#69 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 20, 2024 3:04 am

ItsDanger wrote:Lesson: try to incorporate your bench during the season even if it costs you a few wins.

Yeah Malone didn’t trust his bench. Peyton has great potential but Malone didn’t trust him. Too bad.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 23,205

Post#70 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 am

AleksandarN wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Lesson: try to incorporate your bench during the season even if it costs you a few wins.

Yeah Malone didn’t trust his bench. Peyton has great potential but Malone didn’t trust him. Too bad.

Watson was a guy who stepped up in regular season often but got buried on the bench by round 2. It ended up costing Denver, they looked out of gas in 2nd half of game 7.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,808

Post#71 » by tsherkin » Mon May 20, 2024 3:08 am

AleksandarN wrote:Jokic played ok but he didn’t play up to his lofty standards. So accountability has to be his to bare. I still think Jokic is obviously the best player on the planet. But he didn’t get it done.

Accountability is only worthwhile if it is sensible. He didn't get it done, but he played a very good game and you need teammates to get through good teams. Not enough of Denver showed in the second half.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,443

Post#72 » by Wallace_Wallace » Mon May 20, 2024 3:08 am

I think they would start listening to offers for MPJ/Murray. Jamal was instrumental in their title run, but relying on a #3 to be a #2 is not the way to go long term.

MPJ’s mental make up is not as tough as someone like Gordon or Braun, he needs to find a way to be useful when his shots aren’t falling (don’t Klay your way out of a slump). His talent is very similar to Brandon Ingram, why isn’t he dominating the 3rd best defender on the other team?

List of players I would inquire:
De’Aaron Fox (fantasy scenario)
Mikal Bridges (value shouldn’t be as high as it once was now that he’s a year older and he hasn’t made that leap)
Brandon Ingram (MPJ might be a better fit for Zion)
Donovan Mitchell is also another default name

Perhaps get Bruce Brown back, another scorer such as Malik Monk or a stabilizer like Malcolm Brogdon.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 28,004

Post#73 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 20, 2024 3:09 am

Need to develop Watson and Strawther
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,572

Post#74 » by bledredwine » Mon May 20, 2024 3:09 am

Fine Denver. We'll accept Murray for Lavine.

Just because we like you all.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#75 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 am

Nuntius wrote:Jokic and Murray scored 69 of Denver's 90 points. They shot a combined 26/54 which is a tad below 50%. That's pretty good.

The rest of the Nuggets scored 21 points on 8/28 shooting. So, yeah. That's pretty bad.

Minny won because everyone contributed. Their whole starting 5 was in double figures and so was Reid off the bench. Denver only got 5 points from their bench.

Basketball is a team game. Minny was the better team tonight and they rightfully won.

Minny is the better team with more talent. Someone on tv said nuggets had best starting 5 in nba, which i found ridiculous.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,288

Post#76 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 am

RRR3 wrote:Jokic was not good in the second half lol

Man this guy avoids criticism despite supposedly being the GOAT

turns out hes not the goat so people don't care anymore
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
C-Melo Man
Junior
And1: 198

Post#77 » by C-Melo Man » Mon May 20, 2024 3:11 am

The front office has a lot of work to do with surrounding Jokic with a better supporting cast. I didn't think the bench would remain putrid in a Game 7 at home following Game 6's garbage fest, but I was wrong. Denver lost Bruce Brown and Jeff Green in free agency & replaced them with who? A 34 year old Reggie Jackson & not much else. They need a backup C bad. DeAndre Jordan needs to retire as he doesn't have hardly anything left considering he rarely plays. Christian Braun is a solid hustle player, but they need more scoring off the bench and a legit option to get his own shot outside of Jokic and Murray. MPJ was terrible, Aaron Gordon didn't show up on offense and got himself in early foul trouble, KCP didn't get much going. The two man game was diagnosed by Minnesota and in turn both Murray and Jokic had no energy to bring Denver back.
GeorgeSears
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,931

Post#78 » by GeorgeSears » Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 am

The Nuggets FO was arrogant and lazy. They felt because they had Jokic, if everyone else on the starting lineup is healthy, they'll win.

So, when Bruce and Jeff left, that rendered their bench borderline unplayable. Reggie, who barely played last postseason, was now the 6th man.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,129

Post#79 » by sikma42 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 am

tsherkin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Jokic played ok but he didn’t play up to his lofty standards. So accountability has to be his to bare. I still think Jokic is obviously the best player on the planet. But he didn’t get it done.

Accountability is only worthwhile if it is sensible. He didn't get it done, but he played a very good game and you need teammates to get through good teams. Not enough of Denver showed in the second half.

Jokic legit makes every decision on the floor. That’s the way the team is set up. If he gets assists but the team isn’t functioning well, then those assists don’t mean he is playing well.

His teammates were even really getting good shots and a lot of that is on him.

Now that’s only focusing on offense. On defense, he’s was invisible. You can say he got tired but other GOAT level players don’t get tired like that (he just quit with 28 seconds left).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,210

Post#80 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 am

cpower wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:
cpower wrote:0 according to your rule, have they beaten a 50 wins team even? :lol:

Where did I mention anything about beating 50 win teams? I just mentioned an unprecedented amount of injuries Curry benefited from on his way to helping Igoudala finally bringing a championship to the Bay.

still zero rings, Joker got carried by Murray who outplayed Lebron/AD last year. :lol: People forgot how good Murray was

You went from saying Curry has won 2 rings as the guy to saying he has won 1 to finally realizing he has none? Good for you for admitting those hospital rings are completely worthless, shows a lot of growth on your part.

As for Jokic's ring last season, I agree that Murray was absolutely incredible against the Lakers, MVP of that series if you ask me but Jokic was also incredible in that series and all the other ones as well.

I also think some of the naratives pushed on this board about Murray and Jokic's supporting cast in general are complete nonsense. This series is what happens when the other guys don't step up, 3 bad losses and the biggest lead blown in a game 7 ever, at home as well. Not to mention only 1 series win in 2 seasons without Murray.

Return to The General Board