Shams: Magic Johnson steps down as Lakers President of Basketball Operations

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,107

Re: Shams: Magic Johnson steps down as Lakers President of Basketball Operations 

Post#621 » by tidho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm

fart wrote:Time to come home LBJ :D

Hell's no!

Maybe Riley wants him back, we're on the cusp of putting this thing back together, we don't need to inject it with cancer for a couple short term playoff series wins.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,840

Re: Shams: Magic Johnson steps down as Lakers President of Basketball Operations 

Post#622 » by infinite11285 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:49 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
It's Luke lol

It's got to be LeBron's people...LeBron hasn't made any comment on social media.

Yep. The pressure to fire Luke, and the behind the scenes tension with Klutch. I think Magic is caught between wanting to please Lebron's people and also Jeannie. Still a weak move to resign at this moment.

It’s being reported the backstabbing comment was in reference to Gail Benson leaking info and Rob Pelinka talking crap behind Magic's back.

But sure, LeBron’s probably the reason for bad weather in SoCal too.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#623 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:56 pm

WestbrookLove wrote:I'm finding it comedic and almost unbelievable that so many fans and media types are "shocked" that Magic stepped down.

For someone who has been in the public eye for so long, and whose personality has been so plain and apparent for any thirtysomething-plus fan to have witnessed through the years, it's clear that Magic has NEVER had an executive CEO type of personality or makeup -- which is why he didn't do well (and didn't last) as a coach, either. I'm not surprised in the least that he abruptly stepped down as the Lakers' president. He's not a strategic or analytic sort of guy -- he's much more down to Earth, people-focused, spur of the moment. Those aren't the sorts of guys who like to sit around and dictate or negotiate impersonal matters.

People are mostly shocked at the way he did it, not telling the owner first, the general bizarreness of the press conference ect.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,301

Post#624 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Paradise wrote:I think Magic Johnson has all-star GM potential but what Jeanine needed was a leader.

Based on what?

Even as a pundit the dude was pretty much wrong all the time in his player assessments. Heck, look at how he "built" the Lakers roster - surrounding LeBron with headcases that can't shoot and that need the ball in their hands to be effective is more or less in the "what not to do" chapter of 'Building a Team Around LeBron 101'.

Because someone has been a super star player, does not mean they'll be even close to competent in an executive function. Jordan sucked. Outside of Jerry West, can anyone name a former super star that has had consistent success in a front office role? Larry Bird might be the closest.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#625 » by Rockice_24 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Magic almost made Phil Jackson a competent GM.

The whole we are a family thing that came out recently and then basically leaving Buss high and dry without even telling her before resigning is so shady of Magic. How can you do that to your so called family.

I won't hate on Magic too much I mean he did give us Russell so he's a genius in my eyes.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#626 » by N8isScofield » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:Damn. Dude has survived HIV for damn near 30 years but couldn't survive 1 year of LeBron.

:noway:

yea u went too far

Listen, dude quit his job on national television without warning because it wasn't fun enough for him. He can be the butt of a joke. He's earned that.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#627 » by Rockice_24 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
Paradise wrote:I think Magic Johnson has all-star GM potential but what Jeanine needed was a leader.

Based on what?

Even as a pundit the dude was pretty much wrong all the time in his player assessments. Heck, look at how he "built" the Lakers roster - surrounding LeBron with headcases that can't shoot and that need the ball in their hands to be effective is more or less in the "what not to do" chapter of 'Building a Team Around LeBron 101'.

Because someone has been a super star player, does not mean they'll be even close to competent in an executive function. Jordan sucked. Outside of Jerry West, can anyone name a former super star that has had consistent success in a front office role? Larry Bird might be the closest.

He was reversing Magic's quote trashing Russell when he traded him and drafted Ball. Magic still taking shots at Russell on the way out. Backhanded complements are not a good look for him on his way out.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,432

Post#628 » by jg77 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm

If Lakers hire David Griffin it's a wrap for them.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,301

Post#629 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:

Based on what?

He was reversing Magic's quote trashing Russell when he traded him and drafted Ball. Magic still taking shots at Russell on the way out. Backhanded complements are not a good look for him on his way out.

Ahhh. Thanks for clarifying!
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#630 » by itlnsunsfan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:

Based on what?

Lol you missed it. Poster was poking fun at what Magic said about DLo after he traded him.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#631 » by Gus McCrae » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm

kombayn wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:If Ingram and Ball play full seasons we look much more attractive. The AD/tampering league blackballing the Lakers was probably too much for Magic. On record I think a healthy Lonzo is better than D-Lo. But yeah our front office has issues :/

Someone get their man's here and check to see if this man has dementia. Lonzo a better defender than D-Lo but D-Lo is above and beyond better all around player.

Lonzo is probably the best Pg defender in the league and is a better passer and rebounder than russell and requires way less usage.

If he ever gets healthy you’ll see.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Post#632 » by kg01 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm

:lol: Skrong. Real skrong.
king01 :king:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,432

Post#633 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:08 pm

So he planned on firing Walton first... but then, just didn’t? This is such horse pucky. He didn’t plan to do it, or .... since it was his own choice (allegedly) he round have done it. Which leads me full circle to my first gut feeling and hypothesis,....Magic Johnson was allowed to resign.

So far;

- met the day before with Buss everything fine
- public vote of confidence (usually means opposite)
- planned on firing Walton but then just didn’t wait one day and didn’t do it
- didn’t tell his boss, just couldn’t look at her
- a guy that can barely keep his mouth closed kept a secret that didn’t make it to the media or anyone close to the Lakers
- just bizarre

None of it adds up. But what does add up is they met two days ago and Magic was given an opportunity to save face and resign. Didn’t need to talk to Buss because he already had. Didn’t fire Walton because it wasn’t his job anymore and really didnt see this coming.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,147

Post#634 » by Effigy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 pm

tidho wrote:
fart wrote:Time to come home LBJ :D

Hell's no!

Maybe Riley wants him back, we're on the cusp of putting this thing back together, we don't need to inject it with cancer for a couple short term playoff series wins.

Wait..... WHAT?!

You think cleveland is on the cusp of what exactly? Being in the lottery for the next five years?
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#635 » by infinite11285 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Is Masai Ujiri available?
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#636 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Hilarious stuff. Lakers are a clown show and it's only going to get worst from here. Press conference was hilarious though. The "back-stabbing" was the most damning part. I wonder what Laker re-thread will they hire? Going to be a long summer there in hollywood.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,970

Post#637 » by Karate Diop » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Funny how Magic tried to cast doubt on Russell's ability to lead while as an executive he failed terribly as a leader.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#638 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:23 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! showtime lakers my a55
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#639 » by infinite11285 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Is the Lakers "keep it in the family" style of management still in the best interest of the organization? I think Jeanie Buss will begin to take heat for what's going on under her tenure (the worst 6 years in Laker history).
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,539

Post#640 » by An Unbiased Fan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

infinite11285 wrote:Is the Lakers "keep it in the family" style of management still in the best interest of the organization? I think Jeanie Buss will begin to take heat for what's going on under her tenure (the worst 6 years in Laker history).

Jeannie Buss took over 2 years ago. Pelinka wasn't in the Laker family, and Mgic was chosen as a figurehead. Jim Buss/Mitch hired Luke, and Scott before that.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017

Return to The General Board