Did Michael Jordan ever flop?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ca234
Freshman
And1: 1

Did Michael Jordan ever flop? 

Post#1 » by Ca234 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I've been watching a bunch of Bulls games off the internet and I dont see Jordan ever flopping to get calls. Has anybody ever seen him do it? And how about Larry Bird? Magic? Kobe?
As of Saturday, May 19th, 3:00 AM Eastern time

-[Clippers]-

Foreveralone
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Re: Did Michael Jordan ever flop? 

Post#2 » by reapaman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Kobe and Jordan didn't need to flop, they already got enough calls without guys touching them.

Magic and larry did flop of course, not as much as guys as Ainge, Divac, Laimbeer, ect...
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,993

Post#3 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Magic would definitely flair his arms here and there to get calls on offense. I honestly don't remember seeing that from Jordan and Bird. As noted, Jordan didn't need to flop. Like Magic said during that photo shoot during the Olympics, you can't get too close to Michael because that's a foul.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#4 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Kobe flops now. I don't think Jordan, Bird, and Magic flopped because it just wasn't a part of the NBA culture at that time. The NBA needs to change the culture though - it's really turning me off as a fan. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#5 » by EscapoTHB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Jordan didn't need to flop. He got all the calls without it. Jordan invented the superstar call.
chubby_1_kenobi
Starter
And1: 20

Post#6 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Kobe does a verbal flop. He likes to yell "Aaaay!" when bumped.
Veez
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#7 » by Veez » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 pm

kobe's flop is the loud HEYYYYYYYY he yells
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Kobe flails his arms, but I'm not sure if that's really considered flopping. It's more along the lines of exaggerating contact to ensure the foul is called and practically every player does it.

To me that's different than the flopping that guys like CP3, Fisher, etc. do on both ends. They completely take themselves out of the play with that nonsense, and really, flopping is mostly something that happens on defense.

Having said that, I don't recall any of the players in the OP flopping the way current players do, and I certainly don't remember all the excessive complaining. It's really gotten out of hand.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,993

Post#9 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think anybody's ever flopped like CP3. He's taking it to a new level on a nightly basis.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,613

Post#10 » by kyphi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:53 pm

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:Kobe flops now. I don't think Jordan, Bird, and Magic flopped because it just wasn't a part of the NBA culture at that time. The NBA needs to change the culture though - it's really turning me off as a fan. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Flopping became acceptable when Bill Laimbeer got away with it
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#11 » by Typhoon20 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if you'd look up the meaning of flopping and saw a picture of CP3.

There's a difference between exaggerating contact to try to get the foul and faking one to get to the foul line for a living. Jordan and many other superstars have done this which is part of the game but to me flopping is basically scamming the ref for a living consistently which truly started with CP3 and now Griffin and co.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,973

Post#12 » by SweetTouch » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Magic would definitely flair his arms here and there to get calls on offense. I honestly don't remember seeing that from Jordan and Bird. As noted, Jordan didn't need to flop. Like Magic said during that photo shoot during the Olympics, you can't get too close to Michael because that's a foul.

Microsoft Word
Stop being so disrespectful.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#13 » by semi-sentient » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 pm

SweetTouch wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Magic would definitely flair his arms here and there to get calls on offense. I honestly don't remember seeing that from Jordan and Bird. As noted, Jordan didn't need to flop. Like Magic said during that photo shoot during the Olympics, you can't get too close to Michael because that's a foul.

Microsoft Word

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
JLei
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#14 » by JLei » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Don't have to flop when if you get breathed on a foul is called. Wade is probably the closest to that now though he flops quite a bit to get some extra foul calls. Ahhh DWade how I've seen you get so many shooting fouls when no one touches you.
Modern Era Fantasy Game Champ! :king:
PG: Ricky Rubio 16
SG: Brandon Roy 09
SF: Danny Green 14
PF: Rasheed Wallace 06
C: Shaquille O'Neal 01

G: George Hill 14
F: Anthony Parker 10
C: Amir Johnson 12
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#15 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:17 pm

kyphi wrote:Flopping became acceptable when Bill Laimbeer got away with it

Back in the 80s when Jordan and Laimbeer started, there were only 2 refs and the court was less spread.
Big men could get pounded without getting calls because it was a lot harder for the refs to see.
Little guys didn't have to flop much. They got nailed if they went to the rack in traffic, and that was expected.
The extra ref changed that quite a bit, and today's flopping is a different animal altogether.
Manu Ginobili (world's greatest modern flopper in my book) would've gone back to Argentina in a body bag in the 80s.
MannyRam99
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#16 » by MannyRam99 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:17 pm

always thought Paul had more respect for the game than this.

There are so many players who deserve calls but don't resort to selling contact. It doesn't even end there, Paul is now flopping whenever a player blow by him as well.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#17 » by poeman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:17 pm

He didnt need to flop, he could even push off the defender and get no call on him.

See the 1998 finals game 6 final shot
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,613

Post#18 » by kyphi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
kyphi wrote:Flopping became acceptable when Bill Laimbeer got away with it

Back in the 80s when Jordan and Laimbeer started, there were only 2 refs and the court was less spread.
Big men could get pounded without getting calls because it was a lot harder for the refs to see.
Little guys didn't have to flop much. They got nailed if they went to the rack in traffic, and that was expected.
The extra ref changed that quite a bit, and today's flopping is a different animal altogether.
Manu Ginobili (world's greatest modern flopper in my book) would've gone back to Argentina in a body bag in the 80s.

I remember the free-for-all the NBA used to be - twas fun, too bad all we had were those giant satellites in our yards to pick up wild feeds
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#19 » by magicman1978 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote: Like Magic said during that photo shoot during the Olympics, you can't get too close to Michael because that's a foul.

I think Jordan getting superstar calls gets exaggerated a bit. Magic was actually better at getting to the line, comparatively speaking. Guys like Reggie Miller, Kevin Johnson were getting to the line at a better rate. It seemed like Jordan was getting more calls, because of the volume of shots he took, and probably because Bulls games got nationally televised pretty often. Jordan was of course one of the guys getting superstar calls, but it wasn't to the sickening level that we saw some guys get more recently.
Honey Bear
Starter
And1: 179

Post#20 » by Honey Bear » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 pm

poeman wrote:He didnt need to flop, he could even push off the defender and get no call on him.

See the 1998 finals game 6 final shot

Russell flopped. 8-)

Return to The General Board