DBR's Mock Draft

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,185

DBR's Mock Draft 

Post#1 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 pm

By the way, just for fun, here was my mock last year: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1121890

Some big DOH's in there, but also some pretty good predictions.

Anyways, here is my first mock for 2012:
1. New Orleans
- Davis: This is obvious, franchise changing player and will help them get better immediately

2. Charlotte
- Robinson: This is the second surest player in the draft, gives them offensive fire-power in their front-court

3. Washington
- Beal: They get a good off-ball back-court player with Wall

4. Cleveland
- Kidd-Gilchrist: He would form a competitive and formidable duo with Irving, allowing them to feed off each others energy.

5. Sacramento
- Barnes: He is great size and should be a good shooter, which would be a good match with Evans on the wing.

6. Portland
- Drummond: They need a franchise changing center, and for all his risks, Drummond has the potential to do this.

7. Golden State
- Henson: He solidifies their front-court, giving them a defensive presence to pair with Lee and a floor stretcher to pair with Bogut.

8. Raptors
- Waiters: They could also take Lillard here, but I think Waiters will be a better NBA player. Maybe not the greatest fit with DeRozen on the wing, but he is BPA and gives them another player to run the offense through.

9. Detroit
- Leonard: With Henson off the table, Detroit is intrigued with Leonards athletic defensive potential, and his ability to operate from the high post would pair well with Monroe.

10. New Orleans
- Zeller: This is maybe a bit of a reach, but it gets them a polished win-now player who fits well with Davis as a long term piece. His versatility of a scorer will allow him to compliment Davis, and his size+man defense is what Davis lacks as a big man. Lillard is a questionable fit with Gordon and Jack did just fine as their point guard.

11. Portland
- Lillard: If he falls to them, Lillard is the BPA and fits a need very nicely.

12. Milwaukee
- Perry Jones: With the other big men off the board, Milwaukee goes for big time offensive potential and drafts Jones.

13. Phoenix
- Rivers: Phoenix gets an alpha dog type who can come in and take the reins immediately. Their style of play should be a perfect fit with Rivers.

14. Houston
- Lamb: They take a young lengthy SG who can shoot to develop behind Martin, and eventually take over.

15. Philadelphia
- Terrance Jones: They get a talented, versatile PF to develop behind Brand. Jones knows how to contribute on a winning team and should have an immediate impact, growing as part of their core.

16. Houston
- Quincy Miller: With their second pick, Houston drafts based on potential. Miller could be one of the better scorers out of this draft, and gives them the potential to develop a #1 or #2 type option.

17. Dallas
- White: This gives them a back-up PF which they have needed. White would do best surrounded by veterans, and he could even see some time at SF next to Dirk. Dallas would still be able to run the offense through the PF position, even when Dirk is on the bench.

18. Minnesota
- Ross: They pick up a great fit for them on the wing, Ross should be able to step in immediately and fill a role for them as a shooter/defender at the SG position.

19. Orlando
- Harkless: They could go a couple ways with this pick, but assuming they bring back Nelson and Anderson, SF has been the biggest weakness. Harkless will be able to space the floor for Dwight, but also play defense on the elite SF's (LeBron, Pierce, Melo..) which is necessary to compete in the east.

20. Denver
- Marshall: They draft a replacement for Andre Miller. Marshall would have a feast with the number of athletic players and in Denvers system. Like Miller, he would probably see time next to Lawson as well.

21. Boston
- Moultrie: They get a PF they can develop behind KG. His is a very talented big man, and with an organization like Boston, they could maximize his abilities. He could also be a good fit with their next pick...

22. Boston
- Melo: Boston reforms their front-line, giving them size again. Rondo would be able to get offensive production out of these guys and help them develop. They also hope that KG's mentality rubs off on Melo, who could become a slightly bigger Perkins.

23. Atlanta
- Ezeli: With a bit of a drop off in talent, Atlanta goes for a big man with defensive upside. They would be able to develop him, but he could also relieve Horford of some center duties - a necessary change in the long term.

24. Cleveland
- Jenkins: Cleveland goes to fill a need, which is a shooter on the wing. With Irving and MKG, they are going to need an elite shooter, and Jenkins is one of the better pure shooters in the draft.

25. Memphis
- Teague: Memphis takes a flier on the athletic young guard, hoping he can replace Mayo's production off the bench. He also has the upside to eventually allow them to move Conley.

26. Indiana
- Tyshawn Taylor: They get a point guard with good size to develop behind Collison. He would share playmaking duties with Hill, and is a ball-handler who can shore up their defensive identity at the PG position.

27. Miami
- O'Quinn: With Melo and Ezeli already off the board, Miami reaches for the next best defensive big. O'Quinn showed great instincts and has phenomenal length, being the perfect rebounding/shot blocking role player that they need.

28. Oklahoma City
- Sullinger: OKC takes the risk of his health, because Sullinger would give OKC a legitimate post presence that they lack.

29. Chicago
- Wroten: With Rose out for most of next season, Chicago develops Wroten as a secondary ball-handler. Thibbs was very good for Rose's development, and could help Wroten develop his NBA game. Eventually, if those two can play together, that would be an almost impossible back-court to stop.

30. Golden State
- Jeff Taylor: With the final pick of the draft, Golden State shores up their SF position. Taylor is a high IQ and good defender and shooter who wont need many touches to be effective, allowing him to mesh with Curry, Klay, Lee and Bogut.
LobCityRondo2KG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Re: DBR's Mock Draft 

Post#2 » by LobCityRondo2KG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:37 pm

I do not think the C's would pass on Sullinger so I could see them taking him over Melo.. Solid mock though
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 pm

LobCityRondo2KG wrote:I do not think the C's would pass on Sullinger so I could see them taking him over Melo..

Haha, I actually had Sullinger going to the Celtics with Melo.

Then I realized Moultrie was still on the board, and Moultrie is taller and doesn't have the same health risks.

I just didn't like Moultrie and Sullinger together. I thought in this situation, the Celtics would be ok with Sullinger dropping past them.

Solid mock though

Thanks!

I do dislike Lillard dropping all the way to 11 and New Orleans taking Zeller at 10. This bugs me, and I am unsure how to resolve it. Maybe NO takes Lillard despite what I see as a poor fit with Gordon. I think I will make a version addressing this.

I think it would be a lot clearer if the Raptors took Lillard at 8 - and personally I would love it if the Blazers drafted Waiters instead of Lillard - but that is not likely to happen.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

DBR's Mock Draft 

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:26 pm

I'd be pretty happy with Henson and Taylor as a GS fan.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Ok, so picks 10 and 11 were bugging me. This is a similar mock but gives an alternative at those picks.

1. New Orleans
- Davis: This is obvious, franchise changing player and will help them get better immediately

2. Charlotte
- Robinson: This is the second surest player in the draft, gives them offensive fire-power in their front-court. Robinson has the mentality to be a main scorer, whereas MKG and Barnes might not. Beal would be a good choice too, but they have Henderson, and would be stuck with a combo of Thomas/Biyombo at PF/C.

3. Washington
- Beal: They get a good off-ball back-court player with Wall. They drafted two SF's last year that are still developing, and have their front-court well established.

4. Cleveland
- Kidd-Gilchrist: He would form a competitive and formidable duo with Irving, allowing them to feed off each others energy. Some project Barnes here, but I just love the fit of MKG with that team and think he is more likely to take them to the next level against eastern SF's like LeBron and Carmelo (whereas Barnes might shy from a matchup like that).

5. Sacramento
- Barnes: He has great size and should be a good shooter, which would be a good match with Evans on the wing.

6. Portland
- Drummond: They need a franchise changing center, and for all his risks, Drummond has the potential to do this.

7. Golden State
- Henson: He solidifies their front-court, giving them a defensive presence to pair with Lee and a floor stretcher to pair with Bogut. This might be a little bit of a stretch, but with Curry and Klay they are going to need better shot blocking, and Henson has the unique ability to compliment both Lee and Bogut as a PF/C.

8. Raptors
- Waiters: They could also take Lillard here, but I think Waiters will be a better NBA player. Maybe not the greatest fit with DeRozen on the wing, but he is BPA and gives them another player to run the offense through.

9. Detroit
- Leonard: With Henson off the table, Detroit is intrigued with Leonards athletic defensive potential, and his ability to operate from the high post would pair well with Monroe.

10. New Orleans
- Lillard: He might be a questionable fit with Gordon, but if they can work together, there is a lot of passing/shooting and offensive prowess there. Their shortcomings could potentially be mitigated by Davis being a defensive force, and it seems Lillard is unquestionably the BPA at 10.

11. Portland
- Marshall: With Drummond as their earlier pick, and no guarantee about signing a PG this offseason, Portland reaches a little bit to get a true floor general. Their hope is that Marshall can make the most out of Matthews/Batum's off-ball shooting/slashing, and is able to find Aldridge and Drummond for a ton of easy baskets, and that the combination of positions 2-5 will compensate for any defensive deficiencies. Marshall also is a natural leader who can co-captain with Aldridge.

12. Milwaukee
- Zeller: With Udoh and Illyasova at PF, having Zeller drop to them is nice. He will be an offensive center to replace Bogut's interior production and give them appropriate size again. He will present an easy target for Jennings and Ellis to rack up assists numbers.

13. Phoenix
- Rivers: Phoenix gets an alpha dog type who can come in and take the reins immediately. Their style of play should be a perfect fit with Rivers.

14. Houston
- Lamb: They take a young lengthy SG who can shoot to develop behind Martin, and eventually take over.

15. Philadelphia
- Terrance Jones: They get a talented, versatile PF to develop behind Brand. Jones knows how to contribute on a winning team and should have an immediate impact, growing as part of their core.

16. Houston
- Quincy Miller: With their second pick, Houston drafts based on potential. Miller could be one of the better scorers out of this draft, and gives them the potential to develop a #1 or #2 type option.

17. Dallas
- White: This gives them a back-up PF which they have needed. White would do best surrounded by veterans, and he could even see some time at SF next to Dirk. Dallas would still be able to run the offense through the PF position, even when Dirk is on the bench.

18. Minnesota
- Ross: They pick up a great fit for them on the wing, Ross should be able to step in immediately and fill a role for them as a shooter/defender at the SG position.

19. Orlando
- Harkless: They could go a couple ways with this pick, but assuming they bring back Nelson and Anderson, SF has been the biggest weakness. Harkless will be able to space the floor for Dwight, but also play defense on the elite SF's (LeBron, Pierce, Melo..) which is necessary to compete in the east.

20. Denver
- Perry Jones: He takes a bit of a spill in this scenario, but Denver is happy snatching up the offensively potent forward. He can eventually be an upgrade to Harrington, and form a good counter to Faried and McGee's offensive liabilities.

21. Boston
- Moultrie: They get a PF they can develop behind KG. His is a very talented big man, and with an organization like Boston, they could maximize his abilities. He could also be a good fit with their next pick...

22. Boston
- Melo: Boston reforms their front-line, giving them size again. Rondo would be able to get offensive production out of these guys and help them develop. They also hope that KG's mentality rubs off on Melo, who could become a slightly bigger Perkins.

23. Atlanta
- Ezeli: With a bit of a drop off in talent, Atlanta goes for a big man with defensive upside. They would be able to develop him, but he could also relieve Horford of some center duties - a necessary change in the long term.

24. Cleveland
- Jenkins: Cleveland goes to fill a need, which is a shooter on the wing. With Irving and MKG, they are going to need an elite shooter, and Jenkins is one of the better pure shooters in the draft.

25. Memphis
- Teague: Memphis takes a flier on the athletic young guard, hoping he can replace Mayo's production off the bench. He also has the upside to eventually allow them to move Conley.

26. Indiana
- Tyshawn Taylor: They get a point guard with good size to develop behind Collison. He would share playmaking duties with Hill, and is a ball-handler who can shore up their defensive identity at the PG position.

27. Miami
- O'Quinn: With Melo and Ezeli already off the board, Miami reaches for the next best defensive big. O'Quinn showed great instincts and has phenomenal length, being the perfect rebounding/shot blocking role player that they need.

28. Oklahoma City
- Sullinger: OKC takes the risk of his health, because Sullinger would give OKC a legitimate post presence that they lack.

29. Chicago
- Wroten: With Rose out for most of next season, Chicago develops Wroten as a secondary ball-handler. Thibbs was very good for Rose's development, and could help Wroten develop his NBA game. Eventually, if those two can play together, that would be an almost impossible back-court to stop.

30. Golden State
- Jeff Taylor: With the final pick of the draft, Golden State shores up their SF position. Taylor is a high IQ and good defender and shooter who wont need many touches to be effective, allowing him to mesh with Curry, Klay, Lee and Bogut.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#6 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm not a fan of either Cavs pick. I don't really see why the Cavs would want Kidd Gilchrest over Barnes and I think Jenkins is a one trick pony.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#7 » by tidho » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:22 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:I'm not a fan of either Cavs pick. I don't really see why the Cavs would want Kidd Gilchrest over Barnes and I think Jenkins is a one trick pony.

I'd go Barnes of MKG too, but do think its reasonable the Cavaliers might not.
I do agree on Jenkins, even with MKG he's far too one dimensional. In this scenario Barton is still available and he can play both ends, I'd take him over Jenkins.
Sullinger slides way down in this mock too. I don't see him getting past Boston, but if he did I think he'd be an outstanding option for the Cavaliers at #24. With Tristan and Andy you could give Sullinger a little lighter load plus he'd provide the low post offense those two don't. Very nice three big rotation.

Return to Mock Drafts