3%

Total votes: 72

Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Community thread - New posters introduce yourself here as well 

Post#1 » by Kerrsed » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 am

Continued from : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1052775&start=1470#p35084421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXjHSbyJuPY&[/youtube]
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,183

Re: Official Suns Board Community Thread 5 

Post#2 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:14 am

Second!

Fixed! - Kerrsed
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#3 » by RunDogGun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 am

Third is the charmer?

Played drums for the first time in a while, and the thumb held up. No Bball yet. :(
mybloodisorange
Rookie
And1: 66

Post#4 » by mybloodisorange » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 am

Fourth!

Still don't too crazy when you start playing because its easy to pop your thumb. Don'y laugh but I injured mine playing kung fu high impact like 6 weeks ago and im just now starting to heal. I played basketball today outdoors with my huge friend Ken (6'5 280) and did pretty well. My mobility has increased since I dropped to 165 lbs but since I lost so much weight I need to build some more strength so I cant get posted up easier than when I was 212. I am really starting to feel the rust coming off...from dribble moves to defense its all starting to come back.

If you guys were basically starting from scratch which exercises would you focus on? I think i'm going to focus on legs/squats and core first. I had some lower back injuries earlier in life so im taking it very carefully & doing lots of stretching as well.
Everybody dies but not everybody truly lives.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#5 » by DRK » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
mybloodisorange
Rookie

Post#6 » by mybloodisorange » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Why is he a driving instructor?
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#7 » by RunDogGun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

mybloodisorange wrote:Fourth!

Still don't too crazy when you start playing because its easy to pop your thumb. Don'y laugh but I injured mine playing kung fu high impact like 6 weeks ago and im just now starting to heal. I played basketball today outdoors with my huge friend Ken (6'5 280) and did pretty well. My mobility has increased since I dropped to 165 lbs but since I lost so much weight I need to build some more strength so I cant get posted up easier than when I was 212. I am really starting to feel the rust coming off...from dribble moves to defense its all starting to come back.

If you guys were basically starting from scratch which exercises would you focus on? I think i'm going to focus on legs/squats and core first. I had some lower back injuries earlier in life so im taking it very carefully & doing lots of stretching as well.

Well for drums, I always did low weight more reps to get good endurance, and not bulk up. But I like when I do more core, I noticed quite a difference when guys try to post me up, and setting screens.

I'll wait to play Bball. I might go shoot, and focus on my left hand shots (it may be a blessing in disguise). But the thumb still hurts, and moreso when over used. But it isn't purple anymore. :D
mybloodisorange
Rookie

Post#8 » by mybloodisorange » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Just be careful; I got a little hand brace thingy at the grocery store it does pretty well for adding a little more support/protection when you play. As long as you dont drive or post up and get fouled alot you should be ok; play on the perimeter for a week or so until it feels right. I like that you are taking the opportunity to work on dribbling skills too; dispite what Iverson believes it does make you better. :lol: The past few years i've made a concerted effort to dribble left handed with my right hand in my pocket for like an hour; youd be suprised how quick it improves your offhand dribble! Nothing crazy just running up and down the court then practicing some dribble moves & crossovers.

Improving my offhand dribble has made me harder to control since the defender cant just guard my dominant arm.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#9 » by RunDogGun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:28 am

mybloodisorange wrote:Just be careful; I got a little hand brace thingy at the grocery store it does pretty well for adding a little more support/protection when you play. As long as you dont drive or post up and get fouled alot you should be ok; play on the perimeter for a week or so until it feels right. I like that you are taking the opportunity to work on dribbling skills too; dispite what Iverson believes it does make you better. :lol: The past few years i've made a concerted effort to dribble left handed with my right hand in my pocket for like an hour; youd be suprised how quick it improves your offhand dribble! Nothing crazy just running up and down the court then practicing some dribble moves & crossovers.

Improving my offhand dribble has made me harder to control since the defender cant just guard my dominant arm.

I started shooting left handed about twelve years or so ago. I did it to help my independence for drumming. I started with throwing darts left handed. After it happened, i shot bank shots left handed, and did better than i thought.

I have a brace as well. My old neighbor sold medical equiptment, so I've had it for a while. I have wide hands, so it didn't fit great, so I wrapped it. I iced it often for about a week, and took ibuprofen. It feels so much better, but not ready for contact yet. It will be tough to not play, but I guess I'll learn so patience as well. :D
mybloodisorange
Rookie

Post#10 » by mybloodisorange » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 am

I can actually dribble very well with my left but I cant shoot or finish layups with it. Defense im pretty good all around with either hand; my game is basically based on defense, IQ and versatility. I am a great midrange shooter but my 3 is shaky at best probably because my legs are still not as strong as I want them to be. I'm not super quick and I have no vertical but I do pretty well of minimizing my weaknesses by playing an oldschool "dirty" type game. I've gotten pretty good over the years at anticipating and beat people to the spot etc... basically just hustle and harass.

It's amazing how many people just play on cruise control on defense but when they have the ball suddenly they want to score like there is an NBA scout watching or something.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#11 » by RunDogGun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm

mybloodisorange wrote:I can actually dribble very well with my left but I cant shoot or finish layups with it. Defense im pretty good all around with either hand; my game is basically based on defense, IQ and versatility. I am a great midrange shooter but my 3 is shaky at best probably because my legs are still not as strong as I want them to be. I'm not super quick and I have no vertical but I do pretty well of minimizing my weaknesses by playing an oldschool "dirty" type game. I've gotten pretty good over the years at anticipating and beat people to the spot etc... basically just hustle and harass.

It's amazing how many people just play on cruise control on defense but when they have the ball suddenly they want to score like there is an NBA scout watching or something.

When I was in HS, I wasn't really a good shooter, limited layup ability, still decent long range shooter, but my main thing was defense. I would harass people and be in their grill the whole time. Late in HS and going into college I would practice shooting for hours at a time all the time. It was the only sport I played. I became a very good shooter, and now with constantly working on my bank shot, I am confident from almost anywhere NBA three and in. Like I said, later in college I worked on my left, my really only weakness on the offensive side. My defense was still very good, but I have never been a fan of fouling, or "dirty" old school play. I always felt that if I fouled, it was because I was late in my rotation or slow on my defense, and I never wanted to be the reason someone got injured on the court, because I didn't do my best.

After college I started coaching, I coached boys and girls for six years and also taught PE for three years besides my coaching. I went to tons of coaches clinics, and sat in and ran through practices of other coaches. I learned a ton. I used those experiences to improve my game, you can't teach something you don't know how to do. Through my coaching I also worked on my shot, and shot form, and that Steve Nash YouTube twenty minute workout is great to do for that (saw it much later than my coaching, but still good).

Over the last few years, I'm just not as quick as I was, but I still see to out hustle all the youngsters at the gym. My lateral quickness is weaker. I'm not sure about my vert, because I never could dunk. :lol: I play defense like Grant Hill did on Kobe. I try and read his moves (whoever I'm guarding) and try and disrupt his shot before he gets it past his chest. I use my body more, to keep bigger guys from setting up in the paint. On offense, if I'm not bringing the ball up, I set screens like crazy, and I try and grab as many rebounds as possible. I find the best shooter on my team besides me, and I make sure he or she is open as much as possible. I really just love good team play. But I still love twenty-one where I can get exercise, and out hustle everyone, while not having to worry about hogging the ball. :D
mybloodisorange
Rookie

Post#12 » by mybloodisorange » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Granted im sure you are much better than me but it sounds like we have a similar type game. There is nothing I love more than frustrating people with tough defense, setting a good screen or fighting for a boxout/rebound. Anyone can just shoot.

I nicknamed myself the blanket because thats how I like to cover people. :D
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#13 » by RunDogGun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:37 pm

mybloodisorange wrote:Granted im sure you are much better than me but it sounds like we have a similar type game. There is nothing I love more than frustrating people with tough defense, setting a good screen or fighting for a boxout/rebound. Anyone can just shoot.

I nicknamed myself the blanket because thats how I like to cover people. :D

I have never given myself a nickname, but whenever I'm on the court I usually hear them say "Money", or "get out on him, he can shoo..damn it!". Or "good boxout", "who is guarding that guy.?". "a banked three pointer? What are you Duncan?". I usually respond with, "I like Pippen better." :lol:

The only thing I can't do is dunk, but I have also never practiced or worked hard to try. I've got good ball handling skills, I love to make a good assist, so I usually play point. When I'm in shape, I like to come off screens and drain the three (the gym is usually college three). I always love to do all the dirty work on defense, and get the extra possession for my team. I love a good pick and roll, or pick and pop, so playing two on two or three on three is also a blast.

I guess basically I just love every aspect of basketball, and any chance I get to play, I take full advantage of it.

Too bad I live in Minny, it would be fun to get some of the guys from the board together for some games every once in a while.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#14 » by ATTL » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 am

I got nicknamed pussy-hands because they're quick like a cat's.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#15 » by RunDogGun » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 am

ATTL wrote:I got nicknamed pussy-hands because they're quick like a cat's.

:o Meow!
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#16 » by rsavaj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 am

I got nicknamed "ugh...I guess I'll take that guy" because that's generally what whoever gets stuck with me says.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#17 » by DRK » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:41 am

ATTL wrote:I got nicknamed pussy-hands because they're quick like a cat's.

:eyebrows:
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
harshey1388
Assistant Coach
And1: 249

Post#18 » by harshey1388 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 am

rsavaj wrote:I got nicknamed "ugh...I guess I'll take that guy" because that's generally what whoever gets stuck with me says.

did you ever ball at the GC picnics? I remember playing every year I went!
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#19 » by rsavaj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 am

harshey1388 wrote:
rsavaj wrote:I got nicknamed "ugh...I guess I'll take that guy" because that's generally what whoever gets stuck with me says.

did you ever ball at the GC picnics? I remember playing every year I went!

I don't think I ever did. Heck, I barely even remember going to those things...haven't gone in years. I've been out of town for the past three years of garba too, which actually bums me out, because I went pretty much every year from like 03-09. I was in Atlanta this past Fall, and Georgia Tech was doing garba, but nobody I knew in the area wanted to go with me ha.

I'm hoping I'll be in Phoenix for this year.
mybloodisorange
Rookie

Post#20 » by mybloodisorange » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 am

If anyone is ever in Phoenix and wants to play just let me know!

Return to Phoenix Suns