[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2014 Offseason: Cornerbacks

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

2014 Offseason: Cornerbacks 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Redskins were trash defensively, even if we scored 35, there was a good chance they were going to give up 42. Cornerback is arguably one of the biggest needs on this team and I'd argue that the majority of the cap space they have has to go on the defensive side of the ball. They are keeping the 3-4 defense, and are bringing back Jim Haslett, who is on the last year of his deal. How the defense performs will go a long way in terms of whether he stays on, or is fired.

Let's start with corners. Chase Minnifield, David Amerson and Richard Crawford are the only guys under contract for next season. I'd definitely like to bring Hall back, but they need more corner help.

Here's a list of free agents:

Alterraun Verner from the Titans. Arguably the top free agent corner on the market. Pro Bowler, 25 years old, and durable, played in all 16 games this past season. He would be my top target.

Aqib Talib, he and Raheem (who is staying on) go back from their Tampa days, and Bruce Allen was the one who drafted him. Hopefully the medical reports check out b/c he took a vicious hit to the knee in the AFC Championship game, but he would also be one of my top targets.

Brandon Browner. This dude is nasty, but he also has faced a 4 game suspension so he's on that Fred Davis territory. Also a restricted free agent, but this dude can cover and hit, and has publicly said he's watched film of Sean Taylor, so that automatically makes me a fan.

Other fallback options...Sam Shields of the Packers, Brent Grimes, and Vontae Davis, but Verner, Talb, and Browner would be my first three choices, in addition to signing Hall.

Also keep your eye on Captain Munnerlyn of the Carolina Panthers, may not cost as much and could be a really good #3 or #4 corner. I think if they get Hall back, Amerson, and then hit on one of the free agent corners, that's a really solid trio of corners.

Draft wise...Stanley Jean-Baptiste is an intriguing option. Projected to go in the 3rd round but with a strong combine, there's a good chance he'll move up. Problem is that we have at least the 2nd pick overall in each round except the first round. Up through maybe the 6th round, because of where we pick, that guy should be a starter, if not at least the backup. So if they go defense, and select a corner, you pretty much have to bank on that kid producing his first year in.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: 2014 Offseason: Cornerbacks 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:10 am

I also thought I saw that Charles Tillman could be available. He's big and a turnover machine. IIRC he's coming off an injury, though.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I also thought I saw that Charles Tillman could be available. He's big and a turnover machine. IIRC he's coming off an injury, though.

33 years old though. He might be moved to safety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:I also thought I saw that Charles Tillman could be available. He's big and a turnover machine. IIRC he's coming off an injury, though.

33 years old though. He might be moved to safety.

Hey, we can use that too. :D
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 am

True! I'll get to safety within the next few days.

BTW, disregard Brandon Browner. I looked him up, apparently he's suspended through Week 15 of next season, so unless he's willing to sign a incentive laden deal, I'd erase him off my board.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 am

Hall re-signs with the Redskins 4 yr/$17 million deal. No word on guaranteed money though.

Still want one of Talib or Verner though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Hall re-signs with the Redskins 4 yr/$17 million deal. No word on guaranteed money though.

I am not excited about this. Yes, Hall was a great bargain last season but this feels like too much in the other direction. Was he going to get anything close to that in FA?

I'm really hoping this isn't Bruce taking care of one of his guys. We have too many holes to fill for the team to start doing that again.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Hall re-signs with the Redskins 4 yr/$17 million deal. No word on guaranteed money though.

I am not excited about this. Yes, Hall was a great bargain last season but this feels like too much in the other direction. Was he going to get anything close to that in FA?

I'm really hoping this isn't Bruce taking care of one of his guys. We have too many holes to fill for the team to start doing that again.

He didn't rank all that high on Pro Football Focus, something like 84th out of 110 corners, but it seemed as though he had a solid season overall. From what I've read, it's essentially a 2 year deal.

$3.25 mil signing bonus, $2 mil more in guarantees.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 5, 2014 4:26 am

Brandon Browner re-instated. I think he can be a #1 corner, but I wonder if the Fred Davis situation will make the Skins gun-shy.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 3:11 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Brandon Browner re-instated. I think he can be a #1 corner, but I wonder if the Fred Davis situation will make the Skins gun-shy.

Yeah probably. Also suspended the first 4 games to boot. I would take the chance, but it's not my money. Would probably be low on guarantees, but hittable incentives if he's clean.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:03 am

Rafael122 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Brandon Browner re-instated. I think he can be a #1 corner, but I wonder if the Fred Davis situation will make the Skins gun-shy.

Yeah probably. Also suspended the first 4 games to boot. I would take the chance, but it's not my money. Would probably be low on guarantees, but hittable incentives if he's clean.

And what about Finnegan now that he's going to be released? Him and Browner on the outside with Hall in the slot? Would definitely be an upgrade over what we have now. Sort of leaves Amerson as the odd man out, but he'd get to play while Browner is out and it would give Haslett the option to play lots of dime coverage.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Sun Mar 9, 2014 3:08 pm

Finnegan seems to have lost a step. He's an **** but you need **** in the secondary. Shields signed a 4 year extension to stay with the Packers. Talib is about to get PAID.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Re-post from the safeties thread since it also talks about corners:

The Redskins over the course of the past several days have expressed interest in Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd, Baltimore cornerback Corey Graham and Carolina cornerback Captain Munnerlyn.

Add those names to the list that already includes New England cornerback Aqib Talib and Carolina safety Mike Mitchell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... 4&hpid=z11
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Per John Clayton, seems as though the team are the favorites to sign Talib.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Carlos Rogers was released, reports on Twitter suggest there's mutual interest in bringing him back. I will always remember him dropping a potential pick six in the playoff game against Seattle. 33 years old, he was a pro bowler I believe 2 years ago, so he still has something left. Would probably be a nickel corner.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Carlos Rogers was released, reports on Twitter suggest there's mutual interest in bringing him back. I will always remember him dropping a potential pick six in the playoff game against Seattle. 33 years old, he was a pro bowler I believe 2 years ago, so he still has something left. Would probably be a nickel corner.

Wow, didn't realize he was that old. He's had a quiet last couple of years, though. I'd save him for a later signing if they miss out on everyone else.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:54 pm

The contracts these corners are getting are gross. I wouldn't be opposed to a Corey Graham type, he's a special teamer as well as a slot corner. Will probably come on the cheap as well.

Bring back him and Rogers, and you've got something w/Hall, Amerson, Graham, and Rogers. BIG improvement over last year.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 am

Tracy Porter will man the slot for us now. No problems with that signing. It'll be interesting to see if they bring in another corner. I guess it depends on how they feel about Amerson.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:21 am

Was reading on twitter that Amerson could move to free safety, so who knows. I think they should try and get one of Thurmond or Browner, and call it a day with the corners.

Return to Washington Football Team