NCAA CBB Offensive Playbook

Moderator: bwgood77

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

NCAA CBB Offensive Playbook 

Post#1 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 pm

As you know the college basketball season kicked off yesterday and this thread is going to provide NCAA sets and plays from any games that I watch. Hopefully, it will provide some insight into each team's main sets and plays so you guys can get an idea of what they run once March Madness begins. Feel free to share and add any video of your own that you see. If you guys have any requests for a specific team let me know and I'll try to provide some video. Also, if you want the diagrams please let me know.

To begin, here are some of Duke's BLOB sets from their game last night. I believe their first two BLOB sets are "Fist" based on the call. They normally run multiple options off of this although the hand-off is their predominant option.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orsnzywDoxw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: NCAA CBB Offensive Playbook 

Post#2 » by Kabookalu » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 am

I can't believe this has no replies, until now.
Read on Twitter
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#3 » by Arman_tanzarian » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks UD, I look forward to these.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Undefeated » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:05 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P72G57c_fA[/youtube]
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#5 » by Kabookalu » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 pm

It seems like every team ices now, and plays nowadays are developed to figure out how to get a pick and roll going on after the defense ices the sideline pick and rolls.

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Since all the clips linked are from Duke I'm not sure I get the title of the thread. We didn't even get to see a Canadian kid make the play of the game for Kentucky on a high screen.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Undefeated » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:44 pm

The_Hater wrote:Since all the clips linked are from Duke I'm not sure I get the title of the thread. We didn't even get to see a Canadian kid make the play of the game for Kentucky on a high screen.

Kentucky just runs a DDM offense. I have clips of them just haven't decided to release them yet. As the season progresses I will include other teams. Next team will be Maryland.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#8 » by JN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 pm

You missed some of Duke's famous 8 man sets....

Keep on posting them. I have to admit that while I have been passionate about the NCAA (a little less now than before), the playbook is never something I got that intrigued by. I will try to read a few more of them this year to understand that element a bit better.

I am a little bit more of a numbers guy for NCAA, and trying to compare the relative worth of teams / how they are tracking for the tourney.

How does Syracuse compare to other high level teams in terms of its playbook. I have always thought it was rather elementary, but you would be in a better position to compare it to other teams. There offence really worked well in 2010, when they had a rotation of 7 skilled players (who were skilled in at least one element of offence) who could move the ball well. But since then it seems often disjointed -- although that would seem to be an issue accross the entire NCAA in past years.

Given your passion and studying multiple playbooks/teams, is it fair to assume that you would to coach one day?
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:14 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy97epowFtY[/youtube]
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:16 am

Diagram:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zxub08gklpg5dv/Zags%20Jersey.pdf?dl=0

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3InRckqENFo[/youtube]

This set is very similar to Duke's PNR Continuity that I posted earlier call "5". Essentially, it's a continuity set where in the diagram after the fourth frame they go back into their same initial action. Very tough action to defend designed by Mark Few with the multiple shooting threats he has on the floor and a big guy like Karnowski slicing to the rim and carving out space in the post on duck-in opportunities. On the hand-off action teams will often go under the "dribble screen" and it's a costly mistake. If team's successfully stop the hand-off, the play progresses with 4, often Wiltjer, popping high to receiver the pass and he can either shoot if his man is occupied with helping x5 since 5's defender had to help on the hand-off, look for 5 ducking-in or go right back into their continuity on the other side of the floor.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 am

JN wrote:How does Syracuse compare to other high level teams in terms of its playbook. I have always thought it was rather elementary, but you would be in a better position to compare it to other teams. There offence really worked well in 2010, when they had a rotation of 7 skilled players (who were skilled in at least one element of offence) who could move the ball well. But since then it seems often disjointed -- although that would seem to be an issue accross the entire NCAA in past years.

I don't really follow 'Cuse a lot so I'm not extremely familiar with all their sets and play calls. Their games tend to be really boring for me because of their 2-3 Zone defense stopping the opponent from what they normally run. Same goes with Louisville. More teams should invest time in practicing their Zone O or at least have a few plays to counter punch it rather than swinging the ball around up top until they create a seam to get the ball into the middle wasting precious time on the clock especially with the newly shot clock this year.

I've watched their game against UConn and the Aggies this week, and it seems they run a lot of standard stuff you typically see like Floppy for Trevor Cooney (their call for that is "1" I believe) and Double Ball-Screen actions where Boeheim will signal with a double fist together on the sideline. Nothing really special, honestly. But I'll go through more of their film to give you an idea.

Given your passion and studying multiple playbooks/teams, is it fair to assume that you would to coach one day?

Absolutely no desire to coach. What most people here don't realize is that coaches RARELY deal with the X's/O's of the game since I'm working for one of the top CIS schools this year, and I'm not particularly interested in the other stuff.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Undefeated » Thu Dec 3, 2015 5:51 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hpGdDZzwo[/youtube]
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Undefeated » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:24 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52smagcFH1o[/youtube]
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#14 » by krii » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Undefeated wrote:Diagram:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zxub08gklpg5dv/Zags%20Jersey.pdf?dl=0

This set is very similar to Duke's PNR Continuity that I posted earlier call "5". Essentially, it's a continuity set where in the diagram after the fourth frame they go back into their same initial action. Very tough action to defend designed by Mark Few with the multiple shooting threats he has on the floor and a big guy like Karnowski slicing to the rim and carving out space in the post on duck-in opportunities. On the hand-off action teams will often go under the "dribble screen" and it's a costly mistake. If team's successfully stop the hand-off, the play progresses with 4, often Wiltjer, popping high to receiver the pass and he can either shoot if his man is occupied with helping x5 since 5's defender had to help on the hand-off, look for 5 ducking-in or go right back into their continuity on the other side of the floor.

Wow this was impressive.

Have you watched any of Gonzaga's game this season? Are they anything new in the playbook with so many new players and change in pace?

Return to NCAA Basketball