[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,774

Re: 2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp) 

Post#41 » by Rafael122 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:09 pm

1 year deal for Vernon Davis, TE chart is crowded w/Reed, Paulsen, Paul and now Davis.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 1, 2016 12:24 am

Rafael122 wrote:1 year deal for Vernon Davis, TE chart is crowded w/Reed, Paulsen, Paul and now Davis.

And even though he's a big name well past his prime, this is not a Dan Snyderish type move. This is GMSM taking one of his guys from when they were together in SF. It's a mutual respect thing. Even near the end of his career, I expect Davis will be a huge fan favorite - considering how good he was at Maryland.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#43 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 am

Greg Toler signed as another body in the secondary. They seem to do okay with stop-gap corners, but I think they have to take a safety early in the draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Greg Toler signed as another body in the secondary. They seem to do okay with stop-gap corners, but I think they have to take a safety early in the draft.

Keep an eye on Karl Joseph, might be a target now that he seems to have been given a clean bill of health.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:42 pm

With the draft on April 28th, it's time for people to start weighing in with who they think will or should be the Skins first round pick. The assumption is that their draft will be heavy on defense, but I'd have a real tough time passing on TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson. I'm not an NFL draft guru by any stretch, but this guy seems like he fits right into the mold of today's ideal WR's - and I'm not sure why he's not rated higher than he is. 6'2, a real leaper, fights hard for the ball, excellent hands, good strength, has the ability to break long ones and run after the catch, and he was very productive. He also interviewed extremely well. And if they get him, that lets them release the clearly declining and over-paid Garcon - freeing up some cap room.

But Eli Apple, the big fast Ohio State CB would also be real hard to pass up. His combo of size/speed/length, aggression, and coverage ability would be awfully hard to pass up - though his lack of experience might mean he won't be able to step in as a rookie.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#46 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Josh Norman, anyone?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:03 pm

Umm, yeah, if we get Norman, this offseason is a win. This is Jackson 2.0, you think you're done with your offseason and then he just falls into your lap.

This would also help them with their draft pick, now they don't have to take a corner. I'm on board with the safety Joseph.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Wow, getting Norman and Joseph would give the Skins such an improved secondary - especially if Culliver makes a strong comeback.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,729

Post#49 » by gambitx777 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Damn Norman! Not bad!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#50 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:25 pm

The Washington Redskins wide receiver corps just got deeper on Thursday night, as the team selected TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson with the No. 22 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Select-Wide-Receiver-Josh-Doctson-With-No-22-Pick/787525ff-9d33-4641-b1f1-60939825e0e2

Was hoping for a safety, but I'm fine with this pick. Tall, super athlete, gives Captain Kirk another weapon, and sets us up for when Jackson/Garcon are FA next year. I wonder if this also makes Garcon more expendable this year given his cap number.

But tonight has to be "defense, defense, defense"! I want a safety, a D-lineman, and an inside linebacker. I guess I'd settle for a center, but that's not my priority. We'll see if GMSM feels the same. If he does, I might have my new avatar. :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:With the draft on April 28th, it's time for people to start weighing in with who they think will or should be the Skins first round pick. The assumption is that their draft will be heavy on defense, but I'd have a real tough time passing on TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson. I'm not an NFL draft guru by any stretch, but this guy seems like he fits right into the mold of today's ideal WR's - and I'm not sure why he's not rated higher than he is. 6'2, a real leaper, fights hard for the ball, excellent hands, good strength, has the ability to break long ones and run after the catch, and he was very productive. He also interviewed extremely well. And if they get him, that lets them release the clearly declining and over-paid Garcon - freeing up some cap room.

I know everyone's thinking it, so I'll say it - Damn, I'm good!. :nod:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#52 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Ruzious wrote:With the draft on April 28th, it's time for people to start weighing in with who they think will or should be the Skins first round pick. The assumption is that their draft will be heavy on defense, but I'd have a real tough time passing on TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson. I'm not an NFL draft guru by any stretch, but this guy seems like he fits right into the mold of today's ideal WR's - and I'm not sure why he's not rated higher than he is. 6'2, a real leaper, fights hard for the ball, excellent hands, good strength, has the ability to break long ones and run after the catch, and he was very productive. He also interviewed extremely well. And if they get him, that lets them release the clearly declining and over-paid Garcon - freeing up some cap room.

I know everyone's thinking it, so I'll say it - Damn, I'm good!. :nod:

Indeed! Almost CCJ-esque. :D

:bowdown:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks Rico. I'll always be stuck with that "poor-man's CCJ" label. :)

Seems like there are a lot of nice 2nd round prospects. Ashawn Robinson, Reggie Ragland, and Billings - to name just a few of them. Any of those 3 dropping would be great. Sounds like Billings is the most likely. I think he'd be a steal.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#54 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:58 pm

When was the last time the skins had a big wide receiver that was any good? Has there been one since Monk?

Kind of like the Wizards power forward situation since C Webb left.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#55 » by LyricalRico » Sun May 1, 2016 2:19 pm

A little more offense in this draft than I would have thought, but they all seem to be good picks for their slots. Also like that GMSM picked up 3 more 2017 picks in the process.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Rafael122 » Mon May 2, 2016 1:18 pm

Most of the draft 'experts' are giving us either an A or B...I think the lowest grade I've seen was a B+. It looks like the kid from Temple will be a rotational player at the very least but I'm quite shocked we didn't go defensive tackle early on. Billings was there until the fourth round and they had him pegged as a 1st round pick. I like the Daniels pick, at that point, you're probably just looking at guys to play special teams but Mayock was high on him, could be a starter down the line.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Mon May 2, 2016 1:19 pm

LyricalRico wrote:A little more offense in this draft than I would have thought, but they all seem to be good picks for their slots. Also like that GMSM picked up 3 more 2017 picks in the process.

Yeah, I would have liked it if they had their 4th round pick, but in Scot I'll trust. He thought the CB in the 3rd round was their best value pick, and picking a CB there definitely shows they went by their board - BPA. People really like the 5th round D-lineman they got, and Scot says he can gain 15 lbs and play NT. The reports on the QB in the 6th round has great size, a good arm, good pocket presence, and would have done better if his O-line was decent. They got a legit speedster (4.30 40!) RB in the 7th round who was very highly rated coming out of HS but had bad injury issues that he's completely healed from. And a short by strong ILB earlier in the 7th who was a very productive leader of an excellent defense. Sounds like every pick was very solid.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 5, 2016 1:42 pm

Reed with a 5 year, $50 million extension. $22 million guaranteed. Good to see this get wrapped up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Thu May 5, 2016 2:41 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Reed with a 5 year, $50 million extension. $22 million guaranteed. Good to see this get wrapped up.

That's a bargain - if he stays healthy.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#60 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Highlight of the offseason? You decide:

On Sunday, DJ Khaled released a video for “I Got the Keys,” the latest single off his upcoming LP “Major Key.” The NSFW song features Future and Jay Z, who name-drops Redskins cornerback Josh Norman around the one-minute mark, as noted by Redskins beat writer Master Tesfatsion:

I been speeding through life with no safety belt.
One-on-one with the corner, with no safety help.
I perform like Josh Norman, I ain’t normal.

:D

Return to Washington Football Team