Brian Sabean

Moderator: TyCobb

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Brian Sabean 

Post#1 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:23 pm

isnt it about time architect of the greatest club of the 21st century gets the same praise and adoration that likes of popovich and belichick get? best record in the league, 7 game division lead already over the most expensive team in history, and even though he spent a little for pitching this season he usually gets it done with homegrown players, rejects or spare parts of other teams at the core of the team.

looking at the line up only Pence is a high priced acquisition and Posey only high draft pick. Belt 5th round pick, Crawford 4th, Panik late 1st, Duffy 18th rounder, Pagan journeyman came over for 4 million, Blanco came over with a minor league contract, Brown 10th round pick, Parker 2nd rounder, Gillaspie 37th, Tomlinson 12th rounder, Williamson 3rd round pick. not the mention the pitchers he found out of nowhere like romo, suarez, law etc

no doubt the best mind in the game.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Brian Sabean 

Post#2 » by Latrell » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:42 pm

He's no doubt one of the best execs in sports. People that know baseball know how great he is. I think Pop and Belichek get more mainstream love because they are also on the sidelines and the casuals see them more.

If you're talking just executives it's between Sabean and Stan Bowman.

I can't give it to any NBA exec because once you have a star your job becomes 100% easier. NBA is too player driven.

I can't give it to an NFL exec because there hasn't been like a dominant drafter or someone who rips off teams in trades all the time. There's parity between NFL execs too. Even Belichek, he built a winning culture around a Top 3 all time QB. That's more coaching/player development than player personnel decisions.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Not sure he beats Theo.
You'd have to reach into his Yankees history to do that.

But Theo's a big part of the reason the current Sox roster is doing well and this Cubs roster.

Oh and that Andrew Friedman guy is pretty good. Not quite accomplished yet but he will be....don't ya think Arda?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
El Turco

Post#4 » by El Turco » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:46 am

friedman bit like daryl morey, his reputation far exceeds his results and actual abilities. despite the biggest budget in baseball history dodgers worse than they were year ago, offense regressed and rotation is worse. god bless the piss poor division though.

first sox title wasnt really his but theo might get there if he finishes the job with the cubs. he gets it done with high priced acquisition and high draft picks though, bit different than sabean.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Morey has never made an NBA finals.

Not like he's using that budget (that was already expensive as hell when he got to the team) to bring in lavish free agents. His focus has been more on our developmental side. But I wouldn't expect you to respect it in the first place.

David Vassegh ?@THEREAL_DV
#TheNote "@Duane_McDonald: Dodgers through 101 games:

2016- 57-44
2015- 56-45
2014- 56-45
2013- 53-48

Sure do wish those "better" rotations (really just Kershaw and Greinke top heavy ones) would have had us better through 101 games. May have helped. Just maybe.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
El Turco

Post#6 » by El Turco » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:31 pm

what is the record excluding the 3 bottom dwellers in the division?

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:35 am

14-9 East
14-10 Central
23-18 West
6-8 Interleague

8-5 Padres
5-4 Diamondbacks
6-3 Rockies
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#8 » by Stanford » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:16 pm

He's dumb.
El Turco

Post#9 » by El Turco » Tue Aug 2, 2016 8:15 am

at least moore has a great contract, god bless friedman

Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#10 » by Latrell » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:22 pm

Moore is nice, but my favourite Giants trade is the acquisition of Nunez.

I felt like the Giants biggest need is an energy guy. I feel pretty good about betting them for the WS.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#11 » by DirtyDez » Fri Sep 9, 2016 7:14 am

Arda K wrote:friedman bit like daryl morey, his reputation far exceeds his results and actual abilities. despite the biggest budget in baseball history dodgers worse than they were year ago, offense regressed and rotation is worse. god bless the piss poor division though.

first sox title wasnt really his but theo might get there if he finishes the job with the cubs. he gets it done with high priced acquisition and high draft picks though, bit different than sabean.

Andrew Friedman has more talent in his pinkie finger than Daryl Morey.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#12 » by wco81 » Sun May 7, 2017 10:48 pm

Well the Giants seem headed towards a miserable season -- just got swept by the Reds.

They spent the last couple of seasons on big free agents. Cueto has worked out but others have not.

You can't fault the size of the payroll.

And you can't deny the 3 WS rings. However, it's been almost a decade since they've had any decent players come out of the farm system and the team faces the same problem of an anemic offense. Unless you get Herculean efforts like Bumgarner in the post-season, the Giants would have little to show for their spending and farm system development.

Looks like some lean years ahead.

Maybe Sabean can retire and give someone a shot. Team wasn't exactly lacking in resources so the failures of the farm system are inexcusable.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by jason bourne » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Sabean had a few Giants teams in contention before 2010, but the knock on him was he didn't deliver. His high priced acquisitions were old and turned out to eat up salary cap. Then, he doesn't use Sabermetrics like other successful GMs. He's one of the old school guys who got vets who would help, but the other GMs got wise and started scooping up the few key vets. Thus, Sabean lost an edge. The other thing about Sabean is his farm system and draft picks have not turned out the way they were projected such as Gary Brown and the pitchers. The pitchers that were drafted and not make it were killers. If one does not use Sabermetrics, then they have to have great scouts. The Giants farm system is probably rated in the lower third. Not only that, he had some bad trades or he overpaid for players such as Carlos Beltran. Sabean doesn't trade vets for draft picks, so that's another area that makes it difficult to build a team quickly or use farm players to get key veteran players and pitchers.

Good acquisitions or draft picks: Rob Nenn, Jeff Kent, Jason Schmidt, JT snow, Buster Posey, Mad Bum, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Sergio Romo, Brandon Belt, Joe Panik, Brandon Crawford
Bad acquisitions: Barry Zito, Jeremy Accardo, AJ Pierzynski, Ryan Garko, Aaron Rowand, Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 pm

It's ridiculous to suggest the Giants are not using sabermetrics.
It's long been known that they do use sabermetrics as a part of their formula and that they are just not as public about their methods.

https://deadspin.com/5956642/the-giants-sure-use-a-lot-of-sabermetrics-for-an-anti-sabermetric-

You are in the minority in you are not using sabermetrics in 2017. The small minority.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#15 » by tocooks101 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:34 pm

This guy on the hot seat since this thread was created ROFL

Return to The General MLB Board