Trade Value: Wiggins, Jokic, Parker

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wiggins, Jokic, Parker
34%
Wiggins, Parker, Jokic
35%
Jokic, Wiggins, Parker
15%
Jokic, Parker, Wiggins
3%
Parker, Wiggins, Jokic
8%
Parker, Jokic, Wiggins
5%

Total votes: 207

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm

What is the order of their value?
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: Trade Value: Wiggins, Jokic, Parker 

Post#2 » by Woody Allen » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 pm

I chose Wiggins, Parker, Jokic and I believe this is by far the most accurate. Jokic is really a better player overall than Parker but really needs a good system to be impactful. Not a lot of teams could provide that, including current Denver Nuggets.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,674

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 pm

I like all three guys, but I've gotta go Wiggins/Parker/Jokic.

Wiggins is already really good. He's going to take off this season big time.

Parker could eventually win a scoring title.

Jokic is good, but I think the hype train is a little out of control. Not a knock on him, but people have gone over the moon for him.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,518

Post#4 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Woody Allen wrote:I chose Wiggins, Parker, Jokic and I believe this is by far the most accurate. Jokic is really a better player overall than Parker but really needs a good system to be impactful. Not a lot of teams could provide that, including current Denver Nuggets.

I've always liked Jokic, but how do you establish that he's really better overall than Parker, when Parker was recovering from a blown ACL last year? You don't have a good gauge on who he is as a player, yet. Still with the injury recovery, he averaged 19/6 post all-star break, and had become arguably the most electric finisher at the rim in the NBA with his combo of explosiveness, power, vertical leap, reflexiveness, craftiness, and ability to use both hands just as easily. Like Smitty stated, he has the tools to win a scoring title between the aforementioned scoring around the rim, shooting touch, and moves. He has very similar attributes as Bernard King did.

Wiggins was supposed to be that all-around player, but he hasn't been good on defense yet. He just has potential in the department, just like Parker. Doesn't really impact the game in other ways besides scoring, and he's not a go-to-guy really, more impacts the game in spots ala Kawhi. Parker is a creator for himself, and is underrated at doing it for his teammates. He does that semi-efficiently. But Monroe was taking touches away from him last year, somewhat Middleton, and understandably Giannis was the focal POINT. In the future, it should act like Giannis is 1A and Jabari 1B, operating much like OKC with Westbrook and Durant, but without 1 of the guys being as ball dominant as Westbrook was. They are unselfish players.

Really the only reason you may take Wiggins over Jabari is because of leeriness about the injury (mind you Jabari was the higher rated rookie last year before it), but Jokic hasn't quite reached that level as a prospect yet.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
caliban
NBA TnT Forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 3,231

Post#5 » by caliban » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Jokic, Wiggins, Parker.
20-21 apbrMetrics RMSE Team win projections winner. Three time RMSE runner up
RGM TnT board Team Win predictions winner
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,908

Post#6 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 pm

I voted Wiggins/Jokic/Parker but I would rather have Jokic over Wiggins and I think Parker plants himself ahead of Wiggins this year.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#7 » by giberish » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Jokic/Wiggins/Parker

Parker scored well late last year, but he was still extra-special bad at defense. That's at least a yellow-flag for long-term value. He'll have to improve a lot not to be a liability there.

Wiggins is probably the least interesting of the bunch, good for a young player but not on a track to be great.

Jokic was already a very good player, clearly better than Wiggins or Parker. His main limitation is that center is now the least valued position in the league.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,916

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Bernman wrote:I've always liked Jokic, but how do you establish that he's really better overall than Parker, when Parker was recovering from a blown ACL last year? You don't have a good gauge on who he is as a player, yet. Still with the injury recovery, he averaged 19/6 post all-star break, and had become arguably the most electric finisher at the rim in the NBA with his combo of explosiveness, power, vertical leap, reflexiveness, craftiness, and ability to use both hands just as easily.

Well, he was better overall because Parker was coming off an ACL tear and Jokic destroyed him in all impact stats. I don't think that needed a lot of explaining. Going forward is going to be a different question, and hopefully this season we will find out who makes the larger leap.

Wiggins put up 20.5/3.5/2.5 on 41% from 3 and 58 TS% post all-star break.
Wiggins also shot 65% at the rim this season, while being assisted on 55% of those shots.
Jabari shot 66% at the rim this season, while being assisted on 69% of those shots.
I would say they are neck-and-neck on finishing at the rim.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#9 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 pm

giberish wrote:Jokic/Wiggins/Parker

Parker scored well late last year, but he was still extra-special bad at defense. That's at least a yellow-flag for long-term value. He'll have to improve a lot not to be a liability there.

Wiggins is probably the least interesting of the bunch, good for a young player but not on a track to be great.

Jokic was already a very good player, clearly better than Wiggins or Parker. His main limitation is that center is now the least valued position in the league.

How can you say Jokic is clearly a better player? I just can't determine Jokic's full value until he plays heavy minutes night in and night out. Putting up the per 36 stats he did was really impressive but big men's efficiency also tend to slide more with the minutes they play and Jokic's minutes were still sort of scattered the second half. He put up a very similar rookie season on paper to Greg Monroe. Also, the center position isn't the least valued position, maybe a offensive only center is less valued over most. Ut I would say the pg position is the easiest to fill.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#10 » by KF10 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Wiggins, Jokic & Parker for me.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#11 » by YourBuddy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Wiggins then Jokic then Parker.

Team defense is something that can be learned and many young player really improve on as they get more experience. Wiggins man defense is fantastic. I have no doubt Thibs will get the most out of Wiggins team defense.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,575

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:03 pm

I'd say Wiggins clearly has the most value. He's proven much more than the other guys and is a superior defender.

I put Jokic second but I think these guys are pretty much on par could go either way depending on what is needed for that team.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#13 » by wablty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 pm

YourBuddy wrote:Wiggins then Jokic then Parker.

Team defense is something that can be learned and many young player really improve on as they get more experience. Wiggins man defense is fantastic. I have no doubt Thibs will get the most out of Wiggins team defense.

This is my problem with advanced stats for really young players on really young teams. Wiggins, when he's on his guy, is superb- His defense stats, however, look god **** awful because he and the rest of the Wolves were basically winging it from a team strategy standpoint on the defensive end unless KG was playing. They just didn't know what they were supposed to be doing or where to go and, while Mitchell certainly was trying, there's only so much you can absorb at once. Once they do get it, and that's something that you'd expect to come quickly over the next year or two with Thibs, those stats are going to flip.

In the end, the question comes down to which one of these 3 guys can you imagine being the Alpha on a good team? I can't imagine it ever being Jokic and I have a hard time picturing it for Parker. All Stars on a championship caliber team, sure, but not the guy that drives the bus. I can see the path where Wiggins gets there though. Not saying he will or its likely, but he's the one that seems to have the tools to get there.

(that being said I clicked the wrong button. I would go Wiggins, then Jokic and Parker without a strong preference between the two.)
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,518

Post#14 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:Well, he was better overall because Parker was coming off an ACL tear and Jokic destroyed him in all impact stats. I don't think that needed a lot of explaining. Going forward is going to be a different question, and hopefully this season we will find out who makes the larger leap.

But it was stated it as if it was some sort of established, relevant thing. It's not, considering Parker's dramatically different circumstances. Were you evaluating early comeback Paul George vs. other players in the league to determine their comparative trade values? Hey man, do you think we can get Otto Porter for Paul George? I don't know, Otto Porter looked a little better this season, so I don't think that would be fair for them.

Colbinii wrote:Wiggins put up 20.5/3.5/2.5 on 41% from 3 and 58 TS% post all-star break.

There isn't much significance for post all-star break #'s for Wiggins vs. pre all-star break. He didn't blow his ACL like Parker. That's why it matters so much for him comparatively. The further he gets away from the injury the less resistance he should have from his body. He's also a year less experienced than Wiggins. Last year was basically his rookie year.

Colbinii wrote:Wiggins also shot 65% at the rim this season, while being assisted on 55% of those shots.
Jabari shot 66% at the rim this season, while being assisted on 69% of those shots.
I would say they are neck-and-neck on finishing at the rim.

That stat is very misleading because it ignores how good Parker's vision is, how aggressive he is going to the rim, and how prolific he is at it. Parker was 7th in the NBA in dunks, in spite of starting the season late, having his minutes managed somewhat, and at least earlier on being hampered by the injury. The only players in the NBA with a higher dunk rate were a few centers. Wiggins was 20th, in spite of playing 18% more minutes, and not overcoming a major injury or any of note. Parker also has an uncanny to make adjustments in the air, like switching hands, on layups. He sees openings, breaks through them, and finishes, where Wiggins couldn't. Even on many of his supposed assisted baskets he's covering distances and making his way into tiny seams. I stand by what I said - the 2nd half of the season he was arguably the best player on slashes/cuts to the rim.

-----

Parker is also fine in man defense. He plays hard and is athletic. His problem is the same, that he gets lost in help.

I don't get this notion that Wiggins is more apt to be the alpha. The perception was the opposite coming into the NBA, and nothing afterward should have changed that.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,149

Post#15 » by GopherIt! » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 am

There isn't much significance for post all-star break #'s for Wiggins vs. pre all-star break

44.7/24/74.7 pre ASB
48/41/80 post ASB

Wiggins shot the ball much better post ASB, especially his three ball.
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#16 » by Chuck-Cheese » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:06 am

Wiggins and Jokic are close in value and Parker is a distant 3rd.
LikeOkafor
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#17 » by LikeOkafor » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 am

Is this a question about who we think will have the best career or who has the most trade value in the actual NBA? I think Wiggins --> Parker --> Jokic is the order in terms of what they would fetch in a trade, but that's not how I'd personally rank the players.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,215

Post#18 » by skones » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:52 am

GopherIt! wrote:
There isn't much significance for post all-star break #'s for Wiggins vs. pre all-star break

44.7/24/74.7 pre ASB
48/41/80 post ASB

Wiggins shot the ball much better post ASB, especially his three ball.

Which is great, but given the disparity, a substantial conclusion shouldn't be drawn from it. Wiggins is a streaky shooter from distance. He's not a 41% shooter from 3, and he's not a 24% shooter from three. Players don't generally make a midseason adjustment that takes them from an awful three point shooter to a great one, the reality of his 3 point shooting is probably closer to his season average than that 41% number.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,215

Post#19 » by skones » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:53 am

With that being said, I think the trade value answer is Wiggins/Jokic/Parker although it wouldn't surprise me if it's Wiggins/Parker/Jokic.

In a vacuum, I'd take Parker / Jokic / Wiggins personally.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#20 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:11 am

Wiggins by a fair margin, then Jokic and Parker . Wouldn't be surprised if Parker leaps ahead of both by mid season though.

Return to Trades and Transactions