ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil Jackson:"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle".

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Re: Phil Jackson:"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle". 

Post#121 » by CJackson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:13 pm

tapshotta wrote:
CJackson wrote:
tapshotta wrote:
interesting concept. imagine a Knicks cameo in something by Jodorowsky :D

El No Homo

Starring:

Dolan as Flatula, the fat priest with a ukelele

Noah as The Animal, a naked cowboy riding Moocow

Rose as Oozo, a deflated sex doll that thinks it is god

Jennings as Got This, the archer with no arms

Porzingis as The Tingis, a pale unicorn that must eat mother's home cooking to survive

Melo as Foodie, the digital athlete that will end all suffering but always has the runs because they didn't read the sign "don't drink the water"

Harthorne Wingo & Bill Pidto as The Couple, a pair of bickering stoners who claim their hypnotic powers are greater than Miss Cleo's

Phil as Trip, a giant hair follicle that dispenses blotter acid like candy and says teamwork is the road to God

Wow, that was actually pretty good off the cuff. Seriously.

You have talent as a writer. I always appreciate your insight, even when I don't agree.

KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#122 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 am

When will these old 90s heads realize that basketball is a game of improvisation and is forever evolving. Get over yourself and your old school way of thinking already. It's the same dumb ass wu tang is real music unlike drake or mj would average 45 today and how no one today could play back then. Enough already.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CJackson
General Manager

Re: Phil Jackson: 

Post#123 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:11 am

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:When will these old 90s heads realize that basketball is a game of improvisation and is forever evolving. Get over yourself and your old school way of thinking already. It's the same dumb ass wu tang is real music unlike drake or mj would average 45 today and how no one today could play back then. Enough already.

Seems the bias originated from posters saying today's players would slay players of the past, not "old heads" ranking on younger fans. So you've got your castigations backwards.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,112

Post#124 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 am

He's right. Players aren't skilled. They specialize in their area mostly. PG ( Cross-over, penetrate and kick, shoot 3s)

C( Rebound, block)

Players like Noah, Gasol are triangle gems due to their versatility and passing ability.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,980

Post#125 » by whocares1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:24 am

CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:I liked Max Kellerman's take. This is Phil's out when it comes to his commitment to the triangle. He's blaming "today's players" and saving face as well. And I'm sure the NY media will try to burn him for "abandoning his principles" or something stupid.

Phil the engaged and Phil the indifferent are just two of the masks Phil wears, but make no mistake about it Phil has always been among the vainest people in the game and every action or supposed inaction (look at the fans this off-season gloating about Phil the shadow warrior) are all calculations. Phil acting like he doesn't care about what people say is just one of Phil's tactics for influencing what people say about Phil Jackson.

Phil is calculating in most everything he does. That is probably a good thing when the one doing it is smarter than others. It gives them an advantage.

But initially Phil stumbled and he was not smarter. He righted himself. But he is calculating all the time and one of his adjustments was pulling back on his smugness about being able to field a team that plays his way, AKA the "right" way and how he would ether the rest of the NBA playing the game correctly.

So there is Phil the manager of the team and Phil the manager of his reputation. He made adjustments in regards to both. And him blaming the current NBA for lack of ball knowledge may be a way of explaining away his fixation on the triangle even if the assertion is fundamentally true anyway.

This entire post is completely true and it pains me to see that many don't agree. You were very critical of Phil before he made these moves, and while I have always supported and understood the direction that Phil wanted the Knicks to go in, I could definitely spot that his strategy has turned a complete 180 and many have turned a blind eye to it. Hornacek is not a Phil guy. DRose is not a triangle point guard. Phil has preached many times his lack of interest for a ball dominant guard, and yet he decided to trade a guy who committed 4 years to his vision(Lopez) for exactly that?

Phil was 1000% pressured by the media and the fanbase to build a team that was different from the one he had envisioned. It was a battle between his pride and his reputation, so he is trying to save his "reputation" while hedging his pride by saying today's players cannot play fundamental basketball. While he might be right to a certain extent, he is using this to shield the blow to his pride because he had to scrap his vision.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Phil Jackson:"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle". 

Post#126 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:28 am

CJackson wrote:
KNIXFAN_83 wrote:When will these old 90s heads realize that basketball is a game of improvisation and is forever evolving. Get over yourself and your old school way of thinking already. It's the same dumb ass wu tang is real music unlike drake or mj would average 45 today and how no one today could play back then. Enough already.

Seems the bias originated from posters saying today's players would slay players of the past, not "old heads" ranking on younger fans. So you've got your castigations backwards.

Today's players would slay players from the past. People need to get over it. You think Derek Harper could guard Westbrook? How about Rik Smits having to guard Cousins. This notion that players back then are equivalent to players now is pathetic. I saw all of them play and nothing scares me like the players now. These guys are devistating shooters, freak athletes, and exceptional ball handlers and passers now. At all positions. Lebron would average 45 to 50 points if he played in the 80s or 90s. Anyone who thinks otherwise fall into two categories. A hater or they don't know chit about basketball it's that simple.

CJackson
General Manager

Post#127 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:32 am

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Today's players would slay players from the past. People need to get over it. You think Derek Harper could guard Westbrook? How about Rik Smits having to guard Cousins. This notion that players back then are equivalent to players now is pathetic. I saw all of them play and nothing scares me like the players now. These guys are devistating shooters, freak athletes, and exceptional ball handlers and passers now. At all positions. Lebron would average 45 to 50 points if he played in the 80s or 90s. Anyone who thinks others fall into two categories. A hater or they don't know chit about basketball it's that simple.

You come on the board and tell people to stop tripping on others? You just laid down a fuselage of attitude. That was snotty as hell.

Why would anybody waste any time to debate with you? Oh that's right, you don't want to debate anyone because you're smart, they're stupid and those who don't see it your way should STFU.

Got it
CJackson
General Manager

Post#128 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:40 am

whocares1 wrote:
CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:I liked Max Kellerman's take. This is Phil's out when it comes to his commitment to the triangle. He's blaming "today's players" and saving face as well. And I'm sure the NY media will try to burn him for "abandoning his principles" or something stupid.

Phil the engaged and Phil the indifferent are just two of the masks Phil wears, but make no mistake about it Phil has always been among the vainest people in the game and every action or supposed inaction (look at the fans this off-season gloating about Phil the shadow warrior) are all calculations. Phil acting like he doesn't care about what people say is just one of Phil's tactics for influencing what people say about Phil Jackson.

Phil is calculating in most everything he does. That is probably a good thing when the one doing it is smarter than others. It gives them an advantage.

But initially Phil stumbled and he was not smarter. He righted himself. But he is calculating all the time and one of his adjustments was pulling back on his smugness about being able to field a team that plays his way, AKA the "right" way and how he would ether the rest of the NBA playing the game correctly.

So there is Phil the manager of the team and Phil the manager of his reputation. He made adjustments in regards to both. And him blaming the current NBA for lack of ball knowledge may be a way of explaining away his fixation on the triangle even if the assertion is fundamentally true anyway.

This entire post is completely true and it pains me to see that many don't agree. You were very critical of Phil before he made these moves, and while I have always supported and understood the direction that Phil wanted the Knicks to go in, I could definitely spot that his strategy has turned a complete 180 and many have turned a blind eye to it. Hornacek is not a Phil guy. DRose is not a triangle point guard. Phil has preached many times his lack of interest for a ball dominant guard, and yet he decided to trade a guy who committed 4 years to his vision(Lopez) for exactly that?

Phil was 1000% pressured by the media and the fanbase to build a team that was different from the one he had envisioned. It was a battle between his pride and his reputation, so he is trying to save his "reputation" while hedging his pride by saying today's players cannot play fundamental basketball. While he might be right to a certain extent, he is using this to shield the blow to his pride because he had to scrap his vision.

That's it. He changed gears.

The other thing that entails is he might have actually been able to lay a better foundation in the first two years to complement the nice drafting of KP if he had handled his early trades better. There may have been a window when Shump would have a key component in landing Lowry and Tyson was flat out dumped.

So Phil pretty much stunk up the joint in his first year when you add in Fisher and the no-trade clause.

So whatever chances he had to build completely organically was a missed opportunity.

But that's OK. He had to change because his mind was full of doodoo that first year and he really thought today's players would all play the triangle and sing kumbayah and that just ain't so.

By that measure this off-season was a pretty stunning reversal and a very good recovery for Phil.

I'm actually fairly optimistic, because at the very least I expect the playoffs and becoming a truly viable destination next off-season. And I believe we have some younger talent on the team that is going to pan out. So Phil did pretty well for a guy who was indeed clueless when he started out.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#129 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:36 pm

CJackson wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

The other thing that entails is he might have actually been able to lay a better foundation in the first two years to complement the nice drafting of KP if he had handled his early trades better. There may have been a window when Shump would have a key component in landing Lowry and Tyson was flat out dumped.

So Phil pretty much stunk up the joint in his first year when you add in Fisher and the no-trade clause.

So whatever chances he had to build completely organically was a missed opportunity.

But that's OK. He had to change because his mind was full of doodoo that first year and he really thought today's players would all play the triangle and sing kumbayah and that just ain't so.

By that measure this off-season was a pretty stunning reversal and a very good recovery for Phil.

I'm actually fairly optimistic, because at the very least I expect the playoffs and becoming a truly viable destination next off-season. And I believe we have some younger talent on the team that is going to pan out. So Phil did pretty well for a guy who was indeed clueless when he started out.

You guys just don't go thinking the fans or media had anything to do with it. They didn't. They never do. Phil's change in philosophy has everything to do with the results up to this point, which haven't been good. I give him credit. And what also sets him apart from past Knick bosses is that he hasn't destroyed the future with any of his moves, good or bad. He has been fixing some fundamental problems with the Knicks. Outside of Melo, and only because of his NTC, none of the players Phil has brought in has been unreadable. And we finally have all of our picks going forward. Plus cap space.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#130 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:42 pm

KNIXFAN_83 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Today's players would slay players from the past. People need to get over it. You think Derek Harper could guard Westbrook? How about Rik Smits having to guard Cousins. This notion that players back then are equivalent to players now is pathetic. I saw all of them play and nothing scares me like the players now. These guys are devistating shooters, freak athletes, and exceptional ball handlers and passers now. At all positions. Lebron would average 45 to 50 points if he played in the 80s or 90s. Anyone who thinks otherwise fall into two categories. A hater or they don't know chit about basketball it's that simple.

Not with the 80s & 90s rules. All that flopping & crying LeBron, Wade, Paul, etc do would be out of the window. One elbow from Karl Malone would slow LeBron down too. No doubt these guys would still be great, and among the greatest, but it wouldn't be the picnic you think. I happen to think great players would be great in any era too under the same modern training techniques & nutritional regimen. Players from the past would be great today.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,462
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#131 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:36 pm

CJackson wrote:

Saying castigations backwards wins any argument. Haha.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

CJackson
General Manager

Post#132 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:41 pm

BKlutch wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Sniotagitsac HctulkB

(backwards you sound like a Lovecraft monster)
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#133 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:45 pm

CJackson wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Yes, the rookie President became a veteran after about a year's worth of experience.

Was he a stupid guy when he started? Not at all. He was a very skillful, talented rookie. He just needed to learn about the team, the players, and the league. He tried some things that absolutely didn't work. Then he still tried to push the triangle. Now we see he's issued a statement that players don't have triangle-specific skills. I agree.

It's like my son was taught computers instead of learning cursive writing. He can barely read cursive, but he has already built several computers from scratch. Different skills. Today's players are physically better, and it's not even close. They really don't know all the things about playing together that the older guys used to know. The championship Knicks teams were a model of team play. Only a few teams today really demonstrate team system play. Those are our best teams: SA, GS, etc. Yes, Cleveland won with the best player and an amount of system play. But without Lebron, teams don't win without more team play.

This year's Knicks were created to play system basketball. They have a coach who is a great choice to help them develop team chemistry. We may incorporate triangle plays, and we may run a lot of pick and roll, fast breaks, etc. It's not that our players couldn't learn triangle skills. They just haven't been taught them because there's more emphasis on individual skill building and less on team-building skills. Phil has acknowledged that he can't go shopping for triangle players and find enough good ones. So this statement shows why he switched gears. Great job for an "old guy."

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

CJackson
General Manager

Post#134 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:47 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

You guys just don't go thinking the fans or media had anything to do with it. They didn't. They never do. Phil's change in philosophy has everything to do with the results up to this point, which haven't been good. I give him credit. And what also sets him apart from past Knick bosses is that he hasn't destroyed the future with any of his moves, good or bad. He has been fixing some fundamental problems with the Knicks. Outside of Melo, and only because of his NTC, none of the players Phil has brought in has been unreadable. And we finally have all of our picks going forward. Plus cap space.

If we did will our milk privileges be revoked?

Phil is all about legacy so however you want to frame it in the end he is all about what the fans think.

Yes, aside from the NTC, he didn't sabotage the franchise with leviathan contracts. The Rolo contract was a good example of being able to move players if so desired.

The NTC prevented a full rebuild since Melo would have netted something significant, so Phil pretty much guaranteed no full rebuild would ever happen from the very start.

Again, I'll take what has happened as a net positive so I'm not going to be dwelling on the past now other than tracking down Phil to get back my sacred Peyote hat from him.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#135 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:50 pm

CJackson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Sniotagitsac HctulkB

Chthulu says: spɹɐʍʞɔɐq suoᴉʇɐƃᴉʇsɐɔ

CJackson
General Manager

Post#136 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:54 pm

BKlutch wrote:
CJackson wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Yes, the rookie President became a veteran after about a year's worth of experience.

Was he a stupid guy when he started? Not at all. He was a very skillful, talented rookie. He just needed to learn about the team, the players, and the league. He tried some things that absolutely didn't work. Then he still tried to push the triangle. Now we see he's issued a statement that players don't have triangle-specific skills. I agree.

It's like my son was taught computers instead of learning cursive writing. He can barely read cursive, but he has already built several computers from scratch. Different skills. Today's players are physically better, and it's not even close. They really don't know all the things about playing together that the older guys used to know. The championship Knicks teams were a model of team play. Only a few teams today really demonstrate team system play. Those are our best teams: SA, GS, etc. Yes, Cleveland won with the best player and an amount of system play. But without Lebron, teams don't win without more team play.

This year's Knicks were created to play system basketball. They have a coach who is a great choice to help them develop team chemistry. We may incorporate triangle plays, and we may run a lot of pick and roll, fast breaks, etc. It's not that our players couldn't learn triangle skills. They just haven't been taught them because there's more emphasis on individual skill building and less on team-building skills. Phil has acknowledged that he can't go shopping for triangle players and find enough good ones. So this statement shows why he switched gears. Great job for an "old guy."

I will agree he was always intelligent, but he was not a smart rookie. He got taken by a ride by other GMs early and his hubris negated his intelligence.

Fisher is Exhibit A of that. I think Phil actually showed insecurity by concentrating so much on working with people he already knew.

He had/has his biases and wanting to build a triangular team. Now he will get some modified version of it, but he had to wait for someone like Noah because Lopez was not that guy.

Anyway, we're all fundamentally agreeing Phil adjusted and those adjustments please most of us fairly well.

As one who has been championship or bust-minded I do admit to some fatigue over not having a competitive or entertaining team to watch. So if they do climb back into contention in the future we do at least have some fun ball ahead of us and the franchise and the fans needed that pretty badly. So it is definitely a major uptick for now.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#137 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm

BKlutch wrote:
CJackson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Saying castigations backwards wins any argument. Haha.

Sniotagitsac HctulkB

Chthulu says: spɹɐʍʞɔɐq suoᴉʇɐƃᴉʇsɐɔ

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#138 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm

CJackson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
CJackson wrote:

I will agree he was always intelligent, but he was not a smart rookie. He got taken by a ride by other GMs early and his hubris negated his intelligence.

Fisher is Exhibit A of that. I think Phil actually showed insecurity by concentrating so much on working with people he already knew.

He had/has his biases and wanting to build a triangular team. Now he will get some modified version of it, but he had to wait for someone like Noah because Lopez was not that guy.

Anyway, we're all fundamentally agreeing Phil adjusted and those adjustments please most of us fairly well.

As one who has been championship or bust-minded I do admit to some fatigue over not having a competitive or entertaining team to watch. So if they do climb back into contention in the future we do at least have some fun ball ahead of us and the franchise and the fans needed that pretty badly. So it is definitely a major uptick for now.

The bolded part is something I've been saying here and there for a while. I agree and hope that in the future we continue to make improvements.

tapshotta
Junior
And1: 169

Post#139 » by tapshotta » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:09 pm

CJackson wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
CJackson wrote:

If we did will our milk privileges be revoked?

Phil is all about legacy so however you want to frame it in the end he is all about what the fans think.

Yes, aside from the NTC, he didn't sabotage the franchise with leviathan contracts. The Rolo contract was a good example of being able to move players if so desired.

The NTC prevented a full rebuild since Melo would have netted something significant, so Phil pretty much guaranteed no full rebuild would ever happen from the very start.

Again, I'll take what has happened as a net positive so I'm not going to be dwelling on the past now other than tracking down Phil to get back my sacred Peyote hat from him.

You sir are like a sports shaman. A wizard perhaps. Complete mastery of the tonal and nagual. A toltec warrior. :lol:

Jokes. I want no parts of nayarlat-hotep. :o
hominy ad sugar
CJackson
General Manager

Post#140 » by CJackson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:25 pm

tapshotta wrote:You sir are like a sports shaman. A wizard perhaps. Complete mastery of the tonal and nagual. A toltec warrior. :lol:

Return to New York Knicks