Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,709

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#141 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Doncic played a helluva game, and even though he did not really score in the last two minutes and overtime, his gravity was incredible. I heard the coach say during one of the timeouts, "Doncic doesn't shoot". They flat-out did everything to take the ball out of the kid's hands in crunch time, and as a result, the other four players had incredible space to work with. Roddy B also had a very good game, I bet he could still play in the NBA. And yeah, my fellow countryman Hanga is a Spurs next year, you can bet on it. He is a top 10 player in Europe this year, and will be an incredible move by the Spurs this summer. They can get him for like 3-4 million bucks. Who do you get for that kind of money in the NBA these days? And they will get a ball handler and an absolutely elite defender for that money.
narcolepsy
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#142 » by narcolepsy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:34 pm

woah what a game, llull had a pretty bad game, but came in clutch in last minutes.
I envy scouts, they get to watch really entertaining basketball this weekend

Doncic 23 points (9/12), 6 rebounds, 3 assists
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,837

Post#143 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Hanga and Doncic with big games. 2 of my favorite Euroleague players.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#144 » by XTraderXL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Today we saw that Doncic has absolutely no problems with athletic players. In the first half he looked like the fastest player on the floor, he had Hanga on him on defense and had no trouble getting to the rim. Second half wasnt as good because 90% of offense went through Llull who had a bad game until the last 7 min when he scored majority of Reals points. Luka had the highest VAL or 26 and +12 while on the floor which is the highest once again. This game should have been won by Real during regular time but Baskonia started hitting contested threes, seemed like they can miss. I think this was the toughest game for Real this weekend and tomorrow will be easier for them and win the tournament. If they win, MVP award really depends on how Randolph, Llull and Doncic play tomorrow. Whoever has the best game wins the award.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#145 » by jrob23 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 pm

XTraderXL wrote:Today we saw that Doncic has absolutely no problems with athletic players. In the first half he looked like the fastest player on the floor, he had Hanga on him on defense and had no trouble getting to the rim. Second half wasnt as good because 90% of offense went through Llull who had a bad game until the last 7 min when he scored majority of Reals points. Luka had the highest VAL or 26 and +12 while on the floor which is the highest once again. This game should have been won by Real during regular time but Baskonia started hitting contested threes, seemed like they can miss. I think this was the toughest game for Real this weekend and tomorrow will be easier for them and win the tournament. If they win, MVP award really depends on how Randolph, Llull and Doncic play tomorrow. Whoever has the best game wins the award.

no today..you found out he has no problems with athletic for Euroleague players. This, again, is not indicative of the NBA where even the worst athletes player for player are more athletic than Euros. It's this exact reason why there's so much debate about Doncic's draft prospects. You see him doing this against guys you perceive to be athletic and believe it'll translate...and I and others see it and aren't impressed because the athletes aren't nearly on the level of the NBA and it's not translatable.

He is going to have to transform his body big time if he wants to stay a SF in the NBA..or...he'll need to grow another 2 inches and keep present athleticism/skill level. Both things have a real potential for happening which is why he imo is a top 10 prospect in the 2018 draft. It just seems like you guys feel he's already there and a #1 pick because of it. Even if he did either grow 2 inches or get in phenomenal shape he isn't necessarily a lock for top 3 let alone #1. Believe me, I'm a fan, but because he's young and not done growing it's very difficult to project him. By this time next year it'll be more realistic and for all I know I might be saying he's Bird 2.0. I'm just not going to do it now when he's barely 6'7" as his athleticism at that height is not impressive for NBA standards.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#146 » by XTraderXL » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:21 pm

jrob23 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Today we saw that Doncic has absolutely no problems with athletic players. In the first half he looked like the fastest player on the floor, he had Hanga on him on defense and had no trouble getting to the rim. Second half wasnt as good because 90% of offense went through Llull who had a bad game until the last 7 min when he scored majority of Reals points. Luka had the highest VAL or 26 and +12 while on the floor which is the highest once again. This game should have been won by Real during regular time but Baskonia started hitting contested threes, seemed like they can miss. I think this was the toughest game for Real this weekend and tomorrow will be easier for them and win the tournament. If they win, MVP award really depends on how Randolph, Llull and Doncic play tomorrow. Whoever has the best game wins the award.

no today..you found out he has no problems with athletic for Euroleague players. This, again, is not indicative of the NBA where even the worst athletes player for player are more athletic than Euros. It's this exact reason why there's so much debate about Doncic's draft prospects. You see him doing this against guys you perceive to be athletic and believe it'll translate...and I and others see it and aren't impressed because the athletes aren't nearly on the level of the NBA and it's not translatable.

He is going to have to transform his body big time if he wants to stay a SF in the NBA..or...he'll need to grow another 2 inches and keep present athleticism/skill level. Both things have a real potential for happening which is why he imo is a top 10 prospect in the 2018 draft. It just seems like you guys feel he's already there and a #1 pick because of it. Even if he did either grow 2 inches or get in phenomenal shape he isn't necessarily a lock for top 3 let alone #1. Believe me, I'm a fan, but because he's young and not done growing it's very difficult to project him. By this time next year it'll be more realistic and for all I know I might be saying he's Bird 2.0. I'm just not going to do it now when he's barely 6'7" as his athleticism at that height is not impressive for NBA standards.

If you think Hanga is not athletic, then you really dont know what you are talking about. He is a very good athlete even for NBA standards and Doncic had absolutely no problems with him both on offense and defense.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#147 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:31 pm

XTraderXL wrote:If you think Hanga is not athletic, then you really dont know what you are talking about. He is a very good athlete even for NBA standards and Doncic had absolutely no problems with him both on offense and defense.

Thats the thing, you are listing one guy on one team. The NBA rosters 1-12 are littered with guys as athletic if not more. I know the Euros will get on me but I don't think a single Euro roster is as athletic/long as the average UK or Arizona team just more physical.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#148 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm

jrob23 wrote:

Hanga is NBA level athlete and defender. If he signed with Spurs today, he would probably be their 3 most athletic player only behind Kawhi and Simmons. The assumption that every NBA player is more athletic than non NBA player just because, is simply asinine.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,574

Post#149 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm

This thread is becoming really funny. Whatever Doncic does (scores, rebounds, assists) against whoever he does it, that doesn't count, because he doesn't do it against Nba players. :banghead: :lol:
narcolepsy
Sophomore

Post#150 » by narcolepsy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Can we stop pretending everyone in US is elite athlete. And some of you are highlighting athleticism like any NBA/NCAA player in Europe would just dunk on everyone, grab every rebound, and would be a lockdown defender just because. That's just not the case, since Luka is playing with and against ex NBA and NCAA players, which are in their prime, and he's playing better than most of them. Also simply having elite physical tools doesnt mean a player wont be completely useless on both ends of the floor, you need to have basketball skills as well. I don't want this thread to get into Euroleague vs NBA vs NCAA bashing again, but for a fact, most of NCAA players aren't and never will be good enough to play in NBA or Euroleague, wheather they are better athletes than Luka or not.

He is 17 and he just dropped 23 points against team full of former NBA players, that should give us some indication that at this moment he's not as athletically challenged like some of you are implying. I'm certain over the next few year's he'll get faster and stronger.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#151 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:28 pm

reanimator wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:If you think Hanga is not athletic, then you really dont know what you are talking about. He is a very good athlete even for NBA standards and Doncic had absolutely no problems with him both on offense and defense.

Thats the thing, you are listing one guy on one team. The NBA rosters 1-12 are littered with guys as athletic if not more. I know the Euros will get on me but I don't think a single Euro roster is as athletic/long as the average UK or Arizona team just more physical.

You seriously underrating Europe's athletes. Chase Budinger was a monster on Arizona team, he doesnt stand out at all on this Baskonia team, team Doncic played today.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#152 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Hanga would be an elite NBA athlete, and will be one next year. He has a combination of size, foot speed and hops that would probably put him amongst the top 10 most athletic perimeter players in the NBA. He is 6'7 and has PG speed, extremely fluid too. And he has a chance to be DPOY this year in the ACB, if not the Euroleague too. Definitely first team all-defense, if they have that. Anyway, Doncic once again showed that extremely high skill level trumps a defender's athleticism. The kid is a phenom, and there is no way he is not a top 3 pick next year, if he is healthy.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#153 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:31 pm

"team full of former NBA players"

so much dishonesty in this thread especially when those "former NBA players" were defensive sieves and washed out of the league in a hurry. Its amazing some can't conceded the huge gape in athleticism/length/speed between the NBA and Euroleague in terms of DEPTH of high end athletes and the top tier athletes which doesn't "minimize" Doncic's production just contextualizing it when asking what will and won't translate.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#154 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Hanga would be an elite NBA athlete, and will be one next year. He has a combination of size, foot speed and hops that would probably put him amongst the top 10 most athletic perimeter players in the NBA. He is 6'7 and has PG speed, extremely fluid too.

Like how is this suppose to be taken seriously?
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#155 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 pm

reanimator wrote:Like how is this suppose to be taken seriously?

I've seen him many times, and I'm an NBA junkie, so I think it's a pretty realistic stance. I guess he could be top 20 among perimeter players, but since he has elite size and length, I rate his athleticism higher, because 6'7 guys aren't usually that quick and agile. And why would you have an opinion if you never saw him play?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#156 » by UcanUwill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Hanga's athleticism and defense definitely stands out. He is far more athletic than his teammate Budinger, who was in NBA dunk contest. His biggest weakness is very inconsistent jumper.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be in the running for Euroleague DPOY, the runners for EL DPOY currently are : Charles Jenkins, Ekpe Udoh, Kyle Hines, Kostas Papanikolaou, Tyler Honeycutt, Khem Birch and Branko Lazic.

Anyway, Hanga is probably the best chase down blocker in Europe,
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,574

Post#157 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:

I've seen him many times, and I'm an NBA junkie, so I think it's a pretty realistic stance. I guess he could be top 20 among perimeter players, but since he has elite size and length, I rate his athleticism higher, because 6'7 guys aren't usually that quick and agile. And why would you have an opinion if you never saw him play?

that's really not the problem in this thread, he and some others haven't seen Doncic play either. ;)
reanimator
Analyst

Post#158 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:

How do you know who I've seen play? Hanga is clearly not a "top 10 perimeter athlete" in the NBA. Not close.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#159 » by reanimator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:05 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
reanimator wrote:

You seriously underrating Europe's athletes. Chase Budinger was a monster on Arizona team, he doesnt stand out at all on this Baskonia team, team Doncic played today.

Chase Budinger was a good leaper and washed out of the league. About it.
narcolepsy
Sophomore

Post#160 » by narcolepsy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Bob8 wrote:This thread is becoming really funny. Whatever Doncic does (scores, rebounds, assists) against whoever he does it, that doesn't count, because he doesn't do it against Nba players. :banghead: :lol:

That appears to be the case. He's playing against best competiton he can at his age (which is also the best competition outside of NBA), but we cant really be too sure.

reanimator wrote:"team full of former NBA players"

so much dishonesty in this thread especially when those "former NBA players" were defensive sieves and washed out of the league in a hurry. Its amazing some can't conceded the huge gape in athleticism/length/speed between the NBA and Euroleague in terms of DEPTH of high end athletes and the top tier athletes which doesn't "minimize" Doncic's production just contextualizing it when asking what will and won't translate.

What's dishonest about saying they are former NBA players when thats LITERALLY what they are? Few of them even had pretty long NBA careers. It's not like I claimed they were stars in the NBA, it just wouldnt make sense for them to go play anywhere else since contracts in NBA bring **** of money.
Stop putting NBA players on the pedistal, there are as many bad defenders as there are good.

Return to NBA Draft