1991 Redskins or 1985 Bears, who wins?

FullForceMDs
Junior
And1: 55

1991 Redskins or 1985 Bears, who wins? 

Post#1 » by FullForceMDs » Sat Apr 8, 2017 3:37 pm

On neutral field, SuperBowl style, who wins? Discuss.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Re: 1991 Redskins or 1985 Bears, who wins? 

Post#2 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 pm

To get an idea, I looked at 1987 when the Redskins also won the Super Bowl with a somewhat similar offense and the Bears were still an elite defense. Both these teams were half assed versions of the '85 and '91 versions, but they did indeed meet in the playoffs in '87. It didn't indicate that one team's style had a distinct advantage over the other, but the Redskins obviously won that matchup by a score of 21-17. A close win was what my gut told me when I first read this question. Both teams were historically great one year wonder teams, even though you could argue that Gibbs was a dynasty in and of himself. So I take the Redskins by a slim margin, probably a last second FG. Joe Gibbs vs. Mike Ditka is what I think makes the difference. This was a great question, btw.
FullForceMDs
Junior
And1: 55

Post#3 » by FullForceMDs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:50 am

RavenMad31 wrote:To get an idea, I looked at 1987 when the Redskins also won the Super Bowl with a somewhat similar offense and the Bears were still an elite defense. Both these teams were half assed versions of the '85 and '91 versions, but they did indeed meet in the playoffs in '87. It didn't indicate that one team's style had a distinct advantage over the other, but the Redskins obviously won that matchup by a score of 21-17. A close win was what my gut told me when I first read this question. Both teams were historically great one year wonder teams, even though you could argue that Gibbs was a dynasty in and of himself. So I take the Redskins by a slim margin, probably a last second FG. Joe Gibbs vs. Mike Ditka is what I think makes the difference. This was a great question, btw.

That was a great & well thought out analysis on your part, even if you don't agree with it, it made a lot of sense to approach it from that perspective.
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#4 » by RavenMad31 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 am

FullForceMDs wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:To get an idea, I looked at 1987 when the Redskins also won the Super Bowl with a somewhat similar offense and the Bears were still an elite defense. Both these teams were half assed versions of the '85 and '91 versions, but they did indeed meet in the playoffs in '87. It didn't indicate that one team's style had a distinct advantage over the other, but the Redskins obviously won that matchup by a score of 21-17. A close win was what my gut told me when I first read this question. Both teams were historically great one year wonder teams, even though you could argue that Gibbs was a dynasty in and of himself. So I take the Redskins by a slim margin, probably a last second FG. Joe Gibbs vs. Mike Ditka is what I think makes the difference. This was a great question, btw.

That was a great & well thought out analysis on your part, even if you don't agree with it, it made a lot of sense to approach it from that perspective.

Mark Rypien vs. that defense though. I guess that's where I have to trust Gibbs to be the better coach.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat May 6, 2017 4:45 pm

The one edge I give to the Bears... and it's a significant one. Walter Payton.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#6 » by RavenMad31 » Sun May 7, 2017 12:59 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:

The one edge I give to the Bears... and it's a significant one. Walter Payton.

I think he had a strong season in 1985, but that was back end of his career Walter Payton. I still say Gibbs vs ditka gets the skins over the top.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#7 » by NZB2323 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Ditka wasn't the best coach on the Bears. Buddy Ryan was. But I guess a team in 1991 would know how to gameplan for a defense from 1985.

In 87 the Bears didn't have Buddy Ryan, and it was Walter Payton's last year.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,264

Post#8 » by prolific passer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:28 am

Who gets Wilber Marshall?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm

I always hear that the '85 Bears are one of the greatest defenses of all-time, maybe the greatest. They had two shutouts in the playoffs and gave up 10 points total. I haven't heard the '91 Redskins discussed as an all-time team, although they appear to have been pretty dominant. I'd favor the Bears, but who knows.

Return to Player Comparisons