ImageImageImageImage

trading dez bryant?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

trading dez bryant? 

Post#1 » by shagadelic45 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:32 pm

dallas was 5-1 ithout dez and romo to start the year last year.....i know dez is a top 10 player, but what if Tennessee offered their 2 first rounders ( #5 and #18)for dez? a deal worth making?

the titans are close to making the jump but need a #1 receiver in the worst way.....
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: trading dez bryant? 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Ive been all for trading Dez for 3 years. I know he is a beast and physical presence, but doesn't create seperation and is not at all disiplined in route running. While we are young and about to get younger when we draft our defensive players this year (as I hope and pray), now is the perfect time imho. Nevertheless I believe Mr. B and/or Otis mentioned something like a 17m cap hit or something along those lines about 6 weeks ago or I would be all in on getting rid of Dez.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:dallas was 5-1 ithout dez and romo to start the year last year.....i know dez is a top 10 player, but what if Tennessee offered their 2 first rounders ( #5 and #18)for dez? a deal worth making?

the titans are close to making the jump but need a #1 receiver in the worst way.....

I personally would do it in a heartbeat. that would give us 3 first round draft choices for our defense !!!!!!!!!!! If only I was the Gm of the Cowboys and the Titans came to me with that offer. Oh boy. I wouldn't even talk about it with my staff. It would be a done deal within 5 minutes after I get off the phone. All in with that offer and go to bed tonight with a huge smile on my face. :D :nod: :pray:
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#4 » by shagadelic45 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

overthecap shows by trading dez, dallas would save $5 million (but have $12 million in dead money)
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:overthecap shows by trading dez, dallas would save $5 million (but have $12 million in dead money)

That's the only reason to keep Dez for another year, otherwise I would be all over that trade without thinking about and never turn back.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#6 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm

I love having Dez on this team. Dude is a beast and has way more good plays than bad plays. He's also a huge positive influence in the locker room during the off season.

With all that said, I would drive Dez to Tennessee myself if they offered the 5th and 18th pick for Dez. Having three 1st round picks would allow the Cowboys to completely rebuild their defense in 1 year. Would also allow them to get pretty much any player they wanted in this draft.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,674

Post#7 » by Romeiro Celtic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 am

This last Bryant's touchdown againt the Cardinals actually has my opinion about trading him and the answer is Hell No.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:24 am

Mr B wrote:I love having Dez on this team. Dude is a beast and has way more good plays than bad plays. He's also a huge positive influence in the locker room during the off season.

With all that said, I would drive Dez to Tennessee myself if they offered the 5th and 18th pick for Dez. Having three 1st round picks would allow the Cowboys to completely rebuild their defense in 1 year. Would also allow them to get pretty much any player they wanted in this draft.

In the mean time I am comfortable going with Brice Butler.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 pm

romeiroceltic wrote:This last Bryant's touchdown againt the Cardinals actually has my opinion about trading him and the answer is Hell No.

It was an awesome TD no doubt but he still needs to do more. He's being paid top 5 money and they are not getting too 5 production. Seriously when was the last time he posted back to back 100 yard games? Hell when is the last time he had even one 100 yard game, like 3 years ago?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I love having Dez on this team. Dude is a beast and has way more good plays than bad plays. He's also a huge positive influence in the locker room during the off season.

Butler is still way too inconsistent. Looks the part and shows flashes but will usually disappear for several weeks after having a good game.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#11 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Butler is still way too inconsistent. Looks the part and shows flashes but will usually disappear for several weeks after having a good game.

He reminds me so much of Golden Richards that it isn't remotely funny. Will go out there and make amazing catches that leave you thinking "he's legit"... then go out and drop easy ones or vanish completely. Frustrating.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Time for some clutch guys that can do the California quake !
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd settle for "Thrill" Hill...
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#14 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Until the 2 passes to Butler last game, I wasn't certain that Dak was the type of QB that would benefit from a deep threat. Considering that Dak was on the run scrambling for those passes, I'm still not certain.

He's also doing a nice job of finding Terrance Williams.

Dez is a hungry, hungry player and still a physical beast. See his touchdown last week. I think it was against the Giants, Dak just simply missed fired on two passes that would have been red zone TDs to Dez. Not Dez's fault but it was on the pass.

IMO, what we need is better play calling and creativity with the WRs routes to help Dak out. Rams would be a good team to watch with Sammy Watkins (if he plays; hopefully he doesn't against our banged-up secondary). Atlanta with Jones is another good example.

We need to have better movement. Rams have a nice double slant route that essentially turns into a legal pick for the inside slant route.

Beasley is the passing third down target because he's ability adds movement to any route. Beasley's only catch last game was a first down on a third down conversion. Initially Cole wasn't on the field. I was screaming at the TV to get Cole on the field. Cowboys called a timeout and Cole was on the field when play returned for the first down.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Mr B
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:49 pm

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:Until the 2 passes to Butler last game, I wasn't certain that Dak was the type of QB that would benefit from a deep threat. Considering that Dak was on the run scrambling for those passes, I'm still not certain.

He's also doing a nice job of finding Terrance Williams.

Dez is a hungry, hungry player and still a physical beast. See his touchdown last week. I think it was against the Giants, Dak just simply missed fired on two passes that would have been red zone TDs to Dez. Not Dez's fault but it was on the pass.

IMO, what we need is better play calling and creativity with the WRs routes to help Dak out. Rams would be a good team to watch with Sammy Watkins (if he plays; hopefully he doesn't against our banged-up secondary). Atlanta with Jones is another good example.

We need to have better movement. Rams have a nice double slant route that essentially turns into a legal pick for the inside slant route.

Beasley is the passing third down target because he's ability adds movement to any route. Beasley's only catch last game was a first down on a third down conversion. Initially Cole wasn't on the field. I was screaming at the TV to get Cole on the field. Cowboys called a timeout and Cole was on the field when play returned for the first down.

I still would like to see them get both Beasley and Switzer into the at the same time.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#16 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:01 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:In the mean time I am comfortable going with Brice Butler.

He reminds me so much of Golden Richards that it isn't remotely funny. Will go out there and make amazing catches that leave you thinking "he's legit"... then go out and drop easy ones or vanish completely. Frustrating.

And with the nice contract and all the money we have invested in Dez, When was the last time he had 100 yards receiving in a game? Still rather go with Butler.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:37 pm

First order of business after this year, trade Dez for some defense.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Do you still feel the same way today?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Do you still feel the same way today?

I’m not real sure to be honest.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 pm

I think its time to close out this thread. There is no point in even considering trading Dez now. 3 years ago I said we should have would have made out like a bandit. Now, I don't think we can get crap for him. Not sure what the best direction is going forward. have to think about it some more. I'm mean, you guys see anyone out there that would want Dez under his current contract?

Return to Dallas Cowboys