ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors had Greater Focus on Conditioning this past Off-Season

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Raptors had Greater Focus on Conditioning this past Off-Season 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 pm

http://www.cp24.com/sports/greater-focus-on-off-season-conditioning-has-lowry-co-in-top-form-1.3611160

McKechnie, a Scot who was hired by Toronto in 2013 after several seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, said the goal heading into last summer was stricter monitoring of players, and regular communication with their personal trainers and training groups.

Players met with a dietician, then their weight and body fat was measured weekly.

They went one step further with newcomers C.J. Miles and OG Anunoby. The team sent a staff member to San Antonio weekly to check in with Miles. When the Raptors took Anunoby, who was recovering from a torn ACL, 23rd overall in the draft, they quickly set his recovery plan into motion.

"The night we drafted him, we laid out his plan for the summer," McKechnie said. "It was laid out that night, in terms of location, where we'd like to be, and what we'd like to do moving forward to bring him to today."

It's a far cry from earlier times, said McKechnie and Casey, when NBA players would spend much of the off-season with their feet up, and then have to work their way back into shape during training camp.

"Players got left behind very quickly," McKechnie said.

Back at Biosteel Centre, the team's state of the art training centre in Toronto, the floor is fitted with high-tech pressure plates.

"(Players) will run, and hit the (floor) and drive off one side or the other, so you can measure exactly how much pressure is coming from one side," McKechnie said. "So in a case where you have an injury on the right side, we want to show they're driving with equal force from right to left.

"The biggest problem we face is the jumping and the landing, that's obviously coming down from a height."
The benefits of a strict off-season conditioning stretches well beyond the pre-season. It also allows players to better withstand the rigours of an arduous 82-game season.

"They know the harder they work, the more they stay in condition in the summertime, the easier it is to come into training camp and be in great shape for the season. . . which prolongs their career," Casey said. "What tears your career down is breaking your body down in October trying to get in great shape and then playing."
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: Raptors had Greater Focus on Conditioning this past Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Scott Hall » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 am

What about focus on their horrible basketball IQ?
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,158

Post#3 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 am

Scott Hall wrote:What about focus on their horrible basketball IQ?

:roll: :nonono:

Anyway, I wonder how much of this was triggered by what happened to JJ last year with the Heat? That must have been a wake up call. Complacent, indeed.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,636

Post#4 » by Inevitable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 am

This is totally fake news look what was posted the other day

lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#5 » by lolwut » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:52 am

Inevitable wrote:This is totally fake news look what was posted the other day

There's 10-15 lb of timbits in that box.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,734

Post#6 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 am

You hear about the Miami Heat and their conditioning and you have to ask yourself "That seems positive, why can't we implement the same thing?"
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,839

Post#7 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 am

Such an incredible top notch organization. The focus is on winning multiple titles, they are going all in.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,228

Post#8 » by Def Leppard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Not to sound like a jerkus perkus (similar to hockus pokus, but in people form). There are lots of sports where you couldn't get away with that kind of conditioning... Even seeing or hearing what those guys eat post game, it's a joke...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#9 » by ruckus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:44 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

Anyway, I wonder how much of this was triggered by what happened to JJ last year with the Heat? That must have been a wake up call. Complacent, indeed.

I'm sure that was part of it as well as Sully's descent into unplayability. Prior to Sully, the Raptor's were starting to build a rep of rehabbing careers. They did it for Lou and they did it for Biyombo. Sully's injury and resulting weight gain kinda tore that all down.

I don't know why more teams don't implement a 12 month approach but, it's not a coincidence that the 2 teams (MIA and SAS) that have adopted a bodyweight monitoring system have been 2 of the more consistently successful teams in the past 20 years.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,486

Post#10 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Sullinger picked the wrong year to be a Raptor.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,462

Post#11 » by Mikistan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 pm

LAUGHING AT ALL THE POSTERS WHO DEFENDED OUR STAFF IN THE PAST - CLEARLY WEREN'T DOING THEIR JOBS WITH HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OUT THE DOOR EVERY YEAR
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#12 » by nitrous » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:11 pm

15lbs of muscle (fat).
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,045

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Mikistan wrote:LAUGHING AT ALL THE POSTERS WHO DEFENDED OUR STAFF IN THE PAST - CLEARLY WEREN'T DOING THEIR JOBS WITH HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OUT THE DOOR EVERY YEAR

Clearly some players weren't willing or able to stick to any plan in the past. And you know exactly who I mean.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#14 » by Patman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:You hear about the Miami Heat and their conditioning and you have to ask yourself "That seems positive, why can't we implement the same thing?"

I bet most teams were thinking the same thing, that monitoring players off-season would seem like "babysitting" and could turn players off. You need receptive players. I'm glad our players are cool with it.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mikistan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Mikistan wrote:LAUGHING AT ALL THE POSTERS WHO DEFENDED OUR STAFF IN THE PAST - CLEARLY WEREN'T DOING THEIR JOBS WITH HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OUT THE DOOR EVERY YEAR

Clearly some players weren't willing or able to stick to any plan in the past. And you know exactly who I mean.

Clearly our staff didnt set hard deadlines/guidelines, and clearly our staff also has no history holding anyone other than young troubled players accountable.

AKA not doing their job.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#16 » by MixxSRC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Clearly our staff didnt set hard deadlines/guidelines, and clearly our staff also has no history holding anyone other than young troubled players accountable.

AKA not doing their job.

Clearly those players weren't doing theirs either. We got a bunch of players who need to be treated like babies and not professionals
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,740

Post#17 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm

ruckus wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

I'm sure that was part of it as well as Sully's descent into unplayability. Prior to Sully, the Raptor's were starting to build a rep of rehabbing careers. They did it for Lou and they did it for Biyombo. Sully's injury and resulting weight gain kinda tore that all down.

I don't know why more teams don't implement a 12 month approach but, it's not a coincidence that the 2 teams (MIA and SAS) that have adopted a bodyweight monitoring system have been 2 of the more consistently successful teams in the past 20 years.

Contracts, probably.

This stuff takes buy in from the players, which is generally easier to get with younger players. Like, OG wasn't going to say no.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,045

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

AKA not doing their job.

Cleary you don't know anything about the past and are completely guessing. Oh they hold players accountable, but people just then blame the coaches, make up excuses .

its funny that when you realize the excuses made for players and finger pointing to other fake causes are exactly the opposite of holding someone accountable.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mikistan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

AKA not doing their job.

Clearly those players weren't doing theirs either. We got a bunch of players who need to be treated like babies and not professionals

Cute, but terms of employment and responsibilities of the position you are hired into are set by the employer.
If I'm given 10 million dollars, the coaching staff cut out pre-game shoot around 1 year ago, and they don't contact me in the summers, wtf do you think im going to do? Banana boat.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#20 » by MixxSRC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Mikistan wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

AKA not doing their job.

Cute, but terms of employment and responsibilities of the position you are hired into are set by the employer.
If I'm given 10 million dollars, the coaching staff cut out pre-game shoot around 1 year ago, and they don't contact me in the summers, wtf do you think im going to do? Banana boat.

Then you're trash

Return to Toronto Raptors