What is the Celtics' ceiling? (NOW WITH ADDED POLL)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What is the Celtics' ceiling?

NBA Championship
13%
NBA Finals
35%
Eastern Conference Finals
38%
Eastern Conference Semi-Finals
9%
1st Round Exit
5%

Total votes: 163

Tommygriffin
Junior
And1: 776

Re: What is the Celtics' ceiling? 

Post#21 » by Tommygriffin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 am

Chip. With Tatum as fmvp and roy
MovieMuscle
Starter
And1: 949

Post#22 » by MovieMuscle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 am

I don't know, but what I do know is that LeBron haters are going to be saying Kyrie and the Celtics are going to whoop his butt in the Playoffs, and when the Cavs gentlemanly sweep them, those same bitter haters will say that LeBron has it easy in the East. lol
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#23 » by Bertrob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:08 am

MovieMuscle wrote:I don't know, but what I do know is that LeBron haters are going to be saying Kyrie and the Celtics are going to whoop his butt in the Playoffs, and when the Cavs gentlemanly sweep them, those same bitter haters will say that LeBron has it easy in the East. lol

what can you do. Typical hypocrisy
Tommygriffin
Junior
And1: 776

Post#24 » by Tommygriffin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 am

MovieMuscle wrote:I don't know, but what I do know is that LeBron haters are going to be saying Kyrie and the Celtics are going to whoop his butt in the Playoffs, and when the Cavs gentlemanly sweep them, those same bitter haters will say that LeBron has it easy in the East. lol

I don't think it will be a sweep. I think what it comes down to (if both teams are healthy) is do the Celtics finally have an answer for Kevin Love. He has always killed them when they have met the past couple years. I'm not sure the current bigs they have can slow him down.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,882

Post#25 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 am

Its relative to how big a star you consider Kyrie and Hayward are. If you think both guys are superstars, then yeah they can definitely have winning a championship as their ceiling.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 914

Post#26 » by jimmy_smith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 am

Losing in conference final.
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,635

Post#27 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:55 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
They swapped for a much younger pg that fits the Tatum/Brown timeline, Boston will most likely be resigning Irving so it is a move for the longterm. With how Cleveland is currently constructed they're not a lock for getting out of the east. Boston's ceiling is the finals, no one, including Cleveland is getting past GS.

There's absolutely no way of knowing if Boston will be able to re-sign Irving, so making such assumptions doesn't qualify the move as long term. The only certainty with Irving is that you have 2 years of control, compared to 7 years control with the draft pick you traded. Drafting young players is long term. Trading for all-stars with 2 years left is a win now move, and win-now is not long term. I mean it's great that Celtics fans hope it works out long term, but that's not how you define long term moves.

As for their ceiling, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. My opinion of Lebron is that Haywood and Kryrie ain't enough to get past him. So I appreciate the fact that you disagree, but it doesn't change my opinion just because you try and state yours as fact.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
711takeover
Veteran
And1: 2,135

Post#28 » by 711takeover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
KnightofHyrule wrote:While the Rockets and Thunder made offseason moves for the short term, the Celtics made moves that in my opinion feel like long term moves instead.

I'm not sure how things will go for Boston in the coming years, but what could be the Celtics ceiling for this season? Finals? ECF? An earlier exit?

And how will that result affect their roster moves in the coming years?

They traded the Nets pick for a guy with 2 years left on his deal.

I think we have different definitions of long term moves.

IMO, with their current roster, their ceiling is the same as it was, eastern conference finals. They do have the potential to add another short term piece like Kyrie, in which case they could raise their ceiling.

With the intention of Kyrie re-signing. Kyrie for 2 years is better than IT getting a max contract at the end of this year after missing half the season with a hip injury
711takeover
Veteran

Post#29 » by 711takeover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
They swapped for a much younger pg that fits the Tatum/Brown timeline, Boston will most likely be resigning Irving so it is a move for the longterm. With how Cleveland is currently constructed they're not a lock for getting out of the east. Boston's ceiling is the finals, no one, including Cleveland is getting past GS.

There's absolutely no way of knowing if Boston will be able to re-sign Irving, so making such assumptions doesn't qualify the move as long term. The only certainty with Irving is that you have 2 years of control, compared to 7 years control with the draft pick you traded. Drafting young players is long term. Trading for all-stars with 2 years left is a win now move, and win-now is not long term. I mean it's great that Celtics fans hope it works out long term, but that's not how you define long term moves.

As for their ceiling, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. My opinion of Lebron is that Haywood and Kryrie ain't enough to get past him. So I appreciate the fact that you disagree, but it doesn't change my opinion just because you try and state yours as fact.

But if you didn't trade IT and the nets pick then you're paying a 5-9 30 yr old PG coming off a hip injury a max contract for 4-5 years. Kyrie clearly fits the timeline better than Isaiah would since Kyrie is only 25 right now. Your opinion is highly flawed bud but I guess it's my fault for coming on the general board cause I always find clowns like you.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Post#30 » by vxmike » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 am

ECF until Lebron doesn't play in the East.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,635

Post#31 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 am

711takeover wrote:But if you didn't trade IT and the nets pick then you're paying a 5-9 30 yr old PG coming off a hip injury a max contract for 4-5 years. Kyrie clearly fits the timeline better than Isaiah would since Kyrie is only 25 right now. Your opinion is highly flawed bud but I guess it's my fault for coming on the general board cause I always find clowns like you.

You mean clowns who understand the difference between long/short term? Yeah, that must be rough. Don't know what to tell you.

As for the trade, I never said they shouldn't do it. Ainge would have been crazy to keep IT and pay his next contract. I have no problem with making the trade, but when you trade an asset with 7 years of control for one with 2 years, that is not a long term move. The Nets pick was the centerpiece of the Kyrie trade, not IT. IT's trade value was negligible due to his injury and 1 year left on his deal.That is a win-now move, and typically win-now moves are associated with short term, not long term. This ain't rocket surgery.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,343

Post#32 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:37 am

Hard to say. If everything clicks, maybe 55 wins and ECF again.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#33 » by udfa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 am

ECF

If both teams come in healthy the Cavs are going to crush them, assuming of course Boston can get there.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#34 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

Finals if tatum/brown can contribute positively and IT is still hampered.

They are an absolute joy to watch..caught a couple of their preseason games.
koningcosmo
Senior
And1: 636

Post#35 » by koningcosmo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am

hopefully they can make the ECF fun this year, dont see them beat cavs just yet.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,343

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 am

AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,266

Post#37 » by AdagioPace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am

winning 2 games against the Cavs in the ECF

(I think it's fair considering that rockets/okc/spurs vs cavs would go 7)
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
711takeover
Veteran

Post#38 » by 711takeover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
711takeover wrote:But if you didn't trade IT and the nets pick then you're paying a 5-9 30 yr old PG coming off a hip injury a max contract for 4-5 years. Kyrie clearly fits the timeline better than Isaiah would since Kyrie is only 25 right now. Your opinion is highly flawed bud but I guess it's my fault for coming on the general board cause I always find clowns like you.

You mean clowns who understand the difference between long/short term? Yeah, that must be rough. Don't know what to tell you.

As for the trade, I never said they shouldn't do it. Ainge would have been crazy to keep IT and pay his next contract. I have no problem with making the trade, but when you trade an asset with 7 years of control for one with 2 years, that is not a long term move. The Nets pick was the centerpiece of the Kyrie trade, not IT. IT's trade value was negligible due to his injury and 1 year left on his deal.That is a win-now move, and typically win-now moves are associated with short term, not long term. This ain't rocket surgery.

Well it's a win now and win in the future move as you get a proven star in Kyrie who is only 25 and you are still competing while having the Lakers or Kings pick
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#39 » by ropjhk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:08 pm

They have the potential to make the finals (4th most likely scenario). The most likely expectation should be losing in the ECF. Second most likely expectation should be 2nd round loss, and 3rd likely scenario is a 1st round loss. Missing the playoffs or winning the finals would be very unexpected.
PackAttack9
Senior
And1: 224

Post#40 » by PackAttack9 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Mylie10 wrote:The Old Garden was about 50 feet

The New one, probably more like 60 feet or more.

Poignant because their 'ceiling' this season could be hoisting another of them title banners from it. Heyyo!

Return to The General Board