Image ImageImage Image

2018 Draft Thread #6

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,958

Re: 2018 Draft Thread #6 

Post#721 » by Dresden » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:45 pm

Mikal is one of the best fits for our team. We need to improve defensively, and can always use more 3 pt shooting, and we have a hole at sf. Plus he comes from a team that is highly ranked.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Draft Thread #6 

Post#722 » by Benedict Miller » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:11 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Mikal Bridges has some skills this current team can benefit from, but I'm not sure about his potential.

Bridges has sneaky upside. I don't know how much his ball skills will improve, but he's so efficient in every other area on top of being a high level defender.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think he'll be solid. Sneaky upside is a good way of putting it, I have to agree, but still not sure on the "boom effect" because of his ball skills, and lack of creativity as a scorer.

He'd be a nice pick up though. I like wings that can defend, with athleticism who can also shoot.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,570

Post#723 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:18 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Mikal Bridges has some skills this current team can benefit from, but I'm not sure about his potential.

Bridges has sneaky upside. I don't know how much his ball skills will improve, but he's so efficient in every other area on top of being a high level defender.

I think he'll be solid. Sneaky upside is a good way of putting it, I have to agree, but still not sure on the "boom effect" because of his ball skills, and lack of creativity as a scorer.

Now that I think about it, he'd be a nice pick up though.

Mikal has been my #1 big board guy (outside of the Big 7) since day one...I think he is best fit/good upside. His defense paired with Dunn would be great (not to mention it would make losing Nwaba easier if it happens).
Dresden
RealGM

Post#724 » by Dresden » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:25 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Now that I think about it, he'd be a nice pick up though.

Mikal has been my #1 big board guy (outside of the Big 7) since day one...I think he is best fit/good upside. His defense paired with Dunn would be great (not to mention it would make losing Nwaba easier if it happens).

We really need more two way players. Even when we are scoring well, sometimes our defense is so bad, we don't get any separation from teams. Wing defense is so important these days, as that is the most important position offensively for most teams. Bridges is someone who could guard Ben Simmons or James Harden, and probably would also be out best bet against Lebron, Giannis, and maybe even Durant. It will take a few years, of course before he figures out how to guard in the nba. But the size and skills are there to be a top notch defender.
poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#725 » by poolshark52 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:05 pm

3noD wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:JJJ > Bagley every day of the week.

-

Was listening to discussion on the Game Theory Podcast, talked in depth about Gafford. They were talking about Carter vs Gafford, and that a team that's more motion based might draft a higher skill guy like Carter, whereas a team that wants to play with more of a rim runner will go for Gafford (makes sense). Point being, same applies to Johntay Porter. From what I gather from Fred, I think he prefers the higher skill guy that can stretch the floor and pass from the 5. So worth considering there.

He spoke more about Hunter, makes a good case for him, OG Anunoby is a good comparison, more offensive potential imo, OG maybe a bit more of an explosive athlete. They spoke about Zhaire Smith more but I'm not as sold on him at this point, needs a lot of work to round out his skill-set.

Interesting stuff. I still probably take Bagley > JJJ. I like JJJ, but right now, he seems to be a bit flavor of the month. Normal, we’ve seen the yo-yo for almost every top player this year depending on most recent performance. Doncic, Bagley, Young, Bamba to some degree, and now JJJ.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I too would take Bagley. I'm very iffy on JJJ. In general, I don't like Michigan State guys. They rarely end up being great pros. I know that Draymond is an exception (and of course Magic, but that was long ago and way pre-Izzo). Gary Harris was OK. But for every Harris or Draymond, there are multiple Deyvonta Davis's, Areain Payne's, etc.
Nwaba daba doo!
Davell
Junior
And1: 242

Post#726 » by Davell » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:21 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761580-2018-nba-draft-updated-big-board-entering-march

Wasserman's updated Big Board.....

Interesting rankings to me.

42. Rawle Alkins
37. Brandon McCoy
34. Hamidou Diallo
31. Zhaire Smith
25. Lonnie Walker
22. De'Andre Hunter
20. Collin Sexton
16. Mitchell Robinson
15. Jontay Porter
13. Dzanan Musa
12. Daniel Gafford

Top 10

10 Wendell Carter
9 Kevin Knox
8 Marvin Bagley
7 Mohamed Bamba
6 Mikal Bridges
5 Trae Young
4 Michael Porter
3 Jaren Jackson
2 Deandre Ayton
1 Luka Doncic
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#727 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:26 pm

MJP all day.
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#728 » by bigworld2017 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:27 pm

If we don't get into the top 6 and the big prospects are gone, Mikal is our next best option...the Best Player Available at a position of need..the small forward position. Mikal can defend all the wing positions, often on the same possession. He's not a offensive black hole. He won't demand the ball as probably the 4th option offensively. He comes from a solid, well coached program and has played in a very competitive league. A future superstar? Probably not. But a solid, two way player you can plug into the "3" slot for the next 10 years. The "3" is our most glaring need. Lets solve that issue this year while we can. Then pray Gafford is still around when the Pelicans pick comes around.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#729 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:48 pm

I want to buy into Mikal Bridges, but I have a hard time drafting a wing with no self-creation skills in the top 8. It seems like all of his baskets come off spot-up shooting, curls, dives and hustle points. And don't me wrong, those are super valuable skills, but they're more side dish than entree. I want an entree.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#730 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:00 pm

Mikal reminds me of a cross of Marvin Williams and Wilson Chandler. Good player going forward, but not going to make any allstar teams.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#731 » by RememberLu » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:07 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I want to buy into Mikal Bridges, but I have a hard time drafting a wing with no self-creation skills in the top 8. It seems like all of his baskets come off spot-up shooting, curls, dives and hustle points. And don't me wrong, those are super valuable skills, but they're more side dish than entree. I want an entree.

Don't we have enough players that need to handle the ball? We need some guys whose game is catered to playing off ball. I mean that's the concern with drafting Trae too, he needs the ball in his hands constantly
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#732 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:11 pm

RememberLu wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I want to buy into Mikal Bridges, but I have a hard time drafting a wing with no self-creation skills in the top 8. It seems like all of his baskets come off spot-up shooting, curls, dives and hustle points. And don't me wrong, those are super valuable skills, but they're more side dish than entree. I want an entree.

Don't we have enough players that need to handle the ball? We need some guys whose game is catered to playing off ball. I mean that's the concern with drafting Trae too, he needs the ball in his hands constantly

Which of our on-ball players can you confidently say is a cornerstone?
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#733 » by RememberLu » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:14 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
RememberLu wrote:

I think we just need to work with what we have, otherwise we might be like Sacramento and "rebuilding" for 10 years. So i'd say Dunn and LaVine both need to handle the ball a lot. We already complain that Lauri isn't getting enough shot attempts. Draft another ball dominant guard and it might be a too many cooks in the kitchen situation
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#734 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:15 pm

RememberLu wrote:

I know it sounds like learning the off-ball game is difficult. But, learning to create in the NBA is a very difficult skill to get. There are very few players who can do that consistently especially the non-PG types. It is on the coaching staff to teach/devise schemes for off-ball plays.

The whole point of tanking is to get somebody who can create his own shot and also has upside in other things. You do not want the next Trevor Ariza who is damn important but can be signed as a free agent or traded for much more easily.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#735 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:22 pm

RememberLu wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
RememberLu wrote:

I think we just need to work with what we have, otherwise we might be like Sacramento and "rebuilding" for 10 years. So i'd say Dunn and LaVine both need to handle the ball a lot. We already complain that Lauri isn't getting enough shot attempts. Draft another ball dominant guard and it might be a too many cooks in the kitchen situation

If we drafted a ball-dominant player to go along with Lavine and Dunn, we'd funnel touches to whichever prospect pans out the best. Maybe we'd have to trade one sooner or later. I'm not sure. But I don't think we can pencil in Lavine or Dunn as successful high-usage players based on what we've seen. And until we find a successful high-usage player, I believe we ought to keep looking, since creation skills are what you build around.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,918

Post#736 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:46 pm

RememberLu wrote:

We are so thoroughly **** if this is how GarPax are approaching things.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#737 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:06 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
RememberLu wrote:

We are so thoroughly **** if this is how GarPax are approaching things.

RLu brings up a good point. Having average/mediocre players who need the ball will harm the team. They are already less talented and also need the ball. Because of that, efficiency suffers and you end up screwing up the rebuild.

There is a difference between a ball needy guy and a guy who can create/needs the ball. Durant is a guy who can create/needs the ball but is not a ball needy guy. Westbrook is a ball needy guy. And, no wonder Durant got tired of Westbrook's game.

OTOH, the Bulls needed somebody other than Rose who can create his own shot in 2011 and couldn't find one. Even a marginal creator like Bellinelli was useful.

If Dunn doesn't learn how to play off-ball, then the Bulls will be stuck in this old style offense or best case of your turn/my turn offense. Th
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,289

Post#738 » by Dan Z » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:12 pm

Davell wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761580-2018-nba-draft-updated-big-board-entering-march

Top 10

10 Wendell Carter
9 Kevin Knox
8 Marvin Bagley
7 Mohamed Bamba
6 Mikal Bridges
5 Trae Young
4 Michael Porter
3 Jaren Jackson
2 Deandre Ayton
1 Luka Doncic

If we end up at 6 and this is how it goes who do you take? Mikal, Bamba or Bagley?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#739 » by MrSparkle » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:14 pm

I think Bridges will be a good player but his handles slightly remind me of Wiggins.' Loose and awkward. But he does get to the rim and finish with contact. And he does have a better 3P Shot. And better footwork. So roughly projecting a better Wiggins? That wouldn't be a bad pickup.

But not as thrilling a pickup as an Ayton, Doncic or even Porter (if he looks legit). Also think Bagley is slumping but is still gonna be a serious NBA player. Although I definitely see the benefit of getting a player with a more proven 3P shot and defense.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#740 » by Dresden » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:31 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Davell wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761580-2018-nba-draft-updated-big-board-entering-march

Top 10

10 Wendell Carter
9 Kevin Knox
8 Marvin Bagley
7 Mohamed Bamba
6 Mikal Bridges
5 Trae Young
4 Michael Porter
3 Jaren Jackson
2 Deandre Ayton
1 Luka Doncic

If we end up at 6 and this is how it goes who do you take? Mikal, Bamba or Bagley?

Bagley all day long. Between Bomba and Mikal, I'd be torn.

Return to Chicago Bulls