Spurs Feel Turning Point Of Relationship With Kawhi Leonard Was August 2018 China Trip

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Spurs Feel Turning Point Of Relationship With Kawhi Leonard Was August 2018 China Trip 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:19 am

ESPN's Michael C. Wright outlined in detail on the Back To Back Podcast how Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs' relationship became fractured over the past year to the point where he's requested a trade.

"The Spurs were in the dark for most of the season," said Wright. "Like some of the things that were happening were crazy.

"I probably shouldn’t say this, but I’m going to say it because Kawhi is about to be out of there I think. There was a point during his rehab process in New York that some of the Spurs brass went out to see him in New York. As soon as those guys arrived to the building, Kawhi’s people grabbed him and sequestered him to another part of the building. And so the Spurs' people couldn’t even see him.

"These are the types of things that are going on that people don't know about."

The Spurs handed over direction of Leonard's rehab on August 8, 2017. Leonard felt like the exercsises the Spurs were having him do were making him hurt even more. Leonard had multiple opinions on his thight.

Leonard then went to China for a promotional tour about a week later.

"When he went away to China, the Spurs couldn't get him on the phone. They could not get in touch with him. The thing is when the Spurs have something like that, a guy go on a league sanctioned trip abroad, they're going to send their security people. They're going to send their PR people to be with that player. They couldn't even get in touch with him.

"If you talk to people within that organization, they'll tell you that was the turning point in the relationship when he went off to China and they could not get in touch with him. Everything changed after that."

Via Michael C. Wright/ESPN

gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Re: Spurs Feel Turning Point Of Relationship With Kawhi Leonard Was August 2018 China Trip 

Post#2 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:56 am

How many straws before the "final" straw that breaks the camel's back?

Lazy reporting as always.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,392

Re: Spurs Feel Turning Point Of Relationship With Kawhi Leonard Was August 2018 China Trip 

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:40 am

Wow so Kawhi’s “Uncle Dennis” is actually an NHL player! I can see the resemblance too.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,926

Post#4 » by meekrab » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:54 am

This is the weirdest NBA story of recent times.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:04 am

So the Spurs doctors/physical therapists prescribe some exercises, after doing them, Dennis Robertson would be hurting. That's why a trade request is made and Kawhi is confined and forbidden to see Spurs officials.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Dallas2020
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#6 » by Dallas2020 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:32 am

Everyone already knew that Kawhi the Caoward is just a pawn in his uncle's game. He'll be begging for MLE next summer.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#7 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:55 am

Man the Spurs just should have dealt him when all of this started. With all of this stuff getting out the price tag keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#8 » by TimRobbins » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:57 am

This is hurting both the Spurs and Kawhi. A trade should have been done long ago.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:25 am

Awesome. Delay tactics. Keep this thing dragging on.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Javier Acosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 632

Post#10 » by Javier Acosta » Fri Jul 6, 2018 9:09 am

Dallas2020 wrote:Everyone already knew that Kawhi the Caoward is just a pawn in his uncle's game. He'll be begging for MLE next summer.

How do you know? Were you there? Do you read Kawhi's mind?
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#11 » by Pukovnik » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:21 am

The Spurs should have blocked the payment of his salary. He refused to play, he refused to even communicate with his employer, they had a pretty good case. If a person on a normal day to day job leaves his workplace and fails to report what is happening, he is gone the next day.
bballshinobi
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#12 » by bballshinobi » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:35 pm

Pukovnik wrote:The Spurs should have blocked the payment of his salary. He refused to play, he refused to even communicate with his employer, they had a pretty good case. If a person on a normal day to day job leaves his workplace and fails to report what is happening, he is gone the next day.

If a regular Joe on a normal job takes leave of absence from his workplace because he is injured at the workplace, he will still get paid while on medical leave and/or covered by workers comp. Kawhi is communicating to the Spurs too - "trade me" - just like a regular Joe would want to leave his company if he was asked to stay at the office while having a broken leg. The problem right now is just that the regular Joe signed a non-compete when he took the job, and he wants the employer to waive it.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#13 » by timpiker » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:43 pm

Kawhi sounds like a big baby.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#14 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:07 pm

timpiker wrote:Kawhi sounds like a big baby.

No he doesn't. The man hasn't said a SINGLE thing. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt?
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
The Nutz
Junior
And1: 522

Post#15 » by The Nutz » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:05 pm

bballshinobi wrote:
Pukovnik wrote:The Spurs should have blocked the payment of his salary. He refused to play, he refused to even communicate with his employer, they had a pretty good case. If a person on a normal day to day job leaves his workplace and fails to report what is happening, he is gone the next day.

If a regular Joe on a normal job takes leave of absence from his workplace because he is injured at the workplace, he will still get paid while on medical leave and/or covered by workers comp. Kawhi is communicating to the Spurs too - "trade me" - just like a regular Joe would want to leave his company if he was asked to stay at the office while having a broken leg. The problem right now is just that the regular Joe signed a non-compete when he took the job, and he wants the employer to waive it.

OH this is a load of BS. If a regular Joe wants LT Disability then he has to have doctor's notes, he has to communicate, and he certainly can not run and hide and expect to be paid. Kawhi is coming across like an untrustworthy, petulant child who doesn't think for himself, who changes his mind daily, and I would think that any franchise would be seriously reconsidering whether they should hire someone like this.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#16 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:18 pm

Throwback24 wrote:

No he doesn't. The man hasn't said a SINGLE thing.

Lol. Fake news strikes again!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:28 pm

meekrab wrote:This is the weirdest NBA story of recent times.

I'll take Fultz for 1000 Alex
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
devilsace
Junior
And1: 334

Post#18 » by devilsace » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:46 pm

bballshinobi wrote:

This has to be the stupidest thing ive read...First off to get paid on medical leave or LTD u need document from ur doctor...he was medically cleared midway thru the season...and no employee is going to there boss nd saying I want to be sent to only these companies nd if u send me to any others I'll leave in a year...lol also I don't which job u can jus say I'm not gonna work the next year unless u trade me...kawhi at this point us coming off like a spoiled diva and bitch
badass316
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,075

Post#19 » by badass316 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:22 pm

The turning point WAS August 2018?

Wtf is this? Hot tub time machine? :lol:
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#20 » by timpiker » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:34 pm

Throwback24 wrote:

No he doesn't. The man hasn't said a SINGLE thing. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Benefit of the doubt? You’re kidding. Hiding from his employer? He’s worse than a big baby.

Return to Wiretap Discussion