Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,365

Re: Cavs 2019 off-season 

Post#161 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Right nobody knows what the roster will look like after this season but I think of the bigs outside of Nance, Henson has a very solid chance of remaining with the org and so I do think they will not move him unless a unexpected offer gets thrown at them at the DL.
Personally think TT is the most likely one traded though.
As far as Zizic I think he has proven himself at least worthy of retaining at his current pay scale and would not be moved for less than replacement value( not just as a throw in).

I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.
Priority one is figuring out if Sexton and Garland can play together, two is to keep their pick next year. After that finding a C that can play today's NBA game, and figuring out what to do with KLove in order are next on the agenda.

I think keeping the upcoming 1st is less of a concern than people think. I think they would rather the team play well and realize they didn't make a mistake so they just miss the playoffs than trying to purposely lose and not get to find out what htey really have because they never played meaningful basketball all year since they were tanking to keep their pick.

Well, they've stacked the deck pretty well towards keeping that pick especially once they start trading expiring vets for future picks and/or find someone who is willing to give up something good for Kevin.

So, yeah, if they actually play well because player's are exceeding expectations, I don't think they'll be concerned with losing the 10th + pick in the draft; and will instead focus on making the most of what we bring in via trade.

Still, this expected purge will seem like tanking to many.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#162 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Right nobody knows what the roster will look like after this season but I think of the bigs outside of Nance, Henson has a very solid chance of remaining with the org and so I do think they will not move him unless a unexpected offer gets thrown at them at the DL.
Personally think TT is the most likely one traded though.
As far as Zizic I think he has proven himself at least worthy of retaining at his current pay scale and would not be moved for less than replacement value( not just as a throw in).

I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.
Priority one is figuring out if Sexton and Garland can play together, two is to keep their pick next year. After that finding a C that can play today's NBA game, and figuring out what to do with KLove in order are next on the agenda.
I foresee having issues with both Clarkson and TT in a contract year tbh. If we get decent offers for either guy early, we should take them.

Always a possibility, but we'll likely tell their agents to STFU and go sell their players to another team so we can trade them.

I haven't seen any indication that Tristan and Clarkson would personally start trouble and unless they've been working on some new stuff this Summer they're well known commodities. If they don't fit what Beilein wants, I don't think anyone is going to hold it against them; but if they do work out - that should help increase their value. Perhaps they aren't as one dimensional as everyone has assumed for years.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#163 » by Revenged25 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
gflem wrote:I think Zizic is a third C or 5th big, however you want to classify it, and I also think the team will be willing to move TT and Henson at the DL regardless of where they are in the standings. Neither are in the long term plans at this point.

I think keeping the upcoming 1st is less of a concern than people think. I think they would rather the team play well and realize they didn't make a mistake so they just miss the playoffs than trying to purposely lose and not get to find out what htey really have because they never played meaningful basketball all year since they were tanking to keep their pick.

Well, they've stacked the deck pretty well towards keeping that pick especially once they start trading expiring vets for future picks and/or find someone who is willing to give up something good for Kevin.

So, yeah, if they actually play well because player's are exceeding expectations, I don't think they'll be concerned with losing the 10th + pick in the draft; and will instead focus on making the most of what we bring in via trade.

I think people are selling how "stacked the deck" is against Cleveland unless the young players are just straight up busts. If the players are anywhere near capable NBA players and not complete busts the team will be a lot better than expected. Defense will probably still be bad, but they should be able to at a minimum score with most teams in the league based on what our young players skillsets are. Also I really don't think Love gets traded unless it's a very rich offer that they just can't say no to. They've said numerous times they want to put the young players into competitive situations to help their development, also lets you know what you actually have, and Love's skillset plays perfectly into putting the young guys into a position to succeed.

I also think that the "mass exodus" of vets is going to be vastly overstated. I see 3 of Clarkson/Thompson/Henson/Knight being shipped off. Thompson has proven to be a productive player on a championship team and could help one make the final push with his rebounding, Clarkson would be a viable 6th man/spark plug off the bench for a contender, Henson could be looked at by similar contending teams needing center depth, while Knight would be used likely in a salary dump + asset if he's moved. The other 3 I think could net a prospect or similar level talent in return at SF/PF to help with our depth there. Even if you still move all 4 for straight salary dump + assets, which I doubt they would due since they are positioning themselves well with cap going forward, it would still mean the young players would have to be really really bad, Sexton not to progress at all, and Love to miss the majority of the season to likely be in the bottom 3-5 teams since there are some really really bad teams out there, even if you had the Cavs run out just Garland/Sexton/Osman/Nance/Zizic with Delly/KPJ/Windler/Whoever off the bench. I would still pick that squad over the Hornets right now as at least that team will probably score a couple points.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#164 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Way too early to know exactly what this team is going to look like early on, but unless they go full development mode throwing Garland,Sexton,KPJ and WIndler all into the starting line up with KLove , the team is not going to lose as much in the first half of the season as the second half IF any of the vets like Knight,TT and JC are potentially replaced by lesser non rotation level expiring's with draft assets or rookie scale projects attached to CLE as compensation.

I don't think for a second all 3 rookies are getting a starting gig to start this season where full tank is the mantra but I do think it is reasonable to assume at minimum Windler and Garland will get some starter minutes before the deadline and KPJ will get heavy rotation minutes because all 3 are excellent fits in Beileins offense
I mean they could bench disgruntled untraded vets if they don't pull a J.R. and walk away if no trades materialize at the deadline, but I doubt they would given the attn. it would get from the league.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#165 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think people are selling how "stacked the deck" is against Cleveland unless the young players are just straight up busts. If the players are anywhere near capable NBA players and not complete busts the team will be a lot better than expected. Defense will probably still be bad, but they should be able to at a minimum score with most teams in the league based on what our young players skillsets are. Also I really don't think Love gets traded unless it's a very rich offer that they just can't say no to. They've said numerous times they want to put the young players into competitive situations to help their development, also lets you know what you actually have, and Love's skillset plays perfectly into putting the young guys into a position to succeed.

I also think that the "mass exodus" of vets is going to be vastly overstated. I see 3 of Clarkson/Thompson/Henson/Knight being shipped off. Thompson has proven to be a productive player on a championship team and could help one make the final push with his rebounding, Clarkson would be a viable 6th man/spark plug off the bench for a contender, Henson could be looked at by similar contending teams needing center depth, while Knight would be used likely in a salary dump + asset if he's moved. The other 3 I think could net a prospect or similar level talent in return at SF/PF to help with our depth there. Even if you still move all 4 for straight salary dump + assets, which I doubt they would due since they are positioning themselves well with cap going forward, it would still mean the young players would have to be really really bad, Sexton not to progress at all, and Love to miss the majority of the season to likely be in the bottom 3-5 teams since there are some really really bad teams out there, even if you had the Cavs run out just Garland/Sexton/Osman/Nance/Zizic with Delly/KPJ/Windler/Whoever off the bench. I would still pick that squad over the Hornets right now as at least that team will probably score a couple points.

You said nothing unreasonable ... but losing 3 rotation players and replacing them with rookies doesn't typically result in a lot of winning. Rookies can impress and still hurt the team's chances of winning - especially young PGs like Sexton and Garland.

If that's not the case, I think the Cavs will gladly accept the wins because players will be exceeding expectations by a fair amount. Unfortunately, we'll still have to hear from fans complaining about the team not trying hard enough to lose.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#166 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Stillwater wrote:Way too early to know exactly what this team is going to look like early on, but unless they go full development mode throwing Garland,Sexton,KPJ and WIndler all into the starting line up with KLove , the team is not going to lose as much in the first half of the season as the second half IF any of the vets like Knight,TT and JC are potentially replaced by lesser non rotation level expiring's with draft assets or rookie scale projects attached to CLE as compensation.

I don't think for a second all 3 rookies are getting a starting gig to start this season where full tank is the mantra but I do think it is reasonable to assume at minimum Windler and Garland will get some starter minutes before the deadline and KPJ will get heavy rotation minutes because all 3 are excellent fits in Beileins offense
I mean they could bench disgruntled untraded vets if they don't pull a J.R. and walk away if no trades materialize at the deadline, but I doubt they would given the attn. it would get from the league.

The NBA isn't going to care if we sit players other than maybe Kevin Love. Yes, trolls on the general board will gripe about it, but it's not going to hurt the TV ratings or ticket sales if Tristan, Clarkson, and Knight are benched because we'd rather give minutes to Zizic, Garland, Windler, Porter Jr, etc.

But we just don't know what the approach will be ... whether the Cavs decide they do want to showcase the vets, or integrate the rooks more slowly, "make them earn minutes", etc.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#167 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Way too early to know exactly what this team is going to look like early on, but unless they go full development mode throwing Garland,Sexton,KPJ and WIndler all into the starting line up with KLove , the team is not going to lose as much in the first half of the season as the second half IF any of the vets like Knight,TT and JC are potentially replaced by lesser non rotation level expiring's with draft assets or rookie scale projects attached to CLE as compensation.

The NBA isn't going to care if we sit players other than maybe Kevin Love. Yes, trolls on the general board will gripe about it, but it's not going to hurt the TV ratings or ticket sales if Tristan, Clarkson, and Knight are benched because we'd rather give minutes to Zizic, Garland, Windler, Porter Jr, etc.

But we just don't know what the approach will be ... whether the Cavs decide they do want to showcase the vets, or integrate the rooks more slowly, "make them earn minutes", etc.

To the that extreme no, because the Cavs probably won't be the worst team even if they did that, and they don't get much nat media attn now anyway. but make no mistake the league is very interested in if teams are trying to put a quality team on the floor and despite them having no choice but to overlook situations when key players are injured, they will no longer continue to ignore intentional benching of more qualified players for the sake of player development at the expense of remaining competitive if they have any interest in ending tanking because despite the lack of incentive compared to seasons pre-rule change making tanking less beneficial it is still advantageous for teams who are no contenders to retain draft picks owed to other orgs if protections fall off and regardless of if it seem unimportant , this org will absolutely be committed to retaining their own pick in the 2020 draft at all cost.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#168 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:13 am

Both TT and Clarkson are quality rotation players, in their prime, in a contract year, represented by Klutch, and heading into a F.A. summer where there won't be many good players.

There's going to be a minutes crunch. I don't have an issue with requiring young guys to earn minutes, but that's not the approach the took with Sexton last year.

Best case scenario, TT and Clarkson are the sixth and seventh men off the bench to start the season. I'm just not sure how long that's sustainable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#169 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

To the that extreme no, because the Cavs probably won't be the worst team even if they did that, and they don't get much nat media attn now anyway. but make no mistake the league is very interested in if teams are trying to put a quality team on the floor and despite them having no choice but to overlook situations when key players are injured, they will no longer continue to ignore intentional benching of more qualified players for the sake of player development at the expense of remaining competitive if they have any interest in ending tanking because despite the lack of incentive compared to seasons pre-rule change making tanking less beneficial it is still advantageous for teams who are no contenders to retain draft picks owed to other orgs if protections fall off and regardless of if it seem unimportant , this org will absolutely be committed to retaining their own pick in the 2020 draft at all cost.

Adam Silver seems to lack the attention span to do anything about tanking other than write some memos. I felt last season he was happy to just see how the lottery rule changes played out while multiple team's tanked.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#170 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:15 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Adam Silver seems to lack the attention span to do anything about tanking other than write some memos. I felt last season he was happy to just see how the lottery rule changes played out while multiple team's tanked.

Maybe, but I doubt they will not at least continue to monitor roster behavior with the policing of it to come in the future. They have already tried to micro manage minutes of star players on nat tv games etc.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#171 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:To the that extreme no, because the Cavs probably won't be the worst team even if they did that, and they don't get much nat media attn now anyway. but make no mistake the league is very interested in if teams are trying to put a quality team on the floor and despite them having no choice but to overlook situations when key players are injured, they will no longer continue to ignore intentional benching of more qualified players for the sake of player development at the expense of remaining competitive if they have any interest in ending tanking because despite the lack of incentive compared to seasons pre-rule change making tanking less beneficial it is still advantageous for teams who are no contenders to retain draft picks owed to other orgs if protections fall off and regardless of if it seem unimportant , this org will absolutely be committed to retaining their own pick in the 2020 draft at all cost.

Maybe, but I doubt they will not at least continue to monitor roster behavior with the policing of it to come in the future. They have already tried to micro manage minutes of star players on nat tv games etc.

We're kind of lacking in both those departments, hence why I expect whatever the Cavs do will fly under the radar.

Not to mention, I'm not going to buy league pass this year so I can watch a bunch of vets try to earn their next contract ... the main attraction for me are our young players and hopefully watching them develop.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#172 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We're kind of lacking in both those departments, hence why I expect whatever the Cavs do will fly under the radar.

Not to mention, I'm not going to buy league pass this year so I can watch a bunch of vets try to earn their next contract ... the main attraction for me are our young players and hopefully watching them develop.

yeah in the early stages of rebuilding basketball when teams are still holding contracts of players not part of the future the interest level is low. I will say I think the front office is not at all as interested in losing all the players they have acquired through trades just because they are not super young. I mean Clarkson,TT and Henson are all young enough still to be considered part of this front office's plan even though most fans would not approve. TT is the most likely to be sent out imo because he is probably not interested in the price cut he would have to take to stay here beyond this season and Nance already has a deal that is reasonable. Henson is one of those players you want to hold onto of they are good with taking a lower price per season. Depends on his feeling about CLE and what type of role he would have here.
JC could easily be moved for value at the DL but I'm not sold this front office will do it for anything less than a mid 1st.I think they would rather offer him a reasonable contract next summer and if he gets more elsewhere so be it.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#173 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Maybe, but I doubt they will not at least continue to monitor roster behavior with the policing of it to come in the future. They have already tried to micro manage minutes of star players on nat tv games etc.

yeah in the early stages of rebuilding basketball when teams are still holding contracts of players not part of the future the interest level is low. I will say I think the front office is not at all as interested in losing all the players they have acquired through trades just because they are not super young. I mean Clarkson,TT and Henson are all young enough still to be considered part of this front office's plan even though most fans would not approve. TT is the most likely to be sent out imo because he is probably not interested in the price cut he would have to take to stay here beyond this season and Nance already has a deal that is reasonable. Henson is one of those players you want to hold onto of they are good with taking a lower price per season. Depends on his feeling about CLE and what type of role he would have here.
JC could easily be moved for value at the DL but I'm not sold this front office will do it for anything less than a mid 1st.I think they would rather offer him a reasonable contract next summer and if he gets more elsewhere so be it.

If/when we see some improvement we should get an idea of who might be worth keeping, but until that happens - I wouldn't rule out a total flush of the vets and some of the younger players. Beilein and Altman will presumably want to put their imprint on the team, and there's still a bunch of holdovers and salary dumps on the team.

We have a roster of flawed players and if there's any magic it's going to come out of how they develop and how they fit.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#174 » by gflem » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:31 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but Silver was just happy to see the Lakers move up to #4 in the draft. However that happened.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#175 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:05 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If/when we see some improvement we should get an idea of who might be worth keeping, but until that happens - I wouldn't rule out a total flush of the vets and some of the younger players. Beilein and Altman will presumably want to put their imprint on the team, and there's still a bunch of holdovers and salary dumps on the team.

We have a roster of flawed players and if there's any magic it's going to come out of how they develop and how they fit.

If they do not end up retaining any of the expiring contract players on reasonable deals, they are going to be putting a pretty bad product on the floor in 20-21 barring some luck in FA. You can't win games w/ 3 lottery picks a veteran big who is injury prone and all under 25 role players. They will just be ATL or worst PHO from last season.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#176 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah in the early stages of rebuilding basketball when teams are still holding contracts of players not part of the future the interest level is low. I will say I think the front office is not at all as interested in losing all the players they have acquired through trades just because they are not super young. I mean Clarkson,TT and Henson are all young enough still to be considered part of this front office's plan even though most fans would not approve. TT is the most likely to be sent out imo because he is probably not interested in the price cut he would have to take to stay here beyond this season and Nance already has a deal that is reasonable. Henson is one of those players you want to hold onto of they are good with taking a lower price per season. Depends on his feeling about CLE and what type of role he would have here.

If they do not end up retaining any of the expiring contract players on reasonable deals, they are going to be putting a pretty bad product on the floor in 20-21 barring some luck in FA. You can't win games w/ 3 lottery picks a veteran big who is injury prone and all under 25 role players. They will just be ATL or worst PHO from last season.

I think the only likely resignings of expiring/RFAs are Delly & Osman.

Also looking at some youtube videos i think beilein would love Deni Avdija
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by jbk1234 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Please no on Delly. I like the guy as a person but I'd rather have the roster spot.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#178 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:If they do not end up retaining any of the expiring contract players on reasonable deals, they are going to be putting a pretty bad product on the floor in 20-21 barring some luck in FA. You can't win games w/ 3 lottery picks a veteran big who is injury prone and all under 25 role players. They will just be ATL or worst PHO from last season.

Please no on Delly. I like the guy as a person but I'd rather have the roster spot.

I think defense and just the fan support is why they keep Delly around. Oh and him being vet min, or pretty close to it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#179 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think defense and just the fan support is why they keep Delly around. Oh and him being vet min, or pretty close to it.

IDK, he might move on tbh
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I'm just saying that Rudy would've been a very different movie if instead of ending it when they did, he was drafted by the Browns, was paid five times his market value, and took up a roster spot for half a decade because he was a fan favorite.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers