ImageImageImageImage

Trade Vucevic poll

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Should we trade Nikola Vucevic

Trade Vucevic before trade deadline.
52%
Try to sign him to a new contract.
46%
Let him walk in free agency.
2%

Total votes: 91

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Trade Vucevic poll 

Post#1 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 4, 2019 8:57 pm

Just curious how everyone feels.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,780

Re: Trade Vucevic poll 

Post#2 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:28 pm

It won't happen, but I'd trade him for as little as an expiring contract and a 2nd round pick. Would prefer more of course, but I'm just saying. I don't want to re-sign him.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#3 » by Skin » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:34 pm

Trade him now.

Why?

1. He's Fool's Gold.
2. He very well could leave in FA.
3. If he stays, we will regret resigning him for that amount.
4. He will become untradeable in his next deal.
5. His trade value has never been higher.
6. We will continue to be stuck in abyss with him.
7. We need a new direction and youth movement.
8. If we can get a late 1st rounder, that's fair. Just don't take on a bad contract that lasts over 2 years.
9. If we trade him, Fournier might do us a favor and force a trade.
10. Our development of another Center is completed. It's time for him to be enjoyed by another team. Now onto Bamba.

"If you love him, let him go."
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,506

Post#4 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:35 pm

WeHam sits down with Adam Silver to re-write the qualification rules for a supermax contract so that our lord and savior Sir Vuc can be properly rewarded?

No? Not even a little bit funny?
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#5 » by bargnanimvp » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't think he'll have much value, one deal was KCP and a late first from lakers. In that case i also see bamba as not ready so i'd be trying to sign Vuc for a 3 year kind of deal, in his last year he'd be an expiring easy guy to trade if needed so really it's 2 years of him.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#6 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm trading him for a 1st round pick. If not, let him walk.
Trade for Jarret Allen
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#7 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:06 pm

If AD gets traded to LA that would mean Zubac is likely in the deal.. I'd call LA and offer up KCP + lakers 1st for Vuc.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,334

Post#8 » by MagicMadness » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:13 pm

If we can sign him to a reasonable 3-year deal, I'd be comfortable with that.

They better find out quick what he and his agent are expecting this summer...
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Post#9 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:26 pm

Long term makes more sense to trade him. If the offer exists....
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#10 » by BCS » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:21 pm

If there is a good deal for him, trade him.
If we can resign him to a friendly deal, resign him and trade him once Bamba starts to show good improvement. Hopefully next year once he becomes eligible to be traded. :D
If neither of these, just let him go.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,991

Post#11 » by Xatticus » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:26 pm

If you can't trade him now, you can't trade him. He will be exceedingly difficult to move under his next contract unless he improves demonstrably.

His shooting metrics have been steadily dropping since his hot start and I'm not at all convinced that he is anything other than what he has been for the majority of his tenure here; albeit with better passing and increased usage. I suspect he started the season intent on impressing his new coach and motivated for his next contract, but as the season has progressed he has settled for more and more mid-range jumpers.

He will always be a liability at the defensive end against any team that can force switches or has a solid pick-and-roll five. Indiana bludgeoned us with pick-and-rolls or pick-and-pops any time Turner was on the floor the other night. You can only expect to see more of that in the playoffs, so I think his role on a playoff team would be situational. I think Vucevic's best chance at on court success is by landing in a spot that accentuates his passing and has a very strong defensive point guard.

As for us, I don't see how we can build a competitive team if we re-sign Vucevic for big money this off-season. I think we top out at mediocrity; which I suppose is an improvement over where we have been since we traded Howard. We don't have enough youth that we can expect dramatic improvement via internal development and we aren't selecting high enough to expect a transcendent talent to fall into our laps. We could get lucky in the lottery or hit a home run in the draft, but that is relying on chance.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#12 » by BadHombre » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:34 pm

If management choose to resign him then they need a much wider avenue for adding supporting talent without compromising the long term. $16M in cap space for a PG won’t get you much in this market I can’t imagine, and it will come at the expense of Ross.

Otherwise they’ll be condemning us to the same results year in and year out. 2020 doesn’t look to have much on offer as far as FAs go, and that’s when most of our cap space will come in. Vuc’s emergence this season has kind of screwed the window they were likely looking to work with.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#13 » by nicnac215 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:40 pm

Offer vuc the same contract you gave AG
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,960

Post#14 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:24 am

I'd resign him to a 2 or 3 year deal if he'd take that.

The return they would get for him in a trade doesn't seem like it would be very much given his impending free agency.

I'm just not too interested in Caldwell-Pope's expiring and something like the 19th overall pick in the draft.

If they could get KCP, LA's 1st *and* one of the Lakers' a young guy, I'd be more interested.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,328

Post#15 » by MagicMatic » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:28 am

Xatticus wrote:If you can't trade him now, you can't trade him. He will be exceedingly difficult to move under his next contract unless he improves demonstrably.

His shooting metrics have been steadily dropping since his hot start and I'm not at all convinced that he is anything other than what he has been for the majority of his tenure here; albeit with better passing and increased usage. I suspect he started the season intent on impressing his new coach and motivated for his next contract, but as the season has progressed he has settled for more and more mid-range jumpers.

He will always be a liability at the defensive end against any team that can force switches or has a solid pick-and-roll five. Indiana bludgeoned us with pick-and-rolls or pick-and-pops any time Turner was on the floor the other night. You can only expect to see more of that in the playoffs, so I think his role on a playoff team would be situational. I think Vucevic's best chance at on court success is by landing in a spot that accentuates his passing and has a very strong defensive point guard.

As for us, I don't see how we can build a competitive team if we re-sign Vucevic for big money this off-season. I think we top out at mediocrity; which I suppose is an improvement over where we have been since we traded Howard. We don't have enough youth that we can expect dramatic improvement via internal development and we aren't selecting high enough to expect a transcendent talent to fall into our laps. We could get lucky in the lottery or hit a home run in the draft, but that is relying on chance.

100%. Resigning him would be delaying the inevitable. There isn’t enough trade value in the other players to expect impactful roster changes down the road. We would be locking ourselves into the same roster and plan until he is moved.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:28 am

I can't believe half has voted for option B. It's A all the way. Trade now.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#17 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:32 am

I'm fine with dealing Vuc if the deal is right.

But flipping him for an expiring contract they won't resign and a draft pick in the late teens/early 20s doesn't really do much for the organization positively either.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#18 » by MoMM » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:35 am

Nemesis21 wrote:I can't believe half has voted for option B. It's A all the way. Trade now.

I can't believe half has voted for option A. It's B all the way. Re-sign him now.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#19 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:49 am

Xatticus wrote:His shooting metrics have been steadily dropping since his hot start and I'm not at all convinced that he is anything other than what he has been for the majority of his tenure here; albeit with better passing and increased usage. I suspect he started the season intent on impressing his new coach and motivated for his next contract, but as the season has progressed he has settled for more and more mid-range jumpers.

This isn't really factual.

January was Vucevic's best full 3PT shooting month of the season.

FG% by Month
Nov: .547
Dec: .485
Jan: .505

3PT% by Month
Nov: .364
Dec: .325
Jan: .380

His shooting definitely dipped in December, but don't forget that he also rolled his ankle pretty good in the middle of the month and probably came back a little bit too early from that, only missing one game. In the first three games after he came back, he only shot 41% from the floor and 27% from three which hurt his numbers for the month pretty well.

Once he got past that injury, he had a really strong January. And he's still only shooting a career low 13% of his shot attempts from 16-23 feet.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#20 » by OrlandO » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:52 am

Xatticus wrote:I suspect he started the season intent on impressing his new coach and motivated for his next contract, but as the season has progressed he has settled for more and more mid-range jumpers.

:lol:

October
Midrange FGA/game: 3.57
Paint FGA/game: 8.14

November
Midrange FGA/game: 3.44
Paint FGA/game: 9.69

December
Midrange FGA/game: 3.33
Paint FGA/game: 9.83

January
Midrange FGA/game: 3.75