ImageImageImageImage

What should Orlando do with Vuc?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What to do with Vuc after the season?

Sign him at all cost
19%
Sign him only for the right price
46%
Let him walk it is time to let Me Bamba grow
20%
Try to sign and trade him
10%
Sign Vuc and trade Mo Bamba
4%

Total votes: 125

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Re: What should Orlando do with Vuc? 

Post#221 » by Furinkazan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Take him behind the barn?
You guys laughed when last summer I said we will re sign him and I fear that’s what will happen.I actually think we will be trading Bamba with our pick to move up in the draft or trade for some established player with that package plus fillers.Thats what will happen imo.I hope I’m wrong but so far I rarely seem to be mistaken.
Not Sure
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#222 » by Not Sure » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 am

Vuc is a good regular season player but he folds when it gets physical. He got out muscled and taken out of the game in the playoffs. Time to move on.
What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#223 » by simon24 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 am

I'd do 3 years 90 mil (player option 3rd year). Vuc would be able to sign 35 percent max in 2 years. Gives Bamba time to develop and Vuc could be a good short term insurance policy incase Bamba doesn't stay healthy and move Vuc when Bamba's ready.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#224 » by npiper17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am

I’d be willing to go to 3 years for Vuc with the 3rd year being a team option. Happy to overpay for the first 2 years because (a) we don’t have cap space anyway unless we waive all RFAs and stretch Moz and even then the type of player we’d want would not come to such a depleted roster and (b) the 2020 FA class is not good.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#225 » by pepe1991 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 am

Man i can't wait saturday to see how will Embiid face Gasol, with pedigree of "best big in the world". His trackrecord vs Gasol is pretty similar to Vuc playoff "performance".
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#226 » by SOUL » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Man i can't wait saturday to see how will Embiid face Gasol, with pedigree of "best big in the world". His trackrecord vs Gasol is pretty similar to Vuc playoff "performance".

Two big things will be if Embiid's outside shot is hitting (Vuc's wasn't) and being able to use his strength and physicality to get to the line. Close to a 10 FTA a game guy.. both of those things will help if basic offense is taken away.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#227 » by pepe1991 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:17 pm

SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Man i can't wait saturday to see how will Embiid face Gasol, with pedigree of "best big in the world". His trackrecord vs Gasol is pretty similar to Vuc playoff "performance".

Two big things will be if Embiid's outside shot is hitting (Vuc's wasn't) and being able to use his strength and physicality to get to the line. Close to a 10 FTA a game guy.. both of those things will help if basic offense is taken away.

Embiid was pretty terrible against Gasol in past.
I'm leaning toward Toronto in 5 more i think about matchups.
There is nothing that 76ers do better than Raptors imo

Really looking forward to see how it will play out.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#228 » by Last Guardian » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm

We snuck into the playoffs one season out of 8 with Vuc. Lets get real, time to move on. If we get worse, we get worse. It was also a contract season, most definitely next season he will take a step back anyway, we'll miss the playoffs while paying him the max. Not worth it. Franchise hopefully thinks logically and doesn't cling to a 42-40 season. We need to get bigger, tougher and more skilled. Not keep the players that made us losers since Dwight left.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#229 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Last Guardian wrote:We snuck into the playoffs one season out of 8 with Vuc. Lets get real, time to move on. If we get worse, we get worse. It was also a contract season, most definitely next season he will take a step back anyway, we'll miss the playoffs while paying him the max. Not worth it. Franchise hopefully thinks logically and doesn't cling to a 42-40 season. We need to get bigger, tougher and more skilled. Not keep the players that made us losers since Dwight left.

Because he's been here the entire time does not make him the problem. Can't just boil it down to that. I guess boogie was a crappy player too in sacramento. (p.s. not insinuating that a team should built around him either lol)

I just think there is a lot more to the complexity of it all. boiling it down to something like that leads to some rash decisions.

Yup... led us to a 42-40 season and squeaked into the playoffs.... but running the gambit and maturing as a team with a coach that is putting his players in a better position to succeed. If they played like that the entire season this would be a 50+ team.

Bigger than vuc? more skilled than vuc? hmmmmmmm

tougher I can see... lol.... but 2/3...you can't have it all sometimes.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#230 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

If it makes sense financially, I'm all for bringing him back. A year ago I would have never dreamed I'd be saying such a thing. I do feel a split on the horizon though.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#231 » by p0peye » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm

I like our center rotation with Vuc/Birch/Bamba going forward. But I'd be willing to sign Vuc up to 3 years, with declining salary starting at 25M. Anything more and he can walk, which will be outcome in July, IMO.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#232 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:26 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253525/Magic-Call-Re-Signing-Nikola-Vucevic-A-Priority

Nikola Vucevic had a career season in his walk year before free agency. The Orlando Magic would like to bring him back next season, but Jeff Weltman conceded there will be interest in Vucevic from rival teams.
“Bringing Vooch back is a priority,” Weltman said. “That being said, Vooch is going to have a lot of teams who will make him a priority for them, too. We will meet with his representatives at the appropriate time.
“Hopefully we can get something done. It’s the NBA, and I always say there’s a lot of real estate between the intentions and what gets done.”
Vucevic will take a wait-and-see approach.
“Obviously I’ve had a great seven years here, but at the same time, we’ll see what happens,” Vucevic said. “It’s a mutual decision, and it’s not just me. They have to decide what they want to do. Based on that, we’ll go from there.
“I wish I knew what would happen. I wish I had a contract in hand. It would be all over right now.”

We'll see where this all leads!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#233 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253525/Magic-Call-Re-Signing-Nikola-Vucevic-A-Priority

Nikola Vucevic had a career season in his walk year before free agency. The Orlando Magic would like to bring him back next season, but Jeff Weltman conceded there will be interest in Vucevic from rival teams.
“Bringing Vooch back is a priority,” Weltman said. “That being said, Vooch is going to have a lot of teams who will make him a priority for them, too. We will meet with his representatives at the appropriate time.
“Hopefully we can get something done. It’s the NBA, and I always say there’s a lot of real estate between the intentions and what gets done.”
Vucevic will take a wait-and-see approach.
“Obviously I’ve had a great seven years here, but at the same time, we’ll see what happens,” Vucevic said. “It’s a mutual decision, and it’s not just me. They have to decide what they want to do. Based on that, we’ll go from there.
“I wish I knew what would happen. I wish I had a contract in hand. It would be all over right now.”

We'll see where this all leads!

Vooch will be back, book it!!! He is a priority!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#234 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:19 pm

woosah wrote:
Dmagic wrote:Let vooch go but he may stay realizing the market won't overpay but either way we should pay max to Julius randle .

I like Randle, but NAH.

Na with a Max. I agree but I believe he would fit so good . A marc gasol stole vooch soul like what! Do sump! Vooch was so killed. I doubt he recovers. No toughness in this circumstance. He looked like a fifth grader . He just soft. Too soft tooooooo soft
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#235 » by KillMonger » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Those who want vuc gone please let me know who you have in mind to replace him? I've seen DeAndre Jordan, Kanter and frickin brook Lopez of all people.......yeah..... What else you got, I'm at work and can't look it up at the moment so is there anyone else out there that makes sense and not those centers in the trash can I just named.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#236 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

If you think Vuc can replicate this season and/or improve, you have to resign him. His VORP was 5.3, meaning we scored 5 more points per game because of him than if we had an average center in his spot.
That is equal to 14 wins over replacement. Basically, we would have won 28 games if an average center was playing instead of Vuc, all other things being equal.

That brings up a good point, all other things won't be equal after the development of current players that come back and the acquiring of replacement players. But, can you replace 14 wins with ~20 million in salary space we may have? You probably could on paper, but it's a free market, you've got 30 teams trying to get guys and finding replacements for that many wins and points will be hard.

If you think that Vuc will float back towards his career averages, something like 2.5 to 3 VORP, then you are only looking to replace 6 or 7 wins and a few ppgs. Not that hard. I think it all comes down to how much of a fluke if any you think this season for him (not counting the playoffs).
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#237 » by swarlesbarkley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:04 am

Offer him 2 years / 36 million or 15 million a year for anything longer. If someone else pays him more, good for him and good for us.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#238 » by KillMonger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:17 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:Offer him 2 years / 36 million or 15 million a year for anything longer. If someone else pays him more, good for him and good for us.

bro, stop with the hyperbole you know damn well that's not a fair deal...no gm would tender that offer, that's a joke offer considering the production playoffs or not. He'll get paid pretty close to what he's worth, no one is going to overpay for vuc he'll get a fair offer from us whether some of us like it or not.

(tangent) I keep seeing some people say "let vuc walk and sure we'll take a step back to take two forward" yeah....if taking a step back means another rebuild then i really have to question the direction of the franchise, we have to build on what we have now that we finally got SOMETHING going instead of being in the lottery every single year without fail. Give Vuc a fair deal, that is structured in a way that down the line it'll be tradeable if and when Bamba is ready to take over which is definitely not now or for the near future i think bamba is at least 2 years away.

I believe the FO has full autonomy to make these decisions however i doubt that ownership would be cool with "taking a step back" after finally seeing life around the amway arena, playoffs are great for business and at this point that's the direction we should be trending in.....we didn't rebuild correctly, that much is clear but at some point you have to get out from underwater man...7 years....i'm done with "taking a step back"
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#239 » by woosah » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:45 am

Dmagic wrote:
woosah wrote:
Dmagic wrote:Let vooch go but he may stay realizing the market won't overpay but either way we should pay max to Julius randle .

I like Randle, but NAH.

Na with a Max. I agree but I believe he would fit so good . A marc gasol stole vooch soul like what! Do sump! Vooch was so killed. I doubt he recovers. No toughness in this circumstance. He looked like a fifth grader . He just soft. Too soft tooooooo soft

Welllll, Randle is a bull on offense but that's it. Defense? swiss cheese. Not tough. Not stopping anyone. LOST. He's better as a 6th man tbh. He's also kind of selfish (if you pass to him you are not getting the ball back). Vuc is more skilled actually and better all around imo. Gasol may have schooled him this time but he'll be back.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#240 » by drsd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:30 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:Offer him 2 years / 36 million or 15 million a year for anything longer. If someone else pays him more, good for him and good for us.

Vučević's salary next year will be well north of 20M.

Return to Orlando Magic