ImageImageImage

BOOM SMITH MARKET

Moderator: ijspeelman

What offers seems like the Cavs end sum from Smiths grandfathered deal in a trade

Future lottery protected first,2019 high 2nd, 1 badly injured fringe starter,1 rotation level vet both w/ 2020 expiring's
11%
2019 late first and a rotation player in his prime on a 3+ yr deal
No votes
2019 lottery pick,& end of prime overpaid vet under contract w/ player option 2022
22%
Rookie scale project player of interest ,mid 2nd & 2 rotation level vets w/ 2021 expiring's
No votes
Multiple 2019 2nds and multiple past their prime players w/ 2020 team options or expiring's
No votes
2019 pick 15-20 range ,starter wage but 2nd unit level player under contract 3+ yrs + 2020 expiring fillers
33%
2019 high 2nd,1 under 25 player who has under performed needs new team/2020 expiring fillers
No votes
Something more
11%
Something less
11%
other
11%

Total votes: 9

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,388

Re: BOOM SMITH MARKET 

Post#61 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm fine with this result. No trade is better than a bad trade. We've got $58M in expiring contracts. Sit back and wait for other teams to call once their off season expectations don't match their on the court results. Cavs traded with a gun to their heads for 4 years while contending. It will be nice to be the team that can sit back and do nothing unless we get the generous offers

JR's contract was at it's most valuable when it was the only way left for one of these teams to free up cap space to make a big move, but we never got to the point. Other teams had open cap space and trade exceptions which are all preferable to taking on the guaranteed part of JR's contract.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,154

Post#62 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm fine with this result. No trade is better than a bad trade. We've got $58M in expiring contracts. Sit back and wait for other teams to call once their off season expectations don't match their on the court results. Cavs traded with a gun to their heads for 4 years while contending. It will be nice to be the team that can sit back and do nothing unless we get the generous offers

JR's contract was at it's most valuable when it was the only way left for one of these teams to free up cap space to make a big move, but we never got to the point. Other teams had open cap space and trade exceptions which are all preferable to taking on the guaranteed part of JR's contract.

I don't think the Magic wanted to stretch/waive Mozgov. They probably balked at the Cavs asking price. I suspect the Cavs had conversations with the Thunder and Heat as well. Windhorst reported that the two sides couldn't agree on who should compensate the the *third party* for eating salary in the Westbrook talks.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,388

Post#63 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I don't think the Magic wanted to stretch/waive Mozgov. They probably balked at the Cavs asking price. I suspect the Cavs had conversations with the Thunder and Heat as well. Windhorst reported that the two sides couldn't agree on who should compensate the the *third party* for eating salary in the Westbrook talks.

Yeah, I don't think those were the sort of high-leverage desperate situations we needed to get the sort of payoff we wanted for JR.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers