Do NBA players have way more tattoos these days?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,898

Re: Do NBA players have way more tattoos these days? 

Post#21 » by No-more-rings » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:17 pm

It’s not just nba players, it’s more people everywhere. I think they’re pointless but it is what it is.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,779

Post#22 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:18 pm

dynamic duo wrote:curry if he doesn't win his first finals mvp this year.
Spoiler:

porzingis if he goes to jail.
Spoiler:

westbrook if he doesn't average triple-double next year.
Spoiler:

booker if he doesn't make the playoffs next year.
Spoiler:

I will never forgive you for putting Curry's face on Monta's body.

You have made the list.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#23 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:
It's quite common for employers to make their employees cover up visible tattoos

Ya if they feel like it is a negative look for their image. The NBA clearly doesn't think its a negative look. I can see why high end businesses don't like that image, they like more of the "square" look. They like the clean cut businessman attire because they want other companies that they either trade with or invest in them to see a clean businessman look. The NBA understands that their players having tattoos doesn't hurt their image because the vast majority of their demographic either has tattoos or don't care about tattoos.

I'm not so sure it doesn't hurt their image. Look at all the empty seats you see during the regular season, even when good teams are playing.

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/12/nba-breaks-attendance-record-fourth-straight-year

It doesn't look like the NBA has any attendance issues at the moment. I understand that is from last year, but its not like we saw a massive bump in tattoos in the NBA this year.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,910

Post#24 » by Damkac » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Tattos are idiotic in my opinion and I hope this stupid trend will end soon. But it's their bodies not mine so they can do what they want with it.
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#25 » by gpoon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:54 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:Isn't it the same with the population in general? I think a politician here in Germany said, that one third of the 18-30 year old population has a tattoo. I bet in 10-20 years you could stand out more if you have no tattoos on your body than those with tattoos

Maybe. But there a big difference between a few tattoos and covering your entire upper body like a lot of these guys do.

I just think about how that’s going to look when dudes are in their 40s, 50s, 60s and older...I dunno man.

And why do you care how another man is going to look in their 40s, 50s, and 60s? If you don’t like it don’t get any pretty simple?
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#26 » by Percentsign » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Yes, players today have more tattoos. Same with the general population. People have more tattoos.

In NBA, it’s more noticeable because they wear shorts and sleeveless jerseys. In NFL, MLB, and NHL, the uniforms cover the tattoos. NBA isn’t so much worse than the others in terms of tattoos.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#27 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:
It's quite common for employers to make their employees cover up visible tattoos

Ya if they feel like it is a negative look for their image. The NBA clearly doesn't think its a negative look. I can see why high end businesses don't like that image, they like more of the "square" look. They like the clean cut businessman attire because they want other companies that they either trade with or invest in them to see a clean businessman look. The NBA understands that their players having tattoos doesn't hurt their image because the vast majority of their demographic either has tattoos or don't care about tattoos.

I'm not so sure it doesn't hurt their image. Look at all the empty seats you see during the regular season, even when good teams are playing.

Exactly. I was about to purchase tickets to a game and then I had a change of heart after a pal told me about their visible tattoos. I had always just thought it was distortion from my television set. Oh, how I wish I could return to my days of naivete.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,079

Post#28 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:53 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:
Prince187 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Exactly. I was about to purchase tickets to a game and then I had a change of heart after a pal told me about their visible tattoos. I had always just thought it was distortion from my television set. Oh, how I wish I could return to my days of naivete.

A couple of the players even used swear words. I won't be returning to an NBA game.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,596

Post#29 » by og15 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 pm

People in general have way more tattoos these days. Tattoos have become more mainstream, it's possible the trend will change and there will be a lot of people with regrets who got them because it was the thing to do, but that's life, you make decisions and you deal with them.

Stern also likely wouldn't do anything about it now because it isn't seen as taboo or different like it used to be. Tattoos are seen more as cool and a thing to do by a lot of people now, so the stigma from even just the early 2000's is no longer around.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,108

Post#30 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 pm

LascelleL wrote:Stern was being racist with that "Clean up our image" ****
Prince187 wrote:Is it me or do players have way more tattoos now than ever before? I'm not just talking about older eras like the 60s and 70s but I started watching in the late 90s and it was nothing like this. Not even the 2000s and the first part half of the 2010s. There used to be players with tattoos but it was just like one or two small tattoos. But nowadays players are getting their entire arms tatted up where you can barely see their skin, tattooing their necks and upper chest areas too. It seems like the majority of players have tats. I find it pretty gross and distasteful. There's no chance Silver would do anything about it but I bet Stern would have, and I would too. Remember the dress code that Stern implemented to clean up the image of the league, what's the point if the players are going to look like that on the court?

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app

I don't think stern was the guy calling them the Jail Blazers.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#31 » by jwise44 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:01 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
dynamic duo wrote:curry if he doesn't win his first finals mvp this year.
Spoiler:

porzingis if he goes to jail.
Spoiler:

westbrook if he doesn't average triple-double next year.
Spoiler:

booker if he doesn't make the playoffs next year.
Spoiler:

I will never forgive you for putting Curry's face on Monta's body.

You have made the list.

I know Porzingis is birdman and Westbrook is jr Smith...now I know curry is monta

Who is booker?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,301

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:02 pm

im a tattoo guy myself but some people are doing wayyyyyyy too much with them. some just look really bad and gross like Wilson Chandler's
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,300

Post#33 » by Lalouie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:02 pm

everybody does. it's just that nba players have more skin than we do
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,108

Post#34 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Personally, I think it looks horrible and it's absolutely jarring the amount (and the likely cost...seriously there are college players from middle class families with 10k in ink on them) that college players already have. That said...the nba doesn't seem overly concerned about making in roads with the demographic that sees tatoos and thinks the players are whatever it is people think about tatoos. So I'm not sure it matters. I certainly am not going to stop watching sports because the players do something to their bodies that I think is stupid. It's their body, not mine.

That said you show up for a job interview with a neck tatoo, I'm not hiring you.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#35 » by 316Hornets » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Yeah, probably just helps them attract sexual partners or something. Women like pictures, right? I personally find it to be a little too feminine for my taste, but can understand why guys do it.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,092

Post#36 » by Sofia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Prince187 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:

lol wut
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,092

Post#37 » by Sofia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 am

I heard Howard Mass has over 30 tattoos :gossip:
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Adamski23
Freshman
And1: 94

Post#38 » by Adamski23 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:16 am

I don’t think it affects the product much. But it’s trendy and is becoming the norm. I just realized that I’m the only one out of my group of friends that does not have a tattoo. Crazy
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,626

Post#39 » by cjx » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:34 am

The next President of the US should have a face tattoo, it's what's best for the world, you know what it is, folks!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#40 » by fianchetto » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 am

It baffles me how many people care what other people do that doesn't hurt/affect anyone else. Live your lives and stop complaining about everything.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”

Return to The General Board