Image ImageImage Image

NBA FA Signings / Available players

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Re: NBA FA Signings / Available players 

Post#801 » by dice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 am

panthermark wrote:I don't know what Paxson was thinking with Ronnie Brewer. I never understood that signing. It is like Paxson looked at his FG% and said "oh, this guy is great!"....Brewer was no where near as effective here as he was in Utah. You could see that coming a mile away.

his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.
but pax wasn't thinking about that so much as he was thinking about defense. and if brewer was expected to be as impactful offensively as he had been in prior seasons he wouldn't have been available for the money that he was signed for

obviously wes matthews would have been the better signing in retrospect, but he was an undrafted player coming off a not particularly notable rookie season
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
KeithBoothfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 198

Post#802 » by KeithBoothfan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 am

dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:I don't know what Paxson was thinking with Ronnie Brewer. I never understood that signing. It is like Paxson looked at his FG% and said "oh, this guy is great!"....Brewer was no where near as effective here as he was in Utah. You could see that coming a mile away.

his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.
but pax wasn't thinking about that so much as he was thinking about defense. and if brewer was expected to be as impactful offensively as he had been in prior seasons he wouldn't have been available for the money that he was signed for

obviously wes matthews would have been the better signing in retrospect, but he was an undrafted player coming off a not particularly notable rookie season

Also, JJ Redick was Pax's first choice to man the SG spot (edit - other than Wade or Joe Johnson, at least) - they gave him an offer sheet that seemed like a fairly big overpay to try to pry him away from Orlando, but they matched anyway. JJ's defense might have driven Thibs batty at times, but he would have been better than anyone we ended up playing there. In the hindsight of the Jazz kinda surprisingly not matching the offer sheet to Matthews at a salary the Bulls could have offered, he would have been the best choice of the available options, but Redick was a good choice too.
Can I borrow a feeling?

Care for a ViciousFlogging? I'm your guy!
dice
RealGM

Post#803 » by dice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 am

KeithBoothfan wrote:
dice wrote:

Also, JJ Redick was Pax's first choice to man the SG spot (edit - other than Wade or Joe Johnson, at least) - they gave him an offer sheet that seemed like a fairly big overpay to try to pry him away from Orlando, but they matched anyway. JJ's defense might have driven Thibs batty at times, but he would have been better than anyone we ended up playing there. In the hindsight of the Jazz kinda surprisingly not matching the offer sheet to Matthews at a salary the Bulls could have offered, he would have been the best choice of the available options, but Redick was a good choice too.

forgot about that. good call
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#804 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 am

KeithBoothfan wrote:
dice wrote:

I remember that, I was half pissed off and half intrigued when they offered him that contract.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#805 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Guys - Orlando just used up both their 2 way spots on Amile Jefferson and Josh Magette. That means they won't be retaining Daquan Jeffries.

Was a early 2nd on my board and many others rate him. Had a really good Summer League too. Great defender, really strong/athletic, and can shoot. Was 2nd in DPIPM in all of SL.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I really want Jeffries on our other 2 way deal. It's a pity we can't just ditch someone like Felicio or Blakeney and just give him a full spot, straight up. He's good.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#806 » by sco » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:46 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Guys - Orlando just used up both their 2 way spots on Amile Jefferson and Josh Magette. That means they won't be retaining Daquan Jeffries.

Was a early 2nd on my board and many others rate him. Had a really good Summer League too. Great defender, really strong/athletic, and can shoot. Was 2nd in DPIPM in all of SL.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I really want Jeffries on our other 2 way deal. It's a pity we can't just ditch someone like Felicio or Blakeney and just give him a full spot, straight up. He's good.

Yeah, I'm wondering what we do with that 2nd 2-way deal. I read somewhere that Boston was having some difficulty executing on their Tacko Fall contract. I'd totally nab that dude if we could. IDC if already have 4 C's. I think Tacko is gonna be a player in this league.
:clap:
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#807 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:00 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
dice wrote:were all the other GMs/coaches ignorant and foolish to not trade more than second round picks for j.r.?

That’s not the point. The Bulls already had JR Smith and Paxson dumped him for nothing because he wasn’t “ his kind of guy.” You can’t be that closed minded in this business. Also this being a hard working good citizen stuff is really not as important as Paxson makes it out to be. Finding guys that will help your team win and get to the next level is what is important. If Paxson were the GM in 96 does he pass on Rodman for those same reasons? You can’t maximize your success if you are unwilling to take calculated risks when necessary.

You can not compare adding someone like Rodman to the Bulls when they had estabished alpha leaders like Jordan, Pippen and Jackson. Or when JR had LeBron to crack him into shape. Compares to someone like Rodman or JR being added to a young and impressionable team. You're not making a fair comparision without also factoring in the unique situations of both teams.

That said, I don't disagree that there are situations where calculated risk should be made, and Paxson has shown he can make those types of decisions at times, when he signed Rondo who had his own reputatoins as a prickly player, as well as Ben Wallace. Both failed of sorts, however, let's not act like he only ever brings in only good character guys through and through because he only plays it safe.

GARPAX thinnking.. PASS ON TALENT, Give me the
Aaron Gray, Cameron Bairtoes, Paul Zipser, Erik Murphy, Joeffrey Louvergne, Jerian Grant, Cam Payne & Ryan Arcidiaconos of the basketball world!
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Chitownbulls
General Manager

Post#808 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:03 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
dice wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Paxson just dumped JR Smith for nothing and then in the fall he comes back and drops 30 on them. He could have helped that Bulls team. If he really wanted to trade him at least try to get some value back.

:lol:

NOBODY wanted j.r. smith. he was a #18 pick pick with an attitude problem who lost his starting job to rasual butler in new orleans and then fell out of the lineup entirely. getting 2 second rounders for a former #18 pick who was looking like he might wash out of the league was hardly a poor return. and you wanted us to keep him to play for SCOTT SKILES? i think not

What a ridiculous take.

Yet he ended up being a good player in DEN and helped CLE win a chip.

But I guess that exciting 07/08 Bulls season was far better than having a good player.

Skiles and Pax were both idiots.

I’m not saying they should’ve coddled and treated JR, but atleast give the guy a chance. See if the “good culture” guys can help him, or if the bigger market change of scenery helps. Don’t dump him for air.

This is exactly what people mean when they say "Chicago has poor leadership"

They are WEAK MINDED, got to be a "good ol boy" to play here!
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Chitownbulls
General Manager

Post#809 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Am2626 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
That’s not the point. The Bulls already had JR Smith and Paxson dumped him for nothing because he wasn’t “ his kind of guy.” You can’t be that closed minded in this business. Also this being a hard working good citizen stuff is really not as important as Paxson makes it out to be. Finding guys that will help your team win and get to the next level is what is important. If Paxson were the GM in 96 does he pass on Rodman for those same reasons? You can’t maximize your success if you are unwilling to take calculated risks when necessary.

You can not compare adding someone like Rodman to the Bulls when they had estabished alpha leaders like Jordan, Pippen and Jackson. Or when JR had LeBron to crack him into shape. Compares to someone like Rodman or JR being added to a young and impressionable team. You're not making a fair comparision without also factoring in the unique situations of both teams.

That said, I don't disagree that there are situations where calculated risk should be made, and Paxson has shown he can make those types of decisions at times, when he signed Rondo who had his own reputatoins as a prickly player, as well as Ben Wallace. Both failed of sorts, however, let's not act like he only ever brings in only good character guys through and through because he only plays it safe.

That Bulls team had some vets in Ben Wallace and PJ Brown came over in that trade. I really don’t see JR Smith impacting or affecting guys like Deng, Gordon, or Hinrich. One could argue that a disciplinarian like Skiles was what JR Smith needed to reach his potential at that age. Regardless it was a mistake to dump him like that. At least hold on to him and see what happens. If it doesn’t work then dump him. If it does, then maybe the Bulls have the 2 guard they didn’t have in 2010 when they lost to the Heat in the ECF.

Traded a offensive skilled player just entering his 20s for a washed up, about to retire PJ Brown lol

NOT A GOOD TRADE
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Chitownbulls
General Manager

Post#810 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
KeithBoothfan wrote:
dice wrote:his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.

I remember that, I was half pissed off and half intrigued when they offered him that contract.

Oh man I was pissed lol love JJ but we shouldn't have offered him that type of money.
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Chitownbulls
General Manager

Post#811 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:11 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Guys - Orlando just used up both their 2 way spots on Amile Jefferson and Josh Magette. That means they won't be retaining Daquan Jeffries.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is exactly what I was talking about a couple weeks ago....Bulls locked up their entire roster before summer league started. Before we could even see who will be available, this is lazy general managing. What can we offer these guys? Do we have a 2 way contract still?

This is the type of kid to invest in. Elite Athleticism...now help groom him to be a 3&D player.
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
dice
RealGM

Post#812 » by dice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

GARPAX thinnking.. PASS ON TALENT, Give me the
Aaron Gray, Cameron Bairtoes, Paul Zipser, Erik Murphy, Joeffrey Louvergne, Jerian Grant, Cam Payne & Ryan Arcidiaconos of the basketball world!

you know your argument is failing when you resort to complaining about 2nd round picks, very few of whom ever have serious "talent"

oh, and "talent" is completely meaningless. production is all that matters. gimme mark jackson, brad miller, andre miller and ginobili over kwame, darko, beasley, wiggins, josh smith, darius miles, derrick coleman and "baby jordan" all day
dice
RealGM

Post#813 » by dice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

That Bulls team had some vets in Ben Wallace and PJ Brown came over in that trade. I really don’t see JR Smith impacting or affecting guys like Deng, Gordon, or Hinrich. One could argue that a disciplinarian like Skiles was what JR Smith needed to reach his potential at that age. Regardless it was a mistake to dump him like that. At least hold on to him and see what happens. If it doesn’t work then dump him. If it does, then maybe the Bulls have the 2 guard they didn’t have in 2010 when they lost to the Heat in the ECF.

Traded a offensive skilled player just entering his 20s for a washed up, about to retire PJ Brown lol

you are completely neglecting context lulz

the chandler trade was a salary dump with ben wallace coming in. it wasn't because pax thought that pj brown was the better player. you're only fooling naive rubes with that disingenuous clown argument
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#814 » by MrSparkle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:48 pm

dice wrote:
Chitownbulls wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

the chandler trade was a salary dump with ben wallace coming in. it wasn't because pax thought that pj brown was the better player. you're only fooling naive rubes with that disingenuous clown argument

CLearly Pax made a great player evaluation replacing Chandler’s cap space Ben Wallace.
Chitownbulls
General Manager

Post#815 » by Chitownbulls » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Dallas Mavericks are releasing Giannis Antetokounmpo's brother Kostas....Bulls should sign him! Giannis needs to start thinking about Chicago! Give us a POSSIBLE recruiting tool.
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
dice
RealGM

Post#816 » by dice » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
dice wrote:
Chitownbulls wrote:

CLearly Pax made a great player evaluation replacing Chandler’s cap space Ben Wallace.

way to miss the point. that's an entirely different argument

and ben was initially better than chandler. coming off 4 consecutive DPOYs. nobody could have predicted his meltdown, nor that tyson chandler would have a long and productive career - he himself said that the change of scenery did him a world of good
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#817 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:Dallas Mavericks are releasing Giannis Antetokounmpo's brother Kostas....Bulls should sign him! Giannis needs to start thinking about Chicago! Give us a POSSIBLE recruiting tool.

Toronto is claiming him off waivers per reports.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#818 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:This is exactly what I was talking about a couple weeks ago....Bulls locked up their entire roster before summer league started. Before we could even see who will be available, this is lazy general managing. What can we offer these guys? Do we have a 2 way contract still?

This is the type of kid to invest in. Elite Athleticism...now help groom him to be a 3&D player.

Two things:

1. There is nothing preventing the Bulls from signing him. Roster sizes expand to 20 during the offseason. They could sign him to a training camp deal right now.

2. Daquan Jeffries is still a free agent. Meaning, every team in the NBA has yet to sign "the type of kid you invest in" despite three opportunities to do so: During the draft, after the draft, and after summer league.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#819 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:50 am

sco wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering what we do with that 2nd 2-way deal. I read somewhere that Boston was having some difficulty executing on their Tacko Fall contract. I'd totally nab that dude if we could. IDC if already have 4 C's. I think Tacko is gonna be a player in this league.

Tacko's probably not the worst 2 way pickup in the world, but he doesn't really do anything for me.

Jeffries, however, I'd be absolutely stoked to get.

Chitownbulls wrote:
This is exactly what I was talking about a couple weeks ago....Bulls locked up their entire roster before summer league started. Before we could even see who will be available, this is lazy general managing. What can we offer these guys? Do we have a 2 way contract still?

Yeah we still have a 2 way.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#820 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 am

Also, I know some are getting excited on Kostas Antetekounmpo based on the name value, but he's not really good from everything I've seen. Very limited offensive game basically limited to dunks, and a decent shot blocker, but the skill level is just not really there. There's a reason he was waived. He's nearly 22 now too.

The thing I really like about Jeffries, he's not just toolsy. He has a great feel for the game, plays within his role, sneaky good passer, and an exceptionally smart defensive player. Also, my opinion of him is even higher than before the draft, because in college he was considered as a purely spot up guy, and he flashed some very comfortable off the dribble stuff in SL.

Return to Chicago Bulls