Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Kings Sign Trevor Ariza [Shams] 

Post#41 » by City of Trees » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:52 pm

sackings916 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
How good does signing Shump and paying the difference to overpay Beverly look?
Beverley's people have said he didn't like the role in Sac.

Can't blame Vlade for Bev not wanting to sit behind Fox.

Is this confirmed? I believe Bev can still have a 25-30 min role playing behind and next to Fox.
According to Jason Anderson, yes
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#42 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:24 am

City of Trees wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
You know he played for Hous for 4 years in between. Go take a break haha.
Ariza was moved to Wizards last season after it wasn't working out with Suns

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Both horrible situations not ideal for an older Ariza to thrive in.

His athleticism is on the decline but I think he can find a way to be a productive bench contributor.

People act like NBA players are robots. When you're a veteran guy who has made it deep in the playoffs and won championships and suddenly you find yourself on a team that is going no where do we expect you to give full effort?

In four months we have gone from literally not having a single SF on the roster to having Barnes/Ariza. This is a HUGE win.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#43 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:26 am

Kings2016 wrote:I don’t see that the three moves the Kings have made changes things at this point. Sorry to be negative. Utah got better today, the Lakers will be better, we were 9 games behind the Spurs for the 8 seed. Clippers more than possibly get Kawhi. How do we make the playoffs by resigning Barnes, replacing Cauley-Stein with a very similar level center Dedmon ( only real difference is 3 pt and ft shooting) and a old fading Trevor Ariza. I just have to be honest I don’t see the improvement from the moves. It all hinges on the younger guys Fox, Heild, Bagley getting way better.

You said it yourself. Our two best players are babies. If they don't improve then we're screwed. If we want to go places then those guys need to become top players at their position. I have full confidence in all three of them. If we end up being a winning team, we have three potential All-NBA-level players on the roster. And now we have a nice set of role players around them. Does Utah have that? Spurs? Portland? Houston? OKC? Only GS and they are getting old.

This is as optimistic I've been about a Kings' roster both in the short and long-term in well over a decade. Really, since Webber got injured.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#44 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:30 am

BoogieTime wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:Ariza was moved to Wizards last season after it wasn't working out with Suns

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Both horrible situations not ideal for an older Ariza to thrive in.

His athleticism is on the decline but I think he can find a way to be a productive bench contributor.

But even if he can, I’d like to still be going after the sizeable FAs when you have ~27 mil and a declining cap market, or taking on cap for picks. Assets, rather than vet experience

Name these sizable players we were going to get.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#45 » by Crimson King » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:49 am

This is a massive overpay, IMO.

I like Ariza, but at this stage it reminds me Randolph signing 2.0.

I was perfectly ok with Barnes plus a cheap Brewer, and overpaying for a second tier or third tier free agent.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#46 » by blind prophet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:10 am

Crimson King wrote:This is a massive overpay, IMO.

I was perfectly ok with Barnes plus a cheap Brewer, and overpaying for a second tier or third tier free agent.

Not sure how this reminds you of Randolph. He had two years guaranteed.

We should of used cap to try and get assets back then.

Ariza only has a partial next season. We could still try and get Brewer too, still could use another deep wing option.

We are trying to win now.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#47 » by City of Trees » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:23 am

I didn't watch much of Ariza last season but glancing at his stats he was on par for his career averages.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#48 » by blind prophet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:28 am

City of Trees wrote:I didn't watch much of Ariza last season but glancing at his stats he was on par for his career averages.

Word on the street is he isn't the same man as before.

If he can give us 15 quality minutes a game still it shouldn't be too bad.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#49 » by enderwilson » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:23 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Both horrible situations not ideal for an older Ariza to thrive in.

But even if he can, I’d like to still be going after the sizeable FAs when you have ~27 mil and a declining cap market, or taking on cap for picks. Assets, rather than vet experience

Name these sizable players we were going to get.

And which one of these players would be willing to take a back seat to our current core? Or do we disrupt said core in order to shoehorn in a sizeable FA?

I would of liked to have seen Beverly on the team but the rumor is that he didn't want the role he was being offered here. I have to wonder if we made overtures to other "sizeable FA's" only to get the same reaction.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#50 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:41 pm

blind prophet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I didn't watch much of Ariza last season but glancing at his stats he was on par for his career averages.

Word on the street is he isn't the same man as before.

If he can give us 15 quality minutes a game still it shouldn't be too bad.

I watch a lot of Ariza in the second half of the season. First, he played way too many minutes - he averaged in the mid-30s and there were some games in the high 30s and 40s. He was exhausted. He didn't seem to have his legs and his 3 point shooting suffered. His D definitely wasn't where it was at in his previous tour in Washington. But it wasn't terrible either (and the defensive rebounding and rim protection was terrible).

My "guess". If we can get him down into the sub 20 minute range per night his effectiveness will return. Your thought on 15 minutes a game matches to my ideal range for him as well. I would also like to see Barnes down at 30 minutes a game and no more. I don't like the idea of having Barnes/Ariza play both forward positions together. I think if we can keep them both in this range we have a winner.

But, I am not a coach - and they are paid to win... so, we will see what happens.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#51 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:54 pm

Its a 1 year deal, we had 2 spots to fill. Backup 1 and 3. Its not our money, why save it giving Brewer the minimum instead of spending it on 1 year for Ariza?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#52 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:45 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Its a 1 year deal, we had 2 spots to fill. Backup 1 and 3. Its not our money, why save it giving Brewer the minimum instead of spending it on 1 year for Ariza?

Given our cap - situation and the contract it may have been an overpay. But only in the context of the Warriors deal - and how would an FO know that was going down?

And Ariza can still play - just not big minutes every game.

I would like to know Vlade's thinking on Barnes/Ariza. Possibly it was because there was a dearth of qualified SFs this summer? Maybe he didn't think he could get a trade for a player he wanted? Probably a lot going on there...
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#53 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:57 am

Bump. Should have resigned Brewer

Return to Sacramento Kings