ImageImageImageImageImage

Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser"

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#41 » by deneem4 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:00 am

It’s a good sign when realgm wizards fans don’t know how to curve out the roster because of quality youth and or quality vets
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#42 » by trast66 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:26 am

Seems like we needed an expiring contract to attach to Brad trade.

I don’t recall seeing the guy play but this is a thoughtful analysis https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/6/7/18647616/davis-bertans-needs-to-be-more-than-just-a-shooter-for-the-spurs

Great nickname, needed one to replace Crazy Eyes.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#43 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#44 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:12 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Could Jabari still be a Disable player exception candidate? I have no idea if Mahimi would accept a buyout but would be wise to just waive him?

We don't need an exception for Jabari. We have Bird Rights.

The issue now is the luxtax and roster spots. We currently have a cap number of $128.5M assuming Simmons is cut. That leaves just $4.1M for Jabari. If we waive a guy like Jones, that increases to 5.5M of luxtax room.

I have to say I am impressed by the way you seem to have become convinced by Jabari. I mean convinced that there is some significant likelihood of his improving quite a lot.

I like Jabari, btw, & I definitely think he is a nice guy. This appeared today: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2019/7/6/20684161/jabari-parker-bulls-pointers-breakup-hometown-patient

But... if we waive Jones to give Parker more money... I will cry. Won't be pretty I can tell you! :)

(Truth is, I have no idea why I am so convinced that Jones is going to be a really good player. But, somehow, I have a really high degree of certitude about it! Weird....)

If they were to keep Jabari, Jones' only way to remain on the roster probably would be by waiving McRae. I like McRae as an "instant offense" guy but he might be as useful with IT running the 2nd unit, who would be more complimented by Jones' rebounding and defense than McRae's shot creation and ISO ability. Either way, I'm dubious Jones would get played much by Brooks...he preaches effort, defense and various coach speak, but rarely rewards the players that actually abide by such adages (unless he runs out of vets to run into the ground of course). :nonono:
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#45 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:56 am

Thomas/Smith/Bonga/(Wall)
Beal/Miles/Jones
BrownJr/Schofield
Bertans/Hachimura/Wagner
Bryant/Mahinmi/Pasecniks

The only way I see us keeping Parker is if we can find a taker for Mahinmi, or buy him out I guess. He stayed healthy, and seemed to keep a good attitude with his diminished role. I would think someone would be interested in him for their bench.... Maybe Indy? He was a good player for them.

Beal/Miles/Jones
BrownJr/Schofield
Bertans/Parker/Hachimura
Bryant/Wagner/Pasecniks
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#46 » by Gig18 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:20 am

Tell you what, John's gotta be looking at all these moves and wondering where the hell the push to get shooters was when he was healthy. :) I mean, his forte is speed, court vision and getting others the ball. I never could figure out why the hell Grunfield didn't surround him with guys who could SHOOT. he had Beal and reluctant Otto, but that was about it. Now we've got CJ, Schofield, the Latvian laser!, Mo Wagner. Hell, there's a chance it could be raining threes.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#47 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:26 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Thomas/Smith/Bonga/(Wall)
Beal/Miles/Jones
BrownJr/Schofield
Bertans/Hachimura/Wagner
Bryant/Mahinmi/Pasecniks

The only way I see us keeping Parker is if we can find a taker for Mahinmi, or buy him out I guess. He stayed healthy, and seemed to keep a good attitude with his diminished role. I would think someone would be interested in him for their bench.... Maybe Indy? He was a good player for them.

Beal/Miles/Jones
BrownJr/Schofield
Bertans/Parker/Hachimura
Bryant/Wagner/Pasecniks

I kind of like that second line up. Pasecniks isn’t signed though. He won’t be here.
In Rizzo we trust
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,530

Post#48 » by Rainwater » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:17 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I have no clue what this guy is talking about, they are clearly rebuilding. Most of these guys are on short contracts or are pretty young.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#49 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:37 pm

Rainwater wrote:I have no clue what this guy is talking about, they are clearly rebuilding. Most of these guys are on short contracts or are pretty young.

Basically, Kevin Broom agrees with you. He thinks the Wizards should trade Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#50 » by Dat2U » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:58 pm

This move is okay in a nutshell. Bertans can shoot. Feels like we should have gotten an asset for helping out SA. I don't know if any other team would have absorbed Bertans deal without incentive.

Bertans doesn't really help in the win column but the his advanced numbers are good. However he's light on defense and rebounding... things were light on already so it just compounds the fact we are going to be a miserable rebounding/defensive team with no rim protection.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#51 » by prime1time » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:35 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

How does he know that it's going to be a one year rebuild? Just being logical, is their anything this team can do in one year to compete with the Clippers, Lakers, Rockets and other championship contenders?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#52 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:I have no clue what this guy is talking about, they are clearly rebuilding. Most of these guys are on short contracts or are pretty young.

Basically, Kevin Broom agrees with you. He thinks the Wizards should trade Beal.

And I disagree with him.
1) "Bottoming out": The difference between picking 5/6 and 9/10 for lottery purposes simply doesnt have the same percentages as it used to.
2) Beals Value: Beals peak value for a trade is next summer. Again, and I cant reiterate this enough, Next summer is going to be chaos with how bad the FA class is. Toronto, Memphis, and Knicks have 2 max spots each... and Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, and PHX also have a max spot.

And this doesnt take into account the teams with expirings that would look to make a move... Once people see the cream of the crop is Lowry @ 34, Derozan @ 31, Ibaka @ 31, and Draymond @ 31...they might throw up in their suit jacket.

The best FA under 30 is Otto if he opts out and.... Who knows? Drummond, Van Fleet... lol.... awful
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#53 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:25 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

And I disagree with him.
1) "Bottoming out": The difference between picking 5/6 and 9/10 for lottery purposes simply doesnt have the same percentages as it used to.
2) Beals Value: Beals peak value for a trade is next summer. Again, and I cant reiterate this enough, Next summer is going to be chaos with how bad the FA class is. Toronto, Memphis, and Knicks have 2 max spots each... and Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, and PHX also have a max spot.

And this doesnt take into account the teams with expirings that would look to make a move... Once people see the cream of the crop is Lowry @ 34, Derozan @ 31, Ibaka @ 31, and Draymond @ 31...they might throw up in their suit jacket.

The best FA under 30 is Otto if he opts out and.... Who knows? Drummond, Van Fleet... lol.... awful

Agreed.

To me, the only question that is relevant is: "will Beal resign". If he does, then the decision is easy: rebuild around Beal. Beal is going to be more valuable than anything we get back in a trade. And since Beal is close enough in age to Bryant, Brown, Hachimura, et al, there is no compelling reason to trade him for age reasons.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be open-minded to trading him, one should be open-minded about trading all players. But the odds are remote that we could trade him and bring back a package of players that would help Bryant, Brown and Hachimura win more so than Beal himself would.

If Beal won't resign. Then, obviously, we trade him for the best package we can get. I'd start shopping now, but I agree with you that there's no need to make a panic trade immediately. There are likely to be better opportunities to trade him next summer, or maybe there's a significant unforeseen event that happens during the season that makes Beal a more appealing target.

If Beal refuses to sign an extension by next summer, then I'd probably start lowering my asking price. But not until then.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#54 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

And I disagree with him.

Agreed.

To me, the only question that is relevant is: "will Beal resign". If he does, then the decision is easy: rebuild around Beal. Beal is going to be more valuable than anything we get back in a trade. And since Beal is close enough in age to Bryant, Brown, Hachimura, et al, there is no compelling reason to trade him for age reasons.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be open-minded to trading him, one should be open-minded about trading all players. But the odds are remote that we could trade him and bring back a package of players that would help Bryant, Brown and Hachimura win more so than Beal himself would.

If Beal won't resign. Then, obviously, we trade him for the best package we can get. I'd start shopping now, but I agree with you that there's no need to make a panic trade immediately. There are likely to be better opportunities to trade him next summer, or maybe there's a significant unforeseen event that happens during the season that makes Beal a more appealing target.

If Beal refuses to sign an extension by next summer, then I'd probably start lowering my asking price. But not until then.

Yes on all counts; thanks for such a simple & clear description. &, yes, every player on your team should be available in a trade -- it's just a matter of the deal that's offered.

Beal is the hinge point right now; his decisions change the franchise's path. Now... everything they are doing signals that in fact he has decided to stay the course. But that could change.

On the other hand, if some team came in with an offer ala the Clips trade for Paul George... then we could change.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst

Post#55 » by prime1time » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:39 am

All I can say is wow. I just looked at some of his stuff. Blown away. Didn't understand this trade but now I do. This guy will be worth a 1st round draft pick around the trade deadline. But he's so good, we might not want to give him up. The problem is that you are looking at like 15-20 million a year to keep him.

Knock down 3 point shooter. Can put the ball on the floor and finish at the hoop. Can slide his feet on switches. And he plays within a context of an offense. The difference between a guy like Bertans and a guy like Morris is night and day. You can't leave Bertans. He's a legit floor spacer. And having him will open up space for everyone. This is one of the best moves of the off-season. This guy is Nikola Mirotic but better. Hopefully we are smart and extend him.

prime1time
Analyst

Post#56 » by prime1time » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:29 am

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/6/7/18647616/davis-bertans-needs-to-be-more-than-just-a-shooter-for-the-spurs
Good article about Davis. He did not play in game 6 or 7 vs. the Nuggets. He struggles against teams that have 2 physical scoring big men. So he has value, but his lack of strength limits him to certain roles. With that being the case, his future salary is probably a little lower than what you'd expect.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#57 » by TGW » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:39 pm

prime1time wrote:This guy will be worth a 1st round draft pick around the trade deadline.

c'mon bro... :lol:
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#58 » by truwizfan4evr » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:24 pm

He has that kyle krover type of game, other then running around to get open. He has a sweet stroke from 3. Could of used him in the game 7 vs Boston a few years ago.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#59 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:10 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:He has that kyle krover type of game, other then running around to get open. He has a sweet stroke from 3. Could of used him in the game 7 vs Boston a few years ago.

Wizards had Bojan in 2017 and he only took 2 shots in game 7.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#60 » by montestewart » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am

Kanyewest wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:He has that kyle krover type of game, other then running around to get open. He has a sweet stroke from 3. Could of used him in the game 7 vs Boston a few years ago.

Wizards had Bojan in 2017 and he only took 2 shots in game 7.

Sometimes those money from downtown textbook stroke guys (Mike Miller) play disappearing acts. Very frustrating at crunch time.

Return to Washington Wizards