ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#281 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:00 am

Is this more or less how we'll go into the season? Or... will there be more moves -- & if so, how significant can they be (assuming Beal, Wall & Mahinmi won't or can't be moved)?

We have one more guy under contract than we can keep. Otherwise, how far will/can it be from this:

PG -- Ish Smith, IT, Justin Robinson, Bonga, John Wall (injured)
SG -- Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
SF -- Troy Brown, Admiral Schofield, Jemerrio Jones, C.J. Miles (injured)
PF -- Davis Bertans, Rui Hachimura, Moritz Wagner
C -- Thomas Bryant, Ian Mahinmi

6 of those guys (Bonga, Robinson, Phillip, Schofield, Jones & Hachimura) have effectively zero NBA experience (Jones & Bonga have played 100+ minutes each).

Bryant has played @1500 minutes. Brown logged 730 rookie minutes. McRae played 333 minutes last year & has totaled 900 minutes in 3 years. Wagner managed under 450 rookie minutes.

In all those 10 guys have logged less than 3300 NBA minutes.

Mahinmi, Smith & Miles have played a lot but are bad, & Miles is injured. IT is a major question mark coming off injury. Wall is unlikely to play.

That leaves Beal & Bertans. Beal is Beal. Bertans is a well below average PF. He's an improvement on Kieff, but that's as far as it goes.

I hope we are fun to watch, especially the kids. We are not going to win many games, that's for sure.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#282 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:01 am

DCZards wrote:
It is possible to start to see the formulation of an actual plan developing. With the reconstruction of the roster this offseason, the restructuring of the organization and management team, the unveiling of the new facility last season, the addition of the Go Go...

The objective is to make this a legitimate and viable destination. This is a great city, the nation's Capital, with a knowledgeable fan base and basketball rich tradition and community. Growing the Monumental Sports brand, the ownership group all in to provide the resources, bringing in people like JT III, improving the training and medical team and facilities. Bringing it all together, the Wizards and the current NBA, the young & hungry GoGo, the winning mindset of the Mystics, Alumni coming in to share their experience and knowledge, all under one roof, one umbrella. Really changing the culture of the organization, modernizing the facilities and the technologies available to players coaches and scouts. Adding analytics and data. Build something that emphasizes pride and a winning mentality.

PIF, I agree that the development of players like Rui, Troy, Schofield, etc. are all big “ ifs” and so is the roster status of Bertans and others.

But this first part of superballman’s post is the important part...and is the most significant as far as the future of Monumental Basketball and the Zards are concerned.

Oh, I agree entirely!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#283 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:03 am

Don't get me wrong -- I am happy with what we are doing! It's just gonna be a straaaange team this year is all!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#284 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 am

The only thing that really bothers me is the ish Smith thing! That just doesn't make sense to me. Still not a bad deal it's just odd
payitforward wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I am happy with what we are doing! It's just gonna be a straaaange team this year is all!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#285 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:35 am

gambitx777 wrote:The only thing that really bothers me is the ish Smith thing! That just doesn't make sense to me. Still not a bad deal it's just odd
payitforward wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I am happy with what we are doing! It's just gonna be a straaaange team this year is all!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Do we have confirmation that its guaranteed for the 2nd year?
If so, I have a problem with that.
Wall, Beal, Bryant, Rui, TBJ, Robinson, Admiral, Wagner, and Bonga plus cap hold on draft pick would give us almost 20M in cap space.

If Beal becomes ALL-NBA guard and Wall comes back for the last 15 games, then things get real interesting assuming Rui, Bryant, and Brown impress.
Having 20M with that team and a top 10 pick gives us some options this offseason.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#286 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Say we build a roster along the lines of this...

We get a high draft pick this year, and draft someone like Cole Anthony... Checks the Tommy Sheppard boxes high IQ player, high motor, well coached. PG enabling us to move on from Wall.

Cole Anthony, Robinson, Bonga, Beal, Admiral, TBJ, Rui, Bertans, Wagner, Bryant.

We move Wall and have the cap space.

Does someone like Giannis Antetokounmpo (for example) look here and see he can team up with Beal, and we have supporting cast of Rui, Bryant, TBJ, Anthony, etc. A great city, a strong ownership group, top rate facilities, a great work environment, good coaches and trainers, a fan base desperate for a winner.

I really think this is the plan, or at least it's a preferred option. It's the only explanation for the 2 year Ish Smith contract.

I'm pretty optimistic about much of the plan working out. I really do think that at least two of Bryant, Hachimura, Brown, and our 2020 pick will pan out to be above average starters, if not stars by 2021. I think our team in Summer 2021 will feel much like Sacramento does now: competitive with a very encouraging future.

The hard part is dumping Wall.

I have an trade idea for that. Let's assume Wall comes back in March and plays well in the final 15 games, enough to demonstrate that he is likely to be at least 90% of his old self. Next summer, here is the 3-way trade:

Washington trades: John Wall, 2022 1st
Washington receives: Batum, Cody Zeller

Minnesota trades: Wiggins
Minnesota receives: Wall

Charlotte trades: Zeller, Batum
Charlotte receives: Wiggins, WAS 2022 1st

Why for Minnesota: Teague will be gone next summer and Minnesota will be without a PG. Wall gives them the star PG to pair with KAT. It only costs them the differential between Wall's and Wiggins' salary, which is about $12M a year. That's worth it for the talent and fit upgrade.

Why for Charlotte: Charlotte instantly saves $13M in the transaction by dumping Zeller. That savings plus the Wizards 1st compensate for Wiggins' deal extending 2 years longer than Batum's. Wiggins is still young and helps them with the rebuild.

Why for Washington: Batum and Zeller expire in 2021, giving us about $50M in cap room to find free agents to join a team featuring:

PG 2020 lotto pick
SG Beal
SF Brown
PF Hachimura
C Bryant
Bench: 2021 1st, Schofield and whatever guys pan out among Wagner, Bonga, Jones, Robinson, and our 2020 2nd round pick.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#287 » by Dat2U » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:23 pm

I think were a significant ways from dumping Wall with a draft pick for future cap space. I cannot see any circumstance where the Wizards would be motivated to do so as soon as next offseason.

Its amazing how rosy the outlook has gotten here in such a short amount of time without a second of legit basketball being played lol. Just like old times lol.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#288 » by Dat2U » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
It is possible to start to see the formulation of an actual plan developing. With the reconstruction of the roster this offseason, the restructuring of the organization and management team, the unveiling of the new facility last season, the addition of the Go Go...

The objective is to make this a legitimate and viable destination. This is a great city, the nation's Capital, with a knowledgeable fan base and basketball rich tradition and community. Growing the Monumental Sports brand, the ownership group all in to provide the resources, bringing in people like JT III, improving the training and medical team and facilities. Bringing it all together, the Wizards and the current NBA, the young & hungry GoGo, the winning mindset of the Mystics, Alumni coming in to share their experience and knowledge, all under one roof, one umbrella. Really changing the culture of the organization, modernizing the facilities and the technologies available to players coaches and scouts. Adding analytics and data. Build something that emphasizes pride and a winning mentality.

PIF, I agree that the development of players like Rui, Troy, Schofield, etc. are all big “ ifs” and so is the roster status of Bertans and others.

But this first part of superballman’s post is the important part...and is the most significant as far as the future of Monumental Basketball and the Zards are concerned.

Oh, I agree entirely!

Much of this is good. However selecting the right athletes to bring into your organization is still the most important task.

Here's Shepp's guys so far:

Young guys
1. Rui Hachimura - 1st round pick
2. Admiral Schofield - 2nd round pick
3. Justin Robinson - UDFA
4. Issac Bonga - Lakers trade
5. Moritz Wagner - Lakers trade
6. Garrison Mathews - UDFA/2 way
7. Jermerrio Jones - Lakers trade
8. Tarik Phillip - FA

Vets
1. Davis Bertans - solid vet/expiring contract
2. Ish Smith - marginal vet/2 year deal
3. Isaiah Thomas - vet leader/health ?????
4. C.J. Miles - marginal vet/health ?????

It's been a busy offseason but as the famous saying goes, don't confuse activity with results.

Outside of Hachimura, none of these young guys are guaranteed to even make it to rotation status.

One, just one consequential long term roster piece was added this offseason - Hachimura. I hope for the Wizards sake he lives up to the promise because otherwise we may be in a similar position next offseason if he doesn't show much.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#289 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Dat2U wrote:I think were a significant ways from dumping Wall with a draft pick for future cap space. I cannot see any circumstance where the Wizards would be motivated to do so as soon as next offseason.

Its amazing how rosy the outlook has gotten here in such a short amount of time without a second of legit basketball being played lol. Just like old times lol.

The motivation would be if we have a high draft pick and use it on a PG. Also the premise that you're not a contender in this league unless you have a top 5 tier player, which Wall is not, despite being paid like one. The motivation to move him is to unload the burden his contract puts on us. You can't have Beal and Wall both on this team at their salaries, with neither being a top 5 player. You could have Wall and a top 5, or Beal and a top 5. The only way to have the cap room to add a top 5 via free agency is to move one of them. So it's a choice of Wall or Beal, and the obvious choice at this point would be Brad.

I don't think it's a question of motivation on the Wizards part, it comes down to can they move him? If they can and when they can. First step he has to come back healthy and show he can still play, even then that contract will be hard to move. The motivation to do it as soon as possible is to be able to attract a FA here while Brad is still in his prime, and before you have to start paying big to the younger guys.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM

Post#290 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Dat2U wrote:...selecting the right athletes to bring into your organization is still the most important task.

One slight modification: "selecting the right athletes to bring into your organization" -- given the always limited opportunities you have to add players.

I'm just trying to highlight the criticality of choice under constraint. The constraints, obviously, are 1. opportunities (whether draft picks, tradable assets or whatever else counts), 2. who's already on your roster with a guaranteed salary, & 3. cap/tax room.

Given these constraints...

Dat2U wrote:Here's Shepp's guys so far:

Young guys
8. Tarik Phillip - FA

Vets
9. Davis Bertans - solid vet/expiring contract
10. Ish Smith - marginal vet/2 year deal
11. Isaiah Thomas - vet leader/health ?????
12. C.J. Miles - marginal vet/health ?????

(I've renumbered to create a single list, making it easier to reference).

There's no argument to make with #s 3-8.

a. Robinson's worth a try for his cost.
b. The Lakers trade cost us nothing (& brought a R2 pic in addition to #s 4, 5 & 7). I'd say Bonga & Jones are prospects with reasonably significant potential.
c. Matthews, #6, cost nothing & will cost nothing to let go if needed.
d. Tarik Phillip is un-guaranteed.

Unless there are other prospects as easily & cheaply added who it's reasonable to think have more potential, this looks like quite good work. I would have liked to sign Daquan Jeffries & Dedric Lawson, but we may not have had the option to do so. Anyway, that's just taking a couple of different flyers.

The vets -- Bertans cost us nothing & added an inexpensive rotation-level journeyman. IT is definitely worth the $1.6m long shot bet in my opinion. Miles got rid of Howard. All fine.

So, basically, to me at least, it comes down to looking at two things -- how Tommy handled the draft & the signing of Ish Smith -- as potential ways we may have fallen short of "selecting the right athletes to bring into your organization."

Ish Smith is not a good player. There may have been no one available who was younger, better, & available to us affordably on a 2 year contract. Still, any of Tyus Jones, T.J. McConnell, Ryan Archidiacono, Jerian Grant, or even (dare I say their names) Tim Frazier or Trey Burke would have been cheaper & better than Ish Smith.

As to the draft... I, Dat, & many others have already made ourselves abundantly clear that we would have preferred to trade down rather than take Rui; we've gone over what we'd have liked to do & who we'd have targeted -- no reason to revisit all this. I believe it could have been turned into quite a haul. Especially I didn't like the apparent total focus on Rui to the exclusion of any other players or moves. As to the deal we used to get Admiral Schofield... He's not the guy I would have picked, but he has some chance to be an NBA player. Meh. So...

Dat2U wrote:...as the famous saying goes, don't confuse activity with results.

...may make sense, but don't forget the other famous saying: Rome wasn't built in a day!

& this...
Dat2U wrote:...One, just one consequential long term roster piece was added this offseason - Hachimura.

...is an overstatement.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#291 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:45 pm

dub post
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#292 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Dat2U wrote:

I don't think the outlook is 'rosy' so much as "no longer hopeless".

Under Ernie we knew we were stuck and screwed, there was no chance of us getting anything other than the usual promises and disappointments. Now there is a virtue in simply not knowing what we may get.

So far there are a few hopeful signs in the process if not yet the results: we buy 2nd round picks instead of selling them. Analytics are an emphasis in press conferences, whatever may be happening in the front office. We are investing most of our slots into young prospects instead of worn out veterans. Money is being poured into scouting and medical innovation and coaching staff, they say.

Like you said, nobody has played any basketball so who knows how it turns out. I will say there is an argument to be made for "crowd sourced intelligence" that perhaps has not been articulated to this front office, where they pick up the benefit of tens of thousands of free scouting hours and can select from among the fans who prove the best of the best as additional sources of insight.

Seems to me if that were someone's dream they might articulate a positive case based on their track record in the last decade of drafts and stop being such a sourpuss whose only job is to 'Statler and Waldorf' all front office moves before they get a chance to play out...

I think its possible Kev (TheSecretWeapon, Nivek, etc) may have burned turf with this front office and settled into a role as a critic and analyst where other stat heads have been able to find positions with teams throughout the league. But I do feel for others there's an opportunity here while minds are open and the front office is undergoing change. While Ted is buying his way back into the good graces of fanship and he is willing to hear voices other than his own and Ernie's, I think we as a fan collective have a chance to get our say in front of that basketball 'Board'. Ted bragged about reading a 97 page email from one of his internal stat nerds, why not listen to your ticket buying partisans and see if they have any insight you can use. If he or Tommy or Sashi Brown were nudged with a well worded missive proposing a "fan-sourced intel initiative", you never know but that there might be a position or two available for the diehard who proves most accurate in assessing talent and sniffing out prospects.

Just a thought. If one could meditate and put some positive energy towards it and manifest their own personal dreams into concrete reality. If one's spiritual dreams did in fact spur them towards a momentary hope that a brighter future is possible.

Come on now. The moment is always Now.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#293 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Maybe start a petition? Write an article for BulletsForever? Ask the team to start a contest where the winner of most prescient fan (in predicting draft pick success) gets a scouting position with the team. Never know.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#294 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:PIF, I agree that the development of players like Rui, Troy, Schofield, etc. are all big “ ifs” and so is the roster status of Bertans and others.

Oh, I agree entirely!

Much of this is good. However selecting the right athletes to bring into your organization is still the most important task.

Young guys
8. Tarik Phillip - FA

Vets

It's been a busy offseason but as the famous saying goes, don't confuse activity with results.

Outside of Hachimura, none of these young guys are guaranteed to even make it to rotation status.

One, just one consequential long term roster piece was added this offseason - Hachimura. I hope for the Wizards sake he lives up to the promise because otherwise we may be in a similar position next offseason if he doesn't show much.

Dat, I've been preoccupied for a minute. I really don't have much to offer right now but I had to quote this. Out of the hundreds of posts I've lurked and out of EVERYTHING that's happened this offseason; YOU JUST CAPTURED MY THOUGHTS in total.

Do not mistake activity for achievement.

I can't see any reason to expect anything but a team that struggles to win 30 games, and one that's still coached by Scott Brooks. The Wizards to me on paper look like they could be the worst team in the league next season.
Bye bye Beal.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#295 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Oh, I agree entirely!

Young guys
8. Tarik Phillip - FA

Vets

Dat, I've been preoccupied for a minute. I really don't have much to offer right now but I had to quote this. Out of the hundreds of posts I've lurked and out of EVERYTHING that's happened this offseason; YOU JUST CAPTURED MY THOUGHTS in total.

I can't see any reason to expect anything but a team that struggles to win 30 games, and one that's still coached by Scott Brooks. The Wizards to me on paper look like they could be the worst team in the league next season.

:lol: “Winning 30 games” is not an objective nor is it relevant to the ‘19-20 Wizards . This roster clearly isn’t expected to compete at a high level

Wizards franchise objectives his season:
1) ensure Wall is well-taken care of and recovering
2) integrate and develop the 10 young prospects on roster (9 of them under the age of 22)
3) secure valuable lottery pick in 2020 NBA draft

They are well positioned to accomplish those goals and set themselves up for the 2020 and beyond with a stronger asset base. Therefore it’s been an optimistic offseason!

If you guys were hoping to watch a capped-out veteran team desperately chase the 8th seed, maybe you ought to tune into Miami Heat games or something. Because Sheppard has been transparent in stating that the organizational goals of the Wizards have shifted from a short-term view to a longterm view:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#296 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Young guys
8. Tarik Phillip - FA

Vets

:lol: “Winning 30 games” is not an objective nor is it relevant to the ‘19-20 Wizards . This roster clearly isn’t expected to compete at a high level

Wizards franchise objectives his season:
1) ensure Wall is well-taken care of and recovering
2) integrate and develop the 10 young prospects on roster (9 of them under the age of 22)
3) secure valuable lottery pick in 2020 NBA draft

They are well positioned to accomplish those goals and set themselves up for the 2020 and beyond with a stronger asset base. Therefore it’s been an optimistic offseason!

If you guys were hoping to watch a capped-out veteran team desperately chase the 8th seed, maybe you ought to tune into Miami Heat games or something. Because Sheppard has been transparent in stating that the organizational goals of the Wizards have shifted from a short-term view to a longterm view:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well said, this is clearly a rebuild year. Also being an Orioles fan, I know it well. They too are revamping their entire organization from roster to management to scouting to analytics. A complete overhaul in their philosophy on how to build a team. The Wizards seem to be on a similar path.

Sheppard has said going for the 8th spot is not what he wants as a goal. Leonsis talked about how they will view successes this year not by the number of wins, but in how they play, getting the loose balls and that kind of stuff. Not outright saying they are tanking, but stating the team has other priorities other than victories is pretty transparent.

The goals should be to let the young guys play, to develop and gain experience. To figure out their roles. Also so management can determine who will be here long term and who wont.

And to secure a high draft pick.

I agree about Brooks, I haven't been impressed with him. I guess we'll see how he does this year working with these young guys. But I am certainly open to moving on from him, and other than having to pay him it's probably better to do so sooner rather than later. I don't see the point in having these guys learn and play in a system and coach that are changed in another year or 2.

Two very different candidates that would be at the top of my list are Tony Bennett and Antonio Daniels. I'd also look at Sam Cassell, Ime Udoka, Mark Few, Bill Self, Eric Musselman among others. But that's a discussion for another day and another thread.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#297 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 pm

Main problem with firing Brooks now is that we aren’t in a position to attract a better head coach.

It’s also late in the game at this point in the summer. Ideally you want to start a HC search immediately in the spring.

Next offseason with Wall healthy and a more cohesive direction we will be in better position to recruit a quality HC. For next season, Brooks is fine and throughout his career he’s had success in getting younger guys to play hard & be professional
which is all we’re asking him to do.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#298 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am

payitforward wrote:Is this more or less how we'll go into the season?
PG -- Ish Smith, IT, Justin Robinson, Bonga, John Wall (injured)
SG -- Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
SF -- Troy Brown, Admiral Schofield, Jemerrio Jones, C.J. Miles (injured)
PF -- Davis Bertans, Rui Hachimura, Moritz Wagner
C -- Thomas Bryant, Ian Mahinmi

I hope we are fun to watch, especially the kids. We are not going to win many games, that's for sure.

I think the interesting exercise is to examine the roster and project our questions and best hopes onto each. Then throughout the season look for areas of improvement or hopeful signs for future play.

Every player on the roster has something intriguing about them. Especially the young guns.

Point:
Ish Smith is a known quantity. His job in this roster is as a practice squad version of John Wall. He is an uptempo guy who has no great outside shot but plays best in transition and has a decent passing and set-up game. His role on this roster is as a training wheels version of Wall. Can the new guys gel with this playing style if and when in fact we do get Wall back. We have commonly had guys in the back-up PG role who were a radical chance of pace and play style from Wall. Why not have a guy whose style is similar? This way young players will have one less thing to adjust to and compensate for while they are learning their own role on the court. The team will miss Sato, but his slow pace of play and more cautious and deliberate play style is a significant switch from John. Chemistry issues may have been caused by integrating the injured Wallstar back into the line up from teammates who had gotten used to the more lateral, extra pass, side to side, version of play than the down hill full speed ahead methodology we play with John at his best.

Isaiah Thomas. The Player Formerly Known as King of the Fourth. Hopefully an unknown quantity. Coming back from injuries, but a tough and prideful player. Could be useful as a veteran example to Wall in either how to come back, or a lesson in how all can disappear in a moment if you are not focussed. Still, as a veteran with a history of glory, he can exemplify a winning attitude and mentor younger players. He's bright and will have a future in coaching if he wants it. Most hopeful was his evident chemistry with Bryant in summer play, even if his own shots were stuffed on the backboard by lesser defenders. Bryant looked good when IT hit him in rhythm. It will be nice for Brad to have another young vet on the team who can command respect. Granted he won't exemplify how to defend, but he will show anyone that no matter how big you are you can always play with heart and never be intimidated by anyone who looks to test you.

Justin Robinson. Young point guards have a steep learning curve coming into the league. I full expect our end-of-roster PG prospects to shuffle back and forth between the Association and the GoGo squad. There is opportunity with the G squad to learn leadership and defense and groove the long ranged Jumper that will help the most at the next level.

Isaac Bonga Very young and very raw, Bonga was on the German National Team that played world cup qualifier games. (You'll start to see a theme here). He has an intriguing mix of talent and size that has not yet found a skill set or position to go with it. Is he a PG or SF. He plays both positions -- often on the same possession-- and was all over the place in lower level play. Long strides good body control decent handle, he's comfortable handling the ball in an uptempo attack. With our young team, low expectations and no solid roles settled on the roster, we can take advantage of a developmental year to play the team 15 deep and see what we have. This may prove an advantage in an 82 game season. We have waves of potential excited young guys we can play, to tire out opponents with a constantly fresh group of players. Especially if we are running an uptempo attack. In that environment a guy like Bonga can be a mismatch for teams who cannot figure out his position or who to send against him. In G league play he posts up and also runs the break. Additionally interesting is to see if he can carve out a role in World Cup play with the usually well coached and disciplined German squad. Germany was best in their qualifying group and should probably have an easy first round at least. Getting additional free coaching and being surrounded by overseas professionals can only help him.

Two-guard:
Bradley Beal we know about. The only question is if he can continue improving and what is the next level for him. He's been more than reliable. If he can lead a group of overlooked young players to a surprising record then there's no doubt he will make one of the all-NBA rosters. No matter what he becomes an ideal example of how to play on the perimeter: run, every play, use screens, make the smart pass, rebound bigger than your size. If players follow the example of our team leader and add to their game and iron out their weaknesses and improve their nutrition and exemplify good character then we will have a squad to be proud of and they will get better year after year.

Jordan McRae was going McCrazy in G-League play. But found play time hard to come by with the grown ups. He's older, but on his career last chance. Without established wing players ahead of him on the roster at 2-guard, and with the team lacking go-to scorers, he will get his reps and a chance to find his game in the league. Is he only a G-League legend? Or without fear of the quick hook can he go on a streak that surprises a team that hasn't bothered to scout that deeply into our bench. If so he can give Beal a rest a few minutes a night and show that microwave instant hot scoring for which he was known at the lower level.

Garrison Mathews . Every team needs a sweet shooting outside gunner with a quick trigger. Mathews is all of that. Moves well off the ball, shoots from range and has a release that is mantis quick. And at the level he played his defense was overlooked but underrated. Solid, smart, he rebounded played good positional defense and his D rating improved significantly every year. A two-way player, he will be a fan favorite if he hits a sweet streak. At the G-League I'd worry that he'd disappear into the background if we don't have good PG play to find him the ball. But Robinson doesn't need to be a 2-way player to be sent to the second unit team, maybe they are sent in pairs so they can develop continuity and comradery.

Tarik Philip. Played for the last place British team in World Cup qualifiers. Overseas experience professionally as well, he has to be hungry to find a role, and push players with more talent to work hard or themselves find a roster spot on a team in Hungary. That's got to be a sobering lesson for young players: Go hard or go Hungary. My candidate for a last roster cut, but who knows.

Wing forward
Troy Brown Jr. Troy took a leadership role with the summer league squad vocally and in play. His PG background means he looks to make his teammates better in game play and otherwise. Due to effort on court he ended up our leading rebounder in Summer League. With so many young players added he figures to carry a similar role, even while still being one of the youngest players on the team. His job will be to fill the role that Satoransky carried for us both on court and in the locker room. Positive, hard working glue guy who gives effort on every play, makes smart reads, sets up his teammates on offense and does the little things on D. He needs to develop his standstill 3 to really be useful, but that is a skill that reliably improves with hard work.

Admiral Schofield displayed resilience and moxie in his Tennessee career. Hitting the weight room he burned off his fat and chiseled his body into a solid if undersized forward. That clearly would not be enough to allow him to play at the next level so he developed a dependable three point shot. Questions exist whether he will have the lateral speed to guard the outside in the NBA, but no questions exist about how hard he will work to do so. It is useful on any team to have a weight room demon who can inspire other players to hit the iron and motivate themselves to improve. With big time training staff the parts of his game that are subject to improvement with offcourt drills, will likely see him grinding away to improve his weakness there. Most importantly the coaches seem to love his curiosity and drive to learn. He wore them out with questions so that he could not only improve but pass the knowledge on to his teammates and act as a coach on the floor. He will receive the attention needed to improve, and won't be forgotten this way. Coaches told him he needed to work on his ball handling so he took that away from summer play as his offseason homework. What if he can get solid enough to play as a 2/3 wing? That’s a big guard. Too tough.

Jemerrio Jones. Defensive and rebounding savant. If Lou Williams will cite you as the guy who will eat your offensive game inside out then let's see if he can earn a name for himself in training camp reps against Beal. If so there will be a roster spot for him. We definitely need rebounding, something fierce. Rebounding something fierce seems to be the majority of his game.

Power Forward
Three international players here.
Davis Bertans. Second Leading scorer on the Latvian national team that will be playing in World Cup play coming up. Sweet outside stroke. Listed at PF I can see him essentially playing SF since he is most often used at the top of the key instead of banging down low. In international play this makes sense. His play in World Cup games may give this coaching staff some ideas. Yes he will have lateral defensive issues. We will have defensive issues no matter what. If opponents are sending their bigs to the three point line to chase down a 6'10" sniper then we are open underneath for drives and backdoor cuts or our young high energy Center to stomp on smaller players. His range at his size changes the court on the offensive end. A smart coach can find a way to use that. That 42% from outside is a problem for other teams to solve. Combine this with Beal scoring on over 50% of his drives, and all we need is a ranged center who can score in pick and roll and backdoor options or bail-out scorers when the team is stretched thin.

Rui Hachimura. Offensive savant. He plays a nice face-up game from the wing, still has to improve his defense, but can score from anywhere inside the arc. He's still learning defense, which is tricky to practice in a gym alone from watching video. But we saw in summer league he is willing to give good effort there with weakside blocks etc. Gonzaga taught him Big Man school, in FIBA play he was outside in, we will see how quickly he develops even if he has lapses from moment to moment in his rookie season. Its a nice report when coaches interviewed say he has to be told to go home and not overwork himself. Hopefully our coaches also pay attention. He figures to be the star player for Japan in world cup play.

Moritz Wagner. Bigs commonly struggle adjusting to the speed and size of their opponents in the NBA. Hopefully last year was a throwaway year and Wagner manages to put his energy and attitude into work. His reputation is a vocal and firey player, it just hasn't yet translated to production on court. Still here is yet another ranged Big who is noted for high energy and effort. I do wish that some of the players with international background were draft and stash players for us, where they would get the standard Euro team schedule of 1 or 2 games a week and practice the rest of the week. Some of these cats figure to try the NBA then not find a role, go overseas and improve significantly then get called back stateside to produce for a different team. Anyway. If Wagner can discover his three point shot then he is a candidate for small ball center given that we are shallow at 5.

Center
Thomas Bryant. Basically all that you are asking for on offense from a player developing at the center role in the modern NBA. He scores when you give him the ball, doesn't turn it over. Hits an outside shot with reliable efficiency if left alone at the three point line. Needs to pass better in traffic. The rest of his game will require improvements on defense. But bigs are seeing resurgence in the NBA, especially those that can hit a long range shot.

All of these players have question marks and areas of improvement. But all have intriguing qualities that will make it interesting to watch their development. Pretty much none are locked in to long contracts that will hamper the team, but under the current CBA nobody is, so all teams can feel free to renew themselves every three years or so when there is a new crop of free agents. Meanwhile as Wizards fans we are back to rooting for moral victories and draft position and signs of improvement. If we like what we see in flashes and feel we can draw it out of them then we can decide along the way which players we want to extend on the cheap to have them grow up with our team.

Right, yes. Not a great team, but should be interesting to see. And if you squint you can imagine a few flash images of hope here and there.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#299 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 am

Love all this, doc -- great. I'm all for swinging at what they pitch you. I'm delighted to have Bonga, Jones, Robinson, Matthews... & & no reason to stop the list. See what all/any of them can do.

Ditto IT -- if he can hold up for 1000 minutes at some reasonable facsimile of what he was producing a few years ago, how can that be anything but a bargain? & fun, too.

&, you know what? If we are terrible, so we're terrible. So what? We would have to be enormously lucky not to pay for the horrors Ernie visited on us, & nobody is that lucky. Pay we will, & that's fine. We're Wizards fans; we can take it! Whatever it is, we've been through worse!
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#300 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Good job, doc.

This season is not about Ws and Ls. It’s about finding out who among the youngins’ on the roster have a real future in the NBA and with the Zards.

Though still only 21 (he turns 22 on Wednesday), T. Bryant looks like the real deal. If the 2017 draft was done over, he’d be a top 20 pick rather than the 42nd pick. TB has the potential to become an above average starter.

While he has yet to play one minute of NBA ball, Rui also stands a good chance of becoming an above average starter. He already has a pro mid-range game and I expect him to be able to stretch his range out to the 3pt line. Defense, rebounding and learning to find open teammates instead of forcing shots are areas where Rui will need to improve significantly in order to live up to the high expectations that many of us have for him.

Troy Brown will become a solid rotational player at the minimum. I’m pretty confident of that. His versatility, bball IQ and feel for the game are outstanding. Troy needs to become a better perimeter shooter but if he works hard there’s no reason why he can’t. He is, after all, just 20 years old. There were clear signs at the end of last season that Troy's shooting was already improved.

The young guy I’m most intrigued by is Bonga. I was surprised by how physically and mentally composed the 19 year old was during SL games. His ball handling and passing were very impressive. Bonga is another guy who will need to show that he can become a better shooter. However, his defense might get him some run with the Zards next season. He looked very good on that end of the court during SL.

Return to Washington Wizards