ImageImage

3-Point Shooting Void - Who Fills It?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Re: 3-Point Shooting Void - Who Fills It? 

Post#21 » by dunlop212 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 pm

I think it is a bit more complicated. Portland has not been effective shooting corner threes; see https://www.blazersedge.com/2019/5/27/18639868/portland-trail-blazers-stats-shot-chart-corner-threes-pointers-aminu-harkless-hood

I think that Bazemore and Hood effectively replace what Aminu and Harkless provided in that regard, but some of that hinges on effective passing from the post which will get a lot better when Nurk replaces Whiteside.

Also, three point shooting percentage goes up when a team is effective with the rest of the offense, especially layups and free throws. The classic example was the spurs when Duncan was killing it. They had wide open threes all the time, it was almost unfair, because the defense had to deal with Duncan. If Simons becomes an all purpose scorer -- 3s, penetration, midrange, draws fouls -- that should make (an already pretty good) offense really good.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#22 » by monopoman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 am

I think Simons is going to get a lot of open 3's or at least semi-open, this team is 100% banking on him taking a step forward this year. If he has a disappointing season I could see a trade near the mid-point of the season.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#23 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Simons is a dude. As the 3rd guard with Lillard and McCollum, serious scoring from guards will be on the court at all 3 levels. His points per game depend upon how much he plays at BOTH guard spots. [Collins will have MIP competition on his own team.] While there are unknowns about 3 point shooting simply due to new players and players in increased roles, this isn’t the Spurs. There’s no “void.” 20 games in will give us a good first set of data.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers