Pacers window?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Pacers window? 

Post#1 » by Topofthekey » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:36 am

Someone started a thread about the best 8-man rotation of your team, year 2000 onwards (said player has to log at least 30 games for your team to qualify)

This is what I came up with:

'17 Victor Oladipo
'00 Reggie Miller
'15 Paul George
'04 Jermaine O'Neal
'18 Myles Turner

'08 Danny Granger
'18 Domantas Sabonis
'12 George Hill

Do we realize that three of the top 8 Pacers in the last 20 years or so are playing on the team right now?

It's rare that a team has some of its best players all playing on the same team at the same time, let's not squander it
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Pacers window? 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:45 am

I know there's all the baggage but Artest is unquestionably there. Jalen Rose, Hibbert, and West should probably be there too and were better than 18 Domas at least. Would also strongly consider Harrington, Brad Miller, and Tinsley.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Topofthekey » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:06 am

I still think I take George Hill over Tinsley

I can definitely see an argument for David West over Domas, but I think Domas is still the better pick over Hibbert or Al Harrington or Brad Miller

As for Artest and Rose, I suppose they could bump George Hill, if we don't care about position
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:16 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I still think I take George Hill over Tinsley

I can definitely see an argument for David West over Domas, but I think Domas is still the better pick over Hibbert or Al Harrington or Brad Miller

As for Artest and Rose, I suppose they could bump George Hill, if we don't care about position

Hibbert was a DPOY level center. I love Domas, but he's not nearly that good yet.

Rose handled the ball a ton for us and would probably be a "PG" in today's game and was definitely better than Hill. And I personally have Tinsley as better than Hill overall at their best.

I have prime Artest as better than most of the guys up there too. 18 ppg and easily the best wing defense of anyone we've had. I'd probably slot him in as a starter over PG. Guy was nuts and ruined our best shot at a title, but that one year he was outstanding.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,053

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I still think I take George Hill over Tinsley

Hibbert was a DPOY level center. I love Domas, but he's not nearly that good yet.

Rose handled the ball a ton for us and would probably be a "PG" in today's game and was definitely better than Hill. And I personally have Tinsley as better than Hill overall at their best.

I have prime Artest as better than most of the guys up there too. 18 ppg and easily the best wing defense of anyone we've had. I'd probably slot him in as a starter over PG. Guy was nuts and ruined our best shot at a title, but that one year he was outstanding.

We forget, but he had one monster massive year of defensive impact. Like, one of the best defensive years for a center in the last 40 years. He dropped off a cliff, sure, but man, what a year of impact that was.

And prime Artest was right there with Paul George in terms of wings (during Pacers tenures).
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
We forget, but he had one monster massive year of defensive impact. Like, one of the best defensive years for a center in the last 40 years. He dropped off a cliff, sure, but man, what a year of impact that was.

Yup, still sad how far he fell and we all likely remember him being after the league passed him by, but his impact at the time was absolutely elite. And while the league changed quickly, the whole verticality thing is still taught to bigs and really wasn't a major thing prior to Hibbert.

It's certainly not the league changing the rules for the likes of Jordan, Wilt, Shaq, etc. but he had a major impact on how the game is played right now.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Topofthekey » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:16 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Hibbert was a DPOY level center. I love Domas, but he's not nearly that good yet.

I have faith in Domas. Same goes for Myles. I believe when they're finally done, they'd both have established themselves as the top 3 Pacers big man, together with Jermaine O'Neal

That's when we'd look back and realize that two of the top 3 franchise big man and the second best franchise guard all played together on the same team
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,053

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:45 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Hibbert was a DPOY level center. I love Domas, but he's not nearly that good yet.

I have faith in Domas. Same goes for Myles. I believe when they're finally done, they'd both have established themselves as the top 3 Pacers big man, together with Jermaine O'Neal

That's when we'd look back and realize that two of the top 3 franchise big man and the second best franchise guard all played together on the same team

In the last 19 years, right? Because Rik Smits and Mel Daniels, and maybe even Dale/Antonio Davis would have something to say about that statement :nod:
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,057

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:31 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:In the last 19 years, right? Because Rik Smits and Mel Daniels, and maybe even Dale/Antonio Davis would have something to say about that statement :nod:

and McGinnis.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:48 am

I'm having some trouble with the whole window thing?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#11 » by 8305 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:31 pm

I Like the pieces and appreciate the vision involved in assembling the pieces. Also love Vic, Myles and Dom. But for this next several years to be a unique window, we gotta see this Turner/Sabonis pairing create a competitive advantage and Vic look like his old self. I’m pretty optimistic about the assembly of several guys who could be elite role players (Warren, Lamb and Brogdon). At his salary Brogdon better be an elite role player.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,278

Post#12 » by boomershadow » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:14 pm

What our current window is, Idk. I like that we've added some new pieces and hope for growth from the Turner/Sabonis/Oladipo core.

If we're doing the best 8 man rotation thing, I'd do something like....

Oladipo/Hill
Miller/Hill
George/Artest
Granger/Artest
O'neal/Turner

I think Granger would be a 4 in today's NBA for sure. I wanted to go with West, but IDK how he would fit at power forward anymore. Oladipo at point guard, because it's hard to argue with Miller at shooting guard, and we haven't had a real game changing point guard since Mark Jackson. Hill for fit, because he can cover 1 and 2, and as a nod to the success we had during those years even if it was more of a team effort.

Return to Indiana Pacers