CARMELO WAS TURNED DOWN BY USA BASKETBALL

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,078

CARMELO WAS TURNED DOWN BY USA BASKETBALL 

Post#1 » by Pharmcat » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:40 pm

Carmelo Anthony tried to join USA Basketball this summer, but was turned down by its czar, Jerry Colangelo.

Melo’s participation “would’ve been more of a distraction,” according to Colangelo.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/carmelo-anthony-was-turned-down-by-usa-basketball/

what a fall from grace for Melo; dude's ego messed up his career
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,160

Re: CARMELO WAS TURNED DOWN BY USA BASKETBALL 

Post#2 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:42 pm

You’re surprised by this? Dude can’t even make an NBA roster. Why would we want him on our national team? The worst player on the team is probably PJ Tucker and he starts for the team Melo got sent home from for being generally incompetent.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,431

Post#3 » by TheNewEra » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:43 pm

Lmao Jerry worried about distractions after what Bryan did. Different situation but this is completely disrespectful to not allow him on the team.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Post#4 » by Wigginstime » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:44 pm

This year is the first time in 13 years the US national team has lost. Last time was when they took the bronze in the 2006 FIBA world cup. To be honest - they might have benefited from some leadership.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,857

Post#5 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:46 pm

Melo just needs to let it go. He is reeking of desperation now.

You're 35. You've had a very good career, a hall of fame career. You've made your millions. Enjoy retirement.
Why so serious?
knicks512
Junior
And1: 1,127

Post#6 » by knicks512 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:47 pm

Next he’ll get turned down by the Big 3 and his motivation will reach new heights.

That’s when the legend of Winter Coat Melo begins.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,135

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:47 pm

Wigginstime wrote:This year is the first time in 13 years the US national team has lost. Last time was when they took the bronze in the 2006 FIBA world cup. To be honest - they might have benefited from some leadership.

Did they already start playing and loose already?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:This year is the first time in 13 years the US national team has lost. Last time was when they took the bronze in the 2006 FIBA world cup. To be honest - they might have benefited from some leadership.

They already lost twice at the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. Even if US media is trying not to count it, because it was with G-League players, it still officially counts as two losses in official tournament games (not friendlies) by senior USA men's team.

I know US media is still pretending they haven't lost since 2006, but officially that's not true. They lost twice just recently.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Yeah, I'm confused by this post as well. They haven't even played any friendly games yet to lose.

I do however think they will lose, and not get gold though they will likely medal. It's not even the lack of talent I'm worried about, it's the lack of size and shooting. Some of the international teams are going to really bully this roster physically and even the good scorers on this team are streaky shooters at best.
Why so serious?
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#10 » by ReaLiez » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:51 pm

Maybe yelling out GTFO to grab rebounds from his own teammates was his downfall

I have no doubt he can still play
Justice
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:52 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:Yeah, I'm confused by this post as well. They haven't even played any friendly games yet to lose.

I do however think they will lose, and not get gold though they will likely medal. It's not even the lack of talent I'm worried about, it's the lack of size and shooting. Some of the international teams are going to really bully this roster physically and even the good scorers on this team are streaky shooters at best.

They lost to Mexico and Argentina in the World Cup qualifiers. Those are official games, and count officially as losses.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#12 » by XxIronChainzxX » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm not sure this needed to be an ALL-CAPS topic. I do honestly feel bad for Melo at this point.

Mirotic12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

They already lost twice at the FIBA World Cup qualifiers. Even if US media is trying not to count it, because it was with G-League players, it still officially counts as two losses in official tournament games (not friendlies) by senior USA men's team.

No one cares. The players going to play are so far down the list we'd need to double up on alphabet letters. It would be one thing if we were talking about the Olympics when NBA superstars show up.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:55 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:I'm not sure this needed to be an ALL-CAPS topic. I do honestly feel bad for Melo at this point.

Mirotic12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

No one cares. The players going to play are so far down the list we'd need to double up on alphabet letters. It would be one thing if we were talking about the Olympics when NBA superstars show up.

That's totally irrelevant to the issue. USA lost 2 games at the qualifiers. There is no difference between senior USA men's team. The team with G-League players counts the same as the 1992 Dream Team.

So to claim USA hasn't lost since 2006 isn't factually correct. You could only claim that a USA team made solely of NBA players hasn't lost since 2006. Two different things.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,802

Post#14 » by homecourtloss » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I know US media is still pretending they haven't lost since 2006, but officially that's not true. They lost twice just recently.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:56 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:Yeah, I'm confused by this post as well. They haven't even played any friendly games yet to lose.

They lost to Mexico and Argentina in the World Cup qualifiers. Those are official games, and count officially as losses.

You mean the team that had no NBA players on it?
Why so serious?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,232

Post#16 » by Domejandro » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:57 pm

This is actually pretty disrespectful, in all honesty. He should have at least received an invite, given his history on the team.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:59 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

You mean the team that had no NBA players on it?

Yes. USA can't forfeit those losses. They count officially as USA lost twice. Under every single factual measure, senior USA men's team lost to Mexico and Argentina at the qualifiers.

So yes, they did lose.

If you want to put the asterisk and say the all NBA team didn't that's fine. But you can't say USA national team didn't lose, because they did. For that tournament, they were officially registered as senior USA men's A team.

You can't erase the losses, if you are USA, just because you sent a G-League team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,135

Post#18 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:00 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Whoa this is a stretch. I mean come on man. You aren't even talking senior FIBA World Cup team friendlies. You are talking about the qualifying team which I don't believe had a single active NBA player on it. The leading scorer for the last game was Michael Frazier, who graduated college 4 years ago and has yet to play a minute in the NBA.

No one cares about that at all, you know that.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,078

Post#19 » by Pharmcat » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:01 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:I'm not sure this needed to be an ALL-CAPS topic. I do honestly feel bad for Melo at this point.

Mirotic12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I copied and pasted the article title and it was in all caps apparently, FYI
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#20 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:01 am

Mirotic12 wrote:

Mirotic12 wrote:

That's totally irrelevant to the issue. USA lost 2 games at the qualifiers. There is no difference between senior USA men's team. The team with G-League players counts the same as the 1992 Dream Team.

So to claim USA hasn't lost since 2006 isn't factually correct. You could only claim that a USA team made solely of NBA players hasn't lost since 2006. Two different things.

If you feel the need to read in "when anyone cares" feel free, but it's not unreasonable or unfair for people to only focus on a small set of competitions that the US takes seriously. That's just part of the territory when one team is so much more talented.

Return to The General Board