ImageImageImageImageImage

Which Raptors newcomer will make the biggest impact?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who will make the biggest impact this season?

Dewan Hernandez
2%
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
36%
Stanley Johnson
20%
Cameron Payne
2%
Terence Davis
26%
Matt Thomas
13%
Other
1%

Total votes: 127

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 64,093

Which Raptors newcomer will make the biggest impact? 

Post#1 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:02 pm

Offseason additions:

Dewan Hernandez, F/C, 22, 3 years / 4.1 million (partial guarantee)

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, F, 24, 1 year / 2.5 million

Stanley Johnson, F, 23, 2 years / 7.4 million (2nd year player option)

Cameron Payne, G, 25, 1 year / 1.7 million (partial guarantee)

Terence Davis, G, 22, 2 years / 2.4 million (partial guarantee)

Matt Thomas, G, 25, 3 years / 4.1 million (partial guarantee)
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,326

Re: Which Raptors newcomer will make the biggest impact? 

Post#2 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:54 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Offseason additions:

Dewan Hernandez, F/C, 22, 3 years / 4.1 million (partial guarantee)

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, F, 24, 1 year / 2.5 million

Stanley Johnson, F, 23, 2 years / 7.4 million (2nd year player option)

Cameron Payne, G, 25, 1 year / 1.7 million (partial guarantee)

Terence Davis, G, 22, 2 years / 2.4 million (partial guarantee)

Matt Thomas, G, 25, 3 years / 4.1 million (partial guarantee)

I think Rondae and Stanley will both make contributions off the bench. Terence Davis and Dewan will probably spend at least the first half of the season in the 905 (maybe Matt Thomas too). I highly doubt Payne will be on the roster by the start of the season.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#3 » by RonaldArtest » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:06 pm

Every time I see Cameron Payne’s name on the roster I kinda scratch my head, but in Masai I trust so hopefully he surprises. Always room on one of the dance packs for him.

I voted TD, I just feel he can provide some things offensively that may be needed and he’ll carve himself out a role. I do like Rondae and SJ too, those guys should get good opportunities to show the league something and they’ve both shown glimpses already.
TravisScott55
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,069

Post#4 » by TravisScott55 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:20 pm

Lol @ Cam Payne being on the poll.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,483

Post#5 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:21 pm

Probably gonna look like an idiot midway through the season for saying this...but Terrence Davis really intrigues me to a point where I think he actually becomes a staple in the Rotation moving forward.

Small sample size obviously, but just by looking at him in the summer league....he has athleticism/Quickness/Agility/Shooting Stroke/Confidence/Defensive Ability

Just gotta help him put it together and we have our next FVV
Asif16
RealGM

Post#6 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:21 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:Every time I see Cameron Payne’s name on the roster I kinda scratch my head, but in Masai I trust so hopefully he surprises. Always room on one of the dance packs for him.

I voted TD, I just feel he can provide some things offensively that may be needed and he’ll carve himself out a role. I do like Rondae and SJ too, those guys should get good opportunities to show the league something and they’ve both shown glimpses already.

The man is probbaly gonna get cut. I wouldnt read too much into Cam Payne
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#7 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:26 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:Lol @ Cam Payne being on the poll.

I actually think Cam Payne is a sleeper pick.

He shot really well in his short stint with the Cavs (49% FG, 36% 3PT) last year and he shot well in summer league, which earned him a contract. If he can stick open shots, he could see the floor as a 3rd guard. But he will need to perform in training camp to earn a spot first.
Asif16
RealGM

Post#8 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:31 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:

He shot really well in his short stint with the Cavs (49% FG, 36% 3PT) last year and he shot well in summer league, which earned him a contract. If he can stick open shots, he could see the floor as a 3rd guard. But he will need to perform in training camp to earn a spot first.

Even if payne makes the team, He'll be getting next to no playing time. Garbage minutes.

Terrence Davis is the guy I'm more intrigued about
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#9 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:34 pm

Asif16 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Even if payne makes the team, He'll be getting next to no playing time. Garbage minutes.

I think NBA experience matters, especially to start the season, so I think guys like Thomas, Davis will have to play really well in training camp to crack the opening night rotation. But I do like Davis long term.
Asif16
RealGM

Post#10 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:37 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

I think NBA experience matters, especially to start the season, so I think guys like Thomas, Davis will have to play really well in training camp to crack the opening night rotation. But I do like Davis long term.

Definitely agree but I think of Payne as more of a training camp invite sort of player. The chances of him making the Roster, let alone the rotation is really slim. There's a reason he wasn't in the NBA for the longest while. We already know he cant make an impact in the NBA game.

I would think the raps are definitely more high on Thomas and Davis making an impact next season. Idk I guess we'll find out
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#11 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:41 pm

Asif16 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Asif16 wrote:

Definitely agree but I think of Payne as more of a training camp invite sort of player. The chances of him making the Roster, let alone the rotation is really slim. There's a reason he wasn't in the NBA for the longest while. We already know he cant make an impact in the NBA game.

I would think the raps are definitely more high on Thomas and Davis making an impact next season. Idk I guess we'll find out

I think Payne makes the roster as the 3rd PG unless he completely tanks during the preseason. I don't see any other option really and I doubt the Raps start the season with only two PGs on the roster. I see Davis more as a combo guard, closer to a 2 guard than point.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#12 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:46 pm

I think the biggest impact will be made by Stanley or RHJ. A lot of that will have to do with opportunity. Both are pretty much locked into rotation positions.

Gasol - Ibaka
Siakam - RHJ
OG - Johnson
Powell - ?
Lowry - VV

Basically, the only real battles in training camp will be for a couple guard spots. The top 9 in the rotation are pretty much a lock.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,204

Post#13 » by Tofubeque » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:52 pm

I voted for Stanley thinking he was the most established NBA player of this bunch, but looking at their numbers now that's probably RHJ. They both have 4 years experience, RHJ is 2 years older. In his best season of 2017-18, he started 59 of 68 games, 28 mpg, and put up almost 18pts and 9reb per 36. Granted he was playing on the 28-54 Nets and definitely benefitted from their breakneck pace, 6th fastest in the league. But he shot 47% from the field with a TS% of .548. In comparison Stanley's best shooting year was 39% from the field with a .485 TS%. Yikes! Why was I optimistic for this guy again??

My hangup with RHJ is probably that he's a PF, and will just get the scraps from Siakam taking the lion's share of the minutes, while Stanley will have to play by default because we have few other wings. RHJ also has no 3pt shot to speak of, which makes it less likely he'll fit into different lineups next to Siakam (though Nurse is a madman so who knows). I know Stanley isn't much of a gunner either, but he still had Rondae beat by a full .100 behind the arc last year (he even went 11 for 34 in his 18 games off the Pelicans bench. Progress?)

One thing I'll say for Stanley is in his 20yo season he put up a respectable 1.8 defensive box +/- on a Pistons team that finished with the 8th best defensive rating, coached by Stan "Build a F'n Wall" Van Gundy. He'll be surrounded by good defenders on the Raptors and should hold up well on that end at least.
props Turbozone
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,921

Post#14 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:52 pm

Matt Thomas will immediately become the best 3 pt shooter on the team. That has to count for a lot.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,629

Post#15 » by bluerap23 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:02 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I think the biggest impact will be made by Stanley or RHJ. A lot of that will have to do with opportunity. Both are pretty much locked into rotation positions.

Gasol - Ibaka
Siakam - RHJ
OG - Johnson
Powell - ?
Lowry - VV

Basically, the only real battles in training camp will be for a couple guard spots. The top 9 in the rotation are pretty much a lock.

Pretty sure McCaw has the lock on back up 2. He got paid for a reason.

Basically we are talking about the third stringers that will only really get a chance when someone gets injured.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,297

Post#16 » by Duffman100 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:14 pm

The best player is RHJ. Considering Lowry's love of Siakam and how RHJ runs the fast break, I see him being quite effective.
Tim Horton
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#17 » by Tim Horton » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:17 pm

no luv for Cameron "MAJOR" Payne? lol

bet he makes the best 'dance/hi-five' impact moves with a starter (Gasol?) lol

JustWin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,927

Post#18 » by JustWin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:21 pm

Og Anunoby, our fresh draft pick
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,297

Post#19 » by Duffman100 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:22 pm

JustWin wrote:Og Anunoby, our fresh draft pick

New comer...
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#20 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:35 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I think the biggest impact will be made by Stanley or RHJ. A lot of that will have to do with opportunity. Both are pretty much locked into rotation positions.

Gasol - Ibaka
Siakam - RHJ
OG - Johnson
Powell - ?
Lowry - VV

Pretty sure McCaw has the lock on back up 2. He got paid for a reason.

Basically we are talking about the third stringers that will only really get a chance when someone gets injured.

Looks like that, but they may need more shooting in the 2nd unit.

Return to Toronto Raptors