ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, Alfred, DG88, Morris_Shatford, Patman, pbj, Rhettmatic, Duffman100

User avatar
jeffya2
Veteran
Posts: 2,694
And1: 2,884
Joined: Oct 10, 2007
     

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#41 » by jeffya2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:"Franchise" player Jayson Tatum was a DNP-CD.


He is injured


Bruised ego doesn't count :D
User avatar
hsb
RealGM
Posts: 16,842
And1: 14,174
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
       

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#42 » by hsb » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:
TDotJon wrote:France had the best player on the court (Gobert) . wow Khris Middleton could only stay on the floor for 18 mins and go 2/7?

Bucks were obviously in a tight spot with wanting to retain Giannis, they need to surround him with talent, provide stability and continuity, etc. But man Middleton is incredibly overpaid. Dollar amount to production level that might be one of the worst deals in the league.

He seems like a player that has all the tools but, for whatever reason, there's just something off with how he plays on the court relative to his skill set.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
User avatar
WuTang_OG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,983
And1: 9,932
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#43 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

The Nutz wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
The Nutz wrote:
Of course it is a tournament... it is still the World Cup, and it is a big deal and that does not change just because US and Canada NBA players did not show. The players and fans of the non North America countries are still very invested.

Typical North American attitude.... we aren't winning, so it's "not really a tournament" :roll:


Settle down, don't be such a cry baby.

There was zero allure to this tournament with all NA players dropping out, there's no arguing that. The level of interest wasn't there this year from NA due all of these players dropping out. It was a joke of a tournament and yes since USA players did not show, it lowers the value of the entire tournament.


Crybaby!? LOL, wtf. I am just stating facts. I am FROM North America.
You are wrong on all counts. There was zero allure for most Americans, because they only care if they know they can win. The other countries care. Don't cheapen it for them, there is NO ASTERISK for the team that wins this tournament.


Not wrong, you're just delusional in your thinking that this was like past world tournaments, it's clearly not. This year unfortunately was a joke of a tournament with so many guys dropping out .. (I'm just stating facts).

And I'm actually glad France took out USA today, and I'll be happy for whoever wins this thing.
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 11,291
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#44 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Team USA could've used Fred VanVleet on the roster

If guys like Joe Harris, Derrick White, and Smart can make the team, why not him?

Because those 3 are miles better than Fred Van Vleet.

I logged in just to say you tripping.. I would take FVV over all 3.. derrick white is debatable cuz of size but even still i prob roll with fvv

You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender
User avatar
WuTang_OG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,983
And1: 9,932
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#45 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm

GoSu wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:This was never really a tournament. Pretty low interest imo. Good on France to capitalize.


Try getting out of your bubble. US is just a small part of the World, the rest of it still watching the tournament with great interest.


lol.

You can't really dispute that the USA star players bring the allure to these world tournaments even with the european countries and their improvement on this world stage. This tournament has not been like past world tournaments, that's pretty clear.

like it or not, the USA star players bring fan excitement to these things and can make or break the tournament.
Ke-y
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 233
Joined: Nov 10, 2018
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#46 » by Ke-y » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Because those 3 are miles better than Fred Van Vleet.

I logged in just to say you tripping.. I would take FVV over all 3.. derrick white is debatable cuz of size but even still i prob roll with fvv

You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender

they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd
And1+2
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,780
And1: 4,652
Joined: Jul 31, 2009
Location: Halifax
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#47 » by And1+2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Because those 3 are miles better than Fred Van Vleet.

I logged in just to say you tripping.. I would take FVV over all 3.. derrick white is debatable cuz of size but even still i prob roll with fvv

You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender


FFV just defended Steph Curry better than anyone, maybe ever, in the NBA finals. Better than Smart could, that's for sure.

Would I take him over any of those guys? Based on how he showed up against the Bucks and the Warriors when it actually mattered, heck yeah I would. Would I regret it? Maybe. Probably. Who cares.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
Posts: 12,506
And1: 7,476
Joined: Jun 09, 2003

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#48 » by B-Ball Freak » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Vtop wrote:Speak for yourselves, I’m in Athens right now and this is the only thing people are watching. The level of Interest is insane despite Greece having been knocked out


The rest of the world doesn't exist to alot of people on here :lol:
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 11,291
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#49 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:I logged in just to say you tripping.. I would take FVV over all 3.. derrick white is debatable cuz of size but even still i prob roll with fvv

You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender

they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.
Ke-y
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 233
Joined: Nov 10, 2018
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#50 » by Ke-y » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender

they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

Steady freddy has proven himself so i ride with him.. i felt the same before he turned it ard in the playoffs.. there's some guys who slump and i wonder if they'll ever break out.. i trust fred.. in fact i trust him more on offense than i do lowry (prob not a popular opinion but there it is).. he has the potential to have a lowry type career.. lowry is better defensively but fvv can be better offensively.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,507
And1: 6,187
Joined: Aug 08, 2007
Location: Its ALL about Location, Location, Location!

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#51 » by YogiStewart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender

they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

my view is different.
FVV has some off-the-chart stats. he, though, seems like he'll be battling injuries throughout his career and that will be his limit setter.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,023
And1: 3,019
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#52 » by beanbag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:58 pm

whysoserious wrote:Terrible wasted opportunity by Team Canada to medal and qualify for the Olympics. People need to be held accountable.


LOL
User avatar
bon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,051
And1: 9,426
Joined: Jul 17, 2015
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#53 » by bon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:You’re absolutely insane lol

Joe Harris is one of the best shooters in the entire league. Derrick White is better in almost every aspect. Marcus Smart is an elite defender

they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

Lol what are you talking about? FVV had a better regular season than all of those guys (on a much more talented team) plus what he did against the Warriors in the Finals is more significant than anything else those other guys have done in their careers. :lol:
2019nbachamps
Sophomore
Posts: 173
And1: 147
Joined: Jul 10, 2019
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#54 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:35 am

FIBA needs to do a better job of scheduling this tournament and structuring the qualifiers. Many star NBAers understandably pulled out since it didn't make sense for them to add 2 months to their season and then another 2 months for the Olympics next summer. They are better off taking this summer off and then playing through next summer.

FIBA also has to ask itself what the point is of hosting a tournament that doesn't even attract third tier players from the best basketball country on earth? Then you have 2nd/3rd tier countries like Canada that didn't even send its best players. It's kind of like FIFA hosting the World Cup and Brazil and Germany sending their 3rd stringers.

Players on countries like Canada won't lose any sleep over this because they know they can just qualify for the Olympics next summer.

Maybe its best they go back to hosting this thing during even numbered years to give players a summer off in between the Olympics. We're likely going to have the same problem when this tournament happens again in 2023. The other solution is to use the tournament as the entire qualifiers for the Olympics.
Dalek
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,038
And1: 3,440
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#55 » by Dalek » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:05 am

If anyone watched they would have saw Nando DeColo look the part of a star player. Obviously he is an MVP and a legit deep range shooter who can play on and off the ball.

I think Masai lost the offseason when he didn't have a back up plan to sign De Colo. Toronto controlled his rights and could have signed him for a similar deal to what he signed in Turkey (about $4m per year).

At worst he would be an easy player to move because of his talent and track record. At best he would make Toronto closer to a contender.

It was weird that he wasn't in play with such an obvious fit here.
User avatar
NinjaBro
RealGM
Posts: 20,214
And1: 34,115
Joined: Aug 21, 2014
Location: Shamblesland
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#56 » by NinjaBro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 am

Dalek wrote:If anyone watched they would have saw Nando DeColo look the part of a star player. Obviously he is an MVP and a legit deep range shooter who can play on and off the ball.

I think Masai lost the offseason when he didn't have a back up plan to sign De Colo. Toronto controlled his rights and could have signed him for a similar deal to what he signed in Turkey (about $4m per year).

At worst he would be an easy player to move because of his talent and track record. At best he would make Toronto closer to a contender.

It was weird that he wasn't in play with such an obvious fit here.



I'm really annoyed that Masai didn't make a run for De Colo. Didn't Nando say he wanted to return to the NBA? We controlled his rights and could've had him. What was the point of giving 4M to Patrick Mccaw? who up to this point has not shown that he can be a rotation player for us. I'd rather have De Colo who has proven himself on the big stage.
Image
User avatar
NinjaBro
RealGM
Posts: 20,214
And1: 34,115
Joined: Aug 21, 2014
Location: Shamblesland
 

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#57 » by NinjaBro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 am

bon wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

Lol what are you talking about? FVV had a better regular season than all of those guys (on a much more talented team) plus what he did against the Warriors in the Finals is more significant than anything else those other guys have done in their careers. :lol:



I'll give you FVV is better than Derrick White and Marcus Smart but Joe Harris is awesome. He led the league in 3pt shooting last season 47% at 5 attempts per game, he was so fun to watch. If we had him this season hoooo boy. Hopefully Matt Thomas is the next Joe Harris for us and we've got it made.
Image
tor1234567
Pro Prospect
Posts: 876
And1: 793
Joined: May 31, 2018

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#58 » by tor1234567 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 am

NinjaBro wrote:
Dalek wrote:If anyone watched they would have saw Nando DeColo look the part of a star player. Obviously he is an MVP and a legit deep range shooter who can play on and off the ball.

I think Masai lost the offseason when he didn't have a back up plan to sign De Colo. Toronto controlled his rights and could have signed him for a similar deal to what he signed in Turkey (about $4m per year).

At worst he would be an easy player to move because of his talent and track record. At best he would make Toronto closer to a contender.

It was weird that he wasn't in play with such an obvious fit here.



I'm really annoyed that Masai didn't make a run for De Colo. Didn't Nando say he wanted to return to the NBA? We controlled his rights and could've had him. What was the point of giving 4M to Patrick Mccaw? who up to this point has not shown that he can be a rotation player for us. I'd rather have De Colo who has proven himself on the big stage.


What's lost in the haze of just winning a title, is that Masai really did have a bad offseason.

I think we just focused all our efforts on Kawhi re-signing, that we didn't consider any possible backup plans.

De Colo was an obvious choice, especially if we plan on trading FVV or Lowry. Other teams snagged some really great players (Brogdon) for peanuts. We essentially just went bargain bin shopping and called it an offseason.

I get that we are capped out, but we just didn't seem active at all on the trade front and just resigned ourselves to simply roll it back, minus Kawhi and Green to see what happens.
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 11,291
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#59 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38 am

bon wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

Lol what are you talking about? FVV had a better regular season than all of those guys (on a much more talented team) plus what he did against the Warriors in the Finals is more significant than anything else those other guys have done in their careers. :lol:


How? He was the least efficient and is arguably the worst defender other than Jos Harris.

The homerism on this board is insane. You trade FVV for any of those guys instantly
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 11,291
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: OT: Team "Celtics" USA eliminated by France in the quarter-finals 

Post#60 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 am

Ke-y wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Ke-y wrote:they're all role players .. fvv is the best of the bunch imo.. to say they are "miles better" is odd


Let’s be honest with ourselves here. FVV had a bad regular season, a bad 2 rounds of the playoffs, and even a bad first half of the Bucks series. The recent bias is insane.

Steady freddy has proven himself so i ride with him.. i felt the same before he turned it ard in the playoffs.. there's some guys who slump and i wonder if they'll ever break out.. i trust fred.. in fact i trust him more on offense than i do lowry (prob not a popular opinion but there it is).. he has the potential to have a lowry type career.. lowry is better defensively but fvv can be better offensively.


FVV is not as good as Lowry now offends **** stop this **** :lol:

The FVV love is absolutely insane. He isn’t a starting caliber player; those other 3 guys are.

Return to Toronto Raptors