How much does location matter when discussing legacy?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

How much does location matter when discussing legacy? 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:04 am

Heres what i mean, most of the guys that get looked at as goats played in big markets, my question is would the Jordan's, kareem, magic, bird, shaq, kobe, russells of the world be viewed the same if they played in the smaller market towns? Please factor that we're talking in terms of pre social media area. Oscar Robinson for example is never mentioned by casual fans as the guy yet he was dominant with Cincinnati
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,261

Re: How much does location matter when discussing legacy? 

Post#2 » by RoxSteady » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't think Oscar Robertson's legacy would've been significantly enhanced had he played in a bigger market. His teams in Cincinatti were not that great and his championship reign in Milwaukee lasted one season... I think the other guys having a greater legacy has more to do with number of championships they've won and/or that they played more recently (with the exception of Russell). Also, several of them are significantly better players.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,151

Post#3 » by Dominator83 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:28 pm

I think if your somewhere with less previous legends the better. Take a guy like Westbrook for example. If he was a career Laker, he would be just another star on a long list of them. His legacy is much higher imo as an ATG okc thunder
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,259

Post#4 » by Mogspan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 pm

How about the importance of names? Would Magic or Kobe have the same mystique if either were named Spencer Dinwiddie?
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,101

Post#5 » by thebigbird » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Kobe's legacy would be much worse if he hadn't played for the Lakers. He's the Derek Jeter of the NBA. Great player but gets overrated because he played for the keague's most storied franchise.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,328

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Mogspan wrote:How about the importance of names? Would Magic or Kobe have the same mystique if either were named Spencer Dinwiddie?

i always think of that :lol:

like...would LeBron James still be him if his name was Todd Smith? :lol:
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,261

Post#7 » by RoxSteady » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Mogspan wrote:How about the importance of names? Would Magic or Kobe have the same mystique if either were named Spencer Dinwiddie?

Do you think Emmitt Smith's name hurt his legacy?
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dominator83 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 pm

RoxSteady wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

No but if he was John Smith or Mike Smith then maybe :D

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#9 » by LKN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Michael Jordan and Bill Russell are pretty run of the Mill names.
Rakim Allah
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#10 » by Rakim Allah » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 pm

thebigbird wrote:Kobe's legacy would be much worse if he hadn't played for the Lakers. He's the Derek Jeter of the NBA. Great player but gets overrated because he played for the keague's most storied franchise.
Quite the opposite. The critics and media wouldn’t have been so hard on him. A lot less hate. His legacy would have been championed by them, like Duncan’s legacy. If Duncan played for the Lakers, not defending a title, going 10-27 in game 7 of 2005 Finals, losing to an 8 seed would be brought up all the time. Playing for a storied franchise, that actually wins championships, in a big market heaps a lot more pressure on a player than a small market. Kobe was able to block all the drama and pressure out and help bring the Lakers 5 championships in his career/Legacy. Nothing overrated about that.
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#11 » by First Take » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 pm

I think it's huge. A recent example is Lebron James. LeBron won 2 championships in Miami. That would be a huge accomplishment, but a lot of people do not give him the credit he deserves because a lot feel like he team up with 2 top stars. However when he went to Cleveland and won it for his home location, he solidified himself as a top 2 player.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,249

Post#12 » by NZB2323 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 am

Pinkyring wrote:Heres what i mean, most of the guys that get looked at as goats played in big markets, my question is would the Jordan's, kareem, magic, bird, shaq, kobe, russells of the world be viewed the same if they played in the smaller market towns? Please factor that we're talking in terms of pre social media area. Oscar Robinson for example is never mentioned by casual fans as the guy yet he was dominant with Cincinnati

Is Boston really a big market? According to Wiki, there are 20 cities in America bigger than Boston:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I think it hurts Oscar Robertson's legacy a little bit that Cincinnati doesn't a team anymore, but he never won a title with them. He does have a 9 foot tall statue outside of his college though. Pop and Duncan both have a great legacy even though San Antonio isn't the biggest town. Lebron played for Cleveland and Miami for most of his career.

Also, look at the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay is a super small town but people rate Brett Favre and Aaron Rodger high.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pinkyring » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:21 am

Dominater wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I mean todd Smith is the name of one of the most famous rappers of all time, u may know him as LL cool J
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dominator83 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:24 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Dominater wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:

I mean todd Smith is the name of one of the most famous rappers of all time, u may know him as LL cool J

But we don't know him as Todd Smith! Smart move on his part to use a stage name

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,328

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:29 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Dominater wrote:
RoxSteady wrote:

actually his name is James Todd Smith...James is what the J stands for in LL Cool J

but he's still LL Cool J to everyone :P
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,889

Post#16 » by infinite11285 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 am

RoxSteady wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Hard to tell, but if Kobe's real name was God Shammgod he'd be the GOAT.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#17 » by RCM88x » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 am

I think it's a factor, but not a big one.

Like if Pat Ewing played his whole career in Minnesota or Memphis I doubt half the people who consider him a top 25 player all time would put him in their top 40.

If Oscar played his whole career in NYC he'd almost certianly be talked about more. Same goes for a Moses Malone or Walton if they played in LA.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pinkyring » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:49 am

Dominater wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Dominater wrote:No but if he was John Smith or Mike Smith then maybe :D

But we don't know him as Todd Smith! Smart move on his part to use a stage name

Meh, there's nothing exciting or exact about Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson vince Carter Michael jordan, all those are boring
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,746

Post#19 » by Capn'O » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:21 am

I don't think much. Most basketball people place Robertson just outside the top 10 which seems appropriate. Karl Malone was pretty huge and he played in Utah. Tim Duncan in SA.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pinkyring » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:11 am

NZB2323 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Heres what i mean, most of the guys that get looked at as goats played in big markets, my question is would the Jordan's, kareem, magic, bird, shaq, kobe, russells of the world be viewed the same if they played in the smaller market towns? Please factor that we're talking in terms of pre social media area. Oscar Robinson for example is never mentioned by casual fans as the guy yet he was dominant with Cincinnati

Is Boston really a big market? According to Wiki, there are 20 cities in America bigger than Boston:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I think it hurts Oscar Robertson's legacy a little bit that Cincinnati doesn't a team anymore, but he never won a title with them. He does have a 9 foot tall statue outside of his college though. Pop and Duncan both have a great legacy even though San Antonio isn't the biggest town. Lebron played for Cleveland and Miami for most of his career.

Also, look at the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay is a super small town but people rate Brett Favre and Aaron Rodger high.

Boston is big in terms of tradition they were a dynasty its a big market in the basketball world, green bay is unique because its owned by the people.

Return to The General Board