Is Russell Westbrook Overrated or Underrated?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,605

Is Russell Westbrook Overrated or Underrated? 

Post#1 » by Pelly24 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm a huge Russ fan and I think he deserved the MVP in 2017, but his scoring efficiency dropped to below league average by a big amount in 2017-2019 and he took two unexpected playoff losses in the first round in consecutive years. The second year he had a player that was better than him on his squad and he still lost in sort of embarrassing fashion. The OKC offense hasn't been top 10 since KD left, Russ has shot like 70% from freethrow line over the last two years and his TS% is like at 52%. He's a marginal defender and mediocre volume scorer, but he's one of the best passers in the league and an incredible rebounder for his size. Where does he rank?

I think Russ is a top 20 or so player, but a lot of people still believe hes around top 11-top 15.

What are your thoughts?
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Re: Is Russell Westbrook Overrated or Underrated? 

Post#2 » by udfa » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 pm

2017 he was a legit top-10 player, borderline top-5

Since then he has fallen off hard. Last two seasons he wasn't even top-20 and in both played horribly in the playoffs. This is his chance to turn his career back around. I think he still has the talent to be a top-15 player but he needs to focus on defense and cut down jump shots.
Navy Che
Sophomore
And1: 270

Post#3 » by Navy Che » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Definitely underrated. I'm not good with ranking lists, but he's just flat-out a great player -- probably the most exciting point guard since Iverson. At the end of the day, dude's skills are legendary.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,635

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 pm

he's thunderrated

amirite?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,785

Post#5 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Was overrated. But is now underrated
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
TheNG
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,578

Post#6 » by TheNG » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:43 pm

There are two "camps":
Camp A:
We want to win. Don't care about stats --> Westbrook is crap.
Camp B:
You can't blame a single player for his team's failure, if they lose it's only because of his "supporting cast" --> Westbrook is the best!

If you want to know which camp you belong to, just tell me who your GOAT is :)
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#7 » by Lalouie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:44 pm

russell's stats are what they are.

what everyone misses, or maybe HAS missed, considering his injuries are now piling up on his body,,,is that HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A "FORCE" TO RECKON WITH. that has always been his metier. not that he was good or bad at this or that, but that he is/was an unstoppable force that distorted the defense.

there are players coming in being compared to westbrook - like "zack lavine was a westbrook with a shot"....NO - because lavine does not have the thing that makes westbrook, WESTBROOK - drive,rage, determination, unstoppable endless motor. that was then. now, players being compared to westbrook have that "westbrook drive", like mitchell. so people are beginning to get it.

all that to say rw has become so overrated he's underrated for being overlooked for the thing he does best. and even though people already know this, they STILL always fall back to criticizing his stats which is the very thing they shouldn't be harping on.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 pm

I think people are underrating his MVP season now, OKC was the worst team in the league when he wasn’t on the floor that season based on +/-, but his shot selection was pretty awful last season. He has slipped a ton the past 2 seasons.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,762

Post#9 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Last season was an outlier negatively. I feel like he will improve his efficiency to how it was before then.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,901

Post#10 » by RyderMike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Let's average it out.

Westbrook is Rated
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,222

Post#11 » by NBAFan93 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Russ’ only flaw is he’s not as good as he feels that he is and he wants to be. Dude gives it his all all time and wants to win so bad. He’d literally be the goat if he had even slightly above average shooting talent. Honestly, that he’s become what he is w/ as little shooting talent as he was born with is amazing.

He’s a great guy too - and it really annoys me all the hate the media piles on him. He’s one of the few guys who are actually role models off the court for just being a good person. He was on Jimmy Fallon the other night and was so like-able.

He’s a great overall player, and I think he’s become underrated in the past year, but he definitely needs to get his shot back to 2017 levels if he’s going to be seen as an elite player. People watch his percentages too much and they aren’t going to give him a pass for much longer. I hope he has a good year in Houston - hopefully w/ more shooters to kick to he won’t take so many bad shots.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,069

Post#12 » by azcatz11 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Underrated - if he was on the FIBA team they would have won it all
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,585

Post#13 » by Pennebaker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:15 pm

Pelly24 wrote:I'm a huge Russ fan and I think he deserved the MVP in 2017, but his scoring efficiency dropped to below league average by a big amount in 2017-2019 and he took two unexpected playoff losses in the first round in consecutive years. The second year he had a player that was better than him on his squad and he still lost in sort of embarrassing fashion. The OKC offense hasn't been top 10 since KD left, Russ has shot like 70% from freethrow line over the last two years and his TS% is like at 52%. He's a marginal defender and mediocre volume scorer, but he's one of the best passers in the league and an incredible rebounder for his size. Where does he rank?

I think Russ is a top 20 or so player, but a lot of people still believe hes around top 11-top 15.

What are your thoughts?

He's only overrated if you think he's a Batman. Ditto James Harden. It may sound strange, but these guys are epic Robins - which is the new normal for the league i.e. your #2 guy needs to also be MVP caliber.

So both Russ and Harden need to play with like a LeBron or a Durant (healthy) if they are serious about winning something.

If you disagree and think they have what it takes to be that kind of playoff LeBron or Finals KD, then yes you're overeating him.
Heat4lyf
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#14 » by Heat4lyf » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Russ deserved that MVP he was unreal in the reg season. I think people rate him correctly for what he is right now

But my issue is people use revisionist history to downplay that mvp year like he wasn't blowing our minds with what we were witnessing
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,066

Post#15 » by JN61 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 am

At this point heavily underrated. We will see Paul George's drop this year after all free looks Westbrook creates for his teammates.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#16 » by freethedevil » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:42 am

Westbrook's prime is greatly underrated. He's slightly overrated now.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,592

Post#17 » by robbie84 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 am

I think he's pretty over rated.

I'm not sure there are too many NBA MVP's who you could legitimately say that you couldn't win a championship with them as your best player.
Can you win an NBA championship with Westbrook as your best player?
The answer is a pretty easy no.

Now if Russ played in the 90's, the answer is probably yes.
He's playing in the wrong era.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,821

Post#18 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 am

robbie84 wrote:I think he's pretty over rated.

I'm not sure there are too many NBA MVP's who you could legitimately say that you couldn't win a championship with them as your best player.

Why would he be better in the 90s?
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,592

Post#19 » by robbie84 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:15 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
robbie84 wrote:I think he's pretty over rated.

Why would he be better in the 90s?

Game didn't revolve around the three point so much. You don't really have to guard Russ out on the perimeter and his athleticism would probably even more lethal.
I'm not sure if he would be better in the 90's, I said it would be possible for him to be the best player on a championship team.

In this era? No way.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,821

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:27 am

robbie84 wrote:

Game didn't revolve around the three point so much. You don't really have to guard Russ out on the perimeter and his athleticism would probably even more lethal.
I'm not sure if he would be better in the 90's, I said it would be possible for him to be the best player on a championship team.

In this era? No way.

His teams would have even worse shooting than they do now. Westbrook's best attribute is playing with pace, which would likely slow down the way 90s ball is played. Lack of spacing would hurt him a lot - as we see with current OKC.

How does he score buckets when the game slows down? That's really the problem with Westbrook. As the game goes on, defenses figure him out.

Players in the 90s had more sophisticated mid range games and post games. Westbrook's mid range game consist of driving hard to the rim and stopping at the free throw line for a pull up. His post game consistent of being big, and hopefully backing down a smaller guy so he can pass out of a double. There is nothing about his game that really screams out 90s to me.

His problem isn't that he lacks a 3 point shot, his problem is he lacks shooting in general. He wouldn't be a good shooter in the 90s, and that is a weakness then just like it is today.

Return to The General Board