The thing about Porzingis...

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,256

Post#1 » by RoxSteady » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:34 pm

... is that his All-Star season, 2017-2018, was overrated. He played in 48 games, shot less than 44% from the field, and had fewer than 7 rebounds per game. IMO, people too easily fall in love with players who can break 20 ppg.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying he doesn't have the tools to be great; he does.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 4,029

Re: The thing about Porzingis... 

Post#2 » by zonedefense » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm

And was a top 3 rim protector in the league. I love that people completly ignore that he is a game changer on defense.
2.4 blks, league leading DFG% at the rim.
Even if he never gets any better a guy that is among the most impactful defenders in the league and scores 20+ PPG is an allstar.
In a worst case scenario he is the best/only 3&D center in the league. Let him protect the rim and spot up for 3.
Trippinskarlo
Rookie
And1: 1,326

Post#3 » by Trippinskarlo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:45 pm

RoxSteady wrote:... is that his All-Star season, 2017-2018, was overrated. He played in 48 games, shot less than 44% from the field, and had fewer than 7 rebounds per game. IMO, people too easily fall in love with players who can break 20 ppg.

The draw of Porzingis is his ability to stretch the floor and protect the rim. You didn't mention either in your post. Both are much more valuable than shooting 48% instead of 44% or grabbing 9 boards instead of 7.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,277

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:58 pm

And he was what, 21 years old. I am not sure whats the deal with this constant Porzingis downplay as of late.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:05 pm

RoxSteady wrote:... is that his All-Star season, 2017-2018, was overrated. He played in 48 games, shot less than 44% from the field, and had fewer than 7 rebounds per game. IMO, people too easily fall in love with players who can break 20 ppg.

He also was the best rim protector (statistically speaking) in the league that season. He was a 2 way player so in some respects he was underrated.

He needs to improve his efficiency for sure but some people overrate the importance of raw rebounding numbers, especially from the PF position because they play on the perimeter so much more in this era. But he’s still a very talented 2 way player with room to grow.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,024

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:08 pm

As was said above, his draw is the ability to spread the floor at 7'3, bringing the opposing C outside the paint. On defense he had the highest block % in the league 17/18 and had managed 12.1 win-shares over three years on abysmal NYK teams.

He is a robin, so if people think he is a true franchise player they are wrong. But I have no doubt in my mind that given the right cast of supporting players he can be the 2nd best guy on a championship team.

Dallas just needs to find their 3rd guy. Part of me wonders if Justin Jackson can be that guy. He came on strong late last season and if he can be a 15-17ppg guy with good defense and 38+% 3PT shooting, they are in good shape.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,121

Post#7 » by Dominator83 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm

I honestly dont like the fact that he sat the entire season. It's been over a year and a half since he's played NBA basketball. Imo it would've been better had he played, even if it was on a 20 minute restriction with no B2Bs. I remember when Rose did the same thing, and it didn't help him one bit. He still got hurt again 10 games into the season
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#8 » by LKN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Porzingis actually seems like a great fit as a #2 and his ability to shoot the 3 (he was trending up every year and was just a shade under 40% before injury) and protect the rim seems like a really potent combination.

I do think he's probably miscast as a #1 guy, but next to Luka he could look really good.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,299

Post#9 » by Dacost » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:18 pm

I actually never really seen porzingis since he was in NY(their games are unwatchable)I'm looking forward to see what kind player he is now that he is on a real team.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#10 » by Pinkyring » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Whats the point of this thread? He has a ton to improve but the skills are there and playing with a system like Carlisle's and with a playmaker like luka should bump his efficiency, the rebounding is definitely a concern and he'll need to be better but health is what i fear more than anything else
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:32 pm

7'3, 21 years old and averaged 22ppg while shooting 39% from 3 on 5 attempts a game and elite rim protection. I think it's pretty obvious why so many were and still very high on him.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,517

Post#12 » by ellobo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Rockets fan, right?

Did you miss this game?

Here's one from 2017 (including a dagger three from Frank Ntilikina when the Pacers loaded up on Porzingis down the stretch).
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,302

Post#13 » by Kampuchea » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:52 pm

That's mostly because
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#14 » by Sabas11 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:As was said above, his draw is the ability to spread the floor at 7'3, bringing the opposing C outside the paint. On defense he had the highest block % in the league 17/18 and had managed 12.1 win-shares over three years on abysmal NYK teams.

He is a robin, so if people think he is a true franchise player they are wrong. But I have no doubt in my mind that given the right cast of supporting players he can be the 2nd best guy on a championship team.

Dallas just needs to find their 3rd guy. Part of me wonders if Justin Jackson can be that guy. He came on strong late last season and if he can be a 15-17ppg guy with good defense and 38+% 3PT shooting, they are in good shape.

Agree with what you said but you are setting yourself up for major disappointment with the bolded part IMO.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,115

Post#15 » by Duffman100 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Just has to stay healthy... That's the big concern.
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#16 » by BBgun » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:15 pm

He started out really strong that season but seemed to wear down from carrying the load of the entire offense. That's why, as mentioned, he's probably much better suited to be a strong #2 as opposed to a franchise player. But if he's healthy he should be a monster for Dallas IMO.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Sabas11 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:As was said above, his draw is the ability to spread the floor at 7'3, bringing the opposing C outside the paint. On defense he had the highest block % in the league 17/18 and had managed 12.1 win-shares over three years on abysmal NYK teams.

Agree with what you said but you are setting yourself up for major disappointment with the bolded part IMO.

Yup. Justin Jackson is barely an NBA player and already 24 years old. You never want to rely on him as part of your core.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,964

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 pm

The thing with KP is that he can't stay healthy... Dude might not be built to battle.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,810

Post#19 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 pm

Knicks fan here. I dont think it was overrated. We were told he was a 3 year project but made an instant impact

What he did ar his age was most inpressive considering that most players dont hit their prime until their mid 20s.

My only concern with KP is his conditioning and if he can stay healthy which is a huge concern imo. If he can remain on the court for a full season then skies the limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,204

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:40 pm

i don't think anyone should be excited by Porzingis's basic stats so far in his career, or even the way he's played on offense. What people are excited about is what they see:
- A 7'3 fluid athlete with a smooth unblockable pull-up that he can get off from anywhere on the floor.
- A fierce, mobile rim protector. One of the best in the league based on size and instincts alone.
- A mean competitor. Loves to dunk on guys, loves to get buckets, love to get physical despite being a toothpick that gets pushed around.

His actual game thus far, as a baby young big on a joke bad Knicks team involves:
- really poor shot selection (tries to shoot everything, because he feels he can always gets his shot off, which he can)
- underwhelming finishing and rebounding numbers for a giant
- little to no passing ability.

I understand why Porzingis has skeptics, in the sense that he hasn't actually been a smart efficient player thus far in his career. But he was 22 when he went down. He's barely 24 now. He played for horrible Knicks teams. We're about to see him play for a genius coach with an all-star level creator next to him. If you want to doubt Porzingis's health, that's a fair concern for any 7'3 guy. But if you are doubting that he will be an impact player in the NBA if healthy... i'm not inviting you to my birthday party (or hiring you in my scouting department).
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to The General Board