2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 41,859
And1: 10,255
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2281 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:22 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Ultimately some put an asterisk on every championship. It's stupid, but its tradition.

That said, the 22 team thing is just such a blatant attempt to get someone in over Memphis and I'm not one for conspiracies but it doesn't even seem like they're trying to hide wanting Zion or Lillard in there.

I wasn't a fan of the group stage, but tbh you could probably sell me depending on the setup, the way I'd heard it was not something I'd like, but it might just have been the explanation/groupings.


Yeah my gut reaction was "the NBA has no shame in wanting zion in the playoffs." I mean i'm happy to have the NBA back and kinda numb to everything right now, so i don't really "care", but it's pretty blatant.


Yeah, there's absolutely no doubt that they see this as giving Zion a golden opportunity to become a household name. The NBA is always trying develop the next generation of star power - unlike other team sports, quite frankly, this has been the NBA's thing - and if this goes right, the NBA might actually get a lot more eye balls than they normally do.

I think the NBA's money-based agenda is clear, and I can roll with it up to a point. Changing the shape of the pre-post-season in weird ways? Eh, okay. When the Mouse Bubble begins though, it best go well.

Right now I'm inclined to support efforts at normalcy like this, but if I end up feeling like we consumed lives (COVID) because of an entertainment-for-profit compulsion, that could change. So, planning and execution of logistics matters. As long as they do that stuff well, they're good with me.
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:


Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
KTM_2813
Senior
Posts: 550
And1: 462
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2282 » by KTM_2813 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 1:41 pm

bondom34 wrote:Ultimately some put an asterisk on every championship. It's stupid, but its tradition.


I find it interesting how so many people judge players based on championships, and yet many of those same people are the ones who say that every third championship deserves an asterisk. At a certain point it's like... Don't you see the problem with judging players based on championships? :lol:
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 52,641
And1: 40,490
Joined: May 19, 2012
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2283 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:45 pm

Teams don't control the circumstances they get favorably or un. You beat all the teams put before you in a given year you are the champs, period. Lockout? Still champs. Jordan retires? Still champs. Suspensions? Still champs. Injury? Still champs. Bad call(s)? Still champs. Playing at Disney if it happens? Still champs.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,488
And1: 4,364
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2284 » by eminence » Mon Jun 8, 2020 11:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Teams don't control the circumstances they get favorably or un. You beat all the teams put before you in a given year you are the champs, period. Lockout? Still champs. Jordan retires? Still champs. Suspensions? Still champs. Injury? Still champs. Bad call(s)? Still champs. Playing at Disney if it happens? Still champs.


Felony gambling charges? '02 is something special.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
Homer38
Analyst
Posts: 3,204
And1: 2,308
Joined: Dec 04, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2285 » by Homer38 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter


100% agree with Jefferson...In my opinion if one team in professionnel sports deserve a asterisk more that every others champions are the 2017 Houston Astros….Outside of that,you don't deserve asterisk on thing you can't control
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 15,233
And1: 15,866
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2286 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Starting to get very pessimistic about the NBA actually returning this summer...
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,488
And1: 4,364
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2287 » by eminence » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Kind of fun little team builder on the NBA site, bit too position strict, but still fun.

GS+++
Starting PG: Steph Curry ($1,100)
Starting SG: Reggie Miller ($800)
Starting SF: Larry Bird ($1,100)
Starting PF: Draymond Green ($800)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Reserve SF: Jayson Tatum ($700)
Reserve PF: Andrei Kirilenko ($600)
Total Price: $6,400

Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
User avatar
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 7,558
And1: 1,991
Joined: May 28, 2014

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2288 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm

eminence wrote:King of fun little team builder on the NBA site, bit too position strict, but still fun.

GS+++
Starting PG: Steph Curry ($1,100)
Starting SG: Reggie Miller ($800)
Starting SF: Larry Bird ($1,100)
Starting PF: Draymond Green ($800)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Reserve SF: Jayson Tatum ($700)
Reserve PF: Andrei Kirilenko ($600)
Total Price: $6,400

Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com


My Draft Summary

Starting PG: Chauncey Billups ($800)
Starting SG: Michael Jordan ($1,300)
Starting SF: Paul George ($800)
Starting PF: Dirk Nowitzki ($1,000)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve C: Al Horford ($600)
Reserve SF: Dan Majerle ($600)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Total Price: $6,400

Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com

Depth Chart:
PG: 2005-06 Chauncey Billups
SG: 1990-91 Michael Jordan
SF: 2018-19 Paul George
PF: 2010-11 Dirk Nowitzki
C: 1976-77 Bill Walton
G/F: 2015-16 Kyle Lowry
G/F: 1992-93 Dan Majarle
F/C: 2017-18 Al Horford

Rotations:
PG: Billups(36)/Lowry(12)
SG: Jordan(40)/Majarle(8)
SF: George(36)Majarle(12)
PF: Nowitzki(38)/Horford(10)
C: Walton(34)/Horford(14)

Walton is a huge steal at $700. Once I saw that price, I knew I wasn’t going with one of the flashier big name centers. But yeah, overall this team would be absolutely terrifying 8-)
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,488
And1: 4,364
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2289 » by eminence » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Hawk Eye wrote:
eminence wrote:King of fun little team builder on the NBA site, bit too position strict, but still fun.

GS+++
Starting PG: Steph Curry ($1,100)
Starting SG: Reggie Miller ($800)
Starting SF: Larry Bird ($1,100)
Starting PF: Draymond Green ($800)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Reserve SF: Jayson Tatum ($700)
Reserve PF: Andrei Kirilenko ($600)
Total Price: $6,400

Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com


My Draft Summary

Starting PG: Chauncey Billups ($800)
Starting SG: Michael Jordan ($1,300)
Starting SF: Paul George ($800)
Starting PF: Dirk Nowitzki ($1,000)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve C: Al Horford ($600)
Reserve SF: Dan Majerle ($600)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Total Price: $6,400

Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com

Depth Chart:
PG: 2005-06 Chauncey Billups
SG: 1990-91 Michael Jordan
SF: 2018-19 Paul George
PF: 2010-11 Dirk Nowitzki
C: 1976-77 Bill Walton
G/F: 2015-16 Kyle Lowry
G/F: 1992-93 Dan Majarle
F/C: 2017-18 Al Horford

Rotations:
PG: Billups(36)/Lowry(12)
SG: Jordan(40)/Majarle(8)
SF: George(36)Majarle(12)
PF: Nowitzki(38)/Horford(10)
C: Walton(34)/Horford(14)

Walton is a huge steal at $700. Once I saw that price, I knew I wasn’t going with one of the flashier big name centers. But yeah, overall this team would be absolutely terrifying 8-)


Yeah, Walton was the one guy I pretty much knew I couldn't pass up on
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
MO12msu
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 299
Joined: Jun 25, 2013
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2290 » by MO12msu » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 pm

This was fun. (Switch Timmy and Al, had to game the system)

My Draft Summary

Starting PG: Chris Paul ($900)
Starting SG: Joe Dumars ($600)
Starting SF: Paul George ($800)
Starting PF: Anthony Davis ($900)
Starting C: Al Horford ($600)
Reserve SG: Manu Ginobili ($800)
Reserve SF: Tayshaun Prince ($600)
Reserve PF: Tim Duncan ($1,200)
Total Price: $6,400
Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 23,563
And1: 9,407
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2291 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Agreed, Walton at $700 is a steal, because the premise is that everyone involved is healthy and this is for one playoff run. A healthy, peak Walton is easily worth more, and it allows me to stack my squad more.

My Draft Summary

Starting PG: Chauncey Billups ($800)
Starting SG: Jimmy Butler ($700)
Starting SF: LeBron James ($1,300)
Starting PF: Kevin Garnett ($1,000)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve SF: Andre Iguodala ($700)
Reserve C: Al Horford ($600)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Total Price: $6,400
Build your own lineup at https://NBAFantasyDraft.com
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,129
And1: 17,618
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2292 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Image

In case anyone missed the new shockingly skinny jokic. Assuming play does resume, how do you see this going? Personally I'm a little worried. Giving me skinny Kevin Love vibes where he won't be able to take advantage of his size down low like in the past. I do wonder if he'd be able to create for himself a little more off the dribble. Also, some made the point that he could put some weight back on by the time games start again.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,483
And1: 20,324
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2293 » by E-Balla » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:23 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:Image

In case anyone missed the new shockingly skinny jokic. Assuming play does resume, how do you see this going? Personally I'm a little worried. Giving me skinny Kevin Love vibes where he won't be able to take advantage of his size down low like in the past. I do wonder if he'd be able to create for himself a little more off the dribble. Also, some made the point that he could put some weight back on by the time games start again.

IDK how anyone can see this as a bad thing given how out of shape Jokic looked out there. Dude's been playing restricted minutes basically his whole career because he's fat, this isn't like Kevin Love who could still play at his higher weight with little to no negative effects on his game this is more like Shaq and Embiid.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,129
And1: 17,618
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2294 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:32 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Image

In case anyone missed the new shockingly skinny jokic. Assuming play does resume, how do you see this going? Personally I'm a little worried. Giving me skinny Kevin Love vibes where he won't be able to take advantage of his size down low like in the past. I do wonder if he'd be able to create for himself a little more off the dribble. Also, some made the point that he could put some weight back on by the time games start again.

IDK how anyone can see this as a bad thing given how out of shape Jokic looked out there. Dude's been playing restricted minutes basically his whole career because he's fat, this isn't like Kevin Love who could still play at his higher weight with little to no negative effects on his game this is more like Shaq and Embiid.


Don't really see it that way. He shed the weight after the first month of the season that was holding him back. In the 4OT game against the blazers in the playoffs, every player who played major min aside from McCollum was relatively gassed. Conditioning wasn't an issue for him specifically.

His ability to use his body to create space inside to get off those little flip shots is a big reason he was at the top of the league in clutch scoring this season. Even his DHOs relied on that. All that said, I'd agree being in top shape 100% of the time would be beneficial to him. Ideally he adds a little more weight back and gets the best of both worlds.
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,797
And1: 4,452
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2295 » by ardee » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Image

In case anyone missed the new shockingly skinny jokic. Assuming play does resume, how do you see this going? Personally I'm a little worried. Giving me skinny Kevin Love vibes where he won't be able to take advantage of his size down low like in the past. I do wonder if he'd be able to create for himself a little more off the dribble. Also, some made the point that he could put some weight back on by the time games start again.


That jawline though.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,483
And1: 20,324
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2296 » by E-Balla » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:59 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Image

In case anyone missed the new shockingly skinny jokic. Assuming play does resume, how do you see this going? Personally I'm a little worried. Giving me skinny Kevin Love vibes where he won't be able to take advantage of his size down low like in the past. I do wonder if he'd be able to create for himself a little more off the dribble. Also, some made the point that he could put some weight back on by the time games start again.

IDK how anyone can see this as a bad thing given how out of shape Jokic looked out there. Dude's been playing restricted minutes basically his whole career because he's fat, this isn't like Kevin Love who could still play at his higher weight with little to no negative effects on his game this is more like Shaq and Embiid.


Don't really see it that way. He shed the weight after the first month of the season that was holding him back. In the 4OT game against the blazers in the playoffs, every player who played major min aside from McCollum was relatively gassed. Conditioning wasn't an issue for him specifically.

His ability to use his body to create space inside to get off those little flip shots is a big reason he was at the top of the league in clutch scoring this season. Even his DHOs relied on that. All that said, I'd agree being in top shape 100% of the time would be beneficial to him. Ideally he adds a little more weight back and gets the best of both worlds.

He shed some of the weight to get back to his normal size but his normal size was already out of shape.

I know its hard to forget but he went from this:

Image

To this:

Image
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
GSP
General Manager
Posts: 9,916
And1: 3,824
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2297 » by GSP » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Jokic played 40 minutes a game in his first postseason and 2 7 game series. He also logged in a 64 minute game which was the highest by any player of that game. Despite the fat i never got the sense that his conditioning held him back (minus the first 2 months of this season where he was more out of shape than usual and prolly depressed from Serbias result).
User avatar
LA Bird
Starter
Posts: 2,368
And1: 1,686
Joined: Feb 16, 2015

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2298 » by LA Bird » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:33 am

Late to the game but this is the team I would build with $6,400

Starting PG: Chris Paul ($900)
Starting SG: Michael Jordan ($1,300)
Starting SF: Paul George ($800)
Starting PF: Andrei Kirilenko ($600)
Starting C: Bill Walton ($700)
Reserve SG: Joe Dumars ($600)
Reserve SF: Dan Majerle ($600)
Reserve SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo ($900)

Perfect health makes quite a difference for PG13 who was a completely different player before and after his injury last season.
Ideally, I would have started Giannis at PF but he is stuck at SF for whatever reason according to the position restrictions.
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,797
And1: 4,452
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2299 » by ardee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:30 pm

I had two looks I wanted to try out. The first:

Starting PG: Chris Paul ($900)
Starting SG: Eddie Jones ($700)
Starting SF: Kawhi Leonard ($1,000)
Starting PF: Dirk Nowitzki ($1,000)
Starting C: David Robinson ($1,000)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Reserve SF: Detlef Schrempf ($600)
Reserve C: Tyson Chandler ($600)

Total Price: $6,400

The second:

My Draft Summary

Starting PG: Chauncey Billups ($800)
Starting SG: Reggie Miller ($800)
Starting SF: LeBron James ($1,300)
Starting PF: Chris Bosh ($700)
Starting C: David Robinson ($1,000)
Reserve PG: Kyle Lowry ($600)
Reserve SF: Detlef Schrempf ($600)
Reserve C: Tyson Chandler ($600)

Total Price: $6,400

I would rather play LeBron at the 4 almost always so the inability to switch positions is a bit annoying.
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,797
And1: 4,452
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2300 » by ardee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Starting to get very pessimistic about the NBA actually returning this summer...


Odd timing to say this? It's more or less confirmed that it is.

Return to Player Comparisons