ImageImageImageImageImage

Official trade Julius Randle thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NJ-NYK-17
Junior
And1: 431

Re: Official trade Julius Randle thread 

Post#261 » by NJ-NYK-17 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't want to trade Randle - I want some continuity on this team. We should all be rooting for him to be so good that we want him to retire here
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#262 » by BowlRips » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:54 pm

Love how Randle has been playing of late but if theres an offer out there that includes a future 1st, then you have to take it.
Randle not getting you to the promise land. He's replaceable.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,955

Post#263 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:23 pm

miller got randle looking right. if he keeps playing on this progression, his deal is a bit of a steal. unlike THJ, we could come out on top with this gamble.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#264 » by cgmw » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:29 pm

NJ-NYK-17 wrote:I don't want to trade Randle - I want some continuity on this team. We should all be rooting for him to be so good that we want him to retire here

Knick fans are so beat down that we’d kill for a little treadmill mediocrity.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#265 » by Jay10 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:38 pm

Knicks fans want to tear down the roster every season before the trade deadline, and have yet to realize why the team continues to miss the playoffs.

This is also why it's been so long since a draft pick has gotten a second contract from the team.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#266 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:05 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Oh, you don't think have faith that Mills and Perry will pull off a trade for a haul given Randle's soaring present market value?

I don't get why people want to trade Randle. Unless we getting KAT just keep Randle. Randle is 25 years old, one year older than Brickstaps and is putting up great numbers under Mike Miller. Why not keep him and appreciate him for who he is. We've always wished we had a young stud like Randle and now that we have him people are quick to say "Trade him for picks" only to hope to draft a player like Randle. Makes no sense to me.

Currency of hope. Some folks just like the idea of some unknown draft superstar. Those same folks definitely play scratch off lotteries.

I'm eating that crow right now. I wanted him out but under Miller he looks like a damned good player for the money. He's a gem even if I cringe at some of the things he does. So long as he's not primary ball handler and decider... I'm actually liking Randle.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#267 » by seren » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:24 pm

Even if you completely ignore Fizdale era, there is nothing to write home about leading your team to .500 record. Maybe he is not the most toxic asset out there but the position he plays in the NBA combined with his lack of defense and shot blocking make him useless for a contender. At best he will lead the club to .500. He is certainly not untouchable. I wouldn’t trade him for garbage but I would be happy if we can get a pick and/or young player on rookie contract.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#268 » by cgmw » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:33 pm

seren wrote:Even if you completely ignore Fizdale era, there is nothing to write home about leading your team to .500 record. Maybe he is not the most toxic asset out there but the position he plays in the NBA combined with his lack of defense and shot blocking make him useless for a contender. At best he will lead the club to .500. He is certainly not untouchable. I wouldn’t trade him for garbage but I would be happy if we can get a pick and/or young player on rookie contract.

Problem is, MSG/Dolan demands winning now. Randle’s role is a hedge to appease Dolan while creating room for RJ/Mitch and Frank/Knox (DSJ?) to develop.

The only way he gets traded is if management believes the assets or cap space received could be flipped into the Star they so desperately crave.

Mind you this forever creates a toxic culture because all the Knicks know perfectly well that they’ll be thrown under the bus if management gets even the slightest whiff of a superstar acquisition.

If there’s a non-cynical way of seeing it, it’s that RJ and Mitch could develop into superstars and neither of them play PF.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by BowlRips » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:57 pm

cgmw wrote:
seren wrote:Even if you completely ignore Fizdale era, there is nothing to write home about leading your team to .500 record. Maybe he is not the most toxic asset out there but the position he plays in the NBA combined with his lack of defense and shot blocking make him useless for a contender. At best he will lead the club to .500. He is certainly not untouchable. I wouldn’t trade him for garbage but I would be happy if we can get a pick and/or young player on rookie contract.

Problem is, MSG/Dolan demands winning now. Randle’s role is a hedge to appease Dolan while creating room for RJ/Mitch and Frank/Knox (DSJ?) to develop.

The only way he gets traded is if management believes the assets or cap space received could be flipped into the Star they so desperately crave.

Mind you this forever creates a toxic culture because all the Knicks know perfectly well that they’ll be thrown under the bus if management gets even the slightest whiff of a superstar acquisition.

If there’s a non-cynical way of seeing it, it’s that RJ and Mitch could develop into superstars and neither of them play PF.

What I bolded is what I think Mills is selling to Dolan.
We saw the Post article - they think they are in position to for "disgruntled superstars".
Only way your doing that is with having multiple future draft picks in your ammo.
Which is why I think that if a team like Sacremento comes calling offering a future first/future assets - Mills wouldn't hesitate much to pull the trigger as it aligns with what he needs to sell Dolan on in order to keep his job.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#270 » by BowlRips » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:01 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:miller got randle looking right. if he keeps playing on this progression, his deal is a bit of a steal. unlike THJ, we could come out on top with this gamble.

I mean there were points in THJ's contract we thought it was a decent deal.
I don't think Randle's deal will ever be considered the albatross that THJ's was because of the length but if another team is gonna look at his contract as a huge positive then you have to capitalize.
If you asked this board two weeks ago if Randle had any trade value, they'd say no.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,256

Post#271 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:34 pm

Randle can put up numbers and can be good in the right spot.

My issue has always been I don’t like the fit if we are building around Mitch, RJ and whatever PG we have. With Randle, you have to play a certain way and you need to build around his skillset. Just doesn’t seem like we have the right pieces to do that successfully if we are keeping Mitch/RJ.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#272 » by Fat Kat » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:39 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,126

Post#273 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:40 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Randle can put up numbers and can be good in the right spot.

My issue has always been I don’t like the fit if we are building around Mitch, RJ and whatever PG we have. With Randle, you have to play a certain way and you need to build around his skillset. Just doesn’t seem like we have the right pieces to do that successfully if we are keeping Mitch/RJ.

Is that really what the plan is though? To build around Mitch and RJ, and whatever?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:41 pm

So are folks looking for a Randle type offensive talent (who can rebound and pass well) that can also defend and shoot 3's? Just want to do a reality check cause you can count those type players on one hand.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Post#275 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:47 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

RaNdLE’s IsSUeS aRE bEyOnd CoAcHiNg
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,917

Post#276 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:47 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Randle can put up numbers and can be good in the right spot.

it's really about how much rj can improve his shooting and if randle can maintain his outside shot. but i think they got randle for 2 reasons.

1. to see if he can be a late blooming all-star like oladipo
2. to act as a placeholder for a better player in the future. as an advertisement that the pieces around randle are good enough to support an all-star. that's what's they're gonna try to prove for the rest of this year and next. then hopefully they go into summer 2021 attracting someone even better.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:54 pm

god shammgod wrote:

it's really about how much rj can improve his shooting and if randle can maintain his outside shot. but i think they got randle for 2 reasons.

2. to act as a placeholder for a better player in the future. as an advertisement that the pieces around randle are good enough to support an all-star. that's what's they're gonna try to prove for the rest of this year and next. then hopefully they go into summer 2021 attracting someone even better.

Definitely could be. And if Randle does step up his game and show some more consistency and improvement in his weak areas what you may have is that "Robin" or "Ace the Bat Hound" to attract the ever elusive "superstar" (or two). The one thing that has been pretty clear to me is that no superstar wants to come to the Knicks in their current state unless there is someone already on the team that can be at least considered a star level or near star level talent. Randle right now is a borderline all-star level player (not superstar obviously). If Randle can uptick a bit he would make the Knicks more attractive for free agents which, at the end of the day, is what I think this current Knick regime's "plan" (such as it is) is based on.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,917

Post#278 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:01 pm

moocow007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Definitely could be. And if Randle does step up his game and show some more consistency and improvement in his weak areas what you may have is that "Robin" or "Ace the Bat Hound" to attract the ever elusive "superstar" (or two). The one thing that has been pretty clear to me is that no superstar wants to come to the Knicks in their current state unless there is someone already on the team that can be at least considered a star level or near star level talent. Randle right now is a borderline all-star level player (not superstar obviously). If Randle can uptick a bit he would make the Knicks more attractive for free agents which, at the end of the day, is what I think this current Knick regime's "plan" (such as it is) is based on.

yep. he got the short deal because they're hedging their bets. but yes, maybe he can be "robin". but if a team around him can get to .500 than what can a team with 2 all-stars do ? so maybe even if he can be a robin, they still dump him for a better one if they're able to. the way the nets did with d'lo.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,440

Post#279 » by KnicksGod » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:12 pm

god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

yep. he got the short deal because they're hedging their bets. but yes, maybe he can be "robin". but if a team around him can get to .500 than what can a team with 2 all-stars do ? so maybe even if he can be a robin, they still dump him for a better one if they're able to. the way the nets did with d'lo.

The way the Nets *thought* they were doing.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#280 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:12 pm

moocow007 wrote:So are folks looking for a Randle type offensive talent (who can rebound and pass well) that can also defend and shoot 3's? Just want to do a reality check cause you can count those type players on one hand.

If it’s just bigs I’m not sure it even goes one hand
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks