Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

rickbrunson
Junior
And1: 294

Re: Eddy Curry and How Fans Treat Athletes (Players' Tribune piece) 

Post#81 » by rickbrunson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Hero_Panda wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
I didn't notice that in the article

Literally the first words of the article:

People got jokes.
Everyone, it seems like.
Jokes for days.
When the topic is Eddy Curry, the jokes just come easy. It’s been that way for more than a decade. And even after all these years that I’ve been out of the league, when my name comes up online or on social media or whatever, somehow a bunch of people … still got jokes.

/readingcomprehension

Ok, but where does it say "you can't criticize anything I've ever done."

Here's some more excerpts from the article:

As a father — as a man — you’re responsible for the children you bring into this world, no matter what the situation is. You need to be accountable and look out for those little ones. I needed to do that. I needed to protect my daughter.

And I didn’t.

In so many ways.

I failed her.

And the what-ifs still haunt me to this day.

Now, when you Google my name, you get links to articles with titles like “Top 10 Athletes Who Are Rumored To Be Gay” and “Which Athletes Have the Gay Rumor Mill Buzzing.”

Hahahah fat-ass, broke-ass, GAY-ASS Eddy Curry. LOLOLOL.

People will always have jokes.

That’s just how it goes. Especially when you don’t end up being what everyone thought you would be.

With me, when I was going through my most painful **** — the most difficult times in my entire life, stuff that was just unimaginably rough for me — people have always been right there, ready to step up to make fun of it.

It used to really bug me.

But now … you know what? Now, in some ways, I almost view it as a blessing. Seeing that nastiness take place, again and again, has enabled me to realize that maybe even just having one person who isn’t looking to tear you down and laugh at your failures and make you feel less than human … maybe that can actually be enough to get you through.

And for me that person, without a doubt, is my wife, Patrice.

And on those days when I for some reason get sucked into the comments section online and end up seeing some of the stuff people still say about me all these years later, all I have to do is look across the room at my children, or at Patrice, and I instantly realize the difference between what’s not important….

And what is.

You can criticize him all you want if that your prerogative. The article doesn't scream out that people aren't allowed to criticize him.

Imagine looking for the literal words and not understanding inference.
Why doesn't he just tell his story? He brings up the joke stuff for a reason. He's trying to shame people for it.
rickbrunson
Junior

Post#82 » by rickbrunson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Capn'O wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
I didn't notice that in the article

People got jokes.
Everyone, it seems like.
Jokes for days.
When the topic is Eddy Curry, the jokes just come easy. It’s been that way for more than a decade. And even after all these years that I’ve been out of the league, when my name comes up online or on social media or whatever, somehow a bunch of people … still got jokes.

/readingcomprehension

Asking people to understand him better before they make fun of him is not the same as claiming immunity to criticism.

/readingcomprehension

bro, repeating someone else's dig at you back to them is so epic.
how will I ever recover? :lol:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Post#83 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 pm

rickbrunson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:

People got jokes.
Everyone, it seems like.
Jokes for days.

/readingcomprehension

Asking people to understand him better before they make fun of him is not the same as claiming immunity to criticism.

/readingcomprehension

You actually made a dig at a different poster

/readingcomprehension
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#84 » by Pinkyring » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Sulico wrote:The guy was pure trash, on and off the court.
Had no work ethic, or any discipline for that matter, was terrible at about every aspect of the game except scoring under the rim.
Really dumb with money, relationships, you name it.
And yeah, he was fat NBA player! This is so ridiculous, it can't be not funny.

So now he what, thinks it all just doesn't matter because he had some tragedy in his life. Everybody have tragedies in their life.

How about instead of sponsoring your "homies" you take care of your second family, if you were dumb enough to make it, buy them some nice house and move them to safe neighborhood? How about you actually do your job, especially if it's one of the greatest job in the world.

I have no sympathy for this guy. Life gave him a lot of chances, chances 99.9999% of us don't have, and he blew them all and now he tries to act like a victim. He's not, he's just a dumb, lazy dude and people have the right to ridicule him for it.

You think being fat or lazy makes him a terrible person? Imo judging someone harshly from a distance is much worse than what you condemn him for. He doesn't need your sympathy, but the alternative to that isn't being a dick. Indifference is fine.

Being fat and lazy makes him fat and lazy, having a wife and a having another family on the side makes him a terrible person
rickbrunson
Junior

Post#85 » by rickbrunson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Capn'O wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

/readingcomprehension

You actually made a dig at a different poster

/readingcomprehension

Woah, tripling down. So cringe. :lol: Do it again :lol:
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#86 » by EAS Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.

There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does he keep bringing that up like it bothers him?

Probably for the same reasons that “people who identify as...” take such offense when others don’t acknowledge their choices.

There’s nothing wrong with being gay, but why must someone who isn’t gay accept being addressed as or perceived as something he/she is not?
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#87 » by EAS Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 pm

rickbrunson wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:

People got jokes.
Everyone, it seems like.
Jokes for days.

/readingcomprehension

Ok, but where does it say "you can't criticize anything I've ever done."

Here's some more excerpts from the article:

As a father — as a man — you’re responsible for the children you bring into this world, no matter what the situation is. You need to be accountable and look out for those little ones. I needed to do that. I needed to protect my daughter.

And I didn’t.

In so many ways.

I failed her.

And the what-ifs still haunt me to this day.

Now, when you Google my name, you get links to articles with titles like “Top 10 Athletes Who Are Rumored To Be Gay” and “Which Athletes Have the Gay Rumor Mill Buzzing.”

Hahahah fat-ass, broke-ass, GAY-ASS Eddy Curry. LOLOLOL.

People will always have jokes.

That’s just how it goes. Especially when you don’t end up being what everyone thought you would be.

With me, when I was going through my most painful **** — the most difficult times in my entire life, stuff that was just unimaginably rough for me — people have always been right there, ready to step up to make fun of it.

It used to really bug me.

But now … you know what? Now, in some ways, I almost view it as a blessing. Seeing that nastiness take place, again and again, has enabled me to realize that maybe even just having one person who isn’t looking to tear you down and laugh at your failures and make you feel less than human … maybe that can actually be enough to get you through.

And for me that person, without a doubt, is my wife, Patrice.

And on those days when I for some reason get sucked into the comments section online and end up seeing some of the stuff people still say about me all these years later, all I have to do is look across the room at my children, or at Patrice, and I instantly realize the difference between what’s not important….

And what is.

You can criticize him all you want if that your prerogative. The article doesn't scream out that people aren't allowed to criticize him.

Imagine looking for the literal words and not understanding inference.
Why doesn't he just tell his story? He brings up the joke stuff for a reason. He's trying to shame people for it.

I mean, maybe you’re just incredibly dense but the entire article is encouraging people to step back and realize that Eddy Curry is a human being and not some character on TV, who has made mistakes and also been through severe tragedy that no person should have to experience.

It’s called empathy. The article also touches on maturity and understanding that some things are beyond jokes, or should be at least.
NoBias
Sixth Man
And1: 2,169

Post#88 » by NoBias » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm

rickbrunson wrote:I love the concept of "bad things happened to me, therefore, you can't criticize anything I've ever done."
Nobody laughed at Eddy Curry because his side piece got killed, or because he went bankrupt.
We laughed at Eddy Curry because he was lazy, entitled, and never worked hard to live up to expectations his entire career.
Those are legitimate criticisms that are purely his own fault. Him trying to parlay his victimhood into saying he can't be criticized/laughed at is a joke itself.

imagine calling someone lazy and entitled over basketball

it's bigger than ball bro
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#89 » by EAS Law » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does he keep bringing that up like it bothers him?

If you’re not gay and someone constantly accuses you of being gay it’s going to bother you. Like if you kept insisting a gay person was straight, it would bother them too. People always looking to get offended when there’s nothing to be offended about.

That's offensive and homophobic.

Nobody would tease a gay person about being straight and if they tried the gay person wouldn't care. "Straight" is not considered an insult.

Wait wait wait... there’s nothing wrong with being gay, but you imply that being called gay is an insult—because being called straight isn’t?

Are you sure you’re aware of what you’re so “offended” about?

Do you also speak for all gay people that none would care about being addressed as straight?

Trying to keep this on topic, Eddy Curry has just as much right to be properly addressed and perceived as heterosexual as any “non-binary” or “trans” person has to be considered whatever they identify as.
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#90 » by MrCheerios » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.

There's nothing wrong with being a woman. Should Chaz Bono or other female-to-male transgender people not be upset if people continually refer to them as women?
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#91 » by Maf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 pm

Reasons to make fun of Eddy Curry was things like:

When Eddy Curry was with the Bulls when Scott Skiles was the coach. When a reporter asked Skiles what if anything can Eddy do to increase his rebounding? Skiles answered with one word…."jump."

or when Bill Simmons wrote article about biggest NBA rivalries and wrote something like Eddy Curry vs Salad Table. (can't find exact quote)

or when NY Knicks fans went like: "Yeah we have Marbury, Zach AAANNDD Eddy Curry. He can easily be 20+10 guy, best center in the league" and we were laughing our asses off.

Noone is going ha ha his kid died or something. Nothing changed. It's still ok to make fun of lazy, really dumb kid who got great gift of his body that made him earn 70 millions dollars and he ended up broke.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#92 » by GordanFreeman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Maf wrote: Noone is going ha ha his kid died or something. Nothing changed. It's still ok to make fun of lazy, really dumb kid who got great gift of his body that made him earn 70 millions dollars and he ended up broke.

Why make of him though? What do you gain from doing that?
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#93 » by MrCheerios » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
Maf wrote: Noone is going ha ha his kid died or something. Nothing changed. It's still ok to make fun of lazy, really dumb kid who got great gift of his body that made him earn 70 millions dollars and he ended up broke.

You don't like making fun of fat people? Or dumb people? Or broke people? Everyone knows they don't have feelings. Even if they do it doesn't matter because we are superior to them.

/s
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#94 » by Maf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:

I... think I might be getting trapped in being misunderstood by my poor english. Or... maybe I am not. What do you gain of making fun? Good laugh. That **** cures everything. My co-worker has only one hand. He has the greatest dark humour jokes you can imagine. Like: "I envy you guys so much... for having the opportunity to switch hands while masturbating."

I think philosophy is in a way like you see someone fall in really funny way on iced sidewalk. Do you first laugh really hard, you are happy you didn't step on that and then go to check if he is OK or do you immediately feel sorry and bad and hurt and... In first case you have your mood up, in second down. So when Eddy wrote he send his friend to mail something and that guy added he gets 10% of his money you first laugh, then you feel happy because you know that your true friends would never do that and then feel sorry Eddy didn't know better.

I guess it goes hand in hand with ability not just give a joke, but take one too. Do you want to always feel sorry, understanding, conprehensible? Go on. To me anything that makes you having fun is ok. If Curry started saying I am gay and I tried to force him to something I would laugh my ass off. Do you want to make fun of my wife loosing a baby recently? Feel free. Do you want to make fun of my son who is autistic? Go on. Or you can joke it is me who makes (Please Use More Appropriate Word) kids, I don't mind.

I am just responding to people who are like "I shouldn't make fun of Eddy, he had bad times." No, it is absolutely fine to make fun of him. **** happens. To all of us. We have to deal with it. And with humour it is so much easier.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#95 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am

Fans didn't treat Curry well because he half assed it as a player. He deserved scorn and the only reason he is writing an article like this is because so much time has passed that most NBA fans either don't remember or care that he stole money from the Knicks and ate himself out of the league.

He was nicknamed baby shaq at the time of the trade and when he finally retired (he was too fat to play they basically benched him) his nickname instead was mr big mac well I made that last one up but you get the point. He literally played 10 games under Mike Dantoni in 3 years because he was too fat to run up and down the court.

Then there is the fact not only did he steal money from the knicks but Isiah traded if memory serves two first round draft picks one of which the pick ended up being 2nd overall which was Lamarcus Alridge spot you may have heard of him he is still playing.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#96 » by DaPessimist » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 am

Ultimately we are all accountable for the decisions we make.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: 

Post#97 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm

when you turn 18, you are a a grown man and responsible for your decisions, that is the law, and modern society wants to pretend they're kids. Dude had 2 kids in secret, and didn't even provide for them, while paying people's cell phone bills to get their approval. And it's okay because he didn't love his job. What a joke.
Drou
Junior
And1: 400

Post#98 » by Drou » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:when you turn 18, you are a a grown man and responsible for your decisions, that is the law, and modern society wants to pretend they're kids. Dude had 2 kids in secret, and didn't even provide for them, while paying people's cell phone bills to get their approval. And it's okay because he didn't love his job. What a joke.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't even finished reading the article, found it incredibly boring. What a cry baby this guy just utterly pathetic.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,489

Post#99 » by SomeBunghole » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm

I just have no sympathy for the former players who complain how they never actually loved basketball(looking at you Darko).

I don't get it. Nobody forced you to play basketball or be in the NBA. It's a tremendous opportunity you should be grateful for. Or, if you really hate it so much, that you should say no to. I get that you were 18 or 19 and all that, but you were not a child. There were so many ways to deal with this.

I get that money is obscene and that one would be hard pressed to make anything close to that kind of money doing anything else. Especially at 19. But if you really don't like basketball, you could play out your rookie contract(10-15 million back in those days, depending on whether or not the team picks up your 4th year option) and then you can stop playing the sport you hate. Even after taxes, you'd have enough money to live very comfortably the rest of your life. You could get the sweet car, buy your momma a house, play video games all day, whatever.

You could also be grateful and say this is an amazing opportunity and actually try your hardest to be the best player you can be. Most people don't work in their dream job, and this especially goes for 19-year olds. Who on this forum had a job they spent their childhood dreaming of at 19? I sure didn't, but I still cared enough to do my best at the job I had. Trust me, I wanted to play video games all day when I was 19, too.

I get that many terrible things happened to Curry at some were not his fault in the least. It would've been nice though, for him to acknowledge that one of the big ones was. He was given a tremendous opportunity with many ways to handle it and many outcomes, and he seemingly chose the worst. That's not on the NBA, not on the society, not on his crappy friends. That's on him.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,011

Post#100 » by rockmanslim » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Well worth the read, wow.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Return to The General Board