ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,455

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19 

Post#1801 » by SichtingLives » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am

I haven't been able to get my hands on clorox wipes or disinfectant spray at all since this started. Got some gloves at least. And now it's like the risk of going out to stores looking for it is less safe than just sitting at home isolated. Ironically I only want them for when I have to go shopping, I wiped down a trunkful of goods with a bleach mix last week item by item and it took about 45 minutes but it made me feel better. pita tho the paper towels kept rippin. first world covid problems.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,455

Post#1802 » by SichtingLives » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:50 am

I wrote this song a few weeks ago when corono popped up. It is basically corona themed in a muted 'oh **** we're gonna die" way melancholy but a little sweet too. Anyway only took 2 days from conception to "mastering" which is crazy as it usually takes me months or years to get a song the way I like it. Well, here's cheers

https://soundcloud.com/twostreetsover/passengers-in-time
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1803 » by The Corey's » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

VeryMuchWoke wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:
I think that's incredibly optimistic. I expect it's going to be between 500K and 3M.

If 3 million people die then you gotta seriously think about holding someone accountable.

Sorry people but you dont wash your hands and say I'm fine if 3 million people die from a virus the president until 3 weeks ago claimed was an attack from the left to gain traction in the election.

That said. I dont see it getting that high. That's insane.

The US has 327M people. I've seen estimates that 20-70% will be infected, and that sounds like a reasonable range to be.

I'd say the fatality rate is between 0.5% and 3%. With everyone having perfect access to ventilators, ICU beds, etc it's much closer to the lower bound, but given how far we are from that reality I think 0.5% is our best case fatality rate.

At 20% Infected:

0.5% means 327K fatalities
1% means 654K fatalities
2% means 1.5M fatalities
3% means 1.96M fatalities

At 70% Infected:

O.5% means 1.15M fatalities
1% means 2.3M fatalities
2% means 4.58M fatalities
3% means 6.87M fatalities

I understand the numbers and as far as I can tell they dont take into account who has the virus and never knows.

Looks if 3 million people die from this you can expect a world war.

Look at the **** show this country is in now and we've only just crossed the 2000 mark.

3 million is 3 times as many people who live in my own state.

That many people dying through communist china denial and conservative White House incompetence will not go unpunished.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,338

Post#1804 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm

claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#1805 » by claycarver » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:12 pm

reload141 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The more people keep doing this, the longer this thing will drag on. Sigh.
Read on Twitter

Is it like this in the shops over there though? We go to farmers markets still to get our food, my wife just goes in by herself and I look after the kids at another location... the shops are just as bad here with people packing into them

I agree. How is that worse than Costco? Seems like outdoors would be better than indoor.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1806 » by KGboss » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Tupac, Mr. Biggs - Better Dayz

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1807 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 pm

claycarver wrote:
reload141 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The more people keep doing this, the longer this thing will drag on. Sigh.
Read on Twitter

Is it like this in the shops over there though? We go to farmers markets still to get our food, my wife just goes in by herself and I look after the kids at another location... the shops are just as bad here with people packing into them

I agree. How is that worse than Costco? Seems like outdoors would be better than indoor.

I've been lucky so far then. The supermarket near me limits the number of customers that goes in at a time. People observe social distancing when queuing outside. My friends who live in the city choose to shop online instead and have their groceries delivered.

Even then, I'm still not confident that I didn't contract the virus in the 3 times I went on a grocery run past 3 weeks.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,413

Post#1808 » by Parliament10 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,413

Post#1809 » by Parliament10 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:18 pm

My Oldest Grandson is no longer going to Boot Camp on April 2nd.
They called him yesterday and told him that his deployment has been delayed indefinitely, due to the COVID-19.

I was beginning to wonder.
It didn't seem a good idea to bring in Young Adults from all over the U.S., for a Boot Camp.

I haven't seem him in-person in awhile. But we've been communication online and through text.
Hopefully, I'll get to see this Fine Young Man, before he does ship out. Proud of that Kid.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1810 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Hate is such a strong word, but I do hate your so-called president. It's fine that I get the timeout. I need it actually.
Read on Twitter
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,148

Post#1811 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:53 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Hate is such a strong word, but I do hate your so-called president. It's fine that I get the timeout. I need it actually.
Read on Twitter

Don't get timeouts, this thread has been great for the most part (which is a realgm miracle with the inherently political nature of criticizing the response to covid) and you are a part of that. I'm bored af and need you guys to help keep me sane.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,736

Post#1812 » by Slax » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:58 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Hate is such a strong word, but I do hate your so-called president. It's fine that I get the timeout. I need it actually.
Read on Twitter

I was talking to another New Yorker about my plans to order Chinese food the other day.

Friend: "What if they have been to China recently?"
Me: "What if they've been to NEW YORK recently?"
Friend: "...good point"
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,684

Post#1813 » by Froob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Me right now

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1814 » by Slax » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 pm

We're about to start a huge crunch in New York where the peak of COVID-19 hospitalizations is going to coincide with a bunch of health care staff getting sick and not being able to take care of patients. A large percentage of staff at my wife's hospital are already quarantined because of COVID-19 right now, especially in emergency medicine and internal medicine, so they're pulling people from other specialties to partially make up the gap. Everyone is spooked about the two nurses who died in other hospitals in NYC - they were heroes who died saving others, and they should be mourned the same way we mourn soldiers who fall in battle. They have started providing daily PPE packs (mask, disposable gown, face shield, etc) to try to preserve what staff they have left. Who knows how long supplies will last for daily use - they're being instructed to save whatever they can in case they need to reuse ppe later if supply chains dry up. It's all very unsettling.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,529

Post#1815 » by canman1971 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Slax wrote:We're about to start a huge crunch in New York where the peak of COVID-19 hospitalizations is going to coincide with a bunch of health care staff getting sick and not being able to take care of patients. A large percentage of staff at my wife's hospital are already quarantined because of COVID-19 right now, especially in emergency medicine and internal medicine, so they're pulling people from other specialties to partially make up the gap. Everyone is spooked about the two nurses who died in other hospitals in NYC - they were heroes who died saving others, and they should be mourned the same way we mourn soldiers who fall in battle. They have started providing daily PPE packs (mask, disposable gown, face shield, etc) to try to preserve what staff they have left. Who knows how long supplies will last for daily use - they're being instructed to save whatever they can in case they need to reuse ppe later if supply chains dry up. It's all very unsettling.

I and one'd your post, but I wish I didn't have to. Just an awful, unknown thing that's going on.
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1816 » by Slax » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Slax wrote:We're about to start a huge crunch in New York where the peak of COVID-19 hospitalizations is going to coincide with a bunch of health care staff getting sick and not being able to take care of patients. A large percentage of staff at my wife's hospital are already quarantined because of COVID-19 right now, especially in emergency medicine and internal medicine, so they're pulling people from other specialties to partially make up the gap. Everyone is spooked about the two nurses who died in other hospitals in NYC - they were heroes who died saving others, and they should be mourned the same way we mourn soldiers who fall in battle. They have started providing daily PPE packs (mask, disposable gown, face shield, etc) to try to preserve what staff they have left. Who knows how long supplies will last for daily use - they're being instructed to save whatever they can in case they need to reuse ppe later if supply chains dry up. It's all very unsettling.

I and one'd your post, but I wish I didn't have to. Just an awful, unknown thing that's going on.

I feel like I've been a bit if a Debbie Downer on RealGM lately so I'm sorry for that. There have been positive developments too! A few things people here should feel good about:

1. Social distancing really works at slowing growth, which makes a huge difference in the strain on health care systems. States that started social distancing earlier in their growth curves hopefully shouldn't be hit nearly as hard as New York.

2. There has been at least a temporary surge in PPE available. This will help protect health care workers from getting sick, which will improve staffing and reduce spreading within hospitals.

3. Testing is becoming easier and faster and more scalable. My wife's hospital now has in-house testing, which is much faster than sending out samples to the city department of health. As on-premises rapid testing starts to roll out everywhere, we won't be flying blind the way we were early in the crisis. Contact tracing will become a lot easier, especially when we have enough tests to start identifying asymptomatic carriers in the future.

4. Ventilator production is scaling. It's going to take a few weeks, but there are new, simpler ventilators that can be rapidly produced at scale. That will help with the medium to long term shortage.

Longer term, I think there are a lot of positive signs that things are going in the right direction. We just have this huge disaster over the next two months we need to fight through. It's going to be painful and sad, but it's not forever.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1817 » by canman1971 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Slax wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

I feel like I've been a bit if a Debbie Downer on RealGM lately so I'm sorry for that. There have been positive developments too! A few things people here should feel good about:

1. Social distancing really works at slowing growth, which makes a huge difference in the strain on health care systems. States that started social distancing earlier in their growth curves hopefully shouldn't be hit nearly as hard as New York.

2. There has been at least a temporary surge in PPE available. This will help protect health care workers from getting sick, which will improve staffing and reduce spreading within hospitals.

3. Testing is becoming easier and faster and more scalable. My wife's hospital now has in-house testing, which is much faster than sending out samples to the city department of health. As on-premises rapid testing starts to roll out everywhere, we won't be flying blind the way we were early in the crisis. Contact tracing will become a lot easier, especially when we have enough tests to start identifying asymptomatic carriers in the future.

4. Ventilator production is scaling. It's going to take a few weeks, but there are new, simpler ventilators that can be rapidly produced at scale. That will help with the medium to long term shortage.

Longer term, I think there are a lot of positive signs that things are going in the right direction. We just have this huge disaster over the next two months we need to fight through. It's going to be painful and sad, but it's not forever.

Oh brother, don't feel you are a debbie downer. Your information is real and very helpful, at least for those who listen.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,148

Post#1818 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Slax wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was talking to another New Yorker about my plans to order Chinese food the other day.

Friend: "What if they have been to China recently?"
Me: "What if they've been to NEW YORK recently?"
Friend: "...good point"

I have a 65 year old friend who is definitely a progressive guy, open minded, etc. who has weekly visits with a counselor to help manage his bi-polar disorder and these visits take place on a college campus. When this whole thing started hitting the U.S. he said he was nervous to go to the campus, "because they have a lot of Asian students". I gave him the Rock eyebrow.

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#1819 » by canman1971 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Same here (currently miles away from the main metropolitan area). The governor announced Thursday night that the province will be on "extreme enhanced community quarantine" starting Sunday midnight and people rushed to the market and groceries yesterday and today. We were already on "enhanced community quarantine." I fear that a SINGLE **** WORD just made our situation much worse than it already is. In reality, the protocols will just be a bit stricter starting tomorrow and people went on to panic-buy. Sighhh.

And outside of walks, I have left my house 2 times in 2 weeks for food and such.

Ok, maybe we do have too many idiots. But Liberty University, for example - it's not stupidity, just stubbornness and irrationality.

Stubbornness + Irrationality= Stupidity.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1820 » by SMTBSI » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Jurry wrote:I wrote this song a few weeks ago when corono popped up. It is basically corona themed in a muted 'oh **** we're gonna die" way melancholy but a little sweet too. Anyway only took 2 days from conception to "mastering" which is crazy as it usually takes me months or years to get a song the way I like it. Well, here's cheers

https://soundcloud.com/twostreetsover/passengers-in-time

Anyone else ever find it strange to be reminded that people on the internet are real human beings, with actual talents and interesting lives, etc.? Sure, you're all Celtic Family, but it's always kind of jarring to me to put a face to a handle. I've always tried to stay anonymous on the internet. I do sometimes wonder if that's overly paranoid...

Anyway, good stuff, man. I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked, but that was pretty darned good.

Return to Boston Celtics