What Happened to Kevin Knox?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

What Happened to Kevin Knox? 

Post#1 » by lamscott » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Was he ever good or was that a mirage. Reports saying Leon Rose has no clue what to do with Knox.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,938

Re: What Happened to Kevin Knox? 

Post#2 » by bisme37 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm

I’m told one of team president Leon Rose’s biggest regrets from the suspension of the season’s final 16 games because of the coronavirus was not getting a closer look at his enigmatic second-year forward. According to a source, Rose still doesn’t know what to make of Knox and doesn’t know if the 20-year-old is part of their future. That is despite Kentucky coach John Calipari’s warning not to trade Knox (Calipari and Rose are close.)

Activity on defense was Knox’s biggest issue, but Knicks metrics showed he improved slightly and started to block more shots. Though he can play three positions on offense (2, 3, 4), he doesn’t seem to have the defensive instincts to be as versatile on the other end. It’s a great point that having Knox, who is officially listed at 6-foot-7 and 215 pounds, guard slower power forwards might be the answer.

Nevertheless, it’s not the only concern. Knox lost his mojo on offense, scoring just 6.4 points per game. He showed signs of being an alert passer, but the Knicks didn’t put him in a position to be that guy.

“Not giving him a runway after the All-Star break was one of the odder things going on in the NBA,’’ one NBA personnel man said. “His motor isn’t high enough yet, but you needed him to play more.’’

In the fall, Rose has to make a decision on whether to exercise the fourth year of Knox’s rookie contract at $5.8 million. For now, Rose appears on the fence.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/knicks-mailbag-leon-rose-not-sure-if-kevin-knox-is-the-answer/
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,701

Post#3 » by PlatinumState » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm

He's still very young (only 20). Averaged 15 & 5 at Kentucky. There's still plenty of time for him, but he needs a dedicated trainer badly. Not sure how motivated he is though
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,509

Post#4 » by ellobo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Why couldn't we have drafted SGA? Why? Why? Why?

No one really knows what to make of Knox. If Rose thinks 16 more games would give him new or better insight, that is disturbing.

Positives: He's still very young, his shot looks beautiful when it goes in (and it looks like it SHOULD go in even when it doesn't), he's shown flashes of being able to score in a variety of ways (with his 3 point shot, attacking the rim -- especially driving right, nice touch on his floater, attacking in transition), and he's had a number of surprising highlight blocked shots.

Negatives: Clueless low-motor conscientious objector on defense and on the boards (gets blown by by quicker players and bullied by stronger players, often out of position, doesn't read and anticipate well, and often just doesn't look like he's trying), general passivity and inconsistency, poor passing, poor playmaking off the dribble, inefficient shooting (despite how nice his stroke LOOKS).

Basically, he's just been a bad NBA player. Any positive future projection is based on him getting much better (more efficient and consistent) at what he does well and fixing a lot of things that he doesn't do well. There's enough there that it's not crazy to believe in him, but personally I'm not buying in. By "believe in him," I mean believe that he can be a productive rotation player. His floor is what he is now and I see his ceiling as Harrison Barnes (their numbers for their first two seasons are remarkably similar).
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,467

Post#5 » by Slim Charlez » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:48 pm

He sucks. Teams were high on him based on his shot and build but I don't think there's anything he's particularly good at. Jeff Green 2.0
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:48 pm

He was never that great of a prospect. There was no area where he really stood out. He was average at best as a shooter, average at best as a defender and pretty much a nothing in terms of faciliting or handle.
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#7 » by gabri3l3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Slim Charlez wrote:He sucks. Teams were high on him based on his shot and build but I don't think there's anything he's particularly good at. Jeff Green 2.0

Jeff Green has been a pretty decent and productive NBA player throughout his career especially when he was younger
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#8 » by knicksNOTslick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:53 pm

He has talent, but not too sure about his motivation or desire to be the best basketball player he can be. I question his motor and bball IQ a lot during the games. He's capable but makes too many dumb plays, like he'll barrel into the defender to force the shot when we all know he's capable of finding a better shot. Just horrible decisions usually one play after another that you kinda wanna pull him from the game for killing momentum. Granted he's only 20, but I don't know how much he'll really improve because I just don't see the fire in him. When a player disappears in games a lot and makes no impact, or worse, gives you a negative impact, it's not very often that they'll improve by leaps and bounds as they get older. I just don't see him getting that much better, maybe someone will give up an early 2nd rounder for him and I'll take it.
Marcus_Shart
Starter
And1: 3,599

Post#9 » by Marcus_Shart » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm

On June 21st 2018, Kevin Knox was drafted by the New York Knicks with the 9th overall pick......
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#10 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Was he ever supposed to be that good? I never heard much hype from him. Many Knicks fans didn't want them to draft him. His defense isn't good and he can't shoot. Another bad pick by Dolan's front office.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,467

Post#11 » by Slim Charlez » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:11 pm

gabri3l3 wrote:
Slim Charlez wrote:He sucks. Teams were high on him based on his shot and build but I don't think there's anything he's particularly good at. Jeff Green 2.0

Jeff Green has been a pretty decent and productive NBA player throughout his career especially when he was younger

He's always flattered to deceive especially when you consider some of his tools. Granted I'd rather have Jeff Green than Knox 100 times out of 100.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#12 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Another example of a guy that is suffering from the lack of a supportive head coach and institutional culture. Which is not to say Fiz was a bad coach, he just never seemed able to command the respect of the players and organization in general. I'm not sure what the answer is for the Knicks but they would benefit from bringing in a coach that is the dominant figure within the organization but those guys tend to have jobs.

See if MJax will relocate. Maybe the Knicks need someone ruthless that will create a bunker-like mentality with the players that it's them against the FO and the owner. Could really work to pit the players against Dolan.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,053

Post#13 » by Duffman100 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm

I'd take a shot, if the price is cheap. Take a shot in a new system that isn't the Knicks.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#14 » by hyper316 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 pm

I thought i read somewhere he plays a lot of video games and stay up late
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,313

Post#15 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:50 pm

The Knicks should’ve drafted either Bridges in the 2018 draft ahead of Knox. I thought they were better prospects at the time, and still feel that way. He also went ahead of SGA and Michael Porter jr. (who was dealing with a pretty significant injury, to be fair, but I would’ve still taken the chance on him).

But, the Knicks drafted him and not those guys — so looking at why he’s struggled/struggling :

The Knicks aren’t a very good developmental team. They generally don’t do a great job of bringing young talent along. Having Fizdale as the coach for this young team didn’t help things either.

So he’s spent two years under a head coach whose competency has been questioned, for a franchise whose ineptitude is unquestionable. The point guard positions has been sub-par to say the least between DSJ, Ntlikina, Payton, Mudiay (dating back to 2019), so it’s not like he had someone making it easier for guys out there either. Finally, they drafted a SF, RJ Barrett and decided to bring Knox off the bench. He never developed a rhythm in 2020 after just barely hitting some sort of a stride 75% of the way though his rookie season.

Still, as much as he’s struggled and though he was undeservingly drafted ahead of guys who he isn’t better than, I could see a more competent organization maximizing his potential. He’s young, athletic, versatile and a solid shooter so there’s plenty to work with but I don’t think the Knicks are the team to bring it out of him.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#16 » by Dino353 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:55 pm

It’s a confidence issue.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,071

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:01 pm

I do think that every young player in New York deserves a shot to develop in a healthier environment (one with shooting a players that can play positions other than power forward). But I've never been super high on Knox. I remember giving him an extra look in his college season, wondering if he actually had 2-way big wing potential (pretty much the most valuable kind of player). What I saw was a lethargic, average athlete with okay enough skills to be a decent college scorer, but not enough of anything to be a good NBA player. If he could add core strength and become a little twitchier, I could see a good NBA player. But I didn't see the potential then and obviously don't see it now.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,558

Post#18 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:02 pm

"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,430
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:03 pm

It's not confidence. It's not the Knicks development. He sucked in college under Cal. He sucks now. He had no real positives pre draft. He is just an absolutely horrible player that the Knicks took a big reach on. Hami and SGA were clearly better while at Duke and yet we took him over both of them because of one good workout with our FO. Who drafts a player top 10 based on a workout when they have a whole 30+ sample of sucking in college?
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,558

Post#20 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:05 pm

hyper316 wrote:I thought i read somewhere he plays a lot of video games and stay up late

Ya don't say?

"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board