This is the designated thread for Zion hot takes/memes

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,177

Re: This is the designated thread for Zion hot takes/memes 

Post#81 » by donnieme » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is a good breakdown. Didn’t give an ounce of effort on defense. Didn’t even grab a rebound in his 15 mins of play.

But general media hypes this kid up like he’s LeBron lol. He’s a complete negative on defense right now and looks out of shape

That point at 00:15 is also how lazy he has been when put in PnRoll situations. It's not great to bash a rookie but if no one calls it out he'll be on his way to being a PF Harden, whom funny enough started his NBA career playing way better defense than this
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#82 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Any idea how much he weighs right now?
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#83 » by sikma42 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:22 pm

If the min restriction was 15 I wouldn't play him at the end of the game. I think it was the correct move.
Duke4life831 wrote:Somewhat of a sidenote to this topic. I see that Gentry said he didn't play him at the end because he used up all the minutes he was allowed to play. 2 points to this.

1. That basically kills any "he was on a restriction because lack of practice and has nothing to do with physical stuff" out of the water. If it was strictly short minutes to get him caught up with the team, you wouldn't have a super strict minute restriction on him. You only put a strict 15 minute restriction on a player during a playoff push, if there is legit threat of injury.

2. How bad of a coach does Gentry have to be if he didn't plan it out so Zion could be in at the end of a close game? Youd think that would be part of his planning, you know something along the lines of, "hey lets make sure we have a few minutes to spare so we can use him at the end of the game if it becomes a close game". How do you not think that through?

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#84 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:

At the 0:38 mark, Joe Ingles fast/slowbreak for the layup and told Zion Williamson, "Step your fat ass to the side." :lol: What kind of defensive effort is that? That's only a minute into the game. The Duke Zion could have caught the shot in mid air

:lol: I love Ingles

But damn, embarrassing defensive effort there from Zion.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,659

Post#85 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 pm

sikma42 wrote:If the min restriction was 15 I wouldn't play him at the end of the game. I think it was the correct move.
Duke4life831 wrote:Somewhat of a sidenote to this topic. I see that Gentry said he didn't play him at the end because he used up all the minutes he was allowed to play. 2 points to this.

1. That basically kills any "he was on a restriction because lack of practice and has nothing to do with physical stuff" out of the water. If it was strictly short minutes to get him caught up with the team, you wouldn't have a super strict minute restriction on him. You only put a strict 15 minute restriction on a player during a playoff push, if there is legit threat of injury.

2. How bad of a coach does Gentry have to be if he didn't plan it out so Zion could be in at the end of a close game? Youd think that would be part of his planning, you know something along the lines of, "hey lets make sure we have a few minutes to spare so we can use him at the end of the game if it becomes a close game". How do you not think that through?

Then if you're Gentry, why play him the 3-4 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter instead of at the end? Its the same reason coaches sit players when they get in foul trouble, so they will be available at the end of the game just in case its a tight game. I think Zion has been horrible defensively, but no doubt they could've used his offense late in that game yesterday. It seems like him sitting on the bench because Gentry used up all his minutes sounds like really poor planning by Gentry.

That also leads to what I think is the most important question, why does Zion have a 15 minute restriction? That seems very troubling.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,207

Post#86 » by jokeboy86 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:27 pm

I hope Gentry and Griffin are ready because if the Pelicans don’t make the playoffs, ESPN is going to rip them a new one 24/7. They’re all in on Zion and are banking on him heavily from a marketing/ratings standpoint so if the Pelicans brass don’t play him to their liking or showcase him enough and they don’t make the playoffs, ESPN( and probably other national tv heads) will focus on them. They already don’t like that he ended up in New Orleans and would love to start the narrative “Zion should leave N.O.” as early as possible.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#87 » by dautjazz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:If the min restriction was 15 I wouldn't play him at the end of the game. I think it was the correct move.

Then if you're Gentry, why play him the 3-4 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter instead of at the end? Its the same reason coaches sit players when they get in foul trouble, so they will be available at the end of the game just in case its a tight game. I think Zion has been horrible defensively, but no doubt they could've used his offense late in that game yesterday. It seems like him sitting on the bench because Gentry used up all his minutes sounds like really poor planning by Gentry.

That also leads to what I think is the most important question, why does Zion have a 15 minute restriction? That seems very troubling.

He has a 15 minute restriction cause he weighs around 300lbs and he's 6'6", and he has a 45" vertical leap. That combination of being overweight and athletic is DANGEROUS.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,349

Post#88 » by tanuki1031 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:51 am

Everyone got bamboozled. Gearing up for the NBA restart had so much buzz about the Pelicans being included, Zion having a chance to propel the team and make up lost ground for ROY on Morant, Zion himself declaring he's ready and raring to go.

NBA restarts. Zion on a low minutes restriction, mad out of shape, plays only during non-critical times. GG.
Anyone who voted Zion on their ROTY/All-NBA Rookie ballots should be banned from voting.
w3027193
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#89 » by w3027193 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:25 am

LivingLegend wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
Barkley could be a good example for Zion and he should probably get in touch with Chuck.

The difference I'd add is Barkley actually trimmed down from his early college days when I think he admitted he was over 300 lbs. Zion has done nothing but gain weight from his time at Duke when he should have even better trainers and nutritionists at his disposal.

Maybe, but it’s not a hidden secret and these guys can make the changes if they really want too.

They’re all filthy rich so if you can’t do it on your own then you hire a dietician, a chef, and personal trainer and change your lifestyle. But Zion also just turned 20 and sometimes even top shelf athletes don’t want to give up their fast food, their beer, their lifestyle and put in those tough workouts away from the court. Zion just has to decide if he just wants to be a good NBA player or the best possible player he can be.

Do you know how healthy I would be if I had my own personal chef with basically a unlimited budget?

The main reasons why average people are out of shape is 1) Bad food is cheap and 2) Bad food doesnt take much take to prepare

If I had a professional chef that would make me 3 good meals a day and I never had to go shopping or prepare the food myself I would be in incredible shape.

What does a personal chef have to do with eating healthy? Eating healthy has to be a decision a person makes him/herself. There is an incredible lack of education on fitness and nutrition in the United States. (Thanks big corporate lobbyists) Eating healthy is very easy if you put your mind to it. It's not expensive. It does take more time to prepare, I'll give you that.

You wouldn't be in better shape because, if you were in the scenario you described, you would have money/power and you would still have weak willpower. You would say, I'm getting ice cream.

All Zion (you) has to do is educate yourself about nutrition and fitness. He (you) need to understand why he (you) are being recommended to do what trainers say, otherwise he (you) will combat and disregard recommendations. That's human nature.

Everybody on this board is so concerned with covid which certainly has some legitimate reasons. Obesity is by far the biggest killer in the world, especially the fat United States. Obesity has major links to virtually all diseases.

How about we all educate ourselves on the subject and we can all be happy and healthier for it.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#90 » by Chandan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:30 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:

At the 0:38 mark, Joe Ingles fast/slowbreak for the layup and told Zion Williamson, "Step your fat ass to the side." :lol: What kind of defensive effort is that? That's only a minute into the game. The Duke Zion could have caught the shot in mid air

:lol: I love Ingles

But damn, embarrassing defensive effort there from Zion.

did jinglejoe just commented on a colleague's body in a place of work? :lol:
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#91 » by Jstock12 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:03 am

The 15-year veteran Zion, still on the Pels!

Still catching lobs from Lonzo!

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#92 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:54 pm

w3027193 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Maybe, but it’s not a hidden secret and these guys can make the changes if they really want too.

They’re all filthy rich so if you can’t do it on your own then you hire a dietician, a chef, and personal trainer and change your lifestyle. But Zion also just turned 20 and sometimes even top shelf athletes don’t want to give up their fast food, their beer, their lifestyle and put in those tough workouts away from the court. Zion just has to decide if he just wants to be a good NBA player or the best possible player he can be.

Do you know how healthy I would be if I had my own personal chef with basically a unlimited budget?

The main reasons why average people are out of shape is 1) Bad food is cheap and 2) Bad food doesnt take much take to prepare

If I had a professional chef that would make me 3 good meals a day and I never had to go shopping or prepare the food myself I would be in incredible shape.

What does a personal chef have to do with eating healthy? Eating healthy has to be a decision a person makes him/herself. There is an incredible lack of education on fitness and nutrition in the United States. (Thanks big corporate lobbyists) Eating healthy is very easy if you put your mind to it. It's not expensive. It does take more time to prepare, I'll give you that.

You wouldn't be in better shape because, if you were in the scenario you described, you would have money/power and you would still have weak willpower. You would say, I'm getting ice cream.

All Zion (you) has to do is educate yourself about nutrition and fitness. He (you) need to understand why he (you) are being recommended to do what trainers say, otherwise he (you) will combat and disregard recommendations. That's human nature.

Everybody on this board is so concerned with covid which certainly has some legitimate reasons. Obesity is by far the biggest killer in the world, especially the fat United States. Obesity has major links to virtually all diseases.

How about we all educate ourselves on the subject and we can all be happy and healthier for it.

If eating healthy (and listing weight/staying in shape) was as easy as you make it out to be then everyone would be doing it and nobody would be struggling out there. Yet it takes willpower but everyone doesn’t have the same level of willpower and focus for every task/job. Some people (I would argue most people) need help and support.

A personal chef can help someone like Zion stick to a menu plan and eat and regular intervals, two things he’s likely struggling with as someone who just turned 20. And yes, Zion also needs to educate himself but it doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t better achieve his goals with a personal chef, a nutritionist and a personal trainer. Isn’t it clear at this point that he’s struggling to maintain a good physique on his own? Tons of professional athletes have hired these specific types of people to help them already.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,899

Post#93 » by Sofia » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:50 pm

This but Zion’s face

Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Post#94 » by BladeDaywalker » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:53 am

Watching Zion against the Clippers, he just looked like he has too much weight to be able to run up and down the court for over 30 minutes.

At this point, if you are only going to play him for just 15 minutes the rest of the way, then just shut him down for the season.

What exactly did the Pelicans learn or get by having Zion play 14 minutes against the Clippers?
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,025

Post#95 » by DaGawd » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:30 am

So much for inviting the pelicans to the bubble to get in on the Zion hype..
BaF
Washington Wizards
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,659

Post#96 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:38 am

I've said it before, he went from being built like a middle linebacker, to being built like a defensive lineman. You see it in his face, in his shoulders and in his waist. He no longer has any kind of V shape to his body. His face and neck is much thicker.

And worst of all of it, he has drastically lost his stamina and agility.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#97 » by monopoman » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I've said it before, he went from being built like a middle linebacker, to being built like a defensive lineman. You see it in his face, in his shoulders and in his waist. He no longer has any kind of V shape to his body. His face and neck is much thicker.

And worst of all of it, he has drastically lost his stamina and agility.

Dude pulled a Felton, Felton came to the Blazers after the lockout and said he thought that the lockout would last all season. He came in out of shape big time and became a huge target for Blazer fans to voice their disgust of him because of that. To this day Felton receives boos when he comes into The Moda Center despite the fact he only played one season for Portland.

Keep in mind it is now also going on 8 years since he wore a Blazer jersey so fans showing they still remember him from back then.
KungFuJoe
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#98 » by KungFuJoe » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:18 am

Only two games but Zion looks bad. I've been watching him since his Jr year in high school. This isn't a matter of "he's playing with grown men now"...he looks like he doesn't even care on defense.

I wonder if he's going through some personal/mental issues right now.

- Knee injury set back
- All the talk about him having to learn to walk again
- Controversy around his family getting money illegally or whatever his former agent was trying to brew up
- Now on lock down with COVID raging the country (this might actually be affecting him the most)

He just looks disinterested. Even on offense. He can still score because he's THAT good...but he's not even really going for offensive rebounds. He has one move...some kind of hard dribble towards the basket and then a spin a move to his left hand. Or he looks for a back door cut.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#99 » by trwi7 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:34 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
Crizzle wrote:Image

I fixed it for you.

(I'm only joking, Pels fans-- I saw an opportunity for a cheap joke and I took it because I'm a clown. Forgive me?)

"You know, Joe. Next week comes before the year 2048."
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,286

Post#100 » by Dacost » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:36 am

He looks and plays like Zach Randolph but with with freakish jumping ability.

The defense is also just like ZBO.

Return to The General Board