Tyronn Lue: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Will 'Have To Adjust To My System And My Program'

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,918

Re: Tyronn Lue: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Will 'Have To Adjust To My System And My Program' 

Post#21 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Current NBA coaches thinking they have any power in an org over a superstar player is delusional.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,748

Re: Tyronn Lue: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Will 'Have To Adjust To My System And My Program' 

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 pm

“Coaching system”, right......
Ingles is cooked.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,571

Post#23 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:35 pm

The funny thing is he'll probably win a championship and then be framed as some type of guru for winning with the most talented team in the league. Without the bubble weirdness I think they would have won this year.
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 982

Post#25 » by Ree4erMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Homer38 wrote:But also I also have to be able to adjust to their comfort zone and what makes them better.

Sounded good at first. Looks like Kahwi and PG still gonna have their way.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,969

Post#26 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 pm

We don't really have any strong indications of Lue's coaching style. He took over for David Blatt the year they won the title, and made only minor changes in my memory. He put Kevin Love in better spots, but mostly we only thought of those Cavs as Lebronball and Lebron's team. Lue's winning percentage is massive in the regular season and the playoffs, but that doesn't mean a lot when you've only coached 1 team and that team happened to be a contender (in a weak conference).

We can say for sure that Ty Lu hasn't messed up bad yet. He coached the Cavs to a title, and the Cavs never lost to a weak EC team (though they got dragged to 7 games by a 48 win Indiana team and a baby Boston squad in their final year). The defense sagged badly in Lue's time there, but that probably had to do with personnel (losing Delly, JR getting older, only adding offensive pieces to the rotation like Korver) and the fact that this team kept trading defense for more shooting.

I think this is our first real look at Ty Lue. The Clippers are mega talented but lack an identity. They just finished as a top 5 team on offense and defense (one of the biggest indicators of a championship contender), but they felt amorphous and directionless most of the year. The team lacks passing. When Kawhi Leonard is your initiator and primary/only creator, that's probably not amazing. The defense was solid all year, but I think we all thought this team had another gear of total clamp down that we didn't see when it was needed against a very good Denver defense.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,323

Post#27 » by Jedi32 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:38 pm

I actually like Lue and think he will do well.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,800

Post#28 » by RyderMike » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm

"[Leonard and George] are going to have to adjust to my system and my program. But also I also have to be able to adjust to their comfort zone and what makes them better.

Reporter: "What's your system Ty?"

Ty: "Listen to what my star player wants and then do that"
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,770

Post#29 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Is it to soon to ask why didn’t Lue get them to adjust to Doc’s system in the first place?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#30 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Homer38 wrote:
Lue blamed the Clippers' lack of team chemistry last season on George, Paul, and Patrick Beverley missing games due to injuries.

More on this

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259964/Tyronn-Lue-Kawhi-Leonard-Paul-George-Will-Have-To-Adjust-To-My-System-And-My-Program

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30163596/la-clippers-court-chemistry-issues-due-lack-continuity

Paul George getting double the blame? :lol: ...I see Kawahi still cant be mentioned
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#31 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:47 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Dino353 wrote:Lue coached LeBron James and Kyrie Irving and now he is coaching Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. LeBron must've chuckled when he hearrd Ty was coaching the Clippers.

Wasnt Lue auditioned before they looked at Vogel, but he didnt want to coach there for "some" reason? :lol:

naw Lakers were smart enough NOT to offer him 5yr deal n he felt insulted, Lou will not last his full 5yr term :lol:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#32 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:49 pm

This is what we need. That Digital Underground "do what cha like" Doc Rivers system is out the window. Talk that sh*t Lue and set the standard. Lets Go!
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,115

Post#33 » by LesGrossman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:51 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
Dino353 wrote:Lue coached LeBron James and Kyrie Irving and now he is coaching Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. LeBron must've chuckled when he hearrd Ty was coaching the Clippers.

Wasnt Lue auditioned before they looked at Vogel, but he didnt want to coach there for "some" reason? :lol:

naw Lakers were smart enough NOT to offer him 5yr deal n he felt insulted, Lou will not last his full 5yr term :lol:

They wanted him though, he just got too greedy. Its not like they were against him.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,431

Post#34 » by levon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Do people still use "program" in the NBA? Genuinely asking
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#35 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:53 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Does Lue not realize that LeBron isn't there to tell him what to do?

Hopefully he can find the right person to step over him in the Clippers.

Kawahi during a TO as Lue as him for input

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#36 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Is it to soon to ask why didn’t Lue get them to adjust to Doc’s system in the first place?

He was an assistant who wasn't going to overstep the head coach who has been there seven years doing things his way. Lue was just added to the staff this year and even that was interrupted from Covid 19. He was supposed to be the Lakers head coach. Sam Cassell is the guy that's been with Doc for season after season.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,368

Post#37 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Lue would never let anybody step over him.. :thinking:
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,296

Post#38 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:12 pm

"Leadership is different," Lue said. "You can talk about our two players, Kawhi and PG, they lead by example. ... And you are not going to have the best players be the natural leaders at all times. It doesn't happen like that. I think a lot of leadership has to come from me, has to come from Kawhi, PG, Lou and Pat Beverley. It's going to be collective."

RIP Trez. Really wonder what wasteland he'll end up in.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#39 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm

aka : I signed a longer deal than you two, so I'm trying to show some power here to legitimize that huge contract Ballmer just game me.

but everyone knows this is just tough talk because you 2 are the reason anyone cares about the Clippers.
If you guys leave, we're back to making bad lottery picks-

Oh wait we traded those all to OKC.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,932

Post#40 » by Heej » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Ernie, LeBron James ain't walkin in through that door
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord

Return to The General Board